With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

A New Friend?

Postby RiDragon » 10/10/2017 1:28 PM

Sssch.

A rusty bus squeaked to a halt, tires sliding on the decrepit "road," that was mostly sand and gravel from disuse.  Fforia couldn't remember the last time she had seen a paved road in this place.  Nothing but sun, sand, and a couple cacti scattered about.  She sighed and lifted her head from the cool glass of the window.  No AC, of course.  She groaned a bit as she stood, limbs stiff from the uncomfortable seat.  There were about two other people on the bus.  One wore a turban and seemed to have goods for sale, while the other seemed to be a sweaty tourist that had no idea what they had gotten themselves into.  Hell, maybe she was a sweaty tourist that had no idea what she had gotten herself into.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless
I will give... I will take

I will feel the stars crash, crash down
RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 700
Donate

Re: A New Friend?

Postby RiDragon » 10/10/2017 1:34 PM

She wiped her brow, already slick with sweat.  Well, at least it wasn't humid.  Despite being annoying, she knew she'd get used to the heat eventually.  She did grow up around here, after all.  Though it had been a long time.

She tentatively steps off the bus, gripping her backpack tightly.  The sun was at its peak, and she felt her skin adjusting to the heat.  Hopefully it wouldn't burn too bad.  She stepped off the bus after taking a quick breath.  The air tasted like dust and heat.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 10/10/2017 1:39 PM

It was only after she heard the bus back up and squeak away that she realized that she had been dropped off outside of the town.  She cursed under her breath.  Fantastic.  She cupped her hand over her eyes, barely making out some buildings in the horizon.  She supposed that the bus couldn't drive on the sand, so it made sense that it dropped her off right when the road ended...  But still.  This was going to really suck.  At least the other passengers seemed to stay on the bus.  Less need to make awkward small talk.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/09/2017 3:58 AM

It was hot.

By the Gods.  It was hot.

Of course it's hot, you're in the middle of the gosh darn desert  She thought to herself, then immediately wondered why she censored herself in her own head.  The god damn desert.  Much better.

Oh Gods, how far away was this forsaken place?  It seemed like it was shrinking back into the horizon.  She took a sip from her canteen, then spat it out again.  Why.  Oh why.  Did I think it was a good idea.  To put hot tea in here???

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/09/2017 4:00 AM

She hurried her steps as she realized she had slowed as she daydreamed.  She wondered briefly if she was going to die out here.  All alone.  In the desert.  Just a mile away from a town.  Woe, woe.

Jeez, shut up already.  She thought to herself.  You whine too much.  Look.  You're almost there.  She squinted in the sun, but sure enough, she was almost at the outskirts.  She made to run towards the shade of a nearby palm tree, but instead tripped and fell face first into the sand, getting herself a nice mouth full.  Cool.  Great.  Fantastic.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/09/2017 4:03 AM

"Uuuhm.  Ma'am?"

"Mommy, did she die?"

Fforia groaned to herself.  Maybe she should just..  Stay lying here.  Maybe some buzzards would come and eat her eyes out.  Then she could be a ghost wandering around the town.  At least ghosts couldn't be thirsty and hot.  At least, she hoped they couldn't be.  She didn't know.  She never talked to a ghost before.

"Ma'm?"  The voice sounded more concerned now, and Fforia knew she couldn't play dead forever.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/09/2017 4:06 AM

She forced herself upright, squinting at an older heavyset woman with a young child gripping tightly to her legs.  "Are you okay, ma'm?"  She asked, tilting her head to the side, blocking the sun in the progress.

Now that Fforia could see, she could tell this woman had to be some sort of tour guide.  Maybe it was because of the way her wrinkles folded over her large bulbus nose...

Or maybe it was the fact that she had her name and "tour guide" plastered on the front of her flower-print shirt.

"Yeah.  I'm fine.  Just tripped is all."

"On what?"  The child asked, but was quickly shushed.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/09/2017 4:09 AM

Fforia ignored the child, who eventually ran off to go be annoying somewhere else.  Hopefully with scorpions.  The stabbing kind.

"Thanks for your help."  She managed to say through spitting out sand.  Gross.  Why did she have to come to a place so full of sand?  Why couldn't mysterious places be on like..  I dunno...  Grass or something?  At least grass was soft.  Imagine..  A temple made of grass.

"Did you hear me?"  The woman snapped Fforia out of her thoughts.  It sounded like her patience was running out.  "Are you part of the tour group or not?"

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/09/2017 4:10 AM

Fforia almost said no.  Like an idiot.  This was totally an easy way to get to the temple!  No one else could have possibly thought of this!  All she had to do was give a fake name, and then slip away when everyone else is occupied by the stupid touristy stuff!

"Yeeeeesssssssssssss....?"  She said in her most convincing voice.  It was not very convincing.  The woman didn't seem to care that much as she rolled her eyes and muttered something about tourists.  Fforia was pretty sure this crow of a woman wasn't native to this region either.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/09/2017 4:14 AM

"I said, I need your name."  Oh.  She was daydreaming again.  Cool.  Better to get these guys to let their guard down.  If they thought she was an imbecile they'd never suspect her of being a mastermind.  It was perfect.

"Uhh."  She glanced around nervously.  "My name is.  Sandy."

The woman clicked her tongue, pulling out a list of names from...  Somewhere.  Hopefully not from her gargantuan rump.  That would just be gross.

"Don't see you on the list.  Damn foreigners can never make my lists right."

Fforia was pretty sure the foreigners the woman was referring to were the people native to this land, but she didn't say anything about that.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/11/2017 11:55 PM

"Well.  We have enough room for you, anyway.  We don't get many people this time of year.  People can't handle the heat."  The woman waved at Fforia to follow as she walked further into the town.  Fforia trotted along behind the large woman, trying to not think about the beads of sweat slowly rolling down her back folds.  Yeesh.  That was kind of gross.  Couldn't stop looking at it though.  And wondering what it'd taste like.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/11/2017 11:58 PM

Fforia took some time to look around at the small town on the outskirts of the desert.  It was a nice little place, if not a tad dusty. Not many townfolk were out and about, she supposed that they were smart enough to do all their chores and work at night when the sun wasn't a danger to their skin.  It was a small place, typical for a tourist town that depended on visitors for its economy, but it wasn't a bad place by any means.  Probably would be a bit boring to live here, though.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/12/2017 12:01 AM

It looked like the town only had the people who worked for the tourist agency, and perhaps a few sand miners that sifted through the sands of the land to find precious keystones.  Some buildings looked abandoned, probably due to the lack of tourism and thus lack of money going into making the places livable.  She caught a glimpse of a child peeking through a window, but they quickly ducked out of sight.  Most of the lights were off.  She supposed that most of the people here adopted a nocturnal lifestyle.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/12/2017 12:04 AM

After a few minutes of walking, they seemed to finally pass the town.  After a few more minutes, they appeared to approach the mouth of some sort of cave yawning out from the base of a sand dune.  It looked..  Flimsy.  But she was sure there was strong rock holding everything up under all that sand.  She hoped.  There were a few other people mulling about, along with a child trying in vain to make a sand castle.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 12/12/2017 12:06 AM

"Hello everyone."  The large woman said in a sickly sweet fake tourist guide voice.  "I hope you're all ready for our exploration!"  The child abandoned his failed castle and let out a little cheer and a skip.  The person Fforia assumed was his mother sighed and stood to settle him down.  A man a little ways off was busy reading some sort of guide, and a pair of people in hawai'in style clothing were guzzling water like their lives depended on it.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate