Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Springs, Cogs And An Over Exited Sprog. [P, Atoli and I.]

Postby Mousen » 11/30/2010 3:01 PM

It was snowing again-- not that you could feel it's bitter cold, not while the large furnace hissed and spat, its harsh heat melted everything, leaving pools of slush by the door. The large furnace, blackened with age and use stood at the center of the cobbled room. If anyone cared to look closely they would be able to pick out moving shapes within the fire's depth, fire salamanders would be the most likely explanation, the slight smell of brimstone was also a clue that the small red-hot creatures were the source of the fire. Cogs, bolts, screws and gears were scattered on the cobbled floor. On closer inspection the slightly grubby room appeared to be a modified stable block, the lack of light (aside from the furnace of course) indicative of that, the only other light in the room came from two tiny windows, covered in dust. The door, too gave a little light as it was stood slightly ajar. The room was fairly large, despite the furnace taking up most of the room, though you would almost never be able to tell due to the amount of junk that was contained in it. Clock parts and half completed clocks covered the counter tops, half finished clockwork projects, some newly discarded, others collecting dust, every bit of a clock you could imagine was here, some were perfectly restored, they stood ticking on a high self, while the half completed ones stood in rows, gears and springs all around them. There was even a model of the solar system gently spinning around, it seemed to glow faintly as it spun. Mesmerizing. A large trunk and a stool sat in one corner, the trunk was locked but due to the note stuck on it there was no secrets as to what it held. "Molds + scrap metal. Do Not Misplace." Scrap metal? That was a joke-- this whole place was scrap metal. Everything that could be taken apart and looked at, seemed to be here. Was that half an organ in the corner? It could well be, though it was hard to tell in the half light. Even the odd motor was on the desk, some had little notes on, the paper yellowing and worn. Several sets of goggles and many sets of keys lay about, obviously put in that 'safe place' where you could never find them.

The place was an odd mix of a junk shop, a black smiths, a clock repairers, a junkyard and someone's loft. It was quite astounding, you could have looked at the place every day for a year and you'd still find something new when you came back the next day. The door creaked open a little more as a figure came through it backwards, kicking the door open with her heel, in her hands was several pieces of broken clocks and a slightly tarnished silver tea pot. She was a striking figure, her black hair was pulled off her face, it was pulled through a hole in the leather hood that seemed to be either a modified aviators hat or something she'd thought up herself to keep the heat off her face, balanced carefully on top of that was a pair of goggles, one had to wonder if she knew they were there, judging by the several other pairs of goggles around, apparently not. She was petite and quite slim built. She was the wiry sort, what little curves she had were emphasized slightly by the blue cinch she wore around her waist. Despite seeming rather petite she had a toughened look to her, her clothes, despite being well looked after almost always had a little soot on them and her hands were slightly callused, she bore all the signs of someone who worked with metal and heat for a living. She set the teapot down brushing a few springs to the floor in her attempt to find some space to put it down on, unaware of the fact she'd forgotten a teacup, her eyes wandered along the length of the counter before they reached a mass of cogs and springs, if your eyes were focused enough in the half-light you might have just picked out a shape beginning to form, she fumbled in her pocket for a moment before pulling out a tiny wrench and a hair pin.

Several minutes later and Alanna Campden was feeling rather pleased with herself, in her slightly sweaty palm sat a brass grass hopper, it's copper antenna flicked about purposefully and it's tiny onyx eyes glimmered as it regarded it's creator. It gave a very soft 'Chirup' before it hopped, landing on the counter,  Alanna sighed and tried to grab the feisty critter, it jumped up sailing over her outstretched hand with relative ease, as it landed the key in it's back stopped turning and it froze in its position, it's mandibles clicked in irritation before it stopped moving entirely. The young woman gave a soft laugh before she picked up the little creature and pocketed it, unlike some of the others this one was going to stay. Unlike the rag and bone women that went looking for cloth, Alanna went looking for scrap metal, either something that she could fashion into one of her clockwork critters or a clock she could repair or even just metal to melt down. Sometimes she'd sell the things she made, other times they would go into her privet collection of clockwork. The clock it it's glass case was one of her favourites and the mesmerizing model of the solar system was another. There were always people ready to give up their broken clocks and snapped chains among other things, Alanna also made it her business to go and visit the clock repairers, they were almost always happy for her to take away the clocks which were beyond fixing.

She should really put the fire out before she did anything else, but it seemed a little to cold for that, instead she reached over for a well used pair of coal tongs, she picked up the salamanders from the fire one by one before placing them in a metal bucket filled with snow, the small creatures hissed and writhed as they were unceremoniously dropped in the icey substance. After a moment of cooling off she placed them back in the fire, by now the roaring fire had degraded into a few embers. That would do for now. Alanna turned, making sure she had everything she needed, being as absent minded as her mother, she didn't. She pulled on a well patched coat, the leather was worn, and it seemed to be made up of mostly buckles, holes and patches of a slightly dark leather. She pulled the hood over her head before going out to face the snow, it was still only early in the day and Alanna was thankful it wasn't market day, for one carting around clocks was no fun to begin with, but in this whether the journey from the outskirts of the city to the center would be horrible. Instead she'd make her rounds with a few thank you trinkets in her pockets and a jar of slightly burned biscuits, maybe those in the larger houses on the other side would take pity on her, the rich always had the best clocks, she smiled thinking of everything she'd be able to do with another grandfather clock.

Her boots hit the cobblestones as she walked, their sound muffled by the snow. She couldn't see another soul out, not that she could see very far, large flakes of snow fell evenly, there was a bitter, bitter chill to the air, it seemed as if winter really had set in. Aldrect was a beautiful city, especially in the snow, if gently glazed over most of the flaws and tactfully covered the uglier bits of the city, everything was rather silent, only the slight sound of voices muffled by the snow could be heard and the quiet wheedling music of some street performer trying to make enough to escape the freezing temperatures he was enduring. She walked down the main streets, pulling her coat around her as she did so, despite the beauty of where she was it was still bitterly cold, it bit at her callused fingers and it bit at her nose. Alanna's head turned just in time to see her grasshopper jump out of her pocket and into the snow, it must have managed to wind itself up! Wonderful. Alanna cursed, before scrambling after it, the metal insect gave a noise of joy as it jumped, happy to be out of the pocket that smelt of wood smoke and iron. "Come back here you little fiend! You'll get rusty, you'll be laughing when you go all stiff and yeh can't move for squeakin'!" She knew he'd run out eventually, but it was cold and she had better things to do than be out in the snow looking for him when he finally stopped. Atleast she could look forward to making a nice woodlouse or millipede when she got in-- Something that was nice and slow when it was wound up.

(Long Post. X3 The Brass Grasshopper's name is Sprog. :3)

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Springs, Cogs And An Over Exited Sprog. [P, Atoli and I.]

Postby Atoli01 » 12/01/2010 5:57 PM

It was cold - I had to admit. I held out my hand to catch a few of the pure white snowflakes, looking up at the clashing bright blue sky. I watched as a snowflake fell softly on the tip of my nose, sparkling, then melting away, leaving only a drop of water in its place. I sighed and wiped the water off my nose, just as she came along - Lorelei.

"Hey, hey! Let's go do something! We don't get to enjoy weather like this very often!" I still stood there, pretending not to notice her. That is, until she waved her hand right in front of my face. "Yo, earth to Jack! Let's get going!"

She pulled on sleeve of my jacket as I reluctantly followed. I was never able to be alone on days when it was as pretty as this, snowflakes falling everywhere you looked. I suddenly became aware of all the noises around me. Everything from the muffled sound of footsteps to whispering of the wind through the alleyways, but still... It was too quiet, yet too noisy when Lorelei was yelling. Nothing in life could be completely perfect, I guess.

"Jack! Over here! I think I heard something!"

That girl had the most amazing hearing, I swear. She could probably be able to hear someone's footsteps, even in this weather, a mile away. I sighed as she ran around the corner; I followed her and I watched as she almost collided right into someone, stopping just a few inches short. I grabbed her scarf, pulling her back a bit as I walked in front of her, up to the girl. I fixed my scarf and placed a hand on Lorelei's shoulder.

"Is that nifty convention your's, miss?"

(I finally posted? -shot- My dad kept telling me to do random stuff last night, so I didn't get around to finishing it before he forced me to get to bed... TT_TT And then I tried to do it class today, but I forgot I didn't have the images of the human forms with me. D: And yeah, kinda sorta depressed today, so my muse died... :/)

A beautiful moon shines above again tonight,
And it sheds light happily over the world.
As for me, I'm just worthless, good for nothing,
Dreaming at daybreak, creeping at dawn.

Still I'll scream into the sky, hoping that somebody will find me.
I want to run, but there's no way out--
No bright future in sight.
But I still fly up like a butterfly, hoping that you'll find me.
A crescent moon, ugly children of the stars, flying with broken wings...!

Home | Imp. Docs. | Sales | Listing
Journal | Wishes | Roleplays
Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1035
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/01/2010 8:11 PM

Alanna took and immediate step back, surprised by the sudden company. She smiled as she saw the brass grasshopper firmly grasped in the young man's out stretched hand. "Yes, he's mine. Thank you." Atleast now she didn't have to catch him, though she felt a little bit out of place in her slightly stained patched coat. "I'll deal with you later." she whispered to the grasshopper before putting him back in her pocket, careful to place the key away from him. After a moment she brushed a stray lock of hair from her face, tucking into her hood.

"Clockwork." she explained simply. "Nothin' better than brass an' springs." she cursed her bottom class accent silently-- it wasn't something she could help, her mother was the same, not as bad as Alanna was, but nevertheless. Her smile, now, had a somewhat awkward touch to it, as if she was stuck on what to say. Despite her tough exterior she wasn't always good with people, unless they had something in common she never knew what to say, pushing that aside she decided to be bold. "Alanna Campden, at your service, Sir and Ma'am." She stuck out her hand, covered by a fingerless leather glove. "I'm the regular Clock and Tock for Aldrect. In other words I'm the rag lady for clocks," She held out her other hand, in it was clasped what appeared to be a small pocketwatch, upon flicking it open she revealed a small enamelled globe of the world, it seemed almost impossible for it to fit in the watch casing, but upon looking closer the observant eye might spot a series of intricate hinges a claver folding system. Alanna smiled, taking a moment to admire her handiwork, the moment it seemed the pocketwatch had given up all it's secrets she pressed the globe down a little and it flicked open, revealing the tiniest clock face. No need to mention how many hours fiddling with screws that took her, it had been worth it in the end though, the clock face was really too small to be practical, but it was a novelty piece, and the sale of it might buy her lunch tomorrow.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby Atoli01 » 12/03/2010 9:11 PM

I smiled as she took the grasshopper away from me. It really was quite interesting - the way it could hop around and move on its own and all. Sure, there were a bunch of toys at stores that when you wound them up, they moved, but this one was just a bit more intriguing than the rest. Well, maybe it was because I had a certain fondness towards things like that, but still! I heard her whisper something to it as she slipped it back into her pocket, but I couldn't quite hear what. Darn these human ears; I barely heard anything.

"So... Did you make the little guy, then?" I had asked her once she stopped talking, gesturing towards the pocket she had placed the grasshopper in.

If she did, it really was wonderful. I mean, I made things too - well, tried to make things was a better term - but they always end up blowing up in my face. And assuming she did make it, she would have to give me some serious lesson. I mean, you can only deal with flames, smoke, and the constant burn wounds on your body for so long! It definitely wasn't something I liked doing. Things blowing up in my face, that is.

I watched as she played around with the small trinket of hers that was in her hand; a clock it looked like? More a pocket watch, but they both told time, so what was the difference, really? Speaking of which, what time was it anyway?

"Hey, Alanna? Did you make that, too?" Lorelei ran up to her, hovering over her hand and admiring the small watch. I pushed her back so she was behind me. Enough room so she wasn't scaring the poor girl to death. You never know who's claustrophobic and who's not - better to be on the safe side.

"I'm sorry, where are my manners?" I held out my hand and continued speaking, "I'm Wheeljack - you can just call me Jack, though - and this girl is Lorelei. It's nice to meet you."

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/04/2010 9:37 PM

"Aye, one of the more troublesome things I've made lately, but I fashioned it together, nevertheless." Alanna nodded, giving the man a wry smile as she spoke. "Never have I had something so wily, I swear, I think he managed to wind himself up! Ungrateful little toe rag, he is." Despite the fact her words could be considered harsh her tone was warm and indicated only humour. It was normal for her, really it was common for her and her mother to do so, being brought up in relatively the same place.

Alanna wasn't vain, not really. Sometimes, she really couldn't help showing of a little, goodness knows she deserved it after all the calluses and burns she had. It wasn't like she minded the little bit of pain that sometimes accompanied her job, it 'kept her on her toes' as it were.

"Yes, I made that too, and the trouble it gave me too. Gettin' all them hinges in the right place wasn't the most enjoyable thing, but still my trade keeps a roof over my head and it keeps the furnace burning." She didn't mind Lorelei in the least, infact she found her enthusiasm sweet, it was rare anyone took an interest in her craft at all. "What makes two people such as yourselves venture out in the snow? Can't be work in this weather, you look far too well to do." She laughed again, she was a warm person generally, fiery when angered, but like a fire her anger soon died down when she was angry.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 12/12/2010 12:34 PM

It really was amazing, what she did. I could never do something like that, not to save my life. I went to adjust my scarf just a bit and saw another drop of snow fall onto my hand. I just wished it would stop snowing. I mean yeah, the cold was great - a real relief from the eighty-some degree weather I was normally in - but the snow wasn't pleasant in the least!

"That's really cool, both of them! I just take things apart, lucky if I can get them back together though, haha!" Lorelei had stepped forward so that she was standing next to me. She gestured in my direction, continuing, "All he does is just plain have things blow up in his -"

I curled my hand up into a fist and hit Lorelei over the head. Not too hard, but hard enough to make her stop talking for a few seconds. It might have been a bit immature of me, but I didn't particularly want someone like Alanna to know about... that. The explosions. The smoke. The fire. I sighed as Lorelei spun around and started yelling things like 'what was that for?!' and the like.

"Oh, us? We're just out here for a stroll." I looked at Alanna and lowered my voice a little. Shame, was it? We were better off than her and there was no effort involved in out part. "We... we don't even work, per se."

"Yup! I dragged him out here! Days like this are the best!"

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/14/2010 8:34 PM

Alanna looked up at the bleak sky and shivered, pulling her patched and frayed coat tighter around herself. The temperature was dropping by the minute, it showed no sign of letting up, if anything the snowstorm had got worse.

"Well, it's my life I suppose. My best friend is the son of a clockmaker and my mother is a mechanic, my father used to be a mechanic... I suppose you can say it's both in my blood and upbringing. I've always been around mechanics and the such like, but I'm not quite strong enough for proper mechanics, I'm more suited to clock making and the such like." As she mentioned her father her face fell a little, but she soon shrugged it off. As Lorelei began mention something Alanna tilted her head, though as a argument ensued she decided to stay out of it and act like she hadn't heard anything.

"Don't worry about it none," she said, hearing the guilt in his voice. "I can't help the fact I was born into a workin' class background, just like you can't help the fact that your the opposite, or somethin' near anyhow. I ain't ever been one to accept pity, Jack." She lilted his name slightly, his name sounded different through her accent, though not unpleasant.

"I'll wager, so long as you've got a good roaring fire to go home to, there ain't nothin' better."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 12/22/2010 4:09 PM

Lorelei smiled and looked at Alanna admiringly. She always loved being around other people that worked with machines, or anything like them, that is. Although, she didn't hang out with me all that much. But then again, that was understandable, considering the fact I've only ever successfully crafted something about... one or two times, I think...? I wondered if I would ever be able to be as good as Alanna at making things. I mean, just the two things we had seen that she had made so far were absolutely amazing.

"Even if you don't make big things, I still think that its amazing, what you do. I mean, I could never do anything like that. Jack couldn't, either," Lorelei said happily, laughing a little at the end.

The only reason that I didn't decide to smack her over the head again was because it was true. Although, I wouldn't quite use the word never - it wasn't a word I liked. Almost anything was possible if you put your mind to it. Impossible was also a word I hated using, since it was basically the same as never. I sighed; Lorelei could be so pessimistic at times, even is she was oblivious of it.

Both of us kept quiet at her other comments. They were much too true; I mean, it wasn't our fault, not in the least, but nonetheless, I couldn't help but feel bad. She worked so hard for what she wanted - no, net even that - what she needed, and we had basically everything we could wish for at the snap of our fingers.

"Hehe, that is true, I suppose! As long as you're happy with your life!" Lorelei said cheerfully. That girl was just downright oblivious to half of the things around her.

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/22/2010 4:32 PM

"I'm sure you could do something similar, if yeh tried. I mean I repair most things, so 'alf the hard work has already been done for me. Occasionally I make things from scratch, but they do take a while, I admit." She grinned, shrugging her shoulders as if was nothing. Rarely did she get such high praise. Alanna couldn't help but blush a little at Lorelei's compliments. "Oh, I'm sure your Jack is just tryin' a little too 'ard. 'S like cooking, if you are scared o' burning yourself you will and if you ain't scared you will anyway, you've just gotta do what the metal wants yer to do, rather than what yer have already got planned for it."

Sensing the slightly tense atmosphere, Alanna sighed, rolling her eyes a little. "Honestly, I couldda been alot worse off, there's a good thousand children out starvin' on these streets, my Mam's got a livin' I've got a livin', I've got some good friends 'ere and there. What else do ya really need at the end o' the day? I go without a few luxuries 'ere and there, when business is slow. I 'aven't starved yet, so I'm obviously not that badly off. Yer just taking it badly 'cause you ain't used to seein' the working end of the spectrum." She said earnestly, her stubborn streak preventing her from letting the matter go.

She looked up to the bleak sky and smiled a little, the snow showed no sign of letting up any time soon. "Jack, Lorelei, you don't seem t' know the area as well as you might, and you seem like friendly enough folk, what do you say to coming back with me? With all the snow that we're having there isn't any chance of me getting anything much done today, the most I can do is keep those dratted ttees breathing fire." Here, realizing how strange that sounded, she smiled. "Don't ask. Anyway, depending on how far you are from where you live, well I wouldn't want to see you stranded. Besides," She said, bending down to Lorelei's height, winking consiprationally. "I can probably teach your old Jack not to be so darned useless eh?" It was meant as a well meaning joke, her whole family were the same. She just hoped if Wheeljack had heard that he wouldn't take it too seriously.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 12/22/2010 5:19 PM

Strangely, I guess to my surprise - maybe, maybe not, I didn't really know - everything Alanna was saying proved to be true. And with how good she was at making various things, I would definitely take her advice into account. I mean, she seemed like the person who was honest about basically everything, so... And on top of that, even though I just met her, I really had no reason not to believe her.

I smiled and replied, "Haha, thanks. I think... I need all the advice and help I could possibly get, to be honest." I laughed a little at the end. As much as I didn't want to admit that I was as horrible at making things, well, I was.

Lorelei put both of her arms behind her back, and looked down at her feet. The full reality of us not having to work finally hit her, I guess. She sighed and a frown came across her face. No matter what Alanna said, it was just in our nature to be caring for others. And even though she might end up hating it, that commonly ended up turning into pity.

"I-I guess that's true. Almost all of our friends are like us, almost no work involved, so y'know... I hate how the world is so unfair," she said softly.

But Lorelei cheered up again - almost like nothing had happened - when Alanna had talked to her. I was able to catch some of it, and both of us ended up laughing a little. I mean, it wasn't a bad offer. We got to get out of this weather, hang out with a new friend, and well, get a little lesson? A much needed one, at that.

So I smiled and replied, "That would be splendid. I think we'll just have to take you up on that offer."

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/24/2010 6:57 PM

Alanna smiled. "If you say so, though once you get started yeh should be allright. What can go wrong putting a couple o' cogs together?" She paused for a moment. "Wait, don't answer that."

She rolled her eyes, sensing she was fighting  a loosing battle with the two. In her mind she was rather well off, better than some anyway. It wasn't the most pleasant of jobs, especially in summer with the boiling heat of the furnace. Absent mindedly she rubbed her callused hands together, being careful of a particularly nasty burn on her left hand. She sucked in the air through her teeth, hoping the other's wouldn't notice her small injury.

"All workin' class over there. No frills, unlike the pretty boys I meet over on this side of town." She shot a sideways glance at Wheeljack winking. She bent down, scooping up some snow in her hand. Which she promptly tossed at the unfortunate man, most of it missed, however. "Still can't throw for toffee mind you." Alanna said chuckling at herself.

"Allright, then. Let's go. I warn ya though, the place ain't spotless." She motioned which way she was going and began walking. "Guys, this way"

The trip wasn't a particularly long one, as they were soon on the edges of Aldrect, the area here seemed to have a permanent smell of smoke and cooking, many accented voices filled the air. Even in the snow people were still out in an attempt to earn what little they could.
" 'Eh Alanna!"
"Oi! 'Lanna!"
"Watcha Campden!"
"Brought 'ome a fella, lassie? Ain't he the handsomest thing? Emery will be mighty annoyed wi' you."
"Not on your life, Stitches." Alanna shouted back, weaving her way through the streets of terraced houses and threadbare inhabitants. The place was poor, yes, but they were an honest lot and as warm hearted as they came. She was lucky to be here.  

"Neighbours," She said. "What ya going t' do?" She laughed, shrugging her shoulders. Turning a corner there was another set of terraces, these seemed to be wider built and altogether more square. Perhaps built in a different era? Their small, but pretty paned windows stood out from the others in the streets. They seemed older. Instead of going in around the front she motioned for them to come around the back. There was a small stable block, namely Alanna's workshop.
"My pride any joy, make yourself at home. Try not t' sit on anything, as hard as that is. I have a habit of collectin' things that might come in handy. Never know what you might need. The house is tidier by far. Cup o' tea for you two?" She asked, brushing the dust of one of her clocks.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate