With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: A Needle in the Desert [self]

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 4:47 AM

But it must have been some good mood. Rhodes didn't say the word 'human', but Sivain knew it was the shape he must have assumed to accomplish his task, and he knew how little Rhodes liked to do it. It wasn't shapeshifting in the truest sense of the word, but instead an illusion whose actions were facilitated through telekinesis. Rhodes said it was very troublesome, though he stated that his distaste was mostly for the principle of the thing. If he had the funds and the means to make his needs known, they ought to serve cats, and to do less was discriminatory.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 5:03 AM

"I'm glad it went well for you," he said.

"Yes, well, considering the time we've had recently, our luck was bound to turn sooner or later," said Rhodes. He had begun to groom himself, likely readying himself to sleep. "Did you sort everything out with the innkeeper?"

"Yes," said Sivain. "We had lunch together. It was an interesting conversation." He smiled, remembering the contents of that conversation. Rhodes looked up, ears flicking.

"Hmm. You're smiling," said Rhodes.

"Ah, well... The innkeeper told me to let you know that his niece has gotten quite fond of you. She'll be sad to see you go," said Sivain.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 5:08 AM

"Is she now?" said Rhodes. He sat a little straighter, and puffed himself out slightly. Sivain had to fight the urge to laugh. Rhodes wouldn't have appreciated being laughed at at all, but it was hard not to, when the cat was so obviously preening. "She has discerning tastes. Of course, it's only natural, but all the same. You may convey my thanks."

"I'll do that when I go down for dinner," Sivain said. With no small amount of struggle, he did manage to keep a mostly straight face. If Rhodes narrowed his eyes at Sivain, he didn't find sufficient grounds to call him out, which was a sound victory in this case.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 5:10 AM

"So, are we departing tomorrow or the day after?" said Rhodes. That brought Sivain back to himself, and he picked up the map from where he'd left it on the table.

"Let's wait one more day," said Sivain. "That way we can be sure we have everything we need, and pack it neatly. It will be two weeks' flying; I've looked at the revised map, and figured out the new path we'll be charting." He laid the map out on the bed so Rhodes could take a better look at it. The cat hunkered down, tucking his forepaws beneath him, and peered down at what Sivain had written.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 5:13 AM

He gave a little sigh. "Two weeks, hmm? That's a long time to be spending aloft... But it can't be helped, can it? That's just the way it is," he said. Whatever else could be said about Rhodes, at least he did understand necessity. When a hardship was merely the fault of circumstance, he simply took it for what it was and moved on.

"It won't be so bad for you," said Sivain. "You can sleep while I fly."

"The noise isn't exactly condusive to sleeping, but I appreciate the thought," said Rhodes. "And it is true enough that you'll be doing most of the work."

(+4) (counted)
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous