With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

[C9][B8][I7] [S4][L6][F9]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/02/2016 9:16 PM

Lenjack stopped in his tracks and tensed at the voice. "Fenloc?" he called out, turning around and eventually spotting the Slate Stargoyle hovering just a little up there in the sky. "What are you doing?" he asked, ignoring Fenloc's own question and seemingly getting agitated. "You're supposed to be scanning the skies! In the other direction!"

Fenloc landed, and Lenjack's complaints weren't enough to get rid of the grin on his face. "Hey, calm down, Jack," he said, getting close to the Gold Stargoyle and wrapping an arm around the other's shoulders. "That's exactly what I did, as a matter of fact!"

Lenjack's expression went from anger to surprise, and he gasped. "So if you're here... Did you find them?!"

"What, the Jirbii?" Fenloc asked, and Lenjack nodded. "Oh, nah, I didn't find them," Fenloc replied, and Lenjack's expression went sour. "Hey, hold on, let me finish. I didn't find the Jirbii, but I found a tiny group who happens to be looking for them too."

Lenjack's expression didn't change much, but he quietly waited for Fenloc to keep going. Surely Fenloc had hatched a plan to use that group for their own purposes, right?
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[C9][B8][I7] [S4][L7][F10]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/02/2016 9:23 PM

"And, not only that..." Fenloc continued, his grin getting wider, "... but there are two interesting specimens in that little group. Hmm, well, I guess they all are." He'd been thinking of the two Mocha Picchus specifically, but a Treasure Zipala could net them a nice profit, too, now that he was giving it some thought.

"What kind of pets are they?" Lenjack asked, raising an eyebrow and allowing himself to land on the ground.

"The leader appears to be a naive and overly-optimistic Cecropia Mocha Picchu," Fenloc started, and right away, he noticed Lenjack's expression changing. "There's also a Matcha Mocha Picchu; those guys are still pretty unheard of right now! And finally, there's a Treasure Zipala. I bet he could net us some good money if we got a hold of him too."

Hearing all this, Lenjack seemed a bit more interested. "Nice. People do go a little crazier over those 'seasonal' varieties like a Cecropia," he mused.

"Oh, but that's not all," Fenloc added, and now Lenjack looked legitimately intrigued.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C9][B8][I7] [S4][L8][F11]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/02/2016 9:31 PM

"While I was following them and eavesdropping on their little conversation..." Fenloc explained, "I heard the Cecropia one mention something about an encyclopedia. She said something about not wanting to capture the Jirbii, but documenting information about them."

"Information? Encyclopedia?" Lenjack echoed, but he was confused more than anything.

"From what I could gather, it's not nearly as fancy as it sounds," Fenloc continued, "but I was thinking... If we tag along with that little group there, we can have them do the hard work of finding the pests through this weather, and we'll be able to steal valuable information about a whole bunch of different pet species!"

As Fenloc explained his idea, Lenjack grinned. "Which we could use to catch our prey a lot faster."

Fenloc's grin only got wider. "You got it! All we gotta do is earn that little group's trust, and then..."

"When they least expect it... we swipe the whole little pack of Jirbii and their exclusive information stash," Lenjack finished, and the two grinned at each other. "Now this is what I came here for."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C10][B9][I8] [S4][L8][F11]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/02/2016 10:05 PM

"Ugh! This map is useless!" Cynson complained, stopping in her tracks and crunching up the map in her paws. "It's just sand, sand, and more sand!" She looked from the map to the road — sand? — ahead and back to the map. "How am I supposed to make any sense of this?"

"What else were you expecting?" Isulma asked, slowly raising a questioning eyebrow up at the Cecropia. "There's little else in deserts but sand."

"Aren't there supposed to be a whole variety of creatures who live in Wilt'no?" Cynson asked, turning around and looking back at Isulma with disappointed eyes. "I knew it'd be hot and filled with more sand than the eye can see, but..." She slowly turned back around, and her ears drooped just a little as nothing happened. Not even a small breeze to move a bit of sand around; not even a ball of twine. Nothing.

Baroc looked at her sister, feeling genuine sadness for her, but she didn't know what to say. "That's why I suggested that we get a guide, Cynson," Isulma pointed out, taking a few steps forward to stand by the Cecropia. "At least it might be informative and less unbearably boring." A guide could share information about the culture and the life around Wilt'no Desert and bring the journey a little bit more life; not to mention what would most likely be an opportunity to save a lot of time.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C11][B10][I9] [S4][L8][F11]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/02/2016 10:13 PM

Cynson didn't say anything back to Isulma, but the Zipala wasn't going to stand there for ages. "It's either that or going back home, Cynson," he said bluntly, trying to stir a reaction from the Mocha Picchu.

Cynson's ears perked up at the words. Going back home? Giving up? Calling it quits? The desert really did look like a terrifying place; the unbearable heat and the seemingly endless landscape that promised them nothing but a waste of time and heatstroke. Maybe it really was too much for their small group?

"No," she said quietly, and she shook her head. "No!" she said again, but louder this time. "That's not me! I'm not going back home!" She turned around, and she looked determined. "You two can go back if you want, but I'm not! I haven't even tried yet!" She started walking a few steps forward, deeper into the desert. "If traveling alone is what I need to do sometimes to accomplish my dream and fill up my encyclopedia..." She paused.

"Then I'll do it!"

It was silent between the three of them; up until Baroc approached her sister. "Oh, Cynson, don't take it like that," she said, putting a paw on her sister's shoulder. "Of course we'll travel with you; Isulma is just saying those things to help," she added, looking back at the Zipala.

Isulma rolled his eyes. "That's one way to look at it."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C12][B11][I10] [S4][L8][F11]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/03/2016 5:03 PM

Baroc gave Isulma a sad look, as if to tell him to try and play along. Cynson turned around to look at her sister, but she looked down shortly after. "It's okay, you don't have to say that. I know you two didn't really want to come here."

"Well, that's true..." Baroc admitted quietly, and when her sister's expression dropped even more, she brought her chin up with a paw. "But we're in this together! Doing this is your dream, and I promised I'd help you however I can."

Cynson looked at her sister, and her eyes shone. She looked at Isulma, with Baroc doing the same; he stared back in silence for a bit; and then he looked away and groaned. "I suppose I did say that I owe you," he whispered, but just loudly enough for the two Picchus to hear him. With a huge smile from Cynson and a happy one from Baroc, the two Mocha Picchus went straight for the Zipala, jumping up on him to trap him into a hug.

"Ugh!" Isulma complained, but despite his efforts to step away, he found himself with two Picchus clinging to him. "All right, all right, I get it! Cut it out!" he snapped, and he shook himself in an effort to throw off the two Picchus; just to have them cling tighter.

"I love you guys!" Cynson squealed, and her hug only got tighter. "You're the best!"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C13][B12][I11] [S4][L8][F11]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/03/2016 6:04 PM

Since Isulma was getting agitated, Cynson let go of him and, with her determination back on track, she brought her attention back to the map.

Meanwhile, Baroc let go as well, but she took the opportunity to stay on Isulma's back. The Zipala stared at her, and while she tried to ignore it for a bit, she eventually looked up at him with a sheepish smile. "You're getting off too," he said.

"But... I'm so tired," she replied, and her smile grew bigger as Isulma's eyes narrowed.

"Off," he ordered. With a sad sigh, Baroc complied.

"Okay, so you're saying a guide could help," Cynson said, turning to her two companions. "I guess we'd find one back in the city?"

"Most likely," Isulma replied, nodding, and turning to look behind him. "One of the locals might work just as well. Some guides wander the desert as well... but considering how we haven't seen anyone else here, it might be wiser to turn around and go back in town."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C14][B13][I12] [S4][L8][F11]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/06/2016 1:30 PM

Cynson narrowed her eyes at the map. "Ugh, but we've already walked this far." If they decided to go back into town, then it would be another trip back and forth. "At that point, we might as well go back for the day!"

In-between Isulma and Cynson trying to agree on what to do, Baroc had her attention fixed on something else. "Maybe... Maybe we could ask those Stargoyles over there?" she suggested, and her two companions looked where she was pointing. A little ways away from them was a pair of Stargoyles; they were seemingly talking to each other and hadn't noticed Cynson's group yet.

Cynson's face lit up. "Other pets!" she screeched, grabbing her sister abruptly and shaking her a little. "We're not alone!!" She let go and started running towards the Stargoyles. "Come on!! Let's go talk to them! Maybe they know about the Jirbii!"

Taken aback, and giving herself time to breathe again, Baroc struggled to follow her sister so quickly. "C-Cynson, wait!"

Isulma watched the two Picchus going straight for the pair up ahead. What a convenient coincidence that they would suddenly find other pets in this desert. But sometimes life did enjoy working in mysterious ways. Still, he made it his goal to keep the two Picchus out of trouble. He followed along, but he stayed a little ways behind, just in case.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C15][B14][I12] [S4][L9][F12]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/06/2016 1:40 PM

Once they were close enough, Cynson didn't waste any time trying to get the Stargoyles' attention. "Excuse me!! Hi!"

The two turned to the voice; the Gold Stargoyle blinked, and the Slate Stargoyle stepped forward. "Yeah? What's up?" he asked, speaking casually and looking genuinely inviting.

"Oh," Cynson breathed as they got closer and after she'd taken a good look at them. "My Gosh. Are you guys a Gold and Slate Stargoyles?!" she asked, holding her breath, and the two Stargoyles looked at each other.

"Sounds like a connoisseur," the Slate said to his friend with a smile before turning back to Cynson. "We sure are."

Cynson shrieked in a loud, high-pitched voice. "Oh my GOSH, I need you guys to tell me everything!" she said, her voice almost begging for them to stay long enough to help with her encyclopedia. She put her backpack down and immediately pulled out her notebook and pen. "I have so many questions! You're the rarest species of Stargoyles in all of Evelon!"

While the Cecropia was having a hard time breathing, the two Stargoyles smiled sheepishly at her in silence, and Baroc put a paw on her sister's shoulder. "Cynson," she called out, "that's not what we wanted to ask, remember?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C16][B15][I13] [S4][L10][F13]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/06/2016 1:50 PM

Cynson stared at her sister for a moment, and then the light bulb turned on. "Oh!!"

Baroc smiled sheepishly right back at the two Stargoyles. "I'm really sorry, my sister gets really excited when meeting species she's never seen in person before," she explained. "My name is Baroc, and this is my sister Cynson," she introduced, and she looked around her. "And the Zipala who's coming over there is our friend too; his name is Isulma!"

The two Stargoyles followed with their eyes as Baroc introduced the small group. "Gotcha," the Slate Stargoyle said, nodding. "I'm Fenloc, and this is my brother Lenjack," he introduced in return, and Lenjack just waved a greeting to the other group.

Cynson, upon hearing that the two were brothers, let out another excited scream. "Brothers?!"

But before she could go any further, Baroc stepped in front of her. "I'm so sorry," she said, smiling a bit more.

Fenloc shook his head. "No problem. But listen, we'd be happy to help ya out with all your questions you got," he told the two Picchus, and as Cynson was about to stop breathing entirely, he raised a paw to stop her. "But before that, could you maybe help us out with something else, too?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C17][B16][I13] [S4][L10][F14]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/06/2016 1:58 PM

Cynson gasped loudly and abruptly pushed her sister aside. "Anything!" she screeched. "We'll help you with anything you need!!"

"Cynson!" Baroc scolded, grabbing her sister and trying to pull her back. "Don't go promising something without asking what it is first!"

Fenloc chuckled and shook his head. "Don't worry, it's not a big thing. See, the locals around here told us they have a problem with some little pest creatures. Jirbii?" Cynson, it looked like, had stopped breathing, and her eyes had grown a few times their original size. "Anyway, we've been looking around for a while now, and we can't seem to find any, despite the so-called 'infestation'," he said, raising an eyebrow and looking up. "Don't suppose you guys have seen any around here?"

"This is just PERFECT!!" Cynson screamed, and Baroc actually flinched. "We're looking for the Jirbii too!!"

"Figured so!" Fenloc said, grinning at the group. "I don't think I've ever seen so many explorers before, way back in town. Apparently they're a new species to the majority, so everyone wants to get their paws and claws on them!"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C18][B16][I14] [S4][L11][F15]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/07/2016 12:42 PM

"I know, right?!" Cynson agreed, waving a paw dismissively. "They're all the rage right now! Oh, this is so perfect! I can't wait for us to-"

"What's in it for you, exactly?" Before Cynson could keep on gushing out all her excitement, Isulma spoke up. He stared at the two Stargoyles; what a wonderful coincidence that their group had appeared just now, and with the same goal as they did.

Fenloc blinked at the Zipala's words, and Lenjack just turned to look at his brother. "Well, we're both looking for Jirbii, right? Don't you think it'd go faster if we worked together?" he explained. "And in the meantime, my brother and I can help satisfy your curiosity," he added, this time turning to Cynson, in reference to her encyclopedia.

Isulma narrowed his eyes; as wary as he was, he couldn't accuse these strangers to be up to anything malicious. If anything... not yet. "I suppose," he resigned himself to say, but he would be watching those two Stargoyles.

"Well, now that Isulma is satisfied," Cynson said, intentionally speaking out a jab towards the Zipala, "how about we get going? Those Jirbii aren't gonna find themselves! And my encyclopedia won't fill itself, either!"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C19][B17][I15] [S4][L12][F16]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/24/2016 1:52 PM

As usual, Cynson led the way onward to adventure. Baroc followed behind her, together with Isulma. Finally, the two Stargoyles were walking next to each other and keeping close to Cynson.

The brothers exchanged a few glances. That Treasure Zipala might end up being a problem for them; he seemed naturally suspicious of strangers. They would have to watch their every word and every move if they wanted to earn the Zipala's trust. If anything, they would need to be on their best behavior if they wanted him to get off their case.

"Oh my gosh, I have so many questions," Cynson said, flipping through the pages of her notebook, a small pen in paw. "I don't even know where to start!" Lenjack and Fenloc looked at each other, and then the Cecropia added, "Oh, well, I guess a title for each of your species works out!" The scribbling started, and the Stargoyles turned back to the Mocha Picchu, quietly waiting for Cynson to ask her endless reserve of questions.

After a few minutes of audible writing, she was ready. "Okay! I'm ready!" she announced, and she turned to the two Stargoyles. "Tell me literally everything."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous