With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

[Exploration] Back to the Barracks

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:14 PM

(Temporary form until she gets her own)
(Continued from here)

Sam quirked a small, sad smile. “Okay, Liz. I promise. I’ll see ya when I get back, okay?” She reached forward and tapped Lizzie’s nose, and she offered Sam a watery smile, clearly trying not to cry.

“Y-yeah. Take care, Sam.”

She stepped away, and Sam watched her go, weaving through the men to say farewell to her brother. She watched her until she couldn’t see her anymore, and then turned back around obediently for Eugene to continue adjusting and checking her equipment. Muck was standing beside her with a smirk, and she rolled her eyes towards him.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: [Exploration] Back to the Barracks

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:20 PM

“Okay, I’ll bite. Why is this not more fun, nurse?” Sam asked, having now taken to calling Muck by his new nickname; he seemed to get a kick out of it, so she was happy to oblige. It kept him from calling her ‘nurse,’ in any case and that was something she was glad for.

“Look over there.”

Sam had a hard time turning her head with her gear on, nearly tumbling forward as Eugene gave a hard yank to her harness to be sure it was in place. She knew it was because she was so much smaller than what he was used to, so every sharp tug and twist nearly sent her sprawling backwards or forwards into him or someone else, and he had to adjust to be gentler than normal.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:21 PM

Once Sam managed to shimmy around and take a peek for herself, she mentally cringed as she finally got a look at the convoy Lizzie had hitched a ride on. The jeep that had pulled up held none other than Captain Sobel. She’d only been under his command for a week, and while she didn’t hate him, he was far from her favorite person. He was tough, and he made her work, and she respected that. But he would have gotten a lot more respect if he was fair too; he was too petty to be an officer, if you asked her. “Ick,” she managed, grimacing as Muck nodded emphatically.

“I know, right?!” he exclaimed, looking over the map in his hands.

Sam caught sight of Lizzie hopping into a jeep, waving as best she could as her friend drove out of sight and back down the air field. Her gaze then turned to Sobel, and she saw a head of red hair in front of the former Easy Company commander and turned to Muck with an accusatory glare. “So, wait…did you leave Malarkey by himself with Sobel?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:21 PM

“Um…maybe.”

“Coward.”

“Damn straight.”

Sam felt a smile tug at the corner of her lips as she looked up at Eugene, who had come to stand in front of her. An intense look of concentration was scrawled across his face as he checked and re-checked straps, buckles and supplies.

“Ya got your medical bag?”

“Check.”

“Bandages? Plasma? Morphine? Sulfa?”

“Check times four.”

“Scissors, bayonet, entrenching tool, rations, helmet-” Here, he rapped on her helmet with his knuckles, earning him a glare as he grinned. “-iodine, penicillin, dressing, plaster, safety pins, tourniquet?”

“Check, check, and yes, check. I was a medical supply officer, you know.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:22 PM

“I know,” Eugene replied, his smile fading to be replaced by a more serious expression. He reached forward and adjusted the white armband with the red cross on Sam’s arm, his eyes fluttering back to her face. “I just want you tuh be prepared. You never know what you’re gonna run into. And I want you to be safe. Don’t do anythin’ stupid, ya hear?”

“Stupid?” Muck chirped from beside her just as Malarkey jogged up, looking annoyed and Penkala wandered over to join their group. “She agreed to jump out of a perfectly good airplane with the bunch of us. I think she’s already way past that point.”

Sam had to smile at that, though she was still having a hard time really managing to move with her chute and reserve and bags strapped to her, otherwise she might’ve punched his arm. She knew once she landed she could discard a lot of what was weighing her down, but she worried about actually being able to stand up once she hit the ground.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:23 PM

“Sure you will!” Muck interjected, sidling away from Malarkey, who had slugged him in the arm for abandoning him with their former captain. “You’ve got us looking out for you. So if you land over there and can’t find the good Doc here, then just look for one of us.”

“Yeah,” Penkala interjected. “Muck will be the one with the big mouth, and Don over here will be your fellow red-head in combat.”

“Gee, thanks,” Sam replied, feeling her spirits lighten despite her tone. Maybe they weren’t all that bad she’d have to learn to start trusting them soon enough anyway. She was going to be spending the next however many weeks or months with their group, after all. She glanced at Malarkey, a faint smile on her face. “Well, if anything, I assume I can count on a fellow Irishman to help me out?”

“Us crazy fools gotta stick together,” Don fired back, his own smile teasing.

“Saints preserve us, she’s actually gettin’ along with people!” Muck crowed, and Sam elbowed him as hard as she could in the gut (which was his reserve chute) with a growl.

“Don’t tempt fate, nurse.”

“Sir, yes sir.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:23 PM

Jumping out of a plane with full a pack, with a bunch of men also in full gear, was a bit more of a struggle than Sam anticipated. She as bumped and jostled, squished between the men and their larger bulk. It felt much like a training jump, but with far more weight and gear strapped to her body.

When the call came to ‘stand up’ and ‘hook up,’ Sam managed to do so by the grace of God, stumbling back and forth into Eugene in front of her and Muck behind her as she checked Gene’s straps. The numbers went down the line, and when Sam’s turn came, she shouted “Five okay!” and patted Gene’s shoulder. The light turned green a moment later, and everyone was shoving forward. It was still hard to move, to walk, or to even shuffle, but she somehow managed.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:24 PM

Luckily, once she was out the door (which she struggled to get to, and was thankful for Muck pushing her along from behind) gravity took care of the rest and she tumbled through the air before the jerk of her chute opening stopped her fall.

She managed to look up, catching sight of hundreds of other dark green chutes attached to men and equipment falling all around her, before her descent forced her eyes back to her feet and the rapidly approaching ground. Sam managed to brace just before the impact, tucking and rolling as she hit and her supplies sent her tumbling further than she might otherwise have. Her chute dragged her through the dirt, and it took her a few moments of panic induced struggling to get upright, before she pulled her bayonet from her hip and sliced through the cords, freeing herself.

She slapped the release on her chest, and once free from her harness, she dropped her reserve chute and took off, medic bag clutched to her hip. She was forced to dodge around falling troopers and falling equipment, her eyes scanning frantically for a familiar face until a hand reached out and grabbed her upper arm as she ran. She was nearly jerked backward as she came face to face with Eugene, who looked a little ruffled as he held his own bag close to his side.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Let’s go.”

Sam nodded, allowing Eugene to lead the way as she struggled to keep up with his longer-legged strides. They followed the influx of men, and briefly, Sam wondered why no one was shooting at them. Hadn’t they jumped into a combat zone? Wasn’t that what was supposed to happen? Pushing aside her confusion, she followed Eugene as he led her to a ditch, already filling up with other Easy company soldiers.

She managed to stumble into the ditch beside the medic, breathing heavily as the adrenaline from the jump wore off. “Eugene,” she whispered, not daring to raise her voice. “Is-is this normal? No one is shooting at us. Where is everyone?”

Gene was straining to see through the throng of soldiers in front of him, and knew that none of them seemed concerned over the lack of action. They were almost relaxed, unhassled even as the planes buzzed overhead, back to England. He turned back to Sam, a perplexed look on his face. “Not sure,” he admitted, just as Hoobler and Cobb snuck by, crouching along the ditch with something in their arms. Sam ignored them as Eugene watched them go. “But I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Sam agreed, leaning back against the soft grass of the ditch and breathing heavily. She felt a hand land softly on her back, rubbing awkwardly soothing circles, and glanced over at Gene. “You okay? Did your drop go all right?” he asked, though he was still looking down the line of men, as if waiting for someone to give them orders.

“Fine, Gene,” Sam admitted, though the thrill of the jump had worn off, and her jittery stomach and nervousness had come back full force. She wasn’t about to tell him that though. Eugene opened his mouth to say something else, when the orders to move out came down the line.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:25 PM

The soldiers moved as one, jumping up from the ditch and starting out into the fields. Sam felt very exposed as she and Gene found themselves walking alongside Christiansen and his machine gun. She’d never met Christiansen, but he offered her a reassuring smile, though she could tell he didn’t recognize her as anyone he knew personally. His eyes darted to the medic band on her arm, and he seemed to nod to himself, as if realizing who she was.

“You the new medic?” he asked quietly, facing forward as his eyes scanned the horizon all around them.

“Yeah,” Sam replied, her voice still no more than a whisper. It felt wrong to talk any louder than that in such a quiet countryside. “I’m Sam. You are?” She figured she might as well get to know each of their names and faces. She didn’t know who she’d be treating, and it was easier to calm someone down if you know their name; it provided a measure of stability and something to focus on when they were in pain.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Pat Christiansen. Nice to meetcha.” He slanted her a sideways look. “Sergeant Lipton says you’re a girl. That true?”

Sam was surprised at the blasé way he said that, and jerked her head to look at him. He was still smiling amiably, no judgement written on his face. “Yeah,” she replied hesitantly, clutching her bag tighter. “I am. So what? Is there a problem with that?” She couldn’t help the defensiveness; it was her knee-jerk reaction when she was feeling uncomfortable.

“Nope, no problem, doc,” Christiansen replied, shrugging one shoulder under his equipment. “As long as you do your job, same as the rest of us, I don’t see a problem with it. Just be careful, okay?”

Sam couldn’t help the shock and confusion that colored her face, and blinked rapidly. “Um, okay?” She hadn’t expected such easy acceptance. But then again, he was only one person. Christiansen seemed to like her answer, and nodded, blue eyes brightening just slightly, before facing forward again.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Sam inched closer to Gene, giving Christiansen a wary look, as if not quite believing how friendly he’d been. The officers had briefed the men about her the night she’d gotten back from her training, but she’d had no idea they told them she was a girl. She thought only a few of them knew but she supposed the cat was out of the bag. Surprisingly, Sam felt a lot better about it than she thought she would. She didn’t foresee anyone trying to shove her into a dress or heels while she was out in the field, so she supposed it was safe enough to be herself with them, if only for a time. Sam decided she would push the worry about her gender to the back of her mind; if they weren’t concerned, then neither should she be. She had more important things to worry about, after all.

She tried to remember which officer Lipton was, and then recalled an older man with kind eyes and a fresh scar on his cheek. She filed his name away, along with Christiansen’s, hoping to remember them later, if she needed to use them again. She definitely would have to work on getting to know everyone better; things would start getting confusing if she didn’t.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

She glanced up just in time to see that they were approaching a town, their progress through the fields slowing. “Eindhoven,” she heard Eugene mutter, just before a window banged open and sent most of the soldiers into a crouched position. Sam was only a fraction later as Eugene pulled her down next to him, already knowing exactly what to do in situations like these. “Easy,” he whispered, eyes trained on the window.

Sam followed his gaze, watching as an older woman unfurled an orange flag-like sheet and tied it to the window. “What are they doing?” she asked softly as the men started moving again, picking their way over and around a fence and into the streets of the city.

“Don’t know,” Eugene answered honestly. “Maybe the Germans are gone, ‘cuz no one is shootin’ at us right now. And those people don’t look hostile.” He gave a nod of his head to the people who had begun to line the streets, waving French flags and orange flags and starting a loud, raucous celebration.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:26 PM

There was chanting and singing, their flags bouncing joyously. Some women waved flowers and they wore orange ribbons on their dresses or their arms. Sam stuck close to Eugene as they started into town, before she felt a hand grab onto the material of her jacket arm, and turned to see Muck, Malarkey, and Penkala. Muck was the one who had grabbed her arm, but his eyes were more on the crowd that was gathering around the moving Americans.

“Can you believe this?” he cried excitedly, looking like a kid at a candy store. “I gotta say, this is way better than Normandy.”

“No one is shootin’ at us, at least,” Penkala remarked, and would have said more, had a woman not rushed up and kissed him on the lips.

“Uh, okay, now I officially love Holland,” Malarkey quipped, getting assailed by women on all sides, eager to kiss and hug and excitedly dance.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next