Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Re: [] Wrong Turn {P}

Postby Mojave » 06/04/2017 8:16 PM

Tina watched as he drank, ready to grab the cup if he dropped it. So long as he had the cup, he could get a refill for cheap, but if the cup was ruined then he'd have to buy a whole new one and she wanted to try and save him that money.

As they waited in line, she was content to let a companionable silence settle over them, but she heard him muttering and turned to him. "What? I'm sorry, I was spaced out, what did you say?" She smiled sheepishly, thinking he had been talking to her, and that he would think her rude for not listening.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/04/2017 8:30 PM

"Oh! I wasn't talking to you, I was, uh..." There was no good way of explaining himself without sounding rude to someone, so he aimed for the one that wasn't rude to her specifically. "I was sort of listening to the people behind us and I answered automatically. Though I don't think they heard." He didn't want to risk a glance back to check, in case they had heard him but didn't realize it was him speaking, and because drawing their attention seemed like it might lead to a whole lot of awkwardness anyway. Multiple conversations at once were much harder to manage now.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Mojave » 06/04/2017 9:26 PM

She blinked, unsure how to respond. While she thought it rude to listen to other people's conversations on purpose, some words just caught others' attention and then the more you tried not to listen, the more you heard. She didn't want to accuse him of being nosy, and she also didn't want to involve anyone else around them. "Ah." She dropped her gaze, wondering how to proceed. She couldn't help but wonder if maybe accompanying him was a mistake.

Between his getting lost, his hesitation to provide his name, the strange little tics he'd displayed (like getting distracted and almost following other people) and now the talking to himself all pointed at some kind of mental instability. While she wasn't afraid of mental illness itself, she was a small person and if he proved to be a serial killer or rapist or something, it would be difficult to fight him off in her current form. For once, she was grateful she as such a large creature in her true form, and with the reminder that she could defend herself, she relaxed again. "Why were you listening to them?" She asked, trying to sound curious.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/05/2017 12:21 PM

"I didn't mean to," he said, though he realized that probably raised more questions than it answered. He was going to have to navigate this carefully. Any lie would be more believable than even a partial explanation, or so he assumed, but he couldn't even begin to think of one.

What he said was, "I'm used to...being a part of a lot of conversations at once. It's been hard to break the habit." And he had no way of knowing, but he had a suspicion his hearing was unusually good, because he seemed to be able to pick out the details of things overheard that others missed, which only drew him in more. Or it might just have been a matter of attention. He had no way of knowing that, either. In any case, hopefully his answer was enough to satisfy whatever had led her to ask the question.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Previous