Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

[*] Fireworks Did It, Officer! {Self|M:L,V?}

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 4:31 PM

[Pet Unlocked]

(( Captain, humanoid form(s?) ))

Life was bursting in the holy city of Aldrect. Its pearlescent, marbled buildings were strung with ribbons and lights, and the roads packed with celebrants. From the perspective of one four-foot teen, however? Aldrect was currently packed with loud, obnoxious opportunity. And it also reeked of profit.

Ah--and the sickeningly sweet aroma of funnel cacke given they were holding a plate of some. But profit and funnel cake don't really share a smell. Nor taste for a matter, if anyone was wondering. No? Alright.

Captain shovelled the rest of the funnel cake into their yapper, licking the excess powdered sugar away then wiping their face dry on a sleeve. Now, where was their target...? They peered from behind locks of stark-white, meandering about the festival's streets. That one? No, wrong kind of windows. How about that one? EH, wrongo, the shop didn't have the right name. What about this one?

The halfling shapeshifter tilted their head, then grinned in satisfaction. As they approached the spell components shop titled "Arcane Accessory Assortment", their form changed into that of a plain looking young man.

Show time.
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Re: [] Fireworks Did It, Officer! {Self|M:L,V?}

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 4:54 PM

(( Noah, humanoid ))

Noah trudged inside the shop, nose dove into the hefty scarf around his shoulders. Despite it being in the middle of spring, sunny, and the entire city crowded with people, he still was never warm enough. Satchels of various spell components were plucked up as he stalked the aisles with a tired sigh. While he had no complaints about having a job that paid (well actually, he had plenty, including the upcoming one), he felt like his mentor didn't do anything. Not even actually cast the spells he was sent out to buy materials for. Noah, do this! Noah, do that!

While he amused himself with mocking the elderly warlock's words under his breath, Noah paid little attention to the other man that had just entered the shop.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 5:46 PM

With a glance to the clerk's desk, it seemed an enchanted figure had been left in charge of working the register. Typical wizard-y bullshit. There was another person in the shop, though. And goodness wowsies to Betsy, did this loser here look blue. Not in the literal sense, though. In fact, most everything about the guy was brown: brown jacket, brown hair, eyes, brown scarf with green stripes. Or was it a green scarf with brown stripes? Either way, brown was involved and it looked terrible. Captain almost felt compelled to leave the miserable sop alone to be taken out by what they planned to do.

But they weren't getting paid to murder, they were getting paid to cause an accident in the shop of his employer's rival. Plus, if someone died during the festival? It could halt the celebration! And who would be giving out funnel cakes then? They'd have to save the depressed walking paper bag.

It would have to wait, though. If the stranger was still there once they had placed all the fireworks, then they'd have to play the heroism card. Moseying out of sight behind a shelf, Captain shrunk into a small lizard. With a lizard-sized satchel on its back. They crept from one aisle to the next, placing down fireworks that each regrew to their proper size once no longer touching the shapeshifter.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 6:01 PM

Wait, had someone come in? Noah glanced up and about, refusing to lift his head. Well, if there was somebody else there, they were either really quiet, or had seen how terrible quality the products were and fled while they still could. Good for them. He couldn't fathom why his mentor insisted he come to this hellhole of a boutique. The service--whether it was in the flesh or the construct currently in charge--was always awful, the owner was a snob, and the shit they sold wasn't even good. It was the grade E meat of magic components.

It was his running theory that the better quality components were kept tucked away in the back. Noah's eyes flicked to the doorway behind the clerk desk. Glanced to the enchanted figure. Door. Figure. Door. Figure. By now, he probably looked stupendously suspicious. He considered just dropping his gathered things and bolting out of the shop entirely.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 6:11 PM

By the time Captain had finished hiding the fireworks, there was a trail of them outside the shop and leading through the front room and then even into the back one. They may or may not have shifted long enough to pilfer some expensive looking components and other shiny doohickies. They didn't have a lick of a fuck how most of this stuff worked. Just that people would pay with their own limbs some times for it. And who were they to refuse the desperate sods their desires?

Shrinking back into a lizard, Cap skedaddled out of the back room and dove behind another shelf out of Sir Mopesalot's line of vision. Damn, did that guy move slowly. Captain shook their head before shifting into their legitimate appearance; wild white hair, four foot jack-shit, pointy ears, and simple but light-hued clothing.

"Whatchyer got there?" they called, loping an arm around the stranger's... back? Couldn't reach his shoulders, so they had to improvise as per usual. "Looks like a langerine munched those herbs up then hurled 'em back out. There's a shop a few blocks away that doesn't have t' fake their inspections just t' pass as a legit store." Whether or not the miserable man agreed, they started to guide him towards the doorway after gently batting the components out of his hands.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 6:18 PM

It was a few seconds after someone was talking to him that it occurred to Noah that there was in fact someone still in the store along with himself. "Huh?" He turned his eyes to the unsizely stranger. And before he could even process what they were saying to him, he found his hands suddenly empty of everything he'd just picked up to buy. "Wha--hey, what was that for?"

He was somewhat given an answer, as he was half nudged, half dragged, towards the exit. He honestly didn't mind leaving. But for all he knew, this weirdo could have the full intention of leading him into a dark alleyway and slitting his throat, or mugging him, or taking him away to some secret lair to be an endlessly tortured test subject.

... Would he have to run errands if he was a test subject?

As he was scooted along towards the doorway, he glanced around the shop one more time. "But I'm supposed to get things here." Noah pointed a finger to the shop's floor to emphasise his point.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 6:26 PM

Captain cut off the other's protests with a raspberry of their lips and a dismissive hand wave. "Fine and dandy, buddy dude, but if ya's lookin' to actually cast somethin' successful, I dun' thinks whoever you're runnin' for is gonna mind." They looked up to the forlorn fellow, shooting him a wide, pearly-white grin. "How's about's on our way we do some celebratin' ourselves? There's a guy sellin' funnel cake for REAL cheap."

As the two stepped out of the shop, they flicked out a match with their free hand, lighting it against their coarse shorts. And as they passed the first bundles of perfectly innocent fireworks, they lit one of the fuses then killed the match.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 6:51 PM

Noah furrowed his brow. Nope, this was definitely an assassination in the works. Or, maybe they were going to hold him for ransom and send one of those creepy letters to his mentor. Not that it'd work, Hodjarl had better things to do. Like absolutely nothing. He rolled his eyes, head still bowed low to match the slouch in his upper half.

"If you're planning to hold me for ransom, it's not going to work, my mentor--did you just eat a match..?" His head actually turned so he could better stare at them and better convey just how much he was wondering, what in the high fucks is wrong with you. But... this couldn't possibly be a kidnapping. Arson was going to happen any second, he was sure of it now.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/02/2017 7:00 PM

"What? No, why would I eat a match that's crazy." Captain shook their head as they chewed up the match and swallowed. But before they could continue on how that would be totally ridiculous and not at all what they just did, the first bundle of fireworks went off.

The shriek, even though they were expecting it, made the both of then wince and curl up slightly to take cover from the blast. And like dominoes, one bundle went off and set off another, then the next, so on and so forth. All of which lead into the store and laid waste to its garbage inventory. "Hoooly shit?!" Captain glanced over their shoulder to gawk at the display. And quietly high-fived themself for sounding and looking so genuinely alarmed.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/03/2017 1:11 AM

Noah, on the other hand, let out a shrill yelp at the sudden screaming fireworks, accompanied actual explosions. Inadvertently, he served as a shield for the shorter person when he doubled over to cover his head. "What the hell?!" Had those fireworks been there before? Why were they so close to the buildings? And what had even sparked them?

His gaze slowly turned down to the halfling.

"... I'm highly inclined to doubt you, blondy. I hope you realise this." He gave a groggy nod of his head, emphasising his levels of disdain for the stranger. But Noah found his attention drawn back to the now burning shop, to which attention had been drawn. Just a moment ago, he could have been caught in that. Wellp... seemed he may still have to go back to Hodjarl and keep doing everything for him. Dang it.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/03/2017 1:46 AM

Their head was forcibly tipped down, chin pressed to their sternum. "Hey there, man, youse goofin' up my neck! Worry less about curlin' up into a bowlin' ball and worry about's gettin' away from the giant fireworks display of death?" Without waiting for a response, they hooked their arm back around the other's torso and pulled him away from the calamity.

Captain gave a wry snicker. "I'm sure ya don't, buddy. But hey--intentional or not, I just saved your butt. So keep the 'spicious squinting to yaself for a bit an' let's get some funnel cake, hmm?" They tilted their head up to the stranger. A brow was raised under their untamed bangs, and they pulled the corners of their lips into a slight smile.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/03/2017 7:45 AM

"Okay okay," he groaned as he was pulled along, righting his posture up proper. "Don't have to be so pushy about it either, do you?" Noah was really, really not liking this fellow at all. His head turned to look back at the chaos, frowning with worry even though he knew nobody else could have been in there. Right? Sure, he hated the owner, and the construct was not only a snob but also not a living being... But it still left him feeling worried.

With his attention drawn by more talking, Noah eyed the halfling over, eyebrows furrowing low over his down-turned eyes. No. Nothing about this person even so much as squeaked 'safe to trust'. The corners of his lips drew even more downward. "Give me a legitimate reason to trust you and I will," he mumbled. "Who are you, any way? What just happened--why save me, any how?"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/03/2017 3:35 PM

Captain craned their neck back, rolling it with a couple soft pops. "Jeez, maybe, if your immediate reaction when something right behind ya blows up is to drop like there's a tornado?" They tipped their head to the side, a single yellow eye peeking out from their hair up at the now alarmed mop of depression.

"And what's with all the questions? I save ya because dyin' sucks, yeah? And what just happened was, a fricken building got blasted to high goofs." Pulling away from the other once they were well away from the former magic shop, they held out a hand to shake. "And my name is Captain. Nice t' meetchya, given the circumstances."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/03/2017 3:43 PM

Noah's face crinkled into a scowl. "I was trying to cover my head from getting hit by anything..." His attempt to sound imposing was about as successful as a rotten leather glove stuck at the bottom of a stagnant stream. Which wasn't very successful at all. "Whereas your idea of getting away is to sprint away from it and look highly suspicious? It seems pretty suspicious to me."

But he was taken aback by the sudden offering of a hand. Glancing from the hand to its owner's face, hand, face, back and forth for several gruelling seconds, he reluctantly (and finally) took the sharp, slender little hand and shook it once. "Noah. Nice to meet you too, I guess. I mean, it could've been a worse meeting. I could've died, you could've died, we both could've died, someone could have suspected us and given chase, the shop owner could've been there..." It seemed he both had no intention to go on such a tangent, as well as fully intended to keep going on nonetheless.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 06/04/2017 3:58 PM

"Whoa whoa whoa there, my guy!" Captain pressed a hand to Noah's chest, as if he needed to be grounded from this mysterious, other plane of existence where ranting about horrible demises was the norm. "How's about this, Noah? Let's go get that funnel cake, maybe watch some idiots flail about to weird soundin' music, hmm? Make it an acquaintance date." The held up a finger, shushing Noah before he could protest. "And that's totally a thing. Youse need to get out more often, dude."

With that, Captain took Noah's... elbow? Yeah, his elbow, and lead him to one of the snack stands. It smelled horribly of sweets. They fucking loved it. They purchased one of the medium funnel cakes--and balanced on one foot to shift their other foot into a thin snake rooted to their leg and sneak the same amount and then some from the dumb fop's coin pouch. "Thanks pal, youse have a great day," they chimed with a smile, turning and walking off with their funnel cake, baffled Noah, and two perfectly normal feet.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer