Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

[*] Take a Breather [P] .:

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 2:58 PM

[Pet Unlocked]
The city of Aldrect was bustling with life. In the colors of the evening, bright colors could be seen from the outskirts of the city, and arguably from even further than that. The city looked to be glowing in a gold hue from out here. With that kind of festivities, one would think that no one was outside the city, only inside — and while not far from the truth, that wasn't quite the case.
Right before the outskirts of the city were thin patches of woods and trees. While the woods housed many animals, there was at least one man walking down the dirt path. He looked like a classy fellow, sporting a kind of tuxedo — even if the attire looked rough and somewhat in shambles. He didn't look homeless by any means, but one wouldn't expect to see this kind of look at an official meeting. The white color, instead of the traditional black, was also a rather eye-catching detail about the suit, only accentuated by the small parts of red adorned throughout.

He stopped once he finally caught a glimpse of the city just a few ways away. It hadn't been much of a long trek, but the circumstances had made the trip rather tiring.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[C2] [K1] [P1]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 4:55 PM

He breathed a satisfied sigh and ran a hand through his hair — one that matched the white outfit in both color and looks. "Here you go, my friends: the holy city of Aldrect," he said, putting his hands over his hips and taking in the sight. "You should be safe for a bit here."
ImageImage
A pair soon followed in the steps of the white man, one that wasn't much better than he looked. The man wore a cloak and a hat that had been shredded in parts; the rest of his attire looked nicked and damaged. The woman of the two, a petite girl with long hair tied into braids, looked fairly unharmed. Parts of her dress had been damaged, but unlike the two men, it didn't look like damage as a result of a fight.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C3] [K2] [P2]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 5:12 PM

Before long the three of them were next to one another, and they were all taking in the sight of the illuminated city. The girl quietly asked, with relief, "This is Aldrect?"

"It sure is," the white man confirmed again, crossing his arms. "It won't be long until we're right by the outskirts of the town, now."

The girl sighed, even more relieved. "Thank goodness."

"You're positive we'll be safe here?" the second man asked, turning to look at the white one. "A celebration doesn't mean the city is safe."

"Ah, but with the amount of people in the city right now," the white man pointed out, "you'll blend right in. I'm sure some will be dressed for the occasion, maybe even trying to dress like whoever they're celebrating — so I'm sure our little princess here will blend right in," he said confidently with a shrug. He paused, and as he looked over the other man, he added, "I'd even dare say you'd fit right in too, for a change."

The cloaked man looked right back at him with a straight face, but he didn't say anything in retort.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C4] [K3] [P3]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 5:21 PM

With that said, the dark man turned back towards the city. "Let's go," he said. "We have to go through as fast as we can."

As he watched the other one get a move on, the white shook his head and shrugged, all with a smile. "Hold on, Kuzey," he called out, and the man stopped. "Why are you in such a hurry?" The question was rhetorical, but Kuzey turned around and just gave him a straight face. "Blending in here might be a better idea than you might be thinking."

"It's not," he said flatly. "It'll put others in danger, and it'll slow us down. I have to bring the Princess back home."

He didn't say anything, but both noticed the girl's expression turn morose as she looked down and away from the two. There was silence between the three for a matter of seconds. "I think we both agree the Princess still feels like 'home' is in the opposite direction," the white one pointed out, glancing at the Princess and then back to Kuzey, "don't you think?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C5] [K4] [P3]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 5:32 PM

Kuzey narrowed his eyes slightly. "That is neither here nor there," he pointed out.

"Maybe not," the white one started, shaking his head, "but listen to me for a minute here. We were just ambushed, for one, and let me say, put bluntly — you look horrible," he said. "The city is celebrating an event: now's your chance to blend into the public and recover from the last trek." There were bounds to be discounts and all sorts of promotions throughout the city: a perfect opportunity to stock up again before moving onward.

"A celebration means higher security," Kuzey pointed out. "If anyone sees us, they'll bring it right back to Quacey. What then, Caldwell?"

Caldwell shook his head. "Fair enough, but let me remind you Prince Quacey hasn't conquered this area."

Kuzey narrowed his eyes some more. "Not yet, he hasn't," he finished for him.

"Yes, well," Caldwell started again, "point of the matter is that you're safe enough for now — you're in a safe section of the territory, and the Prince has little jurisdiction here. Even if your pessimism likes to say it's only 'for now'."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C6] [K5] [P4]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 8:57 PM

"Whether now or later, it's not safe to stay put in one place for too long — not right now," Kuzey argued.

"The point of the matter is that you need to stock up before you leave," Caldwell argued back. "You have multiple options from this city on where to travel to next; the road you decide to take from here will affect the rest of your journey."

The banter continued in similar fashion for a bit; back and forth, back and forth. While the two men argued, the Princess considered the situation in her own way, in silence. She kept looking towards the decorated city, and the thoughts of a celebration turned in her head. Not only that, but the thought of having the luxury to stick by one place for more than a few hours.

At some point, she turned her attention to the two men. They were both seemingly lost within their own world, and it looked like she wasn't even a part of it, despite being right there next to them. "Um... excuse me," she called out to the two of them, and although her voice was gentle, it was enough to make both of them clam up almost right away.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C7] [K6] [P5]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 9:07 PM

Caldwell turned to face the Princess, a hand behind his back and the other up front. "Princess," he said, to indicate that she had his undivided attention. Kuzey said nothing, but he also turned to look towards her, waiting for her to talk.

"Um, technically..." the Princess started, "I'm the one who's in charge here."

There was a short moment of silence. Kuzey's expression didn't change, but Caldwell bowed a little. "Right you are, Princess," he agreed.

"Yet neither of you asked how I feel about this," she pointed out, looking from one to the other and back; which the two men did, looking to each other after that statement.

"And right you are again, my Princess," Caldwell agreed again, and Kuzey couldn't help but to subtly roll his eyes at the white one's fancy-do's. "So then: what do you think?"

"Ah, well..." She stopped herself and looked at Kuzey, her face looking apologetic. "Kuzey, I think Caldwell is right," she admitted. While he said nothing and his expression changed very little, she knew he hadn't liked that answer. "And... I would like to be with the people again," she added, turning to look at the celebrating town. "I'd like to stop running... even if just for one night."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C8] [K7] [P6]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 9:22 PM

"Well, if the Princess has spoken, then I'm afraid there's no debating left, is there?" Caldwell said as he glanced at Kuzey for his rebuttal.

Kuzey faced the Princess in silence for a moment. "Primrose," he started, "my goal is to bring you back home safe. Stopping here for so long could jeopardize that."

Caldwell scoffed quietly at his answer. "Oh, the privileges this one has," he whispered to himself with a dismissive shrug and shake of his head, which earned him the stink eye from Kuzey.

"I know, Kuzey," Primrose said before he had a chance to put Caldwell and his attitude back in place, "but I'm exhausted." She clamped her hands and put them to her chest. "And so are you. I need you as much as you need me for this trip."

Kuzey didn't reply, but Caldwell saved the day. "Oh, charming," he mumbled to himself with a grin, and he could heard Kuzey's gears grinding.

As the three fell silent, and as it looked like they couldn't reach an agreement, Primrose spoke again. "Listen, Kuzey," she said, waiting for him to look back to her before she continued, "I trust you to protect me with all you have. How about... we give this a try?" she suggested. "Let's try to enjoy these festivities in the city — if we see anything suspicious, or if you feel like something is wrong, then I won't argue with you, and we can leave."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C9] [K8] [P7]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 9:39 PM

Primrose and Kuzey looked at each other as she wanted for him to answer, and Caldwell looked between the two. After a short moment of silence, Kuzey groaned quietly. "Fine," he said simply; although he wanted to add he was doing for her sake, he bit his tongue.

She was relieved to hear his answer, and she breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh, Kuzey, thank you," she said, smiling sheepishly at him.

"Well, with that little agreement settled," Caldwell interjected, "it's time for me to skedaddle."

"Huh?" Primrose turned to him. "You're not coming with us?"

"The less you are, the less attention you'll bring unto yourselves," he pointed out, "but your invitation is much appreciated, my Princess," he added, giving a short and regal bow. "You go on ahead, and I'll take care to distract... them," he promised.

"In your state," Kuzey pointed out flatly, referring to the fact the white one was just as beat up as he was. "Really?"

"He's right, Caldwell," Primrose joined in. "At least let's part ways on the other side of the city."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C10] [K9] [P8]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 9:56 PM

Caldwell laughed at their concerns. "The sweet Princess and the rough and tough sellsword worrying for the street rat," he said while shaking his head.

Primrose gave him a disapproving look. "Caldwell."

"Don't you worry yourselves none about me," he begged teasingly.

"I won't," Kuzey promised flatly.

"Yes, well, as I would expect from you," Caldwell said, shooting him a glance. "But truly: let us part ways here. I don't need to hold you two back any longer. I'll keep an eye out out there, Princess, for your sake. We will meet again," he promised, turning back to the Princess.

She wasn't so keen on the idea, but she sighed. She stepped towards him and took both of his hands inside of hers. "Caldwell, thank you. Always," she said, looking up at him. "I'm not sure who I am now because of all this, but..." She stopped; and her hands tightened around his. "I'm glad you're here."

Caldwell's expression changed, and he only looked down at the Princess with a look of empathy and sympathy, all in silence. He looked surprised to hear the words from her, to the point where it put his attitude on the side for a moment.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C11] [K9] [P9]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 10:11 PM

"Princess," Caldwell started, taking his hands out and instead using them to wrap them around hers, "despite the current circumstances, you are most definitely still Princess Quacey," he assured her. "I don't know what's happening to Prince Quacey, but you may yet be the only one who left in this world who can bring him back to reason. And that is exactly why..." — he paused to glance at Kuzey — "... I also want nothing more than to see you make it back home safely."

Hearing those words, Primrose's face lit up, both from happiness and embarrassment; it almost looked like she was about to start crying. "Thank you," she said quietly, holding back grateful tears.

With a large, cocky smile, Caldwell let go of her hands. "Here, a small present before I go: for the both of you." He reached for his pockets and pulled out a small satchel, and it jingled with currency as he handed it over to the Princess. "Perhaps this little pocket change will allow you to stock up on necessities while also allowing you to enjoy these festivities, hm?"

"Oh!" Primrose said as she took the small satchel from him. "Thank you so much, Caldwell."

He offered the Princess a smile. "My pleasure always, my Princess," he assured her. "Now go; lest you miss out on the celebrations."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C12] [K10] [P10]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 10:30 PM

With everything said and done, Primrose and Kuzey went their separate ways from Caldwell, heading towards Aldrect. Caldwell waved to them both as they continued down the dirt path to the city, and Primrose occasionally looked behind her. The white man eventually grew smaller and smaller as they increased the distance between them, until he was gone. Sorrow in her heart, she turned to look ahead instead, keeping her eyes on the upcoming city.

The road was a short one to the outskirts of the city, and it was a road they traveled mostly in silence. Kuzey wasn't one for idle conversation; Primrose always needed to create some kind of conversation between them, but she didn't always have a good topic to talk about. She looked away from the city to look over Kuzey and his torn attire, and as she looked back towards the city, she said, "We were in luck to meet with Caldwell when we did, weren't we?"

Kuzey didn't look at her, and he didn't say much of a response. "Hmm."

Primrose glanced at him; although the two men bickered whenever they met, she knew that they respected one another, even if it were in their own strange way. Still, Kuzey's silence made Primrose understand that he didn't seem interested in talking about the other man. She dropped the conversation then, and the two continued in silence.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[K11] [P11]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 10:39 PM

As they neared the city, Kuzey spoke up. "Primrose," he said, and the Princess visibly jumped, "let me ask you something."

"Oh! Yes — what is it?" she asked, a little surprised to see him initiate the conversation. "Is something wrong?"

"No," he said, but his own question didn't follow right away. "Primrose," he started, and he glanced at her, "do you trust him?" he asked, and Primrose blinked. "Caldwell," Kuzey specified. "Do you trust him?"

She stared at him for a moment. "Caldwell?" she echoed as she continued to process Kuzey's question. "I mean — yes, of course. He was... He was my confident, and my butler, when I was in Chandra," she replied, the hesitation in her answer being from how unprepared she was to answer this kind of question.

At her answer, Kuzey said nothing and instead turned back to look towards Aldrect; the town ever approaching.

His silence started making her nervous. "Why? Do you..." She paused. "Don't you?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[K12] [P12]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/03/2017 11:35 PM

It had been a few times now that they'd met up with Caldwell — always so conveniently. Although they traveled their separate ways, they always ran into each other. He always helped them get out of a bad spot, and he was always so willing to help them. Were those intentions from anyone else, he wouldn't probably dwell on it — but Caldwell...

"That's not it," he replied to Primrose's question, even though it wasn't quite the truth. He had a weird gut feeling about Caldwell — he couldn't quite place it. Part of him trusted him, but there was a bad feeling that warned him to be wary. His role was too convenient; from helping Kuzey fight to providing the two of them extra spending money, something didn't sit right. He'd had a hunch since the beginning, but Caldwell was one of the few things left of Primrose's old life. Breaking that tie wouldn't do her any good; not when he had no proof of any misguided or ill intentions on Caldwell's part.

Still worried, Primrose tried to press him. "What's wrong, then?" she asked. "Was it something he said?"

Kuzey shook his head. "Never mind. It's fine," he assured her. Now was not the time to stress her out with theories and assumptions.

Despite his words, she wasn't quite convinced. Still, as they were almost at the city, she dropped the subject.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[K13] [P13]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/04/2017 12:03 AM

Before long, the two had reached the outskirts of Aldrect. Even just outside the city, sights of the celebration were obvious. People were dressed in bright yellow, and those who weren't still had some hints of the golden color. Banners and strings of gold adorned the city, and overall, one theme of the celebration was rather clear: it had something to do with gold.

Kuzey squinted at the bright lights and flashy attires, but Primrose seemed to revel in it. "Oh, it's all so pretty!" she commented, clapping her hands together. "It's all bright and golden! I wonder what they're celebrating?" With a quicker pace, Primrose made her way inside the city. Kuzey tipped his hat and followed suit.

The inside of the city was even brighter: surely, the town looked alive and sunny regardless of the actual time of day. The bright reflective decorations were everywhere, and the brightness was carried on by all the people who were dressed in the same color. Through it all, booths and stores across the streets offered trinkets, gifts, and prizes, as well as what appeared to be raffle entry tickets. All in gold.

He didn't particularly care about the celebration, but with this excessive amount of gold, he couldn't help but to wonder what in the world this city was celebrating.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Next