Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Frustration [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/05/2010 1:13 AM

“Hey, Scorch. You ever feel like you’ve been left in a lurch?”

Boss was leaning casually against the railing on the sky lane, arms folded across his broad chest, one hand resting on his Deece. His helmet was clipped to his belt, face bare to the world, which was a rarity for Boss. Scorch looked up from his seat on the small bench they’d staked a claim to, the rag he was using to clean his Deece all but stilling in his hand. “What brought on that question, Boss-man?” he asked curiously, giving his leader a quizzical head-tilt. From behind him, Sev snorted, arms folded across the railing on the opposite side of the lane, watching as the oblivious civvies in speeders and different ships passed by below.

“Just humor him, Scorch. You know how he can get sometimes.” The demolitions expert turned at the waist, unable to look over his shoulder due to the backpack encompassing most of his back. He gave Sev a ‘fine, I’ll do it because you asked’ look, before turning back to Boss. Their dark eyed leader was staring off into the distance, seemingly lost in thought. “All right then, Boss. I’ll bite; no, I’ve never felt like I’ve been left in a lurch. But then, I’ve got the most un-lurch leaving people around me. You guys and…” He trailed off, not daring to mention to name of the woman who had begun to take up most of his free time; Scorch was absolutely enamored, but he tried not to bring up the subject often.

Boss shrugged his broad shoulders, closing his eyes slowly; Scorch wondered if it was to keep from watching the happy people below, or because the sun was in his eyes. He was betting on the former. “Hm,” he said at least, and Scorch raised an eyebrow as Sev abandoned his place at the rail to take a seat on the bench beside him. “Sorry Boss,” Sev said slowly, in that deep, gravelly voice that had a ‘chill-like’ quality. “Your going to have to elaborate on this one. You got somethin’ you wanna get off your chest?”

He and Scorch exchanged similar looks, both shaking their heads as Boss’ eyes flicked open and he shot them an amused glance. “I suppose I can’t…leave you in the lurch,” he said, smiling lightly. Scorch and Sev were both rather shocked; to hear their leader say anything that even remotely resembled a joke was practically unheard of, yet here he was, smiling at them as if he’d just told and incredibly witty story.

[Post count here]

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Delta Squad

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/05/2010 1:15 AM

“I’ve been incredibly frustrated lately,” Boss elaborated, startling the two men out of their thoughts. “I guess you could say it’s because of a woman.” Now this got their attention; Sev and Scorch leaned forward, eager to hear the story. But Boss didn’t elaborate, and instead, closed his eyes once more, leaning back against the railing. Sev and Scorch both opened their mouths to protest, when the sound of a door slamming jerked them to attention, and they turned their heads simultaneously to see Fixer strolling along the walkway, his rifle clutched in one hand.

“Hey, Fixer,” Scorch greeted with a wave. “Happy hunting?” Fixer only inclined his head, smiling secretively. “The best kind, Six-Two.” Boss opened his eyes, pushing away from the rail to nod at his second-in-command. “Done deal then, I take it?” he asked, but there was no doubt about it; Fixer never missed his target. Heck, he was better than a hound on a scent trail once he really got going, and there was very little that would deter him from his target. Fixer strode over and claimed the end of the bench for himself.

“What was with looks on their faces, Three-Eight?” he asked casually, feigning disinterest. He pulled a rag from his belt and began to clean his rifle; Scorch noticed there were a few new blood splatters across the muzzle and the top of his armor and boots, but said nothing. “Boss here was just explaining that he’s had some woman troubles as of late,” Scorch explained cheekily, his eyes darting to their leader to see him turn away in annoyance.

There was a barely perceptible twitch in Fixer’s face as he cleaned the rifle, but Scorch managed to catch it. “Only, he won’t tell us anything more. Soooo….” Sev sighed in annoyance. “You know what he’s going to do Boss. And he won’t shut up until you explain yourself.” Scorch was already taking a deep breath, ready to go on a tirade or rant about nothing in particular that would drive his brother’s crazy.

[Post count here]

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Delta Squad

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/05/2010 1:21 AM

Fixer’s fingers twitched slightly, but he said nothing, his hand still moving steadily along the rifle as it cleaned away the grime from the muzzle. Boss was leaning against the rail again, only this time, his back was to them, his hands clutching at the railing. Sev could hear the squeak of his gloves against the metal. “Fine,” Boss said slowly, and Scorch quickly deflated with a hugely exaggerated puff of air. “There’s this woman…I met her a while back.” Scorch and Sev exchanged looks, and Fixer’s gaze remained intently on his rifle. “But lately…Lately she’s been gone a lot. And I…Wonder if I’ll ever see her again.”

There was a deep seated resignation in their leader’s voice, and Scorch could see Boss’ shoulders tense with each word. Sev sighed, and Scorch frowned, his brows creasing together. He didn’t know what he’d do if his own lady friend suddenly disappeared on him; he imagined it would devastate him beyond repair. “Hey, sorry, man,” he said sympathetically. “I didn’t know-” But Boss cut him off, turning around with a chuckle. “No worries, vod. I’m….trying to work things out. Haven’t quite figured things out with her yet, but we’re trying.”

His gaze shifted to Fixer, and his good-natured smile turned into a frown. The hacked was discreetly turning his face away, hiding his eyes from his brothers. “Something you wanna say, Fixer?” he asked, folding his arms across his chest and leaning on the rail. Scorch and Sev both turned their eyes towards their quiet brother, curious as to what might be bothering him. “Not a thing, Three-Eight,” Fixer said gruffly, turning his body so he faced away from his comrades. “Hey, vod. It’s show-and-tell today. Might as well tell us your troubles. Boss here did, and he usually clams up tighter than a Seppie ship when we come knockin’.”

He reached behind Sev and prodded Fixer’s shoulder; the hacker shrugged it, and growled darkly. Scorch had never been one to take a hint, and prodded his brother again. Fixer’s growling grew louder. Sev was on his feet a moment later, stepping away from the storm he knew was brewing between his two brothers; whatever had caused Fixer’s foul mood, he was not ready to talk about it. Scorch went in for a third prod, and that was when Fixer leapt from his seat, knocking his brother to the ground.

[Post count here]

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Delta Squad

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/05/2010 1:23 AM

Boss and Sev stared, awestruck, as their usually quiet hacker rolled and tumbled about on the platform as he landed blow after blow on Scorch’s tough armor; there was no way he’d ever actually hurt the demolitions expert, but he was at least mad enough to try. “Enough!” Boss shouted, reaching forward to bodily haul Fixer off of his brother. Scorch sat up, wiping his face where one of Fixer’s gauntlets had grazed his cheek. “What’s your problem, man?!” he shouted, clambering to his feet. Sev stepped forward and put a restraining hand on his shoulder. This was out of character for both members of the squad; it was usually Scorch and Sev who got into fights, and it was always good-natured.

This time, however, it was quiet Fixer and happy-go-lucky Scorch who were brawling, and it was beginning to alarm the rest of their squad. Boss held Fixer back by the neck of his armor, but the hacker was glaring daggers at Scorch over their leader’s shoulder. “Delta 40!” Boss barked, and Fixer’s electric green eyes seemed to shiver before they landed on Boss with a bewildered look. “Explain yourself! There is no excuse for any animosity within the squad, and there is certainly no excuse for your behavior. I want an explanation now, soldier. What’s gotten into you?”
His voice had lowered towards the end, a brother speaking to a brother, rather than a superior to a subordinate.

Fixer watched him steadily, before he marched away, growling loudly. He even went so far as to kick the bench in frustration, very nearly doing the same to his Deece before he thought better of it. “Women!” he snarled, throwing his arms into the air. Scorch, Sev and Boss all exchanged confused and alarmed looks. “I don’t understand her! One minute, our relationship is fine the way it is, and then the next, she wants to go and ruin it by taking off!” He kicked the bench again, and this time, he left a good-sized dent in it. “I don’t know what to do! I just…It was a game in the beginning, and then it turned into something else, and now she wants to leave. If she leaves, I don’t know…I don’t know what I’ll do.”

[Post count here]

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Delta Squad

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/05/2010 1:25 AM

Boss lowered his eyes, nodding slowly; he understood. “It was all so kriffing simple before they magically appeared. We were soldiers, and we fought and we died and we did our duty without ever asking why!” he continued, holding his head in one hand. “Then THEY came along, and we started questioning everything! Why do we have to do this, why do we have to die, why do we have to fight? Why can't we have this kind of life, or that kind of life?! It couldn’t just be simple, like it used to be! They came along, and they ruined it. They ruined everything!”

Fixer slumped down on the bench; Scorch and Sev didn’t dare to move. They knew what it was like to love someone, and neither had any fears of their women leaving them. Boss and Fixer, however, seemed to be another matter. “I know,” Boss said at last, and Fixer looked up, hand clenching on his knee. “It would have been so much easier if we’d never met. But then, we wouldn’t have known how happy we could be. Admit it, Fixer. You and I both know this is the happiest we’ve ever been. And if they leave…at least we knew that happiness for a brief moment in an even briefer life. We’re going to have to accept it. I already have.”

He reached down and unclipped his helmet from his belt, jamming it back on his head. “I’m on shift. I’ll be back in a few hours. Fixer, get some rest. Scorch, Sev, keep watch. I don’t want any slacking around here. Got it?” Scorch and Sev nodded mutely, as Fixer angrily forced his helmet back onto his own head, shutting out the world, and in conjunction, his brothers. Boss stalked across the platform and pulled open the door, slinging his rifle over his shoulder as he went. Scorch and Sev were well aware that Fixer could no longer hear them, but they said nothing as both silently took up positions on either side of the platform; it was going to be a long few hours.

[Post count here]

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Frustration [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 12/11/2010 1:23 AM

It had been months. Months, he reflected, since he’d seen that wave of dark chestnut hair and those vividly golden eyes. Boss found himself back on the platform, the very same one he and his squad had occupied a few months ago, when they’d been on special assignment in the innards of Coruscant. The leader of Delta squad curled his arms over the rail, watching silently as the happy lives of the people around him passed him by, this way and that. Why couldn’t that be him? Why couldn’t he be free like that? Why not him? Why? The door slammed behind him, jerking Boss from his silent thoughts as they began to spiral into dangerous territory.

He blinked twice, activating the three-hundred and sixty degree vision on his helmet and observed that it was only Fixer. The hacker stalked across the platform, and took up residence on the very same bench he’d claimed a few months back, when he’d exploded in an angry tirade about women and the horrible effects they had on their lives. “Fixer,” Boss grunted, not turning his head. He saw the hacker nod almost imperceptibly, as he settled on the bench, pulling something small from his belt to examine it; Boss realized it was the comlink he carried with him at all times, the one he had disassembled and reassembled so many times, they’d actually begun to lose count. “Where’s-”

Boss began, but he was effectively silenced by the slamming of the door, and he turned his head this time to observe Scorch and Sev saunter through it, looking fairly pleased and relaxed as they chatted amiably; a rarity for the two who bickered on a near constant basis. “Never mind,” Boss chuckled, an amused smile curling across his lips. “Yo! Boss-man!” Scorch hailed as soon as they caught sight of their two squad mates. “And Fixer! How goes it? Feels like I haven’t seen you in ages!” Sev gave Scorch a very narrowed eyed look, and pursed his lips. “We just ate lunch together in the mess, you di’kut,” he said, punctuating his words with a well-aimed smack to the back of his comrades head. Scorch cried out his hurt in a shrill yelp, and rubbed the back of his skull, shooting an accusing and offensive look at Sev, who merely looked innocent…which was nearly impossible for him.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 12/11/2010 1:25 AM

Boss only shook his head in faint amusement; trust his squad to lighten the mood when he was feeling on the down and outs. “What am I going to do with you two?” he asked, unable to keep the smile from his voice. Fixer looked up, and in a rare moment of brotherly joking, put in his two cents. “You could always turn them into fancy lawn ornaments. I hear the armored look is very in this year.” All three commandos turned and stared at the hacker, who whistled tunelessly as he continued to fiddle with his comlink.

“Whoa!” Scorch exclaimed, sidling over to his brother. “Doth my ears deceive me? Was that actually a joke from the one and only Fixer? Be still my little heart; I think I’m going to keel over now. Catch me Sev!” He leapt dramatically at Sev, the latter of who stepped back and allowed him to practically face-plant into the concrete; if it hadn’t been for Scorch’s quick reflexes, he’d have been a concussed Commando. Fixer’s lips quirked, and Sev bent down to look him in the eye. “You feelin’ all right, vod?” he asked, genuinely concerned for his brother’s health. Boss leaned over Sev’s shoulder, peering over at Fixer as if he suddenly had a second head and a contagious disease. “I’m fine,” Fixer said lightly, waving his brothers and their concern for him away. “Just fine.” Sev eyed his brother suspiciously, before Boss pulled Sev back a few feet.

“Fine?” Boss questioned, quirking one eyebrow behind his helmet. He reached up and popped the seals, easing the bucket from his head. “You sound less than fine. You look less than fine. Fixer, your smiling and cracking jokes. Did you get shot? Are you concussed? Are we dreaming, maybe?” Scorch had since recovered, and bounced over to join in the speculation. “I think he’s got a fever or something.” He made to reach out to touch Fixer’s forehead, but the hacker batted him away. “No, no!” he protested. "I’m fine. I’ve just…had a bit of clear thinking recently.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 12/11/2010 1:27 AM

Boss and Sev exchanged looks, while Scorch just appeared puzzled. “Fixer…” Boss began in a warning voice, the one he used when he was about to start in on one of his tirades. Fixer shook his head. “Not what you think. I mean…you remember that girl I told you about?” Three identical faces nodded in agreement. “Well…I’ve decided to marry her.” This time, Scorch did face-plant. Sev was so surprised, he had to lean on Boss to keep from falling over, and Boss himself was no better, using his Deece to keep both of them from hitting the floor.

“What?!” Scorch squeaked, leaping back to his feet and grabbing Fixer by the shoulders. He shook him lightly. “What are you talking about? Your getting married! You-” But he was cut off by Boss finally righting himself and pulling Scorch back a pace. “Fixer-” Boss began, folding his arms across his broad chest. He presented an imposing and impressive sight. “What the shab are you thinking? People like us can’t get married. We’re just wet-droids. Just commodities. We don’t matter, and we certainly don’t have rights. What the shab do you think your doing, you di’kut? Fierfek! This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever-” But he was cut off as Fixer calmly rose from his seat. He dusted imaginary dust off his armor, and took his time straightening himself out. Finally, he lifted his gaze towards Boss, and brown met electric, piercing green.

“With all due respect, sir, you can shove it. I don’t give a frak what those jetiise think we are, or what they use us for. I’m a man. I’m not just a clone. I deserve a life just like everyone else. Who says I can’t be happy? Who says I can’t?” Boss opened and closed his mouth like a fish out of water, floundering for an answer. “But it says in the regs-” he began weakly, suddenly not seeming like himself anymore. “Frak the regs!” Fixer exploded. “And show me where it says I can’t get married, huh? Show me where it says I can’t be happy! If you can do that, then I’ll take it all back!”

Boss, Scorch and Sev all looked faintly stunned, but Boss most of all. They stood there, staring at Fixer as he jammed his helmet back onto his head. “So if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go find Merilyn and ask her a very important question. Have a nice day, sir.” He turned and walked stiffly towards the door, his back tense and arms straight. The three commandos stared after him in stunned silence, until it was finally broken by none other than Scorch. “…It’s always the quiet ones, isn’t it?” he mused, and Boss and Sev couldn’t help but agree.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate