With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: Rosewater Rain [self]

Postby crow » 06/24/2017 3:37 AM

The caravan gathered at the edge of the city, to quarter their camels and work out arrangements for the night. The town had wide, camel-friendly streets, but even so, it wasn't quite built for a caravan to walk through at its leisure. Besides that, the beasts needed rest, which they would have while their masters stayed and took care of business in town.

Dante dismounted gratefully from his own beast, sodden clothes and all. He had elected to put them back on since it would be easier to disrobe after he dismounted.

I'm only honest when it rains.
If I time it right, the thunder breaks
When I open my mouth.
I want to love you but I don't know how.

Imp Docs | Breeders | Journal | Wishlist | Trades
crow
Ultimate Pet Veteran!
Ultimate Pet Veteran!

Keystones: 705
Donate

Postby crow » 06/24/2017 3:39 AM

The camel looked just as glad to be rid of him, probably not the least of which was because the sodden cloaks hadn't exactly made him lighter. It followed when he led, though Dante didn't know whether it was because they'd bonded, or whether it simply knew that he was leading it to food, as was the way when its caravan reached a town.

Either way, it let him end things on a good note. He quartered the camel with its fellows, and laid a hand on its flank.

When I open my mouth.

crow
Ultimate Pet Veteran!
Ultimate Pet Veteran!

Donate

Postby crow » 06/24/2017 3:48 AM

"This is where we part ways," he said. The camel had already turned away to stick its nose in a manger, chewing away. Dante had to laugh at that. "Indifferent until the end, are we?" He couldn't begrudge the camel for its attitude, and with a last pat, he left it be. It was just as well anyway, since he didn't care to be remembered much these days.

He had actually forgotten about the boy from before. As he turned the corner, however, he found that Rava hadn't forgotten about him.

When I open my mouth.

crow
Ultimate Pet Veteran!
Ultimate Pet Veteran!

Donate

Postby crow » 06/24/2017 4:09 AM

The boy was leaning against a post, his tousled hair heavy with rain. The weight pulled it straighter, and the way it framed his face now lent him an air of androgyny. His clothes fared better, but the overall effect brought to mind something like a drowned rat.

He was grinning.

"This is your kind of weather, isn't it?" he said, as if they were great friends sharing a joke. Before, Dante might have wondered where he found that bravado, but the war had taught him many things.

When I open my mouth.

crow
Ultimate Pet Veteran!
Ultimate Pet Veteran!

Donate

Postby crow » 06/24/2017 4:15 AM

Rava wasn't the first brazen orphan boy Dante had met--- and what else could he be? Dante didn't pay much attention, but he'd never seen an adult around the boy in a way that suggested any particular bond. If he was looking to attach himself to Dante, however... Dante wished he could tell the boy to save his breath.

"People keep telling me that," he said.

Rava's grin widened. "It's because you dress like that." He indicated Dante's sodden ensemble with a broad hand motion.

When I open my mouth.

crow
Ultimate Pet Veteran!
Ultimate Pet Veteran!

Donate

Postby crow » 06/24/2017 4:21 AM

Dante sighed. He supposed he was in no place to call anyone a drowned rat; he was sure he looked a sight right now himself. "Yes, well, if you'll excuse me. I need to find lodgings for the night." The sooner, the better. That way he could peel all this off and be done with it. He suspected the rider from before had been ribbing him when he'd mentioned that the sun might come back. Looking at the sky now, heavy as it was with clouds, Dante doubted the skies would clear until nightfall.

When I open my mouth.

crow
Ultimate Pet Veteran!
Ultimate Pet Veteran!

Donate

Postby crow » 06/24/2017 4:24 AM

He should have known better than to mention something like that. Rava's eyes lit up with that same gleam Dante had seen in them the first time they'd met. "I know a place," he said. Dante was already trying to come up with a reasonable way to say no immediately, without hearing him out. "It's a good deal. Clean, too. Safer than what you'll find, looking like that."

It rankled Dante that he probably had a point about this. It was true that he couldn't pass as a native here under any circumstances.

When I open my mouth.

crow
Ultimate Pet Veteran!
Ultimate Pet Veteran!

Donate

Previous