Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

What Is A Family... [M:L]

Postby Mojave » 11/07/2015 8:54 PM

ImageImage
Bagheera | Khan

The smell of pizza caused her stomach to grumble. She watched as a guy hopped into his car with the delivery bag and drove away, wishing he was delivering fresh, hot food to her. Shaking her head, she returned her attention to the sidewalk in front of her as she continued to the ATM at the corner. Her stomach growled again and she decided to remember the place for later. She could check out their dumpster once they closed.

She had turned the corner and was headed to the cross walk when she saw the cops at the ATM she and Khan had been hitting all month. With a curse, she continued walking without crossing the street to the ATM, hoping she looked casual enough, that her brief pause hadn't alerted any of the cops, and hoping that none of them would recognize her from the missing persons posters she'd seen around Evelon.

Relieved that none of them seemed to have given her more than a single glance, she slipped down a familiar alley. As she slipped quietly down the narrow passage, she thought about her friend. Khan hadn't come with her, took weak from his recent cold to do more than sleep. The season was turning from Summer to Autumn, though it felt like this year would go straight to Winter.

She decided to wait in the alley and scope out the pizza joint. It had been a while since either she or Khan had had more to eat than the small vermin they managed to catch, uneaten scraps they found in trash cans, or canned beans they managed to filch from stores. As the evening wore on, she watched the same guy come and go with pizzas and other things, wondering if he ever left. Finally, the sign changed from OPEN to CLOSED and everyone left. Everyone except the delivery guy. She watched to make sure he wasn't coming out of the building before quickly crossing the street and slipping behind the dumpster where the cameras couldn't see her. As quietly as possible, she opened the back sliding panel and pulled herself up to rummage about for a box that hadn't spilled or been ruined.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Re: What Is A Family...

Postby ShadowStitches » 11/08/2015 12:48 PM

A deep sigh escaped Oz, as he manouvered the companies delivery car towards the Pizza joint for the last time today. It had been a busy day, but at least the customers had been less obnoxious. for the most part.

With a yawn, he pulled in to the parking lot, grabbed his delivery bag and slammed the car door shut. Hopefully, he would be able to quit this soon. It was lucky enough that he got the job in the first place, with him barely having a drivers licence for a year now, but then again the shop owner had done much more dubious things. Sighing he opened the joints door and slipped in to confirm his last dilivery and then get the
shop ready.

Pretty much as soon as he was in, his boss and the rest of the staff flew off, which left him alone in the joint.
All the better, the last thing he needed now was someone breathing down his neck, and pointing out that he forgot to wipe of the napkin holders. Closing ment extra bucks , and he would not complain, as long as
he was allowed to work alone.

Not too long after, he did a last check on the front door, and then switched out the lights. Unlucky for Bagheera, Oz often took the backdoor to get rid of the last trash and, more importantly, because it was a shortcut on the way back home for him. Locking the back door, the boy froze as he heard a very low rustle from the dumpster. And there was the obligatory shadow of a person rusteling through its contents. He could however, from his point of view, hardly see how big this shadow was
/.ugh....why cant you just be a racoon or something/

He became pretty self aware at that point, being a young, scrawny delivery guy with no weapon or fighting skills to mention. Never the less, he puffed himself up as best he could, and said in a what he hoped to be manly and stern voice "Okay Buddy, I see you. Why don't you make this easier on both of us and just...get out of there?".
Cannot say, I'm breaking the rules
If I can glue em back together.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 672
Donate

Postby Mojave » 11/08/2015 5:21 PM

Baggy gasped, nearly losing her grip on the sides of the opening. She managed to catch herself and prevent falling face first into the disgusting mix of debris, rotten pizza, trash, and maggots. She quickly pulled herself out of the dumpster and dropped back to the ground next to the two boxes she'd managed to salvage of untouched, unspoiled pizza. She ducked down, grabbed the boxes, and made to run away. However, when she rounded the dumpster, she came face to face with Oz.

With a small wimper, she clutched the boxes closer to herself and stepped back. Even though he wasn't that large, he still had the ability to overpower her. Or worse, call the cops. If she was taken downtown, they'd put her somewhere she couldn't escape. Khan could get sicker, even die. And then she'd be taken back the house where she was molested, her mother doing nothing to prevent it, even blaming her. Her heart began to race at the thought and her brow furrowed in anger and determination. She would not go back, and she wouldn't let this man catch her.

Unsure what to say, she stood glaring at him, waiting for him to make the next move.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 11/08/2015 6:43 PM

Oz almost jumped at the small frame rounding the dumpster. He quickly realized that he was not facing a full grown, potentially violent man here, but a girl who had clearly seen better days. Or that was what he hoped, for her sake. Anyways, not a direct threat to him.

His shoulders relaxed slightly, and he sighed deeply when he realized that she was afraid of him. Of him, of all people. He really was not looking intimidating, but then again he had no idea what this girl had been through already. Dumpster diving was not something one did just for the thrill of it. "Goddamnit, kid" he muttered.

If he was honest, he had no idea how to handle this situation. He never had to deal with something like this,
and he felt like a complete moron just staring at her. Finally, after what felt like hours to him, he said
"okay look. I'm not going to harm you, or call the cops or any of that Bull." Yes, of course he knew he should at the very least report her, even try to catch her. But Oz was not exactly the most morale loving type of person. If it did not regard him, it was none of his business. And while he felt somewhat  sorry for her, he figured that first of all, she most likely ran away from home and had a good reason, and that if he did any action to catch her or call the cops, it would get a long, looong night. Nothing he fancied right now.

He advanced slowly, not wanting to scare her of "But. I'll need you to hand me back that trash. Shop policy and all that. If you or anyone else gets sick, they will investigate the place, and my boss will have my head for it so. just leave the stuff, scurry away and dont come back." He knew that it would not be that easy.

(whoa he seems like a....proper a** here XD. Dont worry, he'll get softer soon, especially after Vertigo has a little talk with him ;))

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: What Is A Family... [M:L]

Postby Mojave » 11/09/2015 4:47 PM

It occured to her that he had been expecting some hard-ass hobo that was larger than him, and she moved to run past him. But before she could take advantage of his surprise, he spoke and she froze. Her expression turned skeptical when he stated he wasn't going to hurt her or anything, but she stood her ground, still glaring. When he demanded she return the trashed pizzas, she clutched them even closer to herself and took a step back. "You're not going to eat them." She almost hissed, "Besides, what do you care if some street urchin gets sick or dies from the food she has to scrounge for?" She spat the phrase 'street urchin' at him, since she'd been called it before by those more fortunate than her. It always pissed her off when someone called her that. Like she had a choice.

At this point, he started to step back furthe from him, angling back toward the alleys behind the pizza joint. If he could just slip into one, she could outrun him and even knock some trash bins down in his path to slow him down. All she needed was to get far enough in he wouldn't be able to follow her back to Khan.  

[It's fine, he could have been a bigger ass than he was. Sorry my post is so short.]
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 11/09/2015 6:07 PM

( no worries, mine will be short too toda :( Pretty tired)

/Street Urchin?/ he seemed baffeled at her using that name on herself, blinking. "err..." he started, before
gathering himself again. "I already told you, If something happens to you, they will probably-" he
stopped "Okay they will absolutely 100% close the place down once they take a closer look at it.
And either my bosswill kill me, or at the very least I'll be jobless"
He realized how low that had
to sound to her. After all he had a job and what could be considered a almost normal life, if
you would not delve too deep into it, but he at the same time had a rent to pay and was the
sole person in his household with a steady income.

If it was his descision, she could keep all the pizza she wanted, but alas, it was not. And he was
far too tired to continue this conversation. Stepping forward slightly, he reached out a hand
"So just stop making a fuss..." Even to him it sounded listless. If the girl was not so jumpy, she
most likely would have picked up pretty quickly that he would not seriously chase her. He just clung to the unrealistic hope that she would get even more nervous and run without her 'Bounty'.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 11/27/2015 10:05 PM

She hopped back closer to the alley, still holding the pizzas. She glared at him for split moment before she used the impetus of her movement to spin on the balls of her feet and start running toward the alley. She flinched, expecting him to yell, but used each pump of her legs to push herself farther away from him. When she gained the safety of the alley, she started knocking over trash bins to slow him down, sure he was pursuing her. When she rounded a corner, she ducked into a narrow opening and covered her mouth, hardly gasping for air, waiting for him to pass by. She also listened to see if he had been hindered by whatever contents had been in the bins, if he was cussing, or panting. Any indication that he was following her, honestly.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 12/04/2015 4:49 PM

/goddamnit!/ cursing, Oz charged forward when Baggy ran. It was more of a instinctual reaction, and half-assed at best. Really, he usually could not care less, but he really needed this job. When his feet got caught in some stray rubbish from a pushed trashcan and landed in the next puddle however, his enthusiasm of chasing after poor souls and cold stolen pizza left him drastically. Growling, he pushed himself up, and snarled in the general direction of where the girl seemed to have dissapeared "yeah you better run! If I catch you around here again I'll..." well...what exactly would he do? "err...I'm sure you know what will happen!"
/ah. smooth. real smooth/. He decidet to just let it go. He felt humiliated, his knee hurt, he was dirty, and he just had about enough of this night. Defeated he walked back towards home.

He pushed the door of his apartment open, only to find Vertigo passed out on the Sofa. Trip was no where to be seen . "Figures" he mumbled. The figure on the sofa stirred ad lifted her head "morning" She said groggily,
blinking at the bright light. "Not exactly" "mh..." She sat up and streched, now ginging him a closer look
"the hell happened" she asked, referring to his wet clothes and bloody knee "ah, just chased down some squatter who stole pizza from our trash" he mumbled. Vertigo's head snapped around at him. "Oh. I bet you feel like a real hero now" she hissed. "Dont give me that moral shit now. not me that wrote the shop policy you know..." "but you are following it. and you chase homeless people away for..." Oz had been about to sit down on the couch, but instead passed it and beelined towards his room "good night, V" he cut her short, and slammed the door shut behind himself. Worst part was: he knew she was right...

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/06/2015 11:47 PM

Relieved that he had given up, she took a moment to steady herself with a few deep breaths. Once relaxed, she picked up the boxes again and went to the abandoned building she and Khan had broken into. She climbed the stairs carefully, watching the rotten spots they'd discovered the first time they'd come up here. Once safely on the landing of their floor, she went into the windowless room they slept in. They had figured it would be the best place to have lights since it couldn't be seen from the streets. "I'm home~" She announced as she entered the room, leaving the door open for the time being.

Khan stirred on the futon they'd salvaged from an apartment building's trash and sat up at the smell of pizza. "See? I told you we could still hit that ATM." He smiled sleepily, struggling to breath through the mucus in the back of his throat and clogging his sinuses.

"Actually the cops were there. I had to steal this from the dumpster." She said with disappointment.

"Ew." He screwed up his face. "Don't we have any beans left?" He looked at the box and the obvious grease stains from the trash.

"It's clean, I checked before pulling it out. I was only able to find a supreme and what I think is a cheeseburger pizza. All the sausage pizzas were spoiled and there weren't any with anchovies." She placed the boxes on a table beside the bed where she halved both pizzas so they could each have some of both. She handed him the cleanest box and went to find their stash of towels, napkins, and paper towels. Khan pulled the semi-warm pizza apart and began to eat. His tastes were significantly dulled, but the food helped and he started to feel better as energy surged through his tired body.

She returned to hand him a towel and sat down at the table to eat her own. "We'll have to get more tissue for you, all we have is rags. And I think it's time we went to one of the truck stops around here to find Molly Sue. We need showers." She said, feeling his forehead and how sticky his skin was from fighting the fever. "It should do you some good."

"We'll go tomorrow." He said, slowly eating his fourth piece of the supreme, enjoying the peppers and onions since they so rarely got to eat anything other than fatty foods or beans.

After they ate, they curled up together on the mattress and huddled together for warmth under their only blanket. Neither really felt comfortable being this close to someone of the opposite gender, but they'd had to get over their pubescent awkwardness early on after leaving the homeless shelter a year ago. They were asleep soon after laying down, and they slept until noon the next day.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 12/08/2015 5:37 PM

He slept bad that night, Usually, Oz was not exactly known to care much for those surrounding him.
Sure, he was not entirely cold either, as shown with his brotherly behaviour towards Trip, but as far as he was concerned, most of the bad and unjust in this world was none of his business.
Still, being confroted with such a situation, and being in the wrong, at least according to
Vertigo, somehow made him toss and furn around, not finding peace.

The next morning was all the more grimm to him. It being the weekend, it meant that he was doing a double shift, to hose in money.
After being screamed at by his boss, and bossed around by employees and customers alike, he was more then ready to kill someone with just a pizza box and a broomstick by the time it was his turn again to close down the shop. He was pre occupied with tydiyng up the shop when his attention drifted towards the people outside of the shop, examining the ATM across the street yet again. They had been there yesterday, and on and off again throughout the day. By now they actually seemed to be picking it apart. furrowing his brow, he thought sluggishly /hacked most likely...but messily, if they detected it/. The police was not enough to occupy his thoughts for long though, and only shortly after he made his way to the backdoor again, wondering faintly if the girl was back. and what to say or do if she was

(hope this is okay> maybe they can talk a bit more/get to know eachother slightly better and by the next meeting he could start to help them out?)

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/09/2015 10:44 PM

Khan had felt better that afternoon and had wanted to scope out the ATM machine to see just how serious the authorities were taking the situation. They had seen the cops crawling over it when they'd first headed out, so they'd gone to get their showers at a truck stop. One of the prostitutes there liked them and was willing to ply her trade to get them in complete with soap, shampoo, and towels.

When they were clean, they headed home. The cops weren't crawling over the ATM, but one was stationed across the street to keep an eye on things. They decided they'd best keep going and once around the corner where the cop couldn't see them, they ducked back into the alley where they could watch the ATM.

They discussed for a while what they should do, and it of course devolved into an argument that seemed endless. Finally, they agreed to drop it for now and discuss it later when they weren't irritable from hunger. Khan looked back down the alley where he could just see the sign of a pizza joint.

"Hey, Baggy, isn't that the pizza joint you got dinner from last night?"
"Yeah, and it looks like that delivery guy is there again." She said hesitantly.
"What's wrong?" Khan asked, picking up on her discomfort.
"I didn't tell you, but.." She sighed. "I'm assuming he's an employee because he said he has a boss. But he caught me raiding the dumpster and tried to stop me. Tried to catch me, actually."
Khan scowled at her. "Why didn't you say anything?"
"What good would it have done?" She hissed, unappreciative of his tone. Because you were sick and I didn't want you to worry. Is what she thought to herself as she watched him examining the place.
"Well, I don't know of a better place to look for food. What time do they close?"
She looked at the sky and the way the light was fading. Soon street lights would be coming on. "Another few hours, I'd say." She replied.
"Feel up to waiting with me? I think if one of us keeps an eye out, we can snag some more food without getting caught."
She shrugged and sat down, "Might as well. I just wish we could have gotten some money to just buy the pizza. And that the delivery guy from last night wasn't there."

As the afternoon wore on and the night got darker, the street lights came on and the cop finally left his post, leaving the neighborhood deserted. Too wary to try the ATM again, despite the lack of obvious surveillance, they stayed in the alley until the pizza joint closed. "Let's go." Khan motioned to her.

They got across the street without anyone seeing them (as far as they knew) and Khan took up sentry position at the corner of the dumpster. He made sure to stay out of sight of the cameras, but he was tensed listening for the sounds of approach. Baggy lifted herself up into the dumpster again and carefully rummaged about to find more food.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 12/11/2015 5:02 PM

Before opening the door, he had a short debate with himself on how to react should the kid be back.
He could chase her off again, or...well. help her out, if possible. But how? She would be incredibly suspicious of him now anyways, wouldnt she? He scratched the back of his head absent mindetly, before opening the back doo. Of course, Vertigo would offer her a bunch of things, most likely even a place to sleep. But alas,
he was more of the carefull varienty. For all he knew, this kid had a rough time, and was likely to steal whatever could help her, should the opportunity arise. let alone the question if she was above hurting someone. Now he could take her, but when he slept...
/okay....getting kind of paranoid again, arent we?/ he asked himself. /besides, she's most likely not there again anyways/

The door fell into the lock, and he swiftly rounded the corner, hoping tp not be confronted with her again.
Instead, he found himself face to face with a boy, who looked not much older then the girl he met the night before. He looked...well...not too well either, and he had the distinct feeling that he caught him aboit to do something...
without any introduction he groaned "Please dont tell me you're here for dumpster pizza too..."

(sorry, meh post)

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/11/2015 10:13 PM

Khan had been zoned out, tired from today's exertions. He jumped when he heard the door close and he was almost around the corner to grab Baggy when Oz rounded the dumpster. He quickly stood up, smacking the side of the dumpster with his foot as he moved. Too surprised and scared to respond, he stood staring at Oz, waiting for him to make the first move.

Inside the dumpster, Baggy froze when she heard Khan's foot hit the side of the giant green metal container. Shit! She thought to herself, silently wading to the back sliding panel. When she made sure Khan and whoever was out there weren't on this side of the dumpster, she jumped out and landed lightly on the ground. She didn't hear any talking, so she jumped in place making it sound like she was running up from the other side. "Eric!" She called before rounding the corner. She jumped out at Khan's side with a relieved expression when she saw him, careful not to look at the stranger in front of him. "There you-" She stopped mid-sentence as she realized it was the same guy from last night. She quickly grabbed Khan's shirt and pulled him back with her toward the alley. "You again!" She hissed, backing up.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 12/22/2015 2:25 AM

(finally,sorry)

Oz himself stepped back slightly when an other person aproached them, but only raised an eyebrow when
he realized it was the girl he already met the day before. "well if that's not a surprise" he he said drily, looking them both ip and down. Baggy seemed a little...cleaner then yesterday, and he could only assume the boy did too. The way she looked at him made him feel very unconfortable about last night.

Not yet ready to show too much compassion or admit to himself that he felt sorry for them, he cleared his throat slightly. "That's your partner I assume?" he nodded towards Kahn. Poor guy seemed to be even more nervous around him. But that was just how things where, right? There where people, unfortunally kids sometimes, who just...fell through the cracks of sosciety, and there was little he could do about it.
That was, pretty much, what he tried to tell himself. very hard. and it worked to some degree, he seemed a little more detached when he looked back at Baggy

"You guys really have to be desperate when you dumpster dive here, of all places" he said with a attemtepd smirk "honestly, why dont you hit one of these...homeless shelter places? it has  to be a better choice then this?" He knew that this was a ignorant thing to ask, but it was the only thing he could think about. Plus if it was his 'snobby' ignorance that drove them away and let his mind be at ease, thens so be it

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/22/2015 2:58 AM

Baggy rolled her eyes and kept her hand on Khan protectively. Khan scowled up at the man before them. "Maybe we can't." He growled, Baggy stepping on his foot to shut him up. "What do you care, anyway?" She asked, no longer backing up. She didn't know why they weren't running, he was likely to call the cops. But he wasn't grabbing at them or whining about how he was going to be hurt from them stealing trashed food.

Khan glowered at Baggy, nursing his injured foot. "You could just donate a pizza, you know. I'm sure someone called in a pie and then never came and picked it up. I've seen it happen." He said confidently, then broke out in a violent fit of coughing. Baggy's expression melted from anger and wariness to panicked concern. "KHAN!" She yelled as the boy sank to his knees. "Dammit, your fever's back." She almost whined, struggling to keep herself under control. She looked back to the alley, wondering how she was going to get him back to their hideout. Realizing she couldn't carry him that far, she looked up at Oz. Wariness and fear warred on her face, and she remained on the ground at his feet, holding Khan in her lap as the boy struggled to breathe.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next