Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Re: Thoughts That Breathe [L]

Postby Night » 12/08/2017 7:31 AM

Oliver did manage a bit of a rueful smile at that. "As tempting as that offer may be, I've also taken a vow of non-violence so... I guess you don't have to worry about that." The cold of the wall was starting to bleed through his shirt. He was shaking slightly, though he wasn't sure if it was the chill or the toll of constant stress on his body. He was just going to ignore it regardless. "And good luck convincing the others to dress up and come to these things. I'm not actually sure any of them own formalwear."

He didn't want to be here, but that really didn't mean he wanted to be so easily replaceable either. He caught the slight heel of one of his loafers against a tile that was raised out of place. His self degradation went unanswered, and he honestly wasn't sure what he expected in response. Vindication that he wasn't a completely shitty human being or the worst person to be stuck in this situation with would have been appreciated, but likely a lie. He had officially run out of emotional capacity to feel pity for himself on top of everything else, so he just let it swirl in with the acidic cyclone burning his insides until the combination left him feeling relatively hollow. Not a great feeling, but he had to admit that empty was markedly better than the overwhelming too-much he'd been running on since they'd stepped out of the church a few weeks prior. He should probably question why he was seeking validation on the floor of a public restroom from a relative stranger in the first place. Mostly he was just tired.

"I guess that makes sense." He supplied eventually, the silence having stretched just long enough between them to be awkward while he had been busy trying to force himself to spontaneously combust. It really didn't make sense, but he supposed that she must have been one hell of a woman if Leo was willing to take down a massive infernal corporation from the inside to get her out of it. He didn't have it in him to be jealous either.

Oliver held his breath for a long moment before working himself to his feet. The priest scrubbed at his face and straightened his blazer, but made no effort to fix his hair. Let people think what they wanted about what they'd been up to in here. If they wanted to assume he was a dumb boy toy he may as well look the part.

"We should probably get back out there then. Don't want to miss too many opportunities to kiss ass right?" The longer it took them to get into their good graces, the more often they'd have to be around the cloaks. Oliver smothered the little spark of muted longing for someone that would actually appreciate the gesture as he held out his hand for Leo to take. They had appearances to keep up, after all.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 511
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Postby crow » 12/08/2017 8:49 PM

Leo smiled, only a little wryly this time. "Well, the offer's still there if you want it," he said. Whether any of the others could be convinced to take over for Oliver was clearly a matter for when they were all present, and worst comes to worst, Leo wasn't opposed to the idea of going in alone if he had to.

He could tell that Oliver wasn't convinced on the matter of Vivi, but Leo didn't feel compelled to share anything more on the topic. He pushed off from the sinks and gave himself one more once-over, then shrugged and decided that this was probably fine. He took Oliver's hand, threading his fingers through Oliver's for good measure, and out they went, back into the proverbial fray.

The food had arrived by the time they got back. Leo picked at his, and made small talk with the others at their table, occasionally making a show of feeding Oliver from his plate or indulging in physical contact. He tried to keep it to a minimum, knowing that Oliver didn't exactly welcome it, but he did need to keep up appearances. He also laid a hand more subtly on Oliver's knee at one point, just to stop him from bouncing his leg, though he retracted it after a moment, realizing that it was probably just making things worse.

A waiter came to take their plates, and someone more finely dressed--- one of the hosts, presumably--- came by to ask how they were doing. Leo gave a pleasant, bland answer, before making an introduction, and securing an invite to the fundraising auction next week. It made him wonder what they needed all the money for, what they were planning. But then, it didn't matter; he was going to get his sister out, and wash his hands of this whole affair.

By the time the dinner was over, he just wanted to go home. It was fortunate that things had gone more or less as planned, though he didn't feel as if it was a victory.

It felt even less like one when he saw that the van was gone.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby Night » 12/10/2017 8:56 AM

The priest was relieved when Leo slotted their fingers together, worried for a moment that the gesture would be perceived as silly or childish. He felt a little more grounded this way; less likely to float away into his thoughts once again. He took a few steadying breaths on the way back to the table and managed to pull off a relatively convincing satisfied smirk upon their arrival.

The food was under seasoned, and honestly he wasn't all that impressed. If this were how the other half lived, perhaps it wasn't so terrible to be monetarily challenged. What little he managed to eat between the taste and the way his stomach churned any time he made accidental eye contact with Gerald and his horrid date tasted relatively like cardboard. Whatever the cloaks were using the money for, it certainly wasn't catering.

He indulged the part of him that craved physical affection, though he couldn't say he particularly enjoyed being fed Leo's table scraps like a particularly spoiled dog. The rest of it though - the little touches and weighted words, well. He could see why people sought it out. He shot Leo an apologetic smile when the lawyer's hand settled briefly on his knee and made a conscious effort to keep it still. It didn't work, of course, but he did at least try.

Oliver remembered very little of importance from the dinner itself, the majority of it one long blur of idle conversation. While he was still acutely aware of the dangers surrounding the situation and would more than likely meltdown about it later, his primary concern in returning at that moment was the idea of facing down Gerald a second time and listening to him yammer on about the stock market. He wasn't disappointed to be leaving.

Outside he could finally relax. His shoulders loosened considerably the moment they stepped into open air, his good hand coming up to rub at the tension above his cast. "That went well enough, I think." He supplied, speeding up a bit to fall into step beside Leo with his significantly shorter stride. Oliver wasn't sure he'd ever been more eager to get back to a seedy motel room.

He managed a bit of a smile, prepared to try and make some sort of joke or try to further their conversation to fill the awkward silence, but it quickly slipped to the wayside when he noted that the van wasn't parked where they'd left it. He stared at the asphalt for a long moment before deflating, a soft "Oh," escaping him before he could reign it in.

It took some twisting around to get his cell phone out of his jacket pocket on his off side, but he managed. It had gotten rather late while they'd been inside, approaching sunset. Several notifications on his phone informed him that the guys had taken their still incapacitated prisoner back to the hotel because "This was taking too long." Oliver did a few quick calculations in his head relating to their overall gas usage and concluded he was likely going to have to walk or flag a taxi and hope the rates weren't ridiculous. Did he leave Brian any gas money?

The priest locked his phone and stuffed it back into his pocket. "Sorry about your clothes, it looks like my loving brother and friends decided to take them back to the hotel. I can try and get them to you tomorrow, or the next time we..." He trailed off, unsure what to even call this whole ordeal. Going to meetings, he supposed, though that sounded much more businesslike and significantly less terrifying. He tried not to seem too outwardly upset by this development. He was just... so tired of throwing his personal pity party. He shoved at the concrete with the toe of his shoe, unsure what else to say.

Leo probably had a ride home and was likely sick of his company. But the thought of walking out to the hotel was daunting, and trying to find a cab in a suburban neighborhood at this time of day even more so. "If you want, I can buy you dinner to make up for it." A stupid offer, they'd just ate and Leo likely hadn't had as many complaints about their food as he himself had. Still, it was only right he try to offer something in compensation for his asshole friends ditching Leo in his borrowed tux, among other things.

In truth, he felt bad for the way that he'd been treating the guy. This evening had taught him that Leo hadn't deserved the judgement that had been passed on him. He could add it to the multitude of things he felt guilty about at any given moment, or he could try to make up for it.

"Unless you've got something else going on. In which case, maybe some other time."
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Postby crow » 12/10/2017 9:20 AM

It took a moment for reality to sink in, probably because he felt so disproportionately exhausted for what had actually happened. It had just been a dinner party, but he felt as if he'd just spent a full day at work. He didn't know if it was the tension or... Well, alright, it had definitely been the tension, but the tension of what was a more difficult question to answer.

He managed to smile back at Oliver, though mostly to try and set the priest at ease. "Don't worry about it. I foisted that guy on them, so this is more or less what I deserve," he said with a shrug. At the offer of dinner, he laughed a little. "No, it's alright, I'll treat." He hadn't eaten much himself, and though he had no appetite, he knew he did have to eat something soon. Besides, he... felt bad for Oliver, having had to put up with acting the part of his date the entire night, in a situation that clearly set him on edge as it was. Seeing Oliver smile and try to put on a game face now just made him feel worse. It would be a way to make amends, hopefully; and this was easier than words, at least for him. He reached into his pocket, felt around for his wallet, and---

And nothing. That was right; these weren't his clothes. He didn't even have his phone. Oliver had one, clearly, but without any money to hand, the only person he could call was Vivi, who was out of the question.

Leo resisted the urge to rub at his face. No, actually; upon second thought, he gave into it, his fingers massaging his temples as he groaned into the heel of his palm. This day was just getting better and better. He stood there for a moment, letting the frustration wash through him, standing there in the cool air of the evening, breathing.

Right. Think about breathing.

"If you... have enough for a cab," he said awkwardly. Each word felt like it was being dragged out of him. Financial stability was the one thing he'd had all his life, and pride alone made him dislike the notion of relying on others for money. It was only made worse by his suspicions that Oliver and his friends didn't have a lot of funds to hand. "Once I have my clothes back, I can pay you back. Though I guess if you'd rather eat first, I won't complain."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/11/2017 3:15 AM

Oliver fiddled with his scarf, yanking it down and baring a flash of white at his throat and then tugging at the ends to pull it flush against his throat once more. He had been prepared to insist that he would buy dinner, really push the envelope, but he didn't get the opportunity. He supposed he should be glad that Leo's clothes were back in a musty hotel somewhere and he'd been given the opportunity to make amends. One less thing to keep him up at night.

"It's alright, now worries about paying me back. I don't mind buying." He gave Leo a soft smile, reaching for his worn leather wallet and flipping it open one-handed to assess what damage this was going to have on their finances. "As long as you don't mind sharing a cab, that is." He didn't want to call attention to their financial situation, but there wasn't much of a way around the fact he didn't have enough in his pocket to do two cab fares and still put gas in their vehicle.

The priest took a moment to assess their location, looking both ways down the street and finally spotting something that looked vaguely familiar. He hadn't often ventured into the nicer areas of town, even when he'd actually lived here. If they were where he thought they may be, however, he was fairly certain that there was a convenience store just up the street. Not exactly fine dining, but better than nothing.

Oliver gestured for Leo to follow, moving off in the vague direction he thought the store may be. He fiddled with the rosary in his pocket, trying to think of something to say to spark a conversation. He was pretty sure Leo didn't care for him, and he couldn't say he blamed him. He hadn't exactly been eager to make the guy's acquaintance.

He finally settled on just being honest. He concentrated on the cadence of his footsteps, his eyes firmly on the ground in front of him as he spoke. "So I guess I should... thank you. For everything." It shouldn't be so difficult to apologize, he'd been clearly in the wrong on this one. "And I'm sorry for... freaking out, or whatever." Perhaps not the best way he could have phrased it. He exhaled sharply and tried again.

"I just mean that... You really seem like a nice guy, and you didn't deserve the way I acted towards you regarding your heritage. That wasn't cool." Leo still terrified him in the vague way that the unknown did for everyone, but logic had finally caught up with him at some point during dinner. Leo really had tried to respect his rigid boundaries, and that was more than most would do. They turned the corner, and he could see the glowing sign marking their destination just up the road. At least they weren't lost on top of everything else.

The convenience store was nothing special - a mostly vacant storefront with a few cars parked in front of it that likely belonged to employees. He couldn't say that he'd ever seen actual customers there. But they had a decent soup selection, and it was oddly nostalgic to push open the glass door into the overly-bright light of the shop.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/11/2017 7:03 AM

A slight crease formed between Leo's brows as Oliver turned down his offer for repayment, but for the moment he held his tongue. He wasn't really in any position to insist when he had no money on hand. Still, he couldn't help but notice how flat and empty Oliver's wallet was, though he hadn't meant to look. It never felt right, prying into someone's financial situation, but the glance that he'd inadvertently caught only confirmed what he'd suspected.

He fell into step behind Oliver, unconsciously slowing his own pace to match now that he wasn't immediately focused on anything else. It felt so natural and habitual that he didn't notice until after, and was then struck with the sudden realization that Oliver was his sister's height, give or take an inch. He'd always thought Oliver looked small, but until now he'd chalked it up to the fact that Oliver always seemed on the verge of collapsing into himself.

He hadn't expected Oliver to speak, much less thank him. Or apologize.

"I didn't really do anything," Leo said, looking off into the middle distance. "And this was my idea, so the least I could do was pull my own weight." That addressed the thanks, at least. He mulled over the apology a little longer, and the crease between his brows returned, though this time it was more thoughtful than unhappy.

He wasn't sure anyone had called him 'nice' since he was in grade school. Back then, the standards of 'nice' had been 'any kid who behaved themselves and left well enough alone'. He wasn't sure what to do with the word, now that he was grown.

Set Oliver straight, maybe. Arching a brow, one corner of his mouth tugging up into a smile, he said, "I'm not nice. I'm a lawyer." Or, well, he was one until a couple of weeks ago. The smile faded, and he shrugged. "Everyone's like that when they find out. It's not new, so don't worry about it." For a moment he felt the phantom presence of his horns, even though he had them hidden; felt the ghost sensation of wary looks and hushed whispers that followed him as he walked. But none of it had happened in nearly a decade, and it wasn't happening now. He dismissed the thought, and focused on trying to figure out where they were going.

He'd seen Oliver perk up at the sight of something, but he honestly didn't know where their destination was until they'd pulled up so close to the convenience store entrance that it was impossible for it to be anywhere else. Leo checked himself immediately, schooling his thoughts. He hadn't been raised without manners, and if someone else was buying, then it didn't matter what the food was, or where it came from. But on the other hand, he'd never really considered the convenience store as a place where people came seeking a... meal.

It was obvious from the exterior that this store had been around for some time. The name on the front wasn't one he recognized; a family shop, perhaps. The wood was aged, the slope of the roof had a subtle sag to it, and there was a general dusting of detritus on the ground surrounding it. Some of the indistinct debris was so old that it was hard to tell what it used to be before it became trash.

The interior was, however, well-lit and clean. The girl at the counter glanced up when she heard the chime of the door, before her gaze dropped back down to the crossword puzzle on the counter.

"Any recommendations?" Leo said, his tone flippant, but he'd chosen his words carefully. He wasn't sure what Oliver wanted--- and more to the point, what Oliver could afford. And the convenience store wasn't exactly familiar territory for Leo, whatever that said about his privileged upbringing.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 12/11/2017 8:50 AM

Oliver was glad that Leo slowed down so he could keep up; the walk to where the van had been had been a bit more like a jog, and he wasn't exactly in the greatest of shape at the moment. Considering the general height of the majority of the people he kept company with, it was unsurprising he wasn't used to having to make that sort of effort.

"You kind of did though." He wasn't going to let Leo be humble about it, regardless of how uncomfortable talking about it may be. "I know I'm not like... Easy to be around, when I get nervous." Perhaps a bit of an understatement. "And I know I have some boundaries that aren't really... normal. Just. Thanks for not pushing it." If Leo had been stuck in this whole fake-dating ordeal with anyone else, it would have been significantly less of a hassle to make it convincing. There were a million other reasons he could find to thank the guy, up to and including willing to be seen out on a date with him of all people.

"I really can't pretend we weren't having a hard time figuring out how to get in and disburse this whole... cult... thing, either. We were at a dead end. You may think we're helping you, but you're doing us a favor tipping us off as well." Oliver was eager to get this whole ordeal behind them so he could forget about the entire body-snatching experience. Even in retrospect it sent chills up his spine.

He wrinkled his nose at Leo's disagreement, frowning. "Just because you're a lawyer doesn't mean you can't be a nice person." The words felt weighted, like he meant them two fold. Just because you're half-demon doesn't mean you are, either. Of course, he didn't say as much. The concept was still new to him, almost novel in a way; he'd never stopped to consider what effect the human half may have on something like that. All he knew was that he had looked straight into the abyss, that he knew what the real thing was like - writhing hatred and a dark, all consuming loneliness, so large and cold that he felt it even now. Leo... Leo was nothing like that. Not from what he'd seen, and there was no way that the lawyer could be hiding that away. He may have been afraid, but it was a disservice to ever have made the comparison. He could see that now.  

Ruminating on it made his chest tight and his stomach roll. He shoved the thoughts away into the furtherest corners of his mind and tried to swallow down the panic they threatened to induce. Now was not the time.

Oliver hummed as they entered the store, nodding a greeting towards the unfamiliar face at the counter. It had been quite some time since he'd been here; quite some time since he'd even been in town before this whole debacle. He couldn't help but be wistful for another time. He used to bring Jay here sometimes, when he'd first learned to drive and Jay was still too young. He'd made a big deal about having to drag his brother around, but he hadn't precisely been popular and he'd been grateful for the company. The too-bright lights gave way to the dimly lit parking lot in his memory, late night conversations and musings about getting out of this fucking town, their elbows bumping together as they sat huddled together against the chill over shared coffee. He held the memory close, enjoying it's warmth.

He led Leo back into the store, shrugging. "Any of the soups are probably okay. I prefer porridge myself, but I suppose it's personal preference." He smiled, a real one this time that seemed a little less raw than before. "I know it's not much, but I honestly don't know any other place in walking distance on this side of town." Not one that he could afford anyway. Nice neighborhoods seemed to draw the attention of high end restaurants as well, and lord knows he couldn't possibly pull that out of his starving pockets.

He paid for their selection and, just because he was feeling nostalgic, wandered outside to sit on the curb in front of the store. It was a nice night, once he managed to pull himself out of his own head enough to notice. A little chilly, but his jacket did enough to keep it manageable.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/22/2018 6:11 AM

Leo browsed politely while Oliver led him through the shelves at the back, though he was pretty sure he didn't know what he was doing. He ended up choosing a chicken noodle soup, because it looked like it had a little bit of everything, and the picture on the packaging promised flavors that wouldn't be too interesting. Leo wasn't usually the type to opt for blandness, but better safe than sorry when he was dealing with uncharted territory. "It's fine," he said, smiling back at Oliver. And it was. It wasn't as if one convenience store meal would kill him. Besides, he might like it. Enough people raved about the wonders of instant food that the possibility existed, surely.

The girl offered to let them use the microwave after they paid. Leo ended up in front of it, watching his container of soup spin on the greasy glass dish, half for a lack of anything else to do and half because he was slightly worried that the plastic lid was going to melt into the contents. Fortunately, it didn't, but the whole thing came out too hot, and he had to work a little more of his magic just to be able to hold it for a while.

He wasn't usually the type to sit on the ground, but this was evidently a day of new experiences for all of them, and he figured Oliver had never done half the things he'd had to go through at the dinner tonight either. With a soft sigh, Leo took a seat beside Oliver, gingerly prying the lid off his soup. It smelled... like soup, which was reassuring. He ate a spoonful before he could think about it any more, and found that it tasted like soup too.

It was only after he took the first bite that he realized that he'd miscalculated the distance when he sat down, close enough to Oliver that their knees bumped against each other when Leo leaned back and resettled himself. But it was too late now; moving away was likely to look even more awkward, and he'd probably ruin his pants doing it too. Not that the pants were his, but they were still nice clothes, and it was the principle of the thing.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 02/10/2018 8:25 AM

Oliver seemed accustomed to the inevitably too-hot outcome of microwaved soup, cupping the styrofoam container in his hands and balancing the bottom against his knees as he sat. He wouldn't think about the burn of holy water against his fingers, or the white hot sear of the cross on his forehead. Instead, he focused on the ungiving concrete of the curb beneath them and the easy way their knees brushed together as they settled in. He let the silence settle between them while he peeled the lid back and began to eat, allowing his thoughts to tumble randomly through his head. When he couldn't handle the quiet anymore, he just started talking about nothing of consequence. He never had been good at keeping quiet.

"I used to bring my brother here when we were kids." He picked at his soup while he spoke, chasing the good bits around with the flimsy plastic spoon. "He always hated it. He would just complain until I took him to McDonalds so he could get one of those meals with the stupid toy in the box." It was a silly thing to look back on with fondness, but he kind of missed the easy way things had been when they were young. Before there were demons and exorcisms and cults. Before he had to take an unwilling fake boyfriend for work.

"I always used to pretend that it was this huge burden on me that I had to cart him around everywhere, but I think we both knew I liked the company. I wasn't exactly mister popular." Between the dying warmth radiating from his meal and the casual brush of Leo beside him, he was feeling a bit warm all of the sudden. It definitely had nothing to do with the ever present blush staining his cheeks. The priest pulled at his scarf, one hand balancing his soup to keep it from tipping over the both of them.

"I know it's not like, a five star meal or anything, but... I don't know. This is nice." He wasn't really eating anymore; just letting his meal run cold in the autumn chill. "I never thought that we'd come back here when we left."

It was a lot of information that Leo hadn't really even asked for. But it was better than the silence, and honestly it was better than bringing up their little farce and letting Leo remind him how much he really didn't want to actually date Oliver - even for pretend.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/05/2018 10:05 AM

Leo finished his soup, more to be polite than anything else. It wasn't as unpalatable as he had feared, but on the other hand, he was also glad that he hadn't discovered a newfound love for convenience store soups or anything like that. He wasn't sure if he trusted their nutritional content.

It occurred to him to wonder whether Oliver was eating like this on a regular basis. The thought made Leo frown, studying Oliver with new interest. He'd seemed so skinny and frail when he had come out of his exorcism, that first day when they'd met. Leo couldn't see any evidence that that had changed now.

As Oliver began speaking, however, Leo reminded himself that it wasn't any of his business. They were merely here associating with each other because of a mutually beneficial arrangement, and even if that wasn't the case, a priest could hardly be expected to welcome a demon meddling in his private affairs. He put the thought aside, just as he set down the styrofoam soup cup beside himself, leaning back to rest his weight on the heels of his hands.

Leo's expression softened as Oliver told his story. His memories with Vivi involved different things, different places and people and sentiments, but he could understand the fondness in Oliver's voice when he talked about his brother. "Are the two of you still close?" he said, though as he asked it, he realized that maybe it was a stupid question. His brother was still working with him, wasn't he? And Leo remembered the way that Jay had kept glancing at Oliver in the park, concern writ on his features.

All things considered, they probably had a better relationship than Leo had with Vivi.

Leo smiled a bit at Oliver's last comment. "We could do this again. My treat next time. Though I'll admit, I don't know any local convenience stores." That probably made him sound like a rich, pretentious asshole... though maybe that wasn't far off the mark. He was about to say something else when he caught himself, and for a moment he sat there, blinking. Then, he sighed. "This is more of a date than that was back there, isn't it?" He felt the weight of every awkward thing he had done at the dinner, even more acutely than he had when Oliver had confronted him in the bathroom. Just the thought of it made him want to cringe.

Turning to face Oliver more fully, he paused a moment as if marshaling himself, then said, "I know I wasn't very..." He stopped, frowning slightly. "I don't have a lot of experience with dating, myself." It sounded pathetic spoken aloud, but it was the truth. For once, he hoped that Oliver would chalk it up to being a sex demon thing rather than the deeply personal shortcoming that it actually was. "I'd... appreciate some input on your part on how you'd like me to act, if you have any."

It wasn't the most graceful way of doing things, but Leo knew when he was out of his depth. And if he was going to subject Oliver to his bumbling attempts at playing a boyfriend, he figured the least he could do was try to make the experience a little easier on Oliver.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 06/03/2018 9:35 PM

Oliver pushed the cold remains of his dinner around the bottom of the container; he'd never really been able to stomach the texture of cold porridge, but it did provide a suitable distraction from his own incompetent attempts at conversation. That Leo decided to dignify his rambling with a response was a pleasent surprise.

"Not as close as we used to be." He admitted. "We're at a bit of a disagreement on lifestyle choices." The priest offered a sideways grin, settling his abandoned food on the curb beside him and then settling back with his palms against the concrete. He tipped his head back, taking in the vast black expanse of the sky. The light from the city washed against the horizon, the stars nearly invisible. "But I think that he'll come around eventually. He's a good kid."

Oliver perked up considerably at the offer of a second meeting. "It's a deal. Don't worry, I'll make sure to look up all the best rundown gas stations in town." It was a joke on two parts; he couldn't imagine Leo wanting to actually have a repeat of their less than impressive dinner, and it wasn't as though he didn't already know all about every shady and cheap place in this city. He was ready to say as much, perhaps express that they could go anywhere that Leo wanted since he was paying, but the taller man's comment brought him up short.

"I... Suppose it is, yeah." A wild, reckless feeling curled somewhere in his stomach, a small spark of joy at the idea that was quickly soured by guilt. He shouldn't be thinking about such things. Leo likely meant it as the joke that Oliver should have taken it as. The smile that was threatening to tug at his mouth slipped into something much more akin to a grimace.

"I'm afraid you're asking the wrong guy." He didn't want to point out the obvious when they were only just starting to have a pleasent evening, but there wasn't much of a way around this one. "I haven't dated since... Fuck, probably high school. And there's no way I would use any of those experiences as shining examples of romance." For a number of reasons, though the fact that they'd all been with women and he'd felt nothing tumbled towards the forefront of his thoughts. He was growing rather good at shoving things he'd rather not think about into an ever growing box of 'not-going-there-today' in his mind.

Oliver worried at his lip with his teeth, hovering at the edge of speaking but unsure if he should. Making a decision, he turned towards Leo more fully, his gaze falling from the non-existent stars to search the lawyer's expression for a sign that he wasn't overstepping his boundaries. (A laughable thought; he was shooting so far past his boundaries by just sitting here on a not-date that the Cardinal would probably boot him from the church if he knew even a fraction of the things that he would do given the opportunity.)

"The hand holding was nice." He offered.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 07/27/2018 5:40 AM

Leo laughed softly as Oliver talked about 'lifestyle choices'. He didn't say that he had been there, so as not to intrude on Oliver's story, but he could have. It seemed like they had more in common than Leo had first thought, though upon hearing what Oliver had to say on the topic, he changed his original evaluation of their relationship relative to his own. They didn't look like it, but Leo and Vivi were still what passed for close with one another. It just didn't always look at it, since they had different but equally aloof approaches to what any kind of closeness meant.

Like not telling your brother that you're working for a cult, apparently.

His smile turned sardonic when Oliver said he thought his brother would come around. What must it be like, he wondered, to be the more stubborn sibling? He didn't know.

Having thrown out the question of what Oliver really wanted, however, he settled in to listen. Oliver's initial denials didn't deter him. Leo merely waited, attentive but doing his best to give Oliver room to speak. He trusted that Oliver would eventually find something to say. Experience told him that most people did. Goodness knows it worked with clients.

As Oliver bit his lip, Leo found his gaze drawn there, lingering for a moment as the thought--- fleeter even than a feeling--- flitted through his mind. But he remembered himself, remembered who this was, and quelled it before it had the chance to coalesce. It was... It had been a bad habit, that was all. He'd been too loose with himself lately. Vivi's idea, which he now recognized for the bad suggestion it was, since it was apparently starting to bleed into all his other interactions.

Oliver's suggestion, as much as anything, brought him back to reality. Hand-holding.

"That's it, huh?" Leo said. The sardonic smile made its return. "I guess I deserve that." It wasn't news that he'd made a comprehensive fool of himself, but at the same time, Oliver hadn't pulled any blows with that one. Or maybe the guilt was just putting him in a self-deprecating mood. It was a novel concept, since they didn't happen to Leo very often anymore.

"I don't suppose," he said slowly, "that you'd want to practice? Since we have the time." He held out his hand as something like an invitation. There was just enough of an arch to his brow that he could play it off as a joke if Oliver said no.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 09/13/2018 8:40 AM

Oliver never had been particularly smooth; after the statement had tumbled out, he immediately started to rethink his wording. "The other parts were nice as well. I mean... probably not the bits where you were feeding me off your plate, or implying that I would rather be alone with you so we could... but the rest - I just..." He teetered at the edge of a confession, unsure how to proceed without revealing more of his hand than intended. He still wasn't entirely sure where he stood with Leo, or where his motivations might lie. Admitting that he was a pathetic, lonely man that craved any slight form of affection would hardly benefit their forced interactions.

"You weren't doing anything wrong. I just have no idea what to do here. Like I said, I'm not exactly well versed in relationship matters." He clarified. "I can't even tell you the last time I intentionally held hands with someone. My standards for passable attempts at romance are pretty fucking low." He knew that being honest was always the better policy. It did nothing to keep the embarrassment he felt at the admission from joining his ever-evolving storm of emotions he kept stoppered in his mind.

Granted, he did have a good excuse. It wasn't as though his work would allow him the kind of worldly experiences that a relationship would entail. Oliver couldn't help but feel ashamed by his lack of experience, however. There were few places in modern society that were understanding about the kind of lifestyle he'd chosen to lead.

He eyed Leo's proffered hand with a small glimmer of poorly shielded hopefulness that quickly gave way to the hesitance with which he approached everything. This was a terrible idea. He wanted it more than he'd allowed himself to want for much of anything since he'd gone into the seminary, but even he could recognize that he was setting himself up for disappointment. "Are you sure? I know that you don't really..."

He knew that Leo didn't really want this, but he couldn't find it in himself to turn down the offer. He was selfish, and more than a little desperate he was sure. But it wasn't as though he were going to be offered the opportunity very often, and he was willing to admit to weakness if it meant that he could have it. However much of a charade it may be.

Oliver laced their fingers together, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. It was kind of thrilling, in an entirely innocent way. He was breaking the rules - he was shattering them, actually - but it felt nice. "Anymore ideas for things that we should practice?" He laughed, and then seemed to realize just how that could be percieved and backtracked yet again.

"That... came out wrong. I'm so sorry."
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 09/14/2018 5:33 AM

Leo grimaced. "Yeah, that... Yeah." Oliver probably didn't mean anything by it, but hearing it laid out like that just made Leo want to bury his face in his hands. He knew that the children of his mother's colleagues were bad examples to emulate, but given his lack of other choices...

But then, if he had known that they were bad examples, maybe he should have stopped while he'd been ahead, instead of making them both suffer his attempts. "I don't suppose I could convince you to forget it ever happened?" It would probably be more mercy than he deserved, but a man could hope.

At first he thought that Oliver was going to reject his offer. He wasn't entirely sure what possessed him to make it in the first place. Maybe he was unsettled by just how much this day had been outside his own expectations. Leo was used to feeling in control of his life, sister and mother and demonic heritage aside--- and even the demonic heritage had mostly been conquered. Maybe this was just an attempt to regain that control.

But if it was, this wasn't the way to do it. Leo was already preparing to take it back, deflect with some glib comment, when Oliver reached out and threaded his fingers through Leo's own. Leo's eyes widened incrementally in surprise, but then his own fingers closed around Oliver's hand.

It was warm, and so natural that it was a little strange to him. The two of them had met maybe three times, and not exactly under the best of circumstances. And yet, holding Oliver's hand didn't feel like... like his one night stands, for example--- and some of them did want to hold hands too, even if it tended to be while other things were going on--- or any of the girls that had tried to talk to him in high school.

"Your hands are small, aren't they?" said Leo, studying Oliver's clasped in his own. Absentmindedly he ran his thumb over one knuckle, over the soft skin there. His thoughts went back briefly to how Oliver had looked after the exorcism, pale and haunted, and he felt the sudden, inane urge to ask if Oliver had been eating well lately.

At Oliver's question, Leo looked back up again. He arched a brow at the boldness of it, then laughed when Oliver backpedaled. There was something more loose and carefree about Oliver now, and for a moment Leo was nearly caught up in the mood of it, half convinced that Oliver might have been enjoying himself--- but no, it was probably just relief that Leo wasn't trying anything worse, the way he had been at the dinner.

The thought sobered him. He glanced up at the sky, and marshaled his thoughts. "Nothing the clergy would disapprove of, right? Hmm..." Leo leaned forward and rubbed at his chin with his other hand while he thought. "We could take a walk. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do it somewhere scenic on a real date, but we could make do. And we do have to meet up with your friends sooner or later, so we might as kill two birds with one stone."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/15/2018 5:25 AM

Oliver laughed, shaking his head. "Not a chance. If I have to live with the mortification of being fed off your plate in public, then so do you." He shifted a little closer and glanced down at their joined hands, trying to hide his smile. It felt so strange to break the rules, even over something so small and almost trivial.

He'd tried so hard to follow every little rule and regulation. Granted, he had slipped a time or two; he was only human. But there was something entirely different, almost thrilling, about doing so intentionally. He never would have thought he would be flirting so heavily with crossing the line; particularly with someone who wouldn't give him the time of day under normal circumstances.

What was the harm, though? He wasn't hurting anyone, siting in a convenience store parking lot and holding hands with a boy. A cute boy, his mind supplied helpfully. He would regret every moment of this later more than likely. For now, however, he allowed himself to sate his curiosity by running the pad of this thumb along the side of Leo's palm.

"Hey, they aren't that small! They're perfectly reasonable sized, thank you." He pushed at Leo's shoulder with his own, lost to the thrill of the moment. He wanted to lean a little closer, maybe rest his head against Leo's shoulder. He hadn't quite realized how drained the day had left him.

Oliver had almost allowed himself, for one single moment, to forget that this wasn't real. Wishful thinking was a powerful drug it seemed. Leo's mention of the clergy did well to sober him back up - thankfully before he had embarrassed himself too badly by giving into his silly whims.

"Right. Nothing that the church would disapprove of." He said. A small tinge of regret colored his words. He hoped it wasn't too noticeable. "A walk would be nice. The hotel isn't too ridiculously far I don't think, if you're up for a bit of a hike." He supplied, dutifully ignoring Leo's hinting that this wasn't a real date so as not to seem too put out.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext