With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Prowling for Angels [HUNT, Self]

Postby Thunder » 01/08/2016 10:12 PM

Drasinatte paused when he reached the top of the sand dune. He narrowed his crimson eyes, scanning the vast, flat area beneath him, looking for signs of those strange creatures people had seen lately. Unfortunately, nothing resembling a moving patch of stars came into his vision. Or perhaps something was there, but it was too dark to see. The sun had set hours ago, and without any source of light other than a crescent moon and the faint glimmer of a town in the distance, it was incredibly hard to make out anything against the dark desert landscape. He frowned and stalked back in the direction he came from.

The Lost Ones, folks were calling those creatures. With patterns on their coats and hides resembling the night sky, they were said to have come from the Heavenly Vaults, cursed to walk on earth for an ancient wrong. If the stories were true, these beings could, in fact, be Seraphim.

And if they were Seraphim, Drasinatte wanted their blood on his claws.

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Re: Prowling for Angels [HUNT, Self]

Postby Thunder » 02/17/2016 5:07 AM

ImageImage

Jason shivered and hugged himself as he took his first step into the small desert town. He had never been to a desert before, and he had severely underestimated how cold it would be at night. He was wearing only a hoodie and sweatpants, with a t-shirt and his boxers underneath. The subzero temperatures sank into every part of his body. There was an odd sensation in his nostrils; he suspected it was his snot freezing up as quickly as it dripped.

"I guess this," he sighed wearily, "must be what they mean by 'chilled to the bone'!"

Within his mind, a masculine voice spoke up. "Be grateful that we found civilization on time," it snorted. "If you had spent a second longer wandering out in the sands, you would have developed frostbite...or worse."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/17/2016 5:25 AM

In the town, there were mostly only streetlights on, casting a warm, yellow glow over the already quite yellow sandstone buildings. Nobody was out at this hour, though a handful of establishments, the inns and pubs, still had life inside of them, indicated by the faint sound of music and chatter. Jason imagined the majority of residents were sleeping snugly under heavy blankets. He once again lamented his poor wardrobe choice. He'd be warm soon, at the very least, once he could find lodging affordable for his meager wallet.

"There's one over there," the voice in his head remarked. Jason looked to the left and saw a dinky, run-down motel with a wooden sign hanging over its door. THE WILT'MOTEL, read its faded red paint. Jason thought that the place might have had better business if it hadn't tried to include such a horrible and not even funny pun in its name.

"Are you sure, Kuuriel?" Jason asked the invisible speaker. "It looks kinda sketchy..."

"Don't be ridiculous," Kuuriel snorted. "We're runaways here, not tourists. What's that phrase you humans like to say? Ah, yes, beggars can't be choosers."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/17/2016 5:36 AM

Jason went up to the motel's front door and attempted to pull it. It was difficult to move, as if there was something stuck between it and the wall, and he only pried it open after a few seconds of struggle. Inside was a small lobby with a beat up couch situated in front of a cathode ray tube TV. There was only one person at the front desk, a thuggish looking, middle aged man staring into space, listening to a radio playing static.

Hesitantly, Jason approached the man and fished around in his pockets for his wallet. "Uh, hello," he greeted. The man continued to gaze off into the distance. Jason wasn't sure if he had even heard.

Clearing his throat, the boy tried again. "Um, excuse me, do you have any vacancies?"

"Yeah," the man replied, still without looking at his customer. He took a moment to scratch the stubble on his chin before holding out the palm of his hand. "Fifty keystones a night."

Jason placed the exact amount of cash in the man's hand. The man stuffed the money in his jeans, bent down, and fumbled around beneath the desk, coming back up with a rusty key. "Room 16," he grunted. "Down the hallway right there. To your left."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/17/2016 5:44 AM

Jason accepted the key, wondering if it would still be able to open the door in its sorry state. He didn't really want to know where this key had been. Uttering a quick thank you to the man, he headed through the hallway and stopped in front of the correct room. He inserted the key into the lock. Amazingly, it succeeded in getting him inside.

There was a bed for one, a tiny desk in the corner with a chair, and another extremely old television. There was only one lamp in the room, and when Jason went to turn it on, it flickered madly. He dumped his backpack on the chair and ran briefly into the bathroom to piss. The light in the bathroom didn't quite work either.

"So, how long are we planning to stay here again?" Jason asked, pulling his pants down.

"Probably three days at most," Kuuriel replied. "It didn't take those damn Seraphs very long to find us at the last place we stayed."

The pants went back up. The toilet flushed. "That's...actually better than I expected. Do you think we'd have time to look around the desert a little?"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/09/2016 3:38 AM

Kuuriel laughed. "Look around the desert? What else is there to see other than miles and miles of sand? Considering the amount of danger we're in, I would advise against wandering around too much."

Jason sighed. He returned to the main room and threw himself onto the bed, suddenly feeling tired. The bed creaked loudly, and he winced. The mattress wasn't much of a mattress at all. It was hard on his back and he thought that even sleeping on the floor would be more comfortable. "I know we're in trouble," he said, "but would it really hurt to explore just a little bit? We've been focusing on running away for days. I'm exhausted. I want to at least enjoy all these places we're passing through. I'm sure there's something interesting in the desert. And if the Seraphs won't catch up until three days, well..."

"Do so if you want," Kuuriel replied. "It's not like I can stop you anyway."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/09/2016 4:24 AM

It was true. Though Kuuriel lived within Jason, Jason was still the one in control of their shared body. If he decided to run out into the desert, there was nothing Kuuriel could do. Still, the young man felt responsible for his companion's safety. They had been stuck together -- quite literally -- ever since that fateful day a year ago. He could not abandon Kuuriel now.

Jason wrapped the sheets around himself. He could feel sleep descending on him, making his eyelids heavy and his thoughts fuzzy. "I'll keep us safe, I promise," he murmured, relishing the warmth of the blankets. "Good night, Kuuriel."

He could picture Kuuriel rolling his eyes. "Fine," the presence in his mind said. "But don't blame me if anything bad happens. Good night, Jason. And remember...I'm the one who gives you your powers."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate