With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: A Needle in the Desert [self]

Postby crow » 10/20/2017 11:36 PM

At any rate, now that that was settled, the rest of their preparations would fall into place quickly. "Is there anything else you wanted?" he said to Rhodes. This would be their last chance to do anything they might wish to do outside the desert proper, where their means would be very limited.

"I have a missive to send, but I can take care of that on my own," said Rhodes. He hopped off from Sivain's shoulder to a near-by crate, and then down to the ground. "I trust you don't need me for anything else?"

"No; do as you wish," said Sivain.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 12:57 AM

He was a grown man, and had been for much longer than Rhodes had been alive, in all likelihood. It was amusing, if not a bit strange, that Rhodes chose to treat him as a younger charge. Then again, the cat had decided that Sivain needed monitoring based on his past actions rather than Rhodes' perception of his age, so Sivain doubted much would change even if he could convince the cat on this matter of seniority.

Not that Sivain would have interfered with Rhodes' business either way.

"Good," said Rhodes, apparently satisfied. "I'll return directly to our lodgings, so no need to look out for me."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:00 AM

Sivain nodded, and with that, Rhodes sauntered off on his way, blending almost immediately in. It was funny how a cat could look at home anywhere, Sivain thought. He'd seen his fair share of strays in the few days he'd been here. He hadn't expected to see cats this close to the desert, but as it turned out, he was giving them less credit than he ought.

Rhodes was too sleek by far for a stray, but only cat-lovers and children paid much attention to a wandering cat, and Rhodes could evade both of these with ease. Sivain had never particularly worried for him when he went out to fight his bounties.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:02 AM

In reality, however, perhaps he ought to have worried more. He'd heard a disturbing rumor or two about how food shortages were causing people to trap and kill the local wildlife for meat, feral cats included. The man he'd heard it from was obviously not a participant, scoffing at the idea of being so poor and stating that cats in particular 'tasted like piss anyway'.

Rhodes had his magic, of course, but it wasn't always a guarantee that he would get away from a dedicated pursuer.

Sivain watched him go and sighed. Well, they weren't in Foundry City anymore, and Rhodes wouldn't have taken much badgering from Sivain, much as he liked to dispense it himself.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:04 AM

As for Sivain, his business was concluded in its entirety. It had mostly consisted of searching for supplies anyway, which they now had. They'd done their cursory asking around for leads the first few days they were here, and the best that anyone knew, the boy they were looking for--- if this was indeed the boy they were looking for--- had gone into the desert some time ago with a caravan, only to split off from said caravan at a town within the desert depths.

Thus, Sivain and Rhodes intended to head there first, and see what they could find once they arrived there.

(+1)
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:07 AM

The distance was considerable by camel, a journey of several weeks if not two or three months. That was promising, at least, in terms of their investigation. By Sivain's estimates, they could cover the distance in a week and a half of hard flying if they took the most direct route. Of course, there was always the possibility of interference in the form of desert storms, but the guide had said it wasn't the season for them.

Now that he'd secured a more accurate map of the watering places used by the desert people, however, he would have to re-plot their path. Well, it gave him something to do while he waited.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:32 AM

It wasn't something he wanted to do out in the open, especially since it necessitated a good writing surface, so he headed back to their lodgings first. Rhodes was going to return there anyway, and he should probably inform the innkeeper that they were going to leave within the next two days.

They were staying at a small but respectable place near the market area, where most of the inns were situated. There weren't many, since it was a small town, but there were still more than the size of the city might otherwise have warranted; they saw their share of travelers, being the last place to supply before the desert proper.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:36 AM

He was greeted by the smell of warm spices as soon as he walked in. The innkeeper must have been working on lunch--- or perhaps dinner. Sivain had lost track of the time, negotiating with that guide. He only now registered that he was hungry, not having thought about food all this time.

"Ah! Sivan," said the innkeeper, looking up with a broad smile as Sivain walked in. The man never did manage to pronounce Sivain's name the right way, no matter how many times Sivain tried to correct him, and by now Sivain had given up the effort. It didn't particularly matter, in the end.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:39 AM

"Where have you been? Out to market? I hear there was a big commotion today!" said the innkeeper. He had a broad smile to go with his broad shoulders and gut, and he laughed a hearty laugh as he spoke. "My friend Rupert was telling me about it, you know. Said he saw a dragon! Can you imagine that?" He laughed again, a deep and hearty sound that seemed to resonate from somewhere deep inside his chest.

Sivain found himself smiling too, almost involuntarily. The innkeeper stopped laughing for a moment to fix him with a look, a merry twinkle in his eye.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 1:42 AM

"See! You can smile! I told Cassie it was true, you know--- she didn't believe me! You have to do it again at dinner tonight, where she can see," he said. Cassie was one of the serving girls, a niece of the innkeeper's. She had given Sivain a dubious look the first time she saw him, and her evaluation of him hadn't changed much since then.

Still, since Sivain made no trouble for them, she made no trouble for him either, and Sivain wasn't the type to insist on service with a smile. It was too small a matter to trifle over, and moreover, a little hypocritical coming from him.

(+2)
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 2:02 AM

He hadn't thought that his own ability to smile had been under doubt, but he couldn't really say he was surprised either. He had at least some awareness of the impression he gave, and he didn't fault her for coming to that conclusion, even if it was untrue.

"I'll do my best," he said, though smiling on command had never been one of his strong suits.

"And if you can't, I'll just tell you this story again! Not to worry, we'll get her today," he said, apparently not bothered by it. He was frankly relieved; he liked the innkeeper well enough, but it would have been an awkward situation if he really meant to enforce what he'd said.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 2:05 AM

Perhaps he still did. Truthfully, Sivain couldn't be certain that he wouldn't but at least it didn't sound as if he was serious about it.

Heedless of his concerns, the innkeeper went on. "A dragon! Could you imagine? I tell you, they're taking their liquor too early in the day. Some of them just can't keep out of their cups," he said, shaking his head in mock woe. "We haven't even had sand-worms in years. A dragon indeed! Bah!" With a jerk of his wrist, he gave the contents of his pan a vigorous toss. "Say, Sivan, have you eaten today?"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 2:08 AM

Sivain was glad, too, that the innkeeper didn't seem determined to pursue the subject. He didn't know what he would have said if the details came up. It didn't seem wise to confess his involvement in it, and he wasn't sure if he trusted himself to come up with a convincing lie if the innkeeper asked for his opinion about the whole affair.

Food, however, was a perfectly safe thing to speak of. "Just breakfast," he said. "We found something in the market."

"Good, good," said the innkeeper, nodding. "Though I'll tell you, Sivan, I'm surprised you did. Not many shops open at the hour you like to be up--- though you knew that, eh?"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 3:13 AM

Sivain let his smile speak for him, and the innkeeper drew his own conclusions. "Well, you're sick of porridge, aren't you? Have lunch with me," he said. He was already pouring the contents of his pan over beds of rice, and in short order he was shoving a plate at Sivain. "Come! Sit! What have you been up to, eh?"

"About that," said Sivain, taking a seat in the dining area as instructed. It was a rustic affair, many of the chairs mismatched, and everything had a worn look to it. Still, it was clean, and somehow it all worked with the decor that the innkeeper had chosen.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/21/2017 3:15 AM

The innkeeper had said something about not being able to be choosy all the way out here, and if it worked, then what was the problem? Rhodes had sighed a little over it, but Sivain was of a mind with the innkeeper. His sword was much the same, battered and nicked in places but still serviceable enough. His foes had learned that lesson of late, to be sure.

"I'll be departing soon," said Sivain. "Within the next two days, I believe. We've finally managed to secure what we needed to traverse the desert, so it won't be long now."

(+3) (counted)
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext