Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

[*] Wrong Turn {P}

Postby Indigo » 06/01/2017 5:21 PM

[Pet Unlocked]

Liron was only a little familiar with the story. People talked about a lot of things on the phone, but detailed retellings of stories about the gods were not usually among them; if the information was somewhere in him then he couldn't reach it, given his current trouble with filtering things. But that was all right. He didn't need to know everything about the festival to enjoy it, and he could always try some reading later, see if a story was more manageable than the reference materials he'd tried before.

He'd come in with a very particular plan: have a walk around the festival, try some of the food, maybe talk to a few people, and try to at least lay eyes on everything exciting before tracking down that costume contest and having a look. It was a pretty good plan, as such things went, and he'd even thought to borrow some money from Amp for the eating part of things—she'd told him he didn't have to pay it back and he believed her, but remembering it still felt necessary at least—and it went very well for about the first ten minutes.

After that he caught a trace of a conversation someone was having as they passed him, and without even thinking about it he'd latched on and followed, taking in the words in a way that felt familiar and wrong at once: he didn't really hear them, only understood their meaning, which he forgot as soon as he stopped listening. Eventually he'd snapped out of it, distracted from his distraction by someone in a stunningly elaborate outfit, and now he was...somewhere, and didn't know how he'd gotten here.

He hadn't left the festival, at least, so he wasn't hopelessly lost, but he was still lost enough to be concerned about it.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: [] Wrong Turn {P}

Postby Mojave » 06/02/2017 1:51 PM

Tina

Somewhere amid the celebratory chaos, a petite woman was in charge of a face painting stand. She waved goodbye to a pair of twins who were sporting bunnies on their cheeks so that if they stood together, it looked like the rabbits were giving each other a high-five. Still smiling, she turned her attention back to the crowd around her, searching for her next customer.

She noticed an interesting looking fellow, and approached him. Perhaps she was imagining it, but she thought he looked a little lost. "Hi there! How are you enjoying the festival?" She stopped before him, arms behind her back and a bright smile upon her face.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/03/2017 12:01 PM

Probably the best thing to do would be to find someone who looked on top of things, and speak to them, a strategy which...well, it had gotten him into trouble as often as it had worked for him, really, but in this case it was the only idea he had. He scanned the crowd. Perhaps he'd find someone who worked for the festival, or something; he wasn't really sure how it was all organized.

He jumped at being spoken to. Of course he knew all that shimmery fur would draw attention, but he still wasn't used to being visible. It took him a moment to remember how speech worked. "Yes, it's...good. Are you...hmm, how to...are you one of the people in charge of things? Not everything, I mean, you probably wouldn't be out here then, but some sort of festival thing." Well. At least it wasn't his worst attempt at coherent conversation in recent memory.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 06/03/2017 8:36 PM

"Well, I'm running a face painting stand." She answered, tilting her head to the side a little in curiosity. "I"m Tina, would you like to have something put on?" She wasn't sure why he was asking for someone in charge- he didn't look like he was in trouble or anything. But people didn't ask for authority figures without reason, so she hoped it wasn't anything serious. "Or did you need help with something?" She glanced over her shoulder briefly before turning back to him. "I don't have anyone at the stand right now, so if you need something I'd be happy to help you."
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/04/2017 12:37 AM

He considered for a moment the likely effect of face paint on fur, and shook his head, though it took him long enough to do so that it was unclear what exactly he was reacting to. "I'm a little lost. I was looking for..." Well, he wasn't actually sure what he'd been looking for. The dragon costume thing, eventually, but it seemed a bit early for that. "...something exciting. I haven't been to one of these before, or really to anything—" He cut himself off abruptly. What was that Amp had said about no filter?

"Well," he said, after a just-too-long pause, "if you are running part of the festivities, maybe you know where other things worth seeing are? That would make sense. That is, I'm sure your face painting is worthwhile, it's just not what I'm after."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 06/04/2017 1:50 AM

She listened without interrupting or any apparent judgement. It seemed safe to assume she wasn't offended by his reluctance to have paint put on him. While most anybody else would have thought it odd that a grown Tali would get lost, Tina didn't seem to think along those lines. "Hm." She moved her hands from behind her back to cross them over her sternum, one hand tapping at her chin in thought. "Well, I don't have to keep my stand open. I'm not making any money doing it anyway." She glanced at him, "Would you like to take a look around together? I've never attended this festival before either."
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/04/2017 10:48 AM

"Oh! I hadn't—" Filter. "That would be nice. You know...maybe it wasn't the best idea to come alone in the first place, these things are probably better with other people." But it hadn't even occurred to him, because among the many things he still hadn't quite gotten used to was the ability to be alone in the first place. And anyway Amp would probably have laughed at him if he asked, and he couldn't think of anyone else, now that he did think about it.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 06/04/2017 5:32 PM

Tina smiled as he accepted her offer. "Alright then! Let me just close up shop real quick!" She sauntered to her stand, really just a folding table and chairs under a huge umbrella, and began to toss the paints and stencils back into a case. It only took her a few moments, and she left the entire ensemble with a neighboring vendor before she returned to his side. "So, what's your name? And also, are you hungry? The food court isn't far, and we can walk around while we snack." She normally wasn't one for rapidfire questions, but she did need to know his name if they were going to walk around together.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/04/2017 5:45 PM

"Oh! My name..." There were a lot of names in his head, and it took him an inordinately long time to remember the one he'd decided to use. "...my name's Liron. I don't know if I'm hungry, but I did come here for the food, along with other things, so we might as well, and I'll figure it out when we get there." He hoped that didn't sound too strange; he'd heard other people say they didn't always notice they were hungry and this was basically the same thing, right? "You...no, you told me your name already. Are you sure you don't mind closing your stand? It looked like it was probably fun."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 06/04/2017 6:31 PM

"Liron, it's nice to meet you! And yep, it was fun, but walking around with someone seems more fun." She reassured him before she skipped a few paces from him, turning back to wait until they were level again. "I saw someone with this really fancy looking funnel cake looking thing but it smelled like waffles and chicken, have you seen anything you want to try?" She didn't seem put out by anything he'd said, not even the time he'd taken to provide his name. Tina wasn't one to speculate why people did what they did to begin with, but he also seemed somewhat shy so she simply assumed he had taken a moment to gather his courage.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/04/2017 6:39 PM

Liron followed her at a somewhat irregular pace, sometimes pausing unthinkingly as he picked up snatches of conversation, remembering what he was doing when she spoke to him. Her question proved somewhat difficult to answer. Visual recognition of food was still something of a problem for him—he knew the names of, well, most foods, though given the sheer amount of information there was it could take him a while to dredge up the right one, but he'd actually seen a pretty small proportion of those, and it was hard to make the connection. As for smell, well, there were so many smells.

"I'm not sure," was what he settled on, because it could mean any number of things. "Why don't we look for that, ah...funnel cake you mentioned?" It was difficult, also, to keep track of which conversation was the one he was actually having. Sooner or later that was going to trip him up.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 06/04/2017 7:09 PM

She noticed how distracted he was, and paired with his earlier behaviors, Tina started to wonder if something was wrong. She nodded when he agreed to find the funnel cake, wondering how to ask him if he was okay.

It didn't take long to find the food stand selling the unusual funnel cake. It was in fact a funnel cake made out of waffle batter put over a piece of chicken and drizzled with syrup and a light dusting of powdered sugar. The line for this oddity was rather long, but it seemed the people running the stand had a good system down to get the orders out quickly. However, the day was starting to heat up so she stopped at a lemonade stand first so they'd have something to drink while they waited for their food. "This place does half price refills and it's made fresh when you order." She explained, indicating the people inside who were placing fresh lemons into juicers and mixing the drinks as it was ordered.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/04/2017 7:29 PM

"Ah, that's...good," he said, watching the drinks being prepared. At least he assumed it was good based on the way she'd said it; he'd tried lemonade before but had no idea if it had been fresh or not. He shuffled his keystones around in their pouch; he was not actually sure how many he had, or what their value was. Amp had tried to explain money to him but had gotten frustrated partway through and given up. She seemed to have given him quite a lot, though.

Ordering was more difficult than he'd anticipated, mainly because he had no idea what to say when asked about the size of the drink, but he could handle a strange look or two or he wouldn't be out in public to begin with. It seemed possible that the funnel cake-waffle-chicken arrangement would be a little harder to handle given that he wasn't sure what to call it, but he could probably just follow Tina's lead.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 06/04/2017 7:47 PM

Tina grabbed a cup holder for them since she doubted Liron would have an easy time holding the cup and walking. "So here's a weird question. Can you drink from a straw, or should I take the cap off and hold the cup for you?" She'd heard of some creatures who could use their paws as rudimentary hands but wasn't sure how Liron handled such things.

Armed with drinks against the heat, she led them to the line for the food, glad to see there had a been decent movement with the line. She had found a couple of people toward the back of the line earlier she would recognize, and in the brief time they had been at the lemonade stand, they were almost where they could place their orders.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/04/2017 7:59 PM

"I'm not sure." He had managed to hold things occasionally, so it seemed worth a shot. "I'll try the straw." Once they'd made it to the food line he made an attempt, sitting back and holding the cup between his front paws, and this worked reasonably well up until the line moved. He tried shifting it to one paw to walk and tripped over himself almost immediately trying to figure out how to position his legs; a quick movement of his wings kept him from falling but didn't prevent some of the lemonade from sloshing out of the lid's opening and onto the ground. After some thought, he returned it to the cupholder. He was not entirely certain how the lemonade compared to his previous lemonade experiences. Memory was difficult in a crowd.

The line's speed was heartening, but he still managed to lose focus, turning his attention to two people behind them talking about a predicament involving someone else they knew, who presumably wasn't with them. He became so absorbed in it that he caught himself muttering an agreement to something one of them said, though fortunately they didn't seem to hear him.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next