With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

The Shores Call {Self, M:G,L,HORROR}

Postby Saahs » 07/07/2017 5:00 PM

(( Warren/Leksa, human form. This takes place a few years in the past. ))

How long ago had it been that Leksa had fled the Fe'gan Mountains to the northeast? He'd lost track of time seemingly ages ago. Hours? Years? They all melded into one long, endless sense of time stopping and then going again for him, the movements of the desert villagers coming to a gradual halt before speeding up to such a rate he couldn't follow with his eyes.

And when was the last time he'd slept?

Peering around the small village of sand buildings and canopies, Leksa wandered towards the small house he'd been staying in, courtesy of one of the people that had found him blearily stumbling through the vast sands earlier that day. Now that the sun was no longer searing through his face and cooking the rest of him in the numerous layers he'd since then shed off, he was... a little more than exhausted.

He ducked down, nudging the beaded entry open enough for him to shuffle his way inside, limping to the bedroll that had been laid out for him. Next to which were his cold-weather clothes and weapons. But he didn't make it all the way onto the bedroll before he lost awareness of his surroundings, darkness blanketing him with a comforting coolness. And the sound of water lapping at a shoreline.
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Re: The Shores Call {Self, M:L?}

Postby Saahs » 07/07/2017 5:17 PM

Leksa opened his eyes, but was not met with the inside of a hut. There was no hard floor, no weaved floor mat behind him, no small window to look out through, and no sound of villagers going about their lives outside or even inside. In fact, it didn't sound like he was even indoors at all. Pushing himself up, he realised just how muffled his feet scraping against the bedroll had been. And how dark it was.

It was darker than night, yet he could see himself outlined by some otherwise unseen source of light. Tilting his head as he looked around, Leksa clapped his hands together once. Even that sounded muted; no echo, no snappy ring in his ears, nothing. Just a weak and almost distant plap. His nose crinkled. It was going to be one of those dreams, wasn't it? The kind where no matter how hard you pushed yourself, you just couldn't run away.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/07/2017 5:21 PM

There was, however, still the sounds of lapping water. But from which direction? It was coming from every possible direction, it felt like. Taking in a steadying breath, Leksa turned about to have a look at his surroundings.

Below him, was a blackened ground-- sand? Dirt? Rocks? He couldn't tell, it was neither rough nor smooth to step on, and he couldn't slide his foot easily across it yet there was no traction either. "Well that makes a whole load of sense," he murmured to himself with a dry hum, looking up. No, the sky was star-less and had no moon. Just endless black, like the ground he stood on.

But all around him?

Leksa was aware of the land that continued on behind him, but no matter how many times he looked over his shoulder, whatever was behind him changed, always-- always-- behind his line of vision. But in front of him, always in front of him... was a horizon of black water.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/07/2017 5:31 PM

There was nothing to reflect off the water's surface, and yet Leksa could see the small waves pulsing through the sea. He could see-- or perhaps, perceive-- that there was no end to these waters, the only bit of land interrupting its reaches being the isle he stood upon now. He was also aware of just how easily the waters could overpower the isle, and make it a part of them. Okay, he thought to himself, taking a step away from the shore, that's a little uncomfy!

When he took a step back, the shore line inched that much closer over the beach.

OKAY THAT'S WAY UNCOMFY.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/09/2017 2:44 AM

And yet, despite the ever rising levels of discomfort, Leksa couldn't help but... look out at the water any how. He blinked a few times, head slowly tilting to the side as he stared out at the weakly lapping waves. He took a step closer, metal canines bared and head still turning as he squinted hard to focus on the water's surface.

There was something in the water.

No... Not just something, Several things.

His heart hurtled up into his throat as the realisation hit him. And yet, just as he predicted, he couldn't run. In fact, Leksa found himself drawn even closer to the water's edge. The entire ocean rippled-- no, pulsed-- as his foot graced the line between land and sea, his toes barely touching. Yet it was enough to ripple out a deep boom like a heartbeat that shook him from the inside out.

He could feel the heads of whatever was in the water, turn to him.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/09/2017 2:49 AM

That in itself should have been enough to convince him to turn tail and run, or at least back away briskly in the hopes of being faster than the shifting shore line. But instead of doing anything sensible of the like, the man continued to wade into the water, now up to his knees. Leksa's eyes were open wide, and he could feel his heart pounding in his throat from the fear. Run. Run. Why can't I move the way I want to, run! Damn it!

But nothing happened, and soon he was waist deep in the water. And the creatures were approaching him. He could hear their laughs, distant and terrible. They were going to eat him. Slowly, tear him to shreds then put him back together after spitting his bones back out, over and over. They were going to kill him yet keep him alive for eternity. He was theirs. They had a new play thing, and they were going to enjoy every one of his screams.

With these thoughts, so kindly planted into his head, Leksa waded closer towards the creatures, who waited eagerly.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: The Shores Call {Self, M:G,L,HORROR}

Postby Saahs » 07/09/2017 3:20 PM

Up until now, Leksa had kept his hands from touching the water. But now, he slowly dropped them to his sides. The water was freezing to his palm, burned his knuckles, left his fingertips numb. The sensation changed as quickly as the water rose higher up his torso. It left him flinching, sometimes yelping, and other times he relaxed when it wasn't so painful.

But then the ocean floor underneath his feet gave way, and with a startled cry his slipped beneath the water's surface. Above, they had been nothing but silhouettes. But down here, he could see the creatures for what they were: emaciated things, they were, with numerous limbs on each side and a pair of thin, curled arms at the shoulders. Where their chests should have been instead were mouths, and their heads up on long necks were nothing but luminescent eyes and yet more mouths. While both beastly, their paws were almost hands. Long, thin tails lashed through the water, propelling them closer to Leksa.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/09/2017 3:29 PM

And their laughter was only louder down here. A hiss, that of pain as well as a threat and delight, mixed with the cries of gods knew how many other beings had perished in these waters, and the thunder of a beast much larger than all of these ones combined, summed up together to make their cackles. Some of them almost sounded like words, just past the line of being sensible, now stepping into the territory of being maddening.

Crying out again, Leksa floundered to reach the surface again. Something grazed the side of his leg as his head broke into open, black air, and he gasped violently one time after another. His breathing began to match the racing of his heart, threatening to spill out of his mouth. He could feel the scar on his forehead, now bare and exposed for this horrible perversion of a world to see, burning even deeper into his flesh. Just like the water itself, it was freezing and burned at the same time.

Thoughts going faster than he could follow, he looked for a way to escape the ever approaching beasts.
Please let this work like other dreams, Leksa begged himself, as he tried to pull the rest of himself up atop the water's surface. If you were aware you were dreaming, you could do just about anything.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/09/2017 3:35 PM

But his hands simply fell through the water, and he flailed wildly in vain. Water spilled into his mouth, choking him and burning his throat. The more he struggled to take control of his dream, the more Leksa found himself sinking down deeper into the water. No... no no no! Come on-- fuck-- please-- NO! A sob escaped him, deafening to him now that he was under water again, as the creatures came back into perfect view.

Suddenly, something coiled around his legs and pulled.

His neck whipped from the force as he was dragged down, down, ever down. With a unified ring of laughter, the creatures followed after, their glowing eyes bright with eagerness. "NO!" Leksa shrieked out, teeth bared in a horrified grimace. Let me wake up! Please let me wake up, PLEASE!

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/09/2017 3:45 PM

But he didn't wake up.

On the brink of praying to every god, any god that would listen, Leksa was plunged further into darkness, graced only with the red light of his pursuers' eyes. Their laughs were beginning to become more clear to him, more coherent. He could understand that they were indeed saying something. They were saying something to him, and he could just barely understand them.

Ours. Ours. This one is ours. Let us have this one. It is ours.

They weren't speaking to him... no. They were speaking to something else, something much bigger. But before he could interpret any more of their horrible words, the water gave way, and Leksa fell through nothingness for what felt like years. He couldn't even scream, couldn't move, couldn't breathe. Along with his heart, his stomach threatened to rise up out of his throat, and his head pounded from all the spinning and the spike of pain pulsing above his left brow.

Ages passed on, both quickly and slower than he could even try to bear, when he was abruptly brought to a halt. Suspended in mid-air, Leksa strained to turn himself right side up. It was only when he was upright proper that he could see that he was not alone.

One eye opened, and then another. Countless more, and then mouths began to split wide open to reveal rows upon rows of teeth and fingers. They went on farther than he could see. Droplets of water began to fall from the ocean far above him and the terror below. The rain was joined by his tears soon after.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/09/2017 3:59 PM

Leksa could feel each and every eye, farther than even he could perceive, turn to peer straight at him. Unblinking. The mouths split even more wide, both grins as well as ferocious snarls. A deep, earth-rumbling thunder resonated throughout the nothingness, causing more water to drip down from high above Leksa's head. The unearthly being uttered words that seared Leksa's thoughts, turned them around and twisted them to such that he no longer recognised them.

But despite the words being in a tongue he could not physically process, he understood their meaning.

YOU HAVE NEW PURPOSE, MORTAL.

Leksa planted his hands over his ears, screaming in a vain attempt to drown out the agonising words.

YOU BELONG TO US.

Suddenly, his sobs and wails died away, and his hands fell from his head as his face relaxed into a blank, distant expression. Delayed, he looked down to the being watching him from below. After an even longer moment, he nodded his head. "What would you have me do..?" he murmured under his breath.

ALL WILL SERVE...

OR ALL WILL PERISH.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/10/2017 2:57 PM

Leksa jolted upright, eyes scrunched shut as he coughed out water. The ground beneath him was warm and hard, barely softened by the bedroll he was sitting up on. It wasn't until he was able to breathe again, yet with water still dribbling out of the corners of his lips, that he realised someone else was sitting next to him, crying out in alarm.

"Sir! Are you alright?! Where did all this water come from--?? You were screaming in your sleep!" The woman sitting on her knees beside him babbled on, reaching to paw at him fretfully. He didn't fight against the handling, gaze distant as the voice of another entity filled his mind.

All will serve...

He turned his head to look at her, and a smile spread across his lips. "I'll be fine in just a moment," he breathed, hand extended to grasp the handle of his clawed gauntlet.

Or all will perish.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer