Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Chapter 6: Sorry

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:54 AM

His brows furrowed, and the usually quiet solider frowned. "I see," he muttered. Ignoring M.J.'s confused look, he ascended the stairs in front of her, and disappeared from sight. M.J stared after him, looking uncomfortable and unhappy. She had a feeling she had just done something terrible.

And it could only get worse...

----

Blowing her bangs out of her face, M.J. huffed unhappily.

She was leaned up against the window, tilting her chair on its back legs in a precarious position. Her arms were crossed tightly over her chest, and one leg jiggled impatiently as she waited for Bill to return.

He had been gone for nearly an hour, and while she was all for getting up and dragging his sorry ass back to the rubble filled house, she had been ordered to stay indoors. Why? Well, the same reason she was not allowed to participate in the assaults on Foy, Rachamps and Noville.

She was a woman.

(Continuation of Chapter 5

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: Chapter 6: Sorry

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:54 AM

Growling under her breath, she let her chair fall back to earth with a loud 'Bang!' and jolted from her seat. A few of the fellows that had been lounging about in their cots, playing a friendly game of cards, offered her odd looks. She passed by them without a word, swiftly making her way to where George was sorting rations in the other room.

Sighing heavily, she drug her booted feet across the carpet, to plunk her arms down on the desk that stood in front of the radio operator. "George," she whined, burying her face in her folded arms. George looked up, an amused smile on his face.

"Yeah, princess?"

She mock glared at him for a brief moment, before giving up any form of intimidation, and plunked her head back down with an audible thump. "Can you go get Bill for me? I'm bored..." She smiled sweetly, blinking her long dark lashes in a cute way.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:55 AM

George only shook his head, still looking entirely too amused for his own good. "No can do, princess. I've gotta sort out these rations, and make sure they get where they need to go. Isn't there anyone else you can weasel into doing your dirty work?"

"I wasn't weaseling," she protested lamely, but shrugged. "Now that you mention it..." The sound of boot steps echoed in the hall, and a couple of the men rounded the corner. Cobb, Liebgott and Martin. They each offered her a greeting and a smile, before turning to their friend behind the large desk. Smiling evilly, M.J. clung to the desk for a moment, before picking up a chocolate bar from one of George's boxes.

"Oi," he growled, his cigarette hanging out of his mouth. But other than his initial protest, he ignored her thievery.

"Hey, boys," M.J. cajoled casually, smiling brightly. "How would one of you like to do me a favor?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:55 AM

The three soldiers exchanged looks, knowing that whatever it was, it was probably unpleasant. They glanced at the chocolate bar, then at George, and turned to the radio operator. "Hey, how'd you like to share that chocolate, George?" Cobb asked him quickly, his eyes shifting nervously to M.J. George laughed out loud, nearly dropping his cigarette as Vest shuffled into the room and behind the desk to help sort things out.

M.J. looked put out, and annoyed. She crossed her arms, glaring at the three offenders. "Hey, I'm not your runner," Martin protested, holding his hands up in defeat, but failing to hide his amusement. Joe and Cobb studiously avoided meeting her gaze, and Joe even resorted to whistling as if he'd done nothing wrong.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:56 AM

Grumbling to herself, M.J. turned and stalked off down the hall, past the bunk beds and towards the stairs. She hadn't gotten very far when she ran into a rather large, rather soft, moving object. Wincing slightly as she bounced off said object, M.J. looked up in time to see Joe as he glanced past her and exited the room.

She shook her head. Was he still angry with her? She just couldn't figure that man out. He needed to talk more. At least then, he could tell her what was wrong. Sighing heavily, she continued her trek through the rooms, until she came to the edge of the stairs leading to the bottom floors.

[5]

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

A sudden quaking nearly sent her tumbling down them, and the sounds of shells overhead drowned out her high-pitched shriek as she clung to the banister. A second later, nearly every man who had been at the top floor, rushed her way. Joe, who had just entered the room previous, had been the first one to the stairs. He grabbed her waist and bodily hauled her down them, the other men following as everyone dived for cover under random objects.

Being plunked down by a very un-talkative and grudge bearing sergeant, M.J. reflected on the hilarity of the situation. Here she was sitting underneath an old, rickety table with Joe next to her, trying to cover both of them with his arms. Like any of that would have stopped a very determined shell. If it wanted to hit them, it sure as hell would.

She chuckled.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Her body was squashed against the hard, cold floor, and Joe was still leaning over her as the shells rocked the old building and debris began to rain down in small bit and pieces over the cowering soldiers. The table continued to rock, and she glanced around at the men who covered their heads with their arms, chairs and anything else they could find.

She giggled.

Joe gave her a strange look. It was frustrated, annoyed, and unhappy. She glanced at him, and she couldn't help the laughter that bubbled to the surface. I really have cracked, she reflected grimly, as she held her arms around her sides and laughed until she could hardly breathe.

She laughed.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

By now, the shelling had all but stopped, and the soldiers were peeking out of their respective hiding places, and offering her strange looks. Joe scooted out from under the table, all but dragging the hysterical lieutenant with him. He stared at her for a moment, laughing without a care in the world, and after a few seconds of scowling, he began to feel his lips twitch.

He smiled.

Standing there, staring at the girl he had come to know over the short span of a few months, Joe couldn't help but reflect on how odd the situation was. Him angry at her for her thoughtlessness. Her, unaware of why he was angry. And then the bombing had started, and all he could think about was getting the both of them to safety. He hadn't really cared about his grudge, or her careless words. He had just thought about saving their lives. It was really very funny, and quite, he had to admit, odd.

He grinned.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:57 AM

M.J. gave him a strange look, and continued her laughing, her face scrunched up and her eyes closed tight as she held her sides and chortled merrily. He glanced at her and he couldn't help the laughter that bubbled to the surface. I really have cracked, he reflected with an annoyed mental snort, as he held his arms around his sides and laughed until he could hardly breathe.

He laughed.

The two stood there, laughing, smiling and forgetting their troubles as the rest of their comrades scuttled warily around them, afraid to catch whatever they might have, and hurried back upstairs. M.J.'s laughter began to slowly subside, winding down to a smattering of light giggles.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:57 AM

Joe's laughter died down as well, and he chuckled one last time, his laughter fizzling out completely. He couldn't believe he'd been mad at her for something so silly. It was ridiculous really, and the past few moments, had, strangely, changed his mind about it all. He couldn't believe how a few seconds of extreme worry and panic for someone who was so close to you, could change a guy. But then again, he shouldn't be surprised. This was war, after all.

His smile did not fade as he offered her his hand.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:58 AM

M.J. wiped a tear from her eye as he laughter subsided completely, and dipped her head inquisitively. She couldn't believe she'd been so thoughtless about such a silly thing. It was ridiculous really, and the past few moments, had, strangely, changed her mind about it all. She felt bad for what she had said, and suddenly realized how much it must've hurt her friend. She couldn't believe how a few seconds of hysterical hilarity with a person who was so close to you, could change a gal. But then again, she shouldn't be surprised. This was war, after all.

Her smile did not fade as she took his hand.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

"So, youz two have made up, I see?"

M.J. glanced up from where she and Joe had been playing cards. Joe kept his eyes trained on his hand, and then, without warning, flipped down one of his cards with a very soft, and triumphant 'ha!' M.J. whipped her head around, and groaned as she threw her cards onto the table.

"Damn! That is the - what, fourth, fifth? - time you've beat me, Joe. You're one lucky bastard." She growled as he collected his chocolate bar, a last-ditch effort from M.J. to win her two dollars from the previous games back, as his prize. Bill laughed, slapping his friend on the back as he settled into a chair between the two.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

"Hey, youz two hear about that mission tonight? Our fellas is gonna cross that river, there. I feel sorry for the poor guys that gotta head out on that one. I mean, despite the shellin', it's pretty comfy-cozy here, right?"

M.J. rolled her eyes. "Yes, Bill. Despite the crippling fear of going outside and being hit by a random incoming mortar, and the fact that the buildings are falling apart, and I don't have my damn chocolate bar anymore, it's pretty 'comfy-cozy,' as you say."

"Right?"

"You're an idiot, Wild Bill..." she sighed.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:59 AM

Joe rubbed his chin as he stuck his newly won chocolate bar in his front pocket. M.J. made a mental note to try and weasel it back from him later on. "So, who's goin' on the mission anyways?" he cajoled, glancing at Bill.

The laughing soldier, who had been receiving none too friendly glares from the female intelligence officer, pulled off his helmet and ran a hand through his dark hair. "Let's see...Jackson, Grant, Powers, Wynn, Webster, Vest, Cobb, Jones, Heffron, Ramirez, McClung, Sisk, Garcia and Martin."

M.J. unfolded her arms, blinking in surprise. "Vest? Jones? Those two? Is that a good idea? I mean, they have absolutely zero combat experience. What if they panic? Those boys are relying heavily on secrecy. You can't have much of that if you've got a couple of hysterical new kids tagging along."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/15/2013 4:59 AM

Bill nodded his head slowly. "Believe you me, princess, they've given this as much thought as they could. Jones isn't leading, thank God, and Vest should be a part of the firing squad. Him, Pop, Web, Cobb and Jones is supposed to be layin' down a base of fire. But hell, who can ever tell with these types of missions? It'll probably all go to hell and no one will know what they're doin'. Although, I bet they'll get through it, if they got Martin leadin' them. Now there's a man I'd like to be watching my back when I encountered a group o' Krauts. Damn good soldier."

M.J. and Joe looked thoughtful as they took in everything that Bill had just told them. She was quite glad that neither of them had been selected for the mission. Probably due to the fact that they had been injured recently. Sighing, she folded her arms once more, and turned to Joe. "Now about my chocolate bar..." she ventured in a falsely sweet tone.

Bill couldn't stop laughing.

-----------------

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next