Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

[*] Circle 'Round Me

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/02/2017 6:18 PM

[Pet Unlocked]
[This is an AU and not how Dukhaan and Baltoro actually meet but I wanted to do somethin cute haha]

ImageImage

Dukhaan's jaw was starting to hurt, from the way his cheek was pressed so hard into the heel of his hand that was supporting his head. He stared dully at the puppet show in front of him, enacting the story of the golden thread that Dukhaan had heard so many times in storybooks when he was a child. It was dumb--Dukhaan was fourteen, now, and puppet shows were for babies.

"Nera-see-tel is so pretty..." Esfir, Dukhaan's little brother, piped up from beside him, his dark eyes shining with wonder at the dollike puppet with a cartoonishly large needle and thread. He couldn't even say her name right. Dukhaan rolled his eyes and made a noncommittal grunt in response, his eyes drifting to the crowd in his peripheral vision. They were sitting on a few benches, facing the small, but elaborately-decorated stage made especially for this sort of thing. Dukhaan's butt was getting sore, with how long this was going on. It had to have been at least thirty minutes, so as you'd expect, Dukhaan was just about dying from boredom.

"She is, isn't she?" their mother whispered, gently hugging Esfir around the shoulders. "But keep your voice down--we don't want to interrupt the story!"

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: [] Circle 'Round Me

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/02/2017 6:25 PM

The only problem with knowing the story, is that Dukhaan knew it wasn't even halfway done yet. He shifted his weight, then cut a glance at his mother, her soft, intelligent eyes bright beneath her headscarf. If he tried to sneak away, she'd surely see him--there was no way she wouldn't notice. But he was definitely going to die of old age, or something, if he stayed here much longer.

"Mom," he whispered, gently tugging on her sleeve, reaching around Esfir to do so. "Gotta go to the bathroom. Can I go?" His mom blinked at him, a frown on her face.

"I asked if you needed to go before we came," she whispered back, then repeated herself with an exasperated expression when Dukhaan cupped a hand over the shell of his ear to hear better. "Can't you hold it?"

Dukhaan shook his head, and his mother sighed, moving as though she was going to tell Esfir that they needed to go. Dukhaan winced, then tugged her again. "I can go by myself. Really. I'm fourteen." Dukhaan had made a habit of saying he was fourteen ever since he'd turned the age, which had been several months ago. It was like his new armor.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/02/2017 6:28 PM

His mother stared at him for a moment, then looked at the crowd. It was filled with adults and children alike, almost everyone looking fairly friendly. She seemed hesitant, then finally nodded. "Just come right back," she whispered, and re-settled, but there was a tension to her posture now that she knew one of her kids would be running amok without her watchful eye.

That being said, Dukhaan's mother was not a hoverer--at least not to Dukhaan. Maybe to Esfir. But even Dukhaan was a hoverer to Esfir.

Dukhaan made a noise that sounded like a thank you, and darted off his seat and into the crowd as fast as he could with the urgency of a kid who needed the toilet. Once out of sight, he slowed down, shoving his hands in his baggy pockets and weaving his lithe body through the crowd. Finally, alone. Well, alone enough--the crowd was thick and loud, but no one knew him. Hell, no one even saw him. Dukhaan took pride in being sneaky, in blending in with the crowd. He eyed a man's wallet, sticking out of his back pocket, and bit down on the urge that floated up to snatch it.

He wasn't going to the bathroom, no, but there was no way he'd make trouble for his mom by stealing.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/02/2017 6:35 PM

Instead, he distracted his mind by picking out a sound in the chaos, and following it. He could hear a faint music, chipper and upbeat, coming from somewhere to his left. It was as worth checking out as anything, and curiosity was getting the better of him. Keeping his restless fingers deep in his pockets as he passed affluent festival goer after festival goer, Dukhaan eventually happened upon a circular clearing created by the crowd. In the center of the circle was a large, beautiful golden statue of what he assumed was supposed to be Yepha (though Dukhaan himself never cared much for the gods or their appearances--if they even existed), with people dancing in what looked like some sort of organized dance together. Alarm flashed through him as someone rushed up and grabbed the hand of the woman standing next to him, pulling her into the dance as she let out a whoop of startled, delighted laughter.

Dukhaan kept his arms close to his chest, not wanting to be pulled in. Dancing was just about as dumb as puppet shows, probably. Probably...

Dukhaan had never danced, except maybe when he'd been a toddler. He stayed halfway behind two other people, a teen and an adult, and watched from his safe vantage point, occasionally focusing on one of the dancers twirling and spinning bare-footed on the smooth sun-warmed marble ground.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 3:06 AM

Dukhaan jumped as one of his human shields wandered off, exposing him to the dancers once more. His eyes flicked around, suddenly locking with a pair of blue eyes that belonged to a boy that surely must've been close to his age. And just like that, it was like he'd been chosen. He stiffened up when the boy's face split with a grin and he trotted up to Dukhaan, hands outreached to grab him by the hands... and then slowed to a stop, his face falling with recognition.

"Oh!" the boy said, blinking, and grinning sheepishly. "Sorry! I didn't realize, you're still wearing shoes," he laughed. "Almost didn't notice. Those feathers in your hair are really pretty--are they real?"

Dukhaan stared at the wild-haired boy, squinting involuntarily at him. "Uh... shoes? Yeah, I'm... wearing shoes, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"Ahh," the brunette sighed, waving a finger. "I guess you don't know. You keep your shoes on if you don't want to be pulled into the dance. Take your shoes off, and you're fair game!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 3:10 AM

Dukhaan didn't mean to look affronted, but it seemed to be that way, because the boy's face was falling even further into worry. "Something wrong?"

"Wha?" Dukhaan blinked, wrinkling up his nose. "No, you just... you smell sweaty," he answered lamely, making things up. "So if I take my shoes off, anyone can grab me and pull me in?"

The boy thought for a moment, then shrugged. "Well, you can always say no, but you'll get weird looks. You can just keep your shoes on if you don't wanna dance. Buuuut... it's really fun," he whispered, like he was telling a secret, baby blue eyes shining. "That's why I'm sweaty! Pretty sure I've been at this for hours."

Dukhaan felt his jaw slacken. Hours? How could anyone do anything for hours? "I don't know how to dance," he said in a brief, powerful burst of honesty. He stiffened up and swallowed down whatever words he was about to say, but it was too late--the brunette's eyes were widening with an idea, white teeth flashing a grin.

"Take your shoes off, and I'll teach you."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 5:02 PM

There was a beat of silence that was Dukhaan's brain weighing his options, his eyes drawn to the hand extended to him. It didn't take long for him to decide. Kicking his shoes off in an awkward, but quick movement, Dukhaan's hand clapped against the boy's as he took it, and was pulled into the crowd in a whirl of noise and breeze against his face. The boy's energy was contagious.

Before long both of Dukhaan's hands were laced with the boy's, his golden eyes wide with nervousness at the crowd suddenly all around them. Being in the crowd was a lot different than being in front of it. He shot a desperate look to the boy, not knowing what to do, and that smile really didn't put him at ease, either. "Just follow me. You'll get the hang of it--there's no wrong way!"

Somehow, that took a little bit of pressure off of Dukhaan. His eyes flicked down to try to watch Baltoro's feet as he found himself half-manhandled into the dance, even if this boy was shorter than him.

"I'm Baltoro, by the way," he chirped, unabashed by Dukhaan's awkward, heavy steps. "What's your name?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 10:33 PM

Baltoro, huh. "Dukhaan," he said in response, palms sweaty with nervousness against Baltoro's hands. Even so, it was getting easier, this whole dancing thing. "Hey, I think I'm--"

"See you in a bit, Dukhaan!" Baltoro talked over him, which wasn't hard, given how Dukhaan was mumbling. Suddenly Dukhaan was swung outward and caught by another person, a kindly-looking man who greeted him. Unlike Baltoro, this man seemed to think Dukhaan was already used to the dance, which he most certainly was not. He tossed a glance over his shoulder at Baltoro, who was dancing with a little girl who must've only been five years old, her steps practiced and expert-level.

He fumed internally, and yelped as he stumbled over the man's feet. "Woah, watch yourself there!" the man huffed, and they fell back into place. Dukhaan frowned, but tried to keep up, his dark brows furrowed in concentration.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 11:20 PM

Dukhaan kept changing partners, figuring it out that this was what was supposed to happen, and with each new dance partner, he got a little more used to the dance. He even found himself smiling, teeth clenched in concentration with a small grin, a small feeling of cockiness rising up in him. Yeah, he was great at this--he was probably the greatest dancer in the world. He let go of a girl's hand and spun around to meet his next partner, gasping as he nearly stumbled right into Baltoro. The other boy caught him and steadied him, his wild blue eyes laughing with mirth.

"Found you!" he exclaimed when Dukhaan straightened, their hands locking again. Dukhaan smirked once he'd recovered, so ready to show Baltoro who the real dance master was, when suddenly the song ended with a flourish of a bow across violin strings. Baltoro's attention flashed up to the band, his smile breaking into a grin as he released Dukhaan's hands to clap. Dukhaan stood, stunned for a moment, that his plan was interrupted, then slowly began to clap as well. Geez... it wasn't fair.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 11:32 PM

It was only now that he'd stopped dancing that Dukhaan realized how exhausted he was. His feet were scuffed up and his clothes stuck to him with sweat. Baltoro looked back at him when the music started up again, a different, slower song, then blinked at him. "Oh gods, you don't look so good," Baltoro murmured, reaching out to steady Dukhaan. "Stay here a second, yeah? Don't fall over."

Baltoro was gone in a flash, leaving Dukhaan to wonder why, but he stayed put regardless. He did move out of the way of the dancers who were beginning to slow dance, a wrinkle in his nose showing his distaste for 'all that mushy stuff,' as he'd call it. Moments later, Baltoro reappeared with Dukhaan's boots and a pair of brown, shorter boots as well. "Got our shoes--let's go get something to eat," he piped, chipper, boundless energy taking charge as he led Dukhaan into the crowd.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 11:59 PM

The crowd seemed to perk him up somewhat, though his feet were hurting a bit from getting stepped on so much (and stepping on others' feet as well). Eventually he found himself sitting on a bench with their shoes beside him, Baltoro gone and then back again with cups of something to drink. "Start with this. You look dehydrated," he said, enunciating the word carefully.

Dukhaan didn't know what the word meant, but if it meant tired, then yes, he was. "No I'm not," he said anyhow, and knocked back the drink. It was some sort of milk, which he was thankful for--cold and sweet and just what his parched throat needed. "Thanks," he said once he'd gulped down half of it, looking at Baltoro curiously. "What do I owe you, huh?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2017 12:10 AM

"Owe me?" Baltoro blinked, sipping his own cup, his eyes a bit wide. "Uh... nothing! You just looked thirsty, is all. Thanks for dancing with me, even if you were pretty bad at it," he chuckled.

Dukhaan's expression fell into a scowl. "I was not," he muttered, jerking his head to look away from the other boy. All smiles and laughs, seriously, who was this kid? "I got better. I'm the fastest learner ever. S'what my mom says, at least," he added, softer, as if even mentioning his mom felt embarrassing. Seriously, what kind of guy played that card after turning, what, ten?

He glanced back at Baltoro to see the boy's expression softened for a moment, before he shook it off and smiled again. "Well, I wish I could've seen it. I'll believe you, anyhow." Dukhaan grunted in response, curious about the momentary break in that perma-smile, then sniffed the air as he finished his milk.

"Hey, do you smell that?" he asked, a very nice-smelling scent wafting past him.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2017 12:26 AM

"Hm?" Baltoro murmured, sniffing the air, angling his head until he caught it. "Oh! Wow, that smells good. Let's go get some!" he exclaimed, already grabbing his shoes and putting them on.

"Wait," Dukhaan said, wincing at himself, but he had Baltoro's attention so there was no way he could just not say anything. "I... told my mom that I'd be back soon," he admitted, not sure how long he'd been gone. She was probably worried... and she'd probably yell at him. He watched Baltoro mull it over, then smile at Dukhaan.

"We can get something for her, too, as an apology for you being gone so long! Do moms like yummy food?" Baltoro chuckled as he hopped off the bench. Dukhaan tugged on his boots and followed, his expression pensive.

"I mean... I think everyone likes yummy food," he mused, hands in his pockets as he followed Baltoro. At least the crowd wasn't quite as thick here.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate