Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Soldiers Day [P, L]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:34 PM

She could feel her heart pounding in her ears, her breath coming in short and ragged gasps as she forced her legs to propel her forward and not to the back of the line. She knew what she’d signed up for, but still…being out here, with the screams and the cries and the bullets and the explosions. It was a whole other world, and it wasn’t one she was sure she should be in. Regret and fear nearly blinded her in her panic, but she managed to get her legs moving through an immense force of will.

Her mouth felt as dry as cotton as she skidded over the edge of the ditch, trying to scrabble along and out of it. Once she did, she almost leapt back in.

All around her, men were running forward, scattered, confused despite their orders, and just trying to stay alive. To her right, a mortar exploded, sending dirt and debris and gravel raining down on her. Instinctively, Sam threw her arms up, feeling the concussion of the blast send her boots skidding along in the dirt. Her eyes widened, heart hammering so hard she was sure it would jump out of her chest and run to the rear without her. She didn’t know where to start, what to do. The hospital wasn’t like this; it was all order and charts and knowing what was next. This was blood and panic and confusion and she had no idea where she was needed most. Even Lew and Sidney, who had told her stories about their time in Normandy, couldn’t have prepared her for what battle was really like.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: [] Soldiers Day

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:34 PM

That was when she saw it.

The tank was on fire, probably destroyed by a German shell, and was rolling, ever so steadily, towards a ditch. Sam could just make out a man in the ditch from where she stood along the road, the top of his head as he frantically crawled along. Something inside of her faltered briefly, her feet turning to run away. But another part of her urged me to move, to do something, to stop standing there like a god damn idiot and do her fucking job!

That last part screamed at her, louder and louder until she swore under her breath and took off, one hand on her helmet and the other on her bag as she sprinted towards the tank and the soldier in the ditch. Maybe she could get to him, drag him away from it. He was probably injured, unable to stand and-

Sam felt something hot and searing rip through her upper arm, and it nearly made her lose her momentum as she cried out, stumbling the last few steps in front of the ditch. The pain was unlike anything she’d ever felt, and she had never been a stranger to pain. It burned and stung like a hot iron, and she could feel the blood already oozing quickly from the wound.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:35 PM

But still, despite the pain, Sam kept going, running blindly toward the solider in the ditch, concerned only for him. The tank was rolling forward, a burning mass of twisted metal that steamrolled everything in its path. She managed to turn just in time to see it heading towards her, knocking into a power pole and sending sparks showering around her.

Sam’s arms moved of their own accord, thrown up above her head to shield herself, and the burning pain in her arm was almost enough to send them back down again. She stepped backwards to escape the shower of sparks, and suddenly found herself falling into the ditch as her boot met nothing but air. She didn’t think it was that far, but when she landed, hard, on top of a wriggling, cursing soldier, the stars behind her eyes said otherwise.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:35 PM

Eugene hopped into the back of the truck, instructing Malarkey, Muck and Bill to help Buck onto the back from the door they’d dragged him in on.

“Put him there,” he pointed to the floor, already reaching for more bandages. There wasn’t much he could do for Buck, but he could at least get him bandaged up. He patted the lieutenant’s boot, before looking up and over him, meeting Muck, Malarkey and Bill’s eyes. “Hey, any of you seen Sam? She was right behind me when we headed into town, but I musta lost her. I ain’t seen her since then.”

Malarkey and Muck exchanged a look, while Bill cursed. “No,” Malarkey began haltingly. “We thought she was sticking close to you, doc. None of us have seen her since the fighting started.”

“Fuck, you mean she’s still out there?!” Muck exclaimed, looking over the back of the other trucks to see if a familiar face was peeking out at him. “Sam?!” His eyes scanned frantically, hands clenched on his rifle. Muck called for her only once more, and when no answer came, he turned, as if to march back to the town to find her. Bill grabbed his shoulder, yanking him backwards before he could take more than half a step.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:36 PM

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” he demanded, just as Captain Winters, Lipton and Nixon scrambled to the trucks. “You can’t go back out there! We’re pulling out. What are you gonna do? You can’t do anything to help her now!”

“What’s going on?” Winters demanded, noticing that Eugene was trying to clamber over an injured Buck, face and jaw set in a look of determination. “Doc?”

“Sergeant Branigan is still out there, sir,” Gene replied, managing to get over Compton and to the edge of the truck bed. He was just about to jump down, hands clenched tight on the strap of his medic bag. “We need to go get her.”

“Bull is out there too. They’re both missing,” Lipton said quietly, and from the look on Dick’s face, it was clear that hit him hard. He knew it; this was his biggest fear. If Sam died, it would be a blemish on his soul that he could never remove. And to lose Bull Randleman would be an incredibly hard blow; he was one of the best soldiers Winters had ever known.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: [] Soldiers Day [P, L]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:36 PM

The captain shook his head, indicating that the men should get into the trucks. The action looked as though it cost him great effort. “We can’t go back there, not right now. We have to get out of here before we lose any more men.” He locked eyes with Eugene, concerned with the hardness and anger he saw there. The medic looked like he was about to argue, but Winters cut him off before he could begin. “Eugene. We just can’t risk it. We’ll come back; we’ll look for them. But we can’t right now. Load up, and let’s move out.”

Muck, Malarkey, Eugene and Bill all shared a look before the three men who weren’t already in the truck pulled themselves up and in, reluctant to follow orders for the first time in their military lives. Eugene sat back heavily against Buck’s legs, and felt the lieutenant reach up and clap him on the shoulder, feeling somewhat impressed that the man was trying to comfort him, despite the obvious pain Compton was in.

“We’ll get them back, doc. Don’t you worry. Bull is a fighter, and I’m sure he’ll find Sam and look after her.”

Gene didn’t respond as the trucks rumbled to life and rolled away from the town.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:37 PM

The first thing Sam registered when she woke was that it was dark. The second thing she registered was that she was no longer outside.

“What the heck happened…?” she muttered softly, trying to sit up and look around. The second she moved, however, her arm burned with pain and she hissed out a long breath, turning her head to get a look at what it was. A bloody bandage looked like it had been hastily wrapped around her upper bicep, and she tentatively reached for it, peeling it away to reveal the ripped uniform beneath and the large, bloody gash through the skin. Her fingers probed a little, despite the pain, and she determined that it wasn’t too deep, just really fucking painful. She replaced the bandage, awkwardly trying to tie it tighter to stop the slow ooze of blood she noticed had started up again when she’d pulled it away.

Now satisfied that the pain in her arm wasn’t anything she had to worry about too much, she focused on her surroundings, and finding out where she was. “Where-” She opened her mouth, only to have a large hand clamp over it. Panic lanced through her, and she thrashed frantically, ignoring the burning in her arm as she tried to turn and get her assailant off of her. She knew how to fight, but all of that flew out of her mind and out the window the second she’d started to panic.

“Damn it, Sam, knock it off!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:37 PM

The quiet reprimand stilled her, and she panted hard against the hand that held her mouth closed, twisting to look over her shoulder to see a vaguely familiar face. It was Bull Randleman, the sergeant who had been in charge of some of the new replacements. She remembered meeting him briefly at the bar the night Bill, Babe and Toye confronted her. His wary eyes regarded her in the dark, and she offered him a nod to show she understood, and she would be quiet. The hand lifted from her mouth, and Bull sat back on his heels with a hiss.

“Glad you’re awake. You damn near knocked us both out when you landed on me. The hell were you thinkin’, sweetheart? You coulda been killed.”

“So could you,” she quipped softly. “I didn’t even know that was you crawling from the tank. I just…”

Sam trailed off, feeling unsure. Bull cocked a half smile her way, cigar sitting between his lips. “You just wanted to do some good. I get it. But the fact of the matter is-” He gestured vaguely to the barn they were in, and her eyes darted around the darkened lofts fearfully; every shadow seemed to jump and leap out at them. “-we’re stuck here ‘til we can find a way back to our comp’ny. And I don’t think that’ll be any time soon.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/04/2017 11:38 PM

Sam opened her mouth to reply, feeling dread creeping into her bones, when the sound of the barn door being opened startled the two of them into silence. Bull pushed her into one of the stalls as quick as he could, and she bit her lip to keep the yelp of pain from escaping. Scrabbling to get out of sight as swiftly and quietly as possible, she peeked through the slats of the stall to see Bull slam into the man who came in, pushing him up against the wall with a knife to his neck. Same fought the urge to tell him to stop, that it wasn’t right, but she had no say in this matter, and she sure as hell wasn’t going to give away her position.

The sound of soft footsteps drew her attention to the open door, where a wide-eyed young girl stood. She was probably the farmer’s daughter and she looked about as scared as Sam felt. After a few tense moments, Bull finally seemed to relax, letting the man go and moving back to where he’d pushed Sam, settling heavily against the stall. The man and the girl seemed hesitant, as if not sure what to do.

When Bull settled in front of her, Sam leaned forward, about to ask him what they would do next, when she caught sight of the faint sheen of blood in the pale moonlight filtering through the barn. He was injured; that was what that hiss was about earlier when he’d sat back on his heels. That had to be hurting him. “Bull,” she whispered, reaching up to tentatively touch it. “What-?”

“Piece of the tank. Can you get it out, doc?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate