Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Fall from Grace to His Proper Place [Self]

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/17/2017 12:23 AM

Baruch-Alexander Bartholomew VIII was furious, to say the least. At least he hid it well. He glided down the hall with practiced posture and a stony visage towards the large dining room in his father's mansion. He hated dinner parties, and he hated surprises. So, of course, his father decided to throw him a surprise birthday gala - dinner included.

He halted just outside of the (unnecessarily) large doors to the Great Hall - as his father called it - and took a deep breath. Baruch - or Barry, as he'd much rather be called - had just turned 18 the past week. It was great in the idea that he was now a legal adult, and could do what he pleased.

Except that he couldn't. He was the minister's son, so he had an image to uphold, and very large shoes to fill. So, exhaling loudly, and putting on his "winning smile", he pushed open the doors, and let the applause wash over him. He bowed deeply in order to avoid his father's disappointing glare at his tardiness.

Standing back up, he swept across the floor to join his father at the head of the large table, at his right side - where the eldest son and heir would normally sit. Twisting his grin into a sneer, he looked up at his father with contempt, but only for a split second. He then turned back to the audience and sat, which broke the silence, and let the feast commence. The sooner it's over, the better.

And is there a God up there? 'So,
where does he hide?
'Cause the devil is raging inside my
mind
And is there a moment where it all
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 170
Donate

Re: Fall from Grace to His Proper Place

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/17/2017 1:06 AM

The atmosphere around the long table was full of laughter and merriment. Food was passed around, and toasts were given in honor of Baruch's adulthood. He played along like he had been taught to, but drank little during these toasts. He would need his wits about him later into the night.

He was jolted from his thoughts by his father, who had pinched his son's thigh tightly to get his attention. "Your mother is trying to speak to you," he rumbled, annoyed at his son's insolent behavior. Barry rolled his eyes and stood, making his way over to his mother. She smiled at him as he leaned down to kiss her cheek in greeting. She moved to stand, and Barry held his hand out to her to help her rise.

She looked at him with pride as she took his hand and curtsied, before leading him down the long table. Another woman far down the table turned to look at the approaching pair, and her eyes widened in recognition. She turned and grabbed a younger woman sitting next to her, Her daughter, Barry presumed, as they both stood and curtsied.

"Baruch," his mother chided shortly as he simply stood there. He frowned internally, but bowed deeply in response. His mother curtsied once more, as well. "This is Lady Murberry, and her daughter Mary." He nodded slightly, bored already with the girl who stood stock still with perfect posture. "She is to be your betrothed."

At that, his heart stopped. "What?" He croaked.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/17/2017 1:24 AM

His mother continued on as if he hadn't even spoken. "The wedding will take place tomorrow evening, and she will move into the family home the day after your honeymoon." Baruch felt sick to his stomach. He stared at this girl, this Mary, who was supposed to be his bride. She barely looks 15! His mother's voice was but a buzz in the back of his mind as he contemplated his situation.

"I look forward to being with you, my Lord," Mary said quietly, snapping Barry from his crisis. After a moment of hesitation, he grabbed her hand.

"Dance with me?" He asked in a smooth baritone, throwing in a sly wink for emphasis. Mary's face flushed, and she nodded eagerly. Barry swept her away, looking back over his shoulder once to see the triumphant look on his mother's face. He shivered with discomfort.

Mary and Baruch reached the dance floor, and the band picked up a lively classical tune. Baruch lead Mary through the waltz perfectly, and he caught his father's watchful eye as they glided across the granite dance floor. Giving his father a sly wink, he twirled Mary before pulling her in close again. His father's eye twitched, while Mary laughed and blushed.

The song ended soon afterwards, and Barry bowed to his dance partner before returning her to her mother. "Until tomorrow, my bride." He brushed his lips over the back of her hand lightly before pulling away, heading back to his seat next to his father. He pointedly ignored the man as he sipped his wine.

It is going to be a long night.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/17/2017 1:36 AM

Much later into the evening, when he was sure nobody would notice - his father was drunk and cheerful, and his mother was off with other ladies - Barry slid outside onto the balcony. He sighed deeply as he dropped his head into his hands. Being the son of a minister in this city was awful.

He leaned back against the wall of his family's home, looking up at the stars. If only I could be as free and detached as thee, he thought to himself, chuckling at the formality of his rhyme scheme. He lurched up off the wall in favor of walking towards the balcony's edge, leaning against the wall to overlook the city below.

I want to be one of the normal people, he thought wistfully as he imagined the simplicity of their lives. He glared up at the moon in frustration, as if the bright hunk of rock could solve his problems. Then, suddenly, a falling star streaks across the night sky. Without hesitation, Barry closes his eyes and wishes harder than he had ever wished before.

Please, he implored. Please, let me escape from here. He would never be able to live the life he longed for while here, under his father's thumb. He wanted so badly to fix things, create beautiful things of metal and electricity. He wanted to be Barry. But here, as the son and heir of the Minister's chair, he was Baruch-Alexander Bartholomew VIII.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/17/2017 4:39 PM

While looking down at the city below, he failed to hear the balcony doors open behind him. He startled when he hear his name from next to him, causing his mother to sigh in exasperation.

"Baruch, what are you doing outside?" She frowned deeply at him as he refused to answer her. She turned to go back inside, gesturing for him to follow. "The guests are preparing to depart, and they wish to give you final regards before setting off." She stopped before opening the doors, turning back to look at him sternly. "Please do refrain from making a spectacle of us, Baruch." She pulled the door open, and he followed her reluctantly, keeping his eyes glued to the floor.

She lead him to his original seat, where he stood in front of the table, right next to his pleasingly drunk father. He grinned down at his son before grabbing his shoulder and addressing the line of guests before them. "My treasured guests," he bellowed cheerfully. "Baruch has returned, and is ready to receive your parting words!" Baruch smiled widely, mostly due to his father's drunken demeanor, but partly out of necessity to speak to his guests.

The first pair, a short, plump politician and his tall, quiet wife approached to shake his hand. He gripped first the man's, then the woman's hand tightly, giving them both his winning smile with a small, "Thank you for attending this evening's festivities," and, "We hope to see you again in the future." They positively beamed at him, and he barely repressed an annoyed eye roll as they strode towards the exit, guided by one of the many waiters of the mansion.

He repeated this many times, until he came upon his betrothed. He treated them with much greater familiarity, much to the pleasure of his mother. Kissing Mary's hand, he sent a wink up at her before embracing her mother, telling them the same words he told all of the other guests before they set off unto the night, this time guided by not only a waiter, but also his mother. He watched the go with a withering look before the next group came up to him, and he forced the smile back onto his face as he grabbed their hands.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/20/2017 10:50 PM

Vincent-Theodore Bartholomew loathed his brother's galas - which is why he was holed up in his room away from the evening's festivities. He was just preparing to write his latest novel when his door was flung open. Vincent slammed down the lid of his laptop and spun around, heart pounding in his chest, just in time to see his only nephew storm into the room. Barry flopped down face-first onto his uncle's bed with an irritated huff.

Vincent simply stared down at his nephew, stone-faced and not amused. "Well, hello to you too, nephew." With that, he whirled back around, sitting down once more at his desk and reopening his laptop. Baruch already knew his secret, so what was the point of hiding it just because the child was there in a tizzy? Besides, his nephew would talk when he was ready.

A loud, over-dramatic sigh came from the irritated lump curled up on the front of his bed - one which he refused to acknowledge as he continued to type. Another, louder sigh caused his eye to twitch, but he still said nothing. It seemed as if the child had given up until Vincent felt a hand gently lay itself on his shoulder. "Uncle Vince?"

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/21/2017 1:05 AM

The middle-aged man turned his eyes up to his nephew, who looked down at him with a tired expression, one that seemed far beyond his age. Vincent put his hand over his nephew's and stood, quietly closing his laptop. He led Baruch to the bed, and both men sat side-by-side, turned slightly towards one another. Vincent raised his eyebrows, urging him to begin to speak.

Barry cleared his throat slightly, meeting his uncle's eyes for a split second before dropping his gaze off to the side once more. "Uncle Vince," he tried again, just as soft as before. "Are you... happy... here?" Baruch's hesitant question was met with a surprised look from Vincent. After a moment of silence, the older man inhaled deeply.

"Baruch, why do you ask me this?" Vince could feel a headache coming on, as if he already knew that this was going nowhere good. He dropped his head into one of his hands, rubbing his eyes.

"I hate it here." The young man whispered his confession as if the walls could hear him speak, making Vince raise his head in shock to stare at his nephew. "I hate it here, and I think you do, too." With that, Barry's gaze shot up to his uncle's, a fire in his eyes unlike any he'd seen in his nephew before. "I want to escape from here," his breath quickening with excitement. Barry dropped to his knees in front of his uncle, desperation leaking from his posture. "Please, uncle, help me, come with me to somewhere far away from here!"

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/21/2017 6:56 PM

Vincent looked down at his nephew. He didn't need to think about his decision, because he had been thinking about this for a long time, ever since... He shook himself out of that line of thinking. Baruch needs me right now. The older man stood, bringing Baruch to his feet, as well.

"Are you completely sure of this?" Vincent looked deep into his nephew's eyes, silently imploring him to listen carefully. "You understand that once you leave here, once we leave here, there is no coming back." Barry's face lit up. His uncle was coming with him! I know this is the best thing for the both of us. The young man reached forward and hugged his uncle tightly.

"When do we leave, uncle?" Vincent wrapped one arm around his nephew to keep him close while he gripped Baruch's shoulder with the other, pushing him back so they could look at each other.

With a deep breath, Vincent made the decision and informed his nephew. "Tonight." Barry's eyes widened for a moment before a large grin spread out across his face.

"I shall leave to pack, at once!" With one last hug, Barry turned and set a quick pace towards his room. Vincent watched him leave before shutting the doors behind him. The older man quickly turned back to his bed and pulled up a simple rucksack and a carry-on bag, already packed except for his laptop. The man slid it neatly into the carry-on bag, then reached under his pillow to grab a large tube sock.

Vince stared down at the sock in his hands for a moment. A vision of his late wife's face passed his eyes, and he squeezed his hands around the money tightly. Laura, I hope that what I am doing is right. With that last thought, he tossed the sock full of money into his rucksack and grabbed both bags, stealthily making his way to his nephew's chambers.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/21/2017 11:46 PM

The second that Barry had made it back to his room, he threw off his fancy suit jacket, letting it crumple on the floor. I'm getting out of here... He could barely believe the thought, even as he grinned widely because of it. He quickly shook his head as if clearing his mind. Not if I don't get a move on I'm not!

With that, he tossed a beat-up old suitcase up onto the bed and flung it open. What kind of things do I take with me? As confident as Barry was that he wanted a simple life, he sure didn't know what it entailed. Luckily, it was at that moment that his uncle slipped through the door silently. Vincent sat his bags down and turned to his nephew, raising an eyebrow.

"Making a lot of progress, I see, nephew." The younger man groaned as Vincent chuckled, stepping up to Barry's dresser. "Here, I will handle the clothes, while you handle any personal belongings and hygiene objects." Without waiting for a response, the older man began tossing clothes left and right.

Barry merely shrugged before going into the adjacent bathroom. He returned a few seconds later with a toothbrush in one hand, and a comb in the other, setting them down next to the suitcase before going to his desk. He glanced over various objects and decorations, considering each of their intrinsic value. As he was about to turn away, he caught a picture frame out of the corner of his eye.

He looked over his shoulder to his uncle, but the man was still pulling clothes out and tossing them every which way. Barry turned back to the picture, slowly reaching down to pick it up and lift it to look at it properly. The photograph had been taken awhile ago, it seemed. Especially since the man looked exactly like his uncle, but younger, and... smiling. He had his arm wrapped around a very pretty woman, and they were both in "commoner" clothing. And right in between them was a much younger Barry, grinning up at the two adults.

His eyes widened as distant memories came flooding back. Aunt Laura?

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/22/2017 12:10 AM

"Almost done reminiscing, nephew?" The young man jumped as his uncle leaned over his shoulder. Vincent was smiling sadly, and he reached forward, gently taking the photo from his nephew's hands. "Do you remember this woman at all, Barry?" Barry looked at his uncle in surprise. He never called him by his preferred nickname. Vincent, oblivious to the other man's surprise, stepped backwards and sat down on the bed next the already packed suitcase.

Barry stepped forward to join his uncle. "Is she... Is she Aunt Laura?" Vince smiled up at his nephew, tears shining in his eyes. "I remember a bit about her..." He sat down next to his uncle, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Can you tell me more about her?" Vince sniffed, and looked back down at the photo.

"You and I both loved her dearly, Barry." He ran a finger down the frame of the photograph. "And she loved us, too." He reached up and covered his nephew's hand with one of his own. As Vincent was preparing to speak once more, the clock tower in the city began chiming. His eyes widened, and he set the photograph in between layers of clothing, along with the toothbrush and comb.

"Uncle, what is it?" Barry shot up, grabbing his coat and hat as his uncle did the same, hauling his bags up into his arms.

"The last train will be departing soon!" Vincent grabbed his nephew's wrist and began running down the hallway, forgetting any semblance of stealth. While they ran, Vince looked over his shoulder. "Remind me to explain everything later!" The two reached the grand staircase. Almost there! Vincent hit the floor running, and he shoved open the doors of the mansion. Baruch was not far behind, and the two men took off into the night, the bells thundering above them.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Fall from Grace to His Proper Place [Self]

Postby FieldsofIris » 01/25/2017 12:37 AM

"I'm... too old... for this... nonsense!" Vincent was panting as he collapsed onto one of the seats in their room on the train. To his left, Barry lowered himself gracefully into a seat, hardly looking like he had made a mad dash to catch the train, much to the older man's chagrin. Barry grinned down at his uncle, amused at his grouchiness.

"Come now, uncle," the younger man snarked, his grin widening as the older man turned to glare at him. "You aren't even thirty yet!" Vince threw a rude gesture at him, causing the young man to burst into laughter. It was grand, not having to act like the haughty aristocrat he was raised to be! He returned the gesture to his uncle, without any heat as he struggled to contain his laughter.

"I am on the cusp of thirty!" The older man protested, but his lips twitched upward, betraying his amusement. "Mind yourself, nephew," he jeered back. "I am still your elder." Barry merely stuck his tongue out, and Vince rolled his eyes in faux exasperation. "My point exactly." The younger man laughed again, and Vince smiled softly. "You're just like her."

Barry's laughter trailed off into soft huffs of amusement as he looked at his uncle in question. The older man opened his mouth to answer, but was cut off as the train began to crawl forward. Barry's attention was directed to the window in wonder, watching the platform slowly pass them by. As the train pulled completely out of the station, Vince watched his nephew's face light up like a child's.

I'll explain everything once we get there, the older man decided, expression softening. The younger man turned to look at him, excitement taking years off his eyes. Vince immediately schooled his features, scoffing at his nephew. Barry rolled his eyes and gently nudged his uncle with an elbow before once again turning to look out the window.

The constant sounds of the train wrapped around the two men in a comforting blanket as they rode off into the night.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 02/01/2017 11:15 PM

Vince's eyes cracked open, lids fluttering as he attempted to adjust to the light of the warm summer sunset. The breeze brushed through his hair, tickling his cheeks with its gentle caress. The laughter of the neighborhood children was a familiar tune to his ears, and he found himself smiling in response.

He felt younger,
lighter, as if the weight of the world was gone from his shoulders. He looked around at the oh-so familiar landscape and inhaled deeply, taking in the warm feeling of home... Home. The man turned and looked at their beautiful little home, rushing to the entrance in excitement.

"Laura!" Vincent stepped into their home, grinning widely. "I'm home!" He barely took the time to close the door behind him as he heard his wife respond.

"I'm in the kitchen," she called warmly. "You best come give me a kiss, Mr. Bartholomew!" The familiar, teasing lilt to her voice made his heart skip a beat as he rushed to see her. He stepped into their kitchen to see her waiting for him, eyes sparkling. She smiled adoringly up at him as he came to her.

"As you wish, Mrs. Bartholomew," he responded with barely concealed mirth, wrapping his arms around his wife's waist. The young woman laughed at her husband's playfulness, eyes crinkling and dimples adorning her cheeks. Vincent had never seen anything more beautiful. He leaned down and pressed a gentle, sweet kiss to her lips, their smiles pressing together in a loving caress.

After a moment, Laura pulled back and looked up at her husband with the same warm expression. "Vince," she called. He looked down at her, tilting his head in inquiry. "Vince!" She called out again, fainter this time, as his body seemed to pull away from hers. Why was she fading away? Come back!

"Vince!"

"-cle Vince!"

Vincent awoke with a start.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 02/03/2017 1:15 PM

The younger man had been staring at the colorful sky for awhile, now, stunned by its beauty. The sunrise... Barry had slept fitfully the night before, worried that he would be recognized by other passengers. He had awoken before dawn for the umpteenth time, and had given up hope for sleeping, content to simply stare out the window once more.

At some point, a few spread out farm houses began to dot the landscape. Barry could spot the farmers out in their fields, working and had been working for awhile now. He wanted that. The simplicity, this genuine type of lifestyle... It was everything he wanted and nothing he had ever had. From the moment Barry was born, all his father wanted to do was shape and mold his son into another political puppet.

Barry grimaced at the thought. Luckily, it was soon discarded in favor of his shock at the sudden appearance of more homes. We must be close! The young man turned to his uncle, who was still sprawled across the seat.

"Uncle Vince," Barry whispered, poking said man's cheek. He hardly stirred, huffing before settling once more. "Uncle Vince!" The older man had no intention of moving, it seemed. Barry looked up and saw other passengers beginning to stir, preparing to leave the gradually slowing train. A man in a uniform was walking down the aisle, collecting something from each passenger.

Panicking, he turned back to Vincent. I don't know what I'm supposed to do! In a moment of desperation, Barry shook his uncle's shoulder violently, raising his voice above the sound of the train halting. "Uncle Vince!" The man startled awake and shot up out of his seat. Barry wasted no time and immediately stood next to his uncle, quickly and quietly explaining the situation. "Uncle Vince, a man from the train is coming down the aisle, what do we do?"

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 03/22/2017 7:11 PM

It only took a moment for the elder Bartholomew to realize his surroundings, and he jerked into action as he noticed Barry's panicked expression. Using one hand to pull his nephew into his chest, he used the other to whip out their clipped tickets and turned slightly to shield the younger man from the incoming worker.

"Good morning, sir," Vincent practically purred as the uniformed man approached. He felt his nephew stiffen under his hand, but ignored it in favor of smirking up at the man from his seat. "I apologize for not standing to greet you, but my son has had a long night, and I wish to wait as long as possible to wake him." Barry relaxed into his uncle's hold as the lies tumbled out smoothly, thankful for the older man's guidance.

The train worker merely harrumphed grouchily and held out his callused hand. His metal name tag jingled with the movement, bringing attention to the name etched into it: Gregory. "Tickets," he growled.

"Of course, of course," Vincent continued smoothly, the man's gruffness seeming to have no effect on him as he held out the tickets with his free hand. "Vicky T. Barrett and Billy A. Barrett, sir." At that, Greg froze and stared back down at the other man, wide-eyed.

"You mean the famous author, sir?" The train worker's voice had smoothed out slightly, attempting to speak in a kinder tone.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 03/26/2017 9:30 PM

Vincent cringed internally at the recognition, silently damning himself for using his semi-famous pen name. Outwardly, however, he adopted a sheepish grin and brought a finger up to his lips. "The one and only, my good man," he answered quietly, before reaching into his satchel and searching for something. "But let's keep that quiet, shall we?" Vince hummed triumphantly as he pulled out a copy of his latest novel.

Greg's eyes widened even further as the other man continued to speak. "Tell ya what, Gregory, I'll make you a deal." Vince winked up at the other man before opening the novel to its title page. Pulling out a pen, he looked down as he spoke once more. "If you keep my passage through here a secret, I'll give you an officially signed copy of my newest novel."

Vincent looked back up as he closed the book, grinning as Greg began nodding his head vigorously. "Sure thing, Mr. Barrett, sir, no need to worry about me, no sir!" Barry began snickering at the reverence Greg was showing for his uncle, but the younger man played it off as tired snuffling as he fake-stirred against his uncle.

"Ah, Billy, good timing!" Vince smiled and released his hold on his nephew as he began gathering their bags. "Yes, we've arrived, now grab your things." The man stood and turned back to Greg once more. Smiling, he held out the signed copy of the novel, and, after taking the tickets from the other man's loose grip, winked once more. "Thanks again, Gregory. Take care, now!" With that, Vincent looped his arm through Barry's, guiding him past the dazed fan and out onto the train station platform.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items