Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Re: [*] Gods and Gods and Gods

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 10:49 PM

Sivain, at a loss as to what he wished to do next, obliged Rhodes without complaint. The building had two floors, seemingly both devoted to a shop; the door on the front read, 'Remy's Costume Rental'. Sivain raised a brow at Rhodes in a wordless query.

"I have noticed that we are... not blending in," said Rhodes, pausing as if trying to phrase his words with tact. Sivain snorted; he needn't have bothered. They both knew how badly they stood out.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 10:52 PM

"Yes," said Sivain. When he said nothing more, Rhodes went on.

"I thought a costume would help us look more at one with the festive spirit," he said. This time he really was stretching things somewhat. Sivain turned his gaze toward the window displays, where there was a festival-appropriate plethora of things on display.

Indicating one particularly provocative angel costume, Sivain said, "Somehow I doubt your logic." He felt that dressing himself up would only serve to make him look more bizarre, rather than less.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 10:54 PM

Rhodes squinted at the costume Sivain had indicated. "I didn't mean that one specifically, no. But if it is to your tastes, then I won't---"

"No," said Sivain firmly. He wasn't sure if Rhodes was joking, but the angel costume was very clearly made for a woman, with a smaller waist and more... endowments than Sivain had. "No, but my point still stands: they look ridiculous, Rhodes."

The cat tutted, or something very like; he might have been laughing after all.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 10:56 PM

"Let's take a look inside, at any rate. It isn't as if we have anything better to do." This point, at least, Sivain could concede, and it wasn't as if they hadn't done a great deal of perusing so far. The festival games had no appeal for them, either by virtue of being too easy or too inane; and neither of them were as of yet very hungry.

The inside of the shop smelled... strange, in a way Sivain couldn't place. There was the scent of fabric, but of chemicals too.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 10:58 PM

It was also cooler than it had been outside. Sivain looked around, but there was no shopkeeper that they could see. It was possible that they were on the first floor, but he couldn't hear anything either. Was it possible that the shop was unmanned? He resisted the urge to duck out again to check; the front had said 'open', but...

"Ah, over there," said Rhodes, pointing out another display, and the rack beside it. "This was more like what I had in mind."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:01 PM

The rack and displays were overwhelmingly populated by black items. Everything from cloaks and pants to pauldrons and gauntlets were available. The wall was devoted to masks and helms, all bearing horns. Some had gold accents, but most did not.

"The Chaos," Sivain said.

"You already favor dark colors," said Rhodes. "And this way I daresay you will not have to expose any more skin than you like." There had been a few interpretations of the Chaos concept that had bared their wearers' bodies, but for the most part Chaos costumes tended to involve more clothing rather than less.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:03 PM

Still, Sivain hesitated. It wasn't that he didn't trust Rhodes' judgement--- the cat would never let him hear the end of it if he did--- but he didn't know if this would work. His problem, as far as he could tell, was that he appeared too imposing. Looking at all the spikes and horns which adorned the Chaos costume displays, he had to wonder if this would help. He felt as if it was more likely to make things worse instead, and then he would have paid for the pleasure of scaring more people.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:05 PM

Rhodes eyed him curiously. "Is something the matter? I had thought you would find this more comfortable, but we can look at the angel costumes again, if you would like."

Sivain entertained the idea for a moment. That moment lasted as long as it took him to actually glance in the direction of the angel display. There was nothing there for him; everything was flowing, robelike; most of it was for women; and very little of it looked as if he would be comfortable wearing it out in public.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:08 PM

"No," he said, more firmly this time. The cat huffed again; Sivain was increasingly convinced that Rhodes was laughing at him. He closed his eyes and sighed, steeling himself before returning to the topic at hand. "I just... wonder whether this would really help. The pieces do seem rather..." What was the word he was looking for? "... Grim?"

"Ah," said Rhodes, apparently unperturbed by his objection, nor even surprised by it, as far as Sivain could tell. "If this were any other circumstance, I would agree."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:10 PM

"Fortunately for us, however, the festival features a monster as part of its premise. In cases like these, no one will pay it any mind if your costume is frightening, so long as it aligns with the theme." He licked a paw, flicking his ears, the picture of smug contentment. "It is with the same audacity that I myself may wander about with comfort on Hallow's Eve." Rhodes didn't care much for Halloween, but he did wander out when it came around from time to time.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:14 PM

Not for the first time, Sivain wondered at what it was Rhodes actually did on those days, but it didn't seem the right time or the right place to ask. The cat concluded his point: "Your intimidation thereby becomes intentional, and acceptable. Admirable, even. And," he pointed out with a slightly less pleased tone, "I don't see any better options presenting themselves, so I say we give it a try."

"You keep saying 'we', as if I'm not the only one who will have to wear it," said Sivain.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:17 PM

"Yes, well." Rhodes swished his tails gently. "It's no fault of mine that cats are exempt from this foolishness." He looked a bit too pleased with himself for that. Sivain sighed again, and began to peruse the display with a bit more... Interest was maybe too strong a word for this. Seriousness, perhaps. He really was going to have to wear it, so he might as well put some thought into choosing things, lest Rhodes decide he needed assistance. After the past few jokes, he wasn't sure he trusted Rhodes to dress him for the occasion.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:18 PM

Seeing that he was becoming more serious about picking things out, the cat left him be, jumping from his shoulder onto the ground. Sivain registered his absence as he left, but didn't see where Rhodes had wandered off to. The cat's steps were perfectly quiet, and he had always resisted the kind of accessory that would compromise that--- the idea of a bell collar had been proposed once, by Suvi, and immediately shot down with as much vehemence as Rhodes could manage without visibly upsetting her, or appearing rude.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:22 PM

Whatever it was, Sivain was sure he would come back when it suited him. He just hoped Rhodes wouldn't wait so long that something inconvenient had the time to happen to Sivain in the meantime. Social mores was more Rhodes' wheelhouse than his own, by a very large margin.

He suddenly felt more self-conscious than ever. He was doing nothing illegal, of course. The shop's sign had said open; he wasn't stealing, merely perusing. And yet, if the shopkeeper wandered in...
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/04/2017 11:24 PM

He shook his head, trying to clear away such thoughts. If the problem arose... he would cross that bridge when he came to it. And perhaps by then Rhodes will have returned anyway.

The headpiece seemed like the most logical item to choose first, so he spent some time inspecting those. It would inform the rest of the costume, and Sivain thought it would be an important consideration to decide how much of his own face he wanted to show.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext