Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Thoughts That Breathe [L]

Postby Night » 07/08/2017 9:00 PM

"I'm just saying that there's no way they can pin it on us. It's not like we invited those creeps in the door and up to our room for some drinks. They were chasing us!" Lero gestured animately at Oliver, who was a distinctly green color beneath the pallor of his skin. "They don't have have shit on us. Where is our lawyer, anyway? Aren't we entitled to a lawyer?"

Brian huffed. From a logical standpoint, he felt as though Lero's logic was lacking. They had been caught out rather blatantly with way more weapons than could be explained away as self defense, as well as some other items of questionable legality, and they had lead a mass of cultists through the majority of a rather upscale hotel. Who knows how much property damage had been inflicted just by them choosing to exist in that particular space at that particular time.

"What do you want me to tell them, Frankie?" He said instead of any of that. "Oh, I'm sorry, it's not our fault that we were being chased by a cult of murderous criminals intent on raising the spirit of an ancient demon into Bob and, oh, I guess they were a little angry we interrupted their satanic ritual? Or maybe you want me to exaggerate on the fact that they should be in custody because they killed Oliver, but then he rose from the dead. Which part of that do you think sounds believable?"

Oliver twitched at the mention of his so called "resurrection." "I wasn't dead." He insisted. It was becoming an old argument. Brian caved easily because he knew how much it upset the priest to point out that yes he was. He pinched the bridge of his nose. Maybe there was something to be said for wishing things could be back to normal. God knew that Lero was always whining on about it.

"My point is that we can't tell a lawyer anything, even if there were one here." Brian tried after a moment. Oliver seemed to agree, if the eyebrow war he appeared to be having with Jay were any indicator.

Lero snorted, folding his arms over his chest and leaning precariously backwards in his chair. "Right, okay. Well, Oliver, was this all part of God's grand plan for us as well? Three to five years for property damage we can't afford to pay back, plus who knows how much for what they found in the van?"

Jay looked personally affronted, which was bullshit because Lero knew as well as anyone that Jay didn't believe in a God before they started on this so called grand adventure.

"Don't be a dick, Lero. And put your chair down, I think someone's coming." Bob said, interrupting before they could have a repeat of the great "Where's God" war of last Monday. Traitor.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 511
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Re: Thoughts That Breathe [L]

Postby crow » 07/08/2017 9:35 PM

((disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about law whatsoever))

Leo dragged a hand through his hair and resisted the urge to sigh.

He could hear his sister's voice already. 'What, Zhu-zhu, this wasn't what you wanted when you decided to work for a dinky local place?' Which... alright, she wasn't wrong, he probably should have seen this coming. But he always figured he'd mostly be shuffling papers or, at worst, talking to stressed-out debtors or people facing petty criminal charges. He hadn't expected the first thing out of his supervisor's mouth this morning to be, "Ah, Shen, good timing. We've got a client for you... Some kind of occult business?"

"Damn it. Sending an intern just because you didn't want to deal with some eccentrics..." He sighed after all, but straightened himself out as he approached the door to the small, cramped office he'd been allotted for the consultation. Intern or not, he had to look the part of a professional, even if he was working for a 'dinky local place'.

He breathed in, then out, before schooling his expression into a polite smile and walking through the door.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," he said, his voice as pleasant and insincere as his smile. Clearly they were in the middle of something--- assigning blame, like as not. "I'm Leo Shen; I'll be your consultant for today."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby Night » 07/08/2017 9:50 PM

Brian pushed his chair back and stood as their consultant - Leo apparently - pushed through the door, offering his hand. "Brian Voles, it's nice to meet you Mr. Shen." All business - not that Brian seemed to operate any other way. He was interrupted from whatever he intended to say by Lero loudly inserting himself into the conversation.

"We have no idea what property damage these people are talking about." He announced, earning a chagrined look from Brian and unbelieving glances from the rest of the party. Lero shrugged. "What, isn't that what you wanted, Brian?" They were going to have a talking to later, he already knew, but it was worth whatever the new guy thought about their case if it meant seeing the disbelieving look on Brian's face again.

Oliver went impossibly paler, and Bob leaned over to shove at Lero's shoulder and whisper something in his ear. Brian continued onwards. "I'm sorry about him, just ignore him. He's just a bit upset about the circumstances, is all. We didn't really plan to be spending the day in a lawyers office." He said, every bit of the slump of his shoulders screaming apologetic.

"We're very glad you're here though. Just tell me what you need from me and hopefully we can get this cleared up quickly." Brian gave his signature businessman smile. Oliver coughed, but otherwise remained silent. He kind of looked like he may be sick. Jay rubbed at his shoulder, trying to comfort him.

Lero at least seemed appropriately chagrinned - likely by whatever threats Bob had made. It didn't do much to change their situation, though. What were they even going to tell this guy?
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: Come to Crystal Palace on Forbidden Mountain in next 25 mins if you want to fight

Postby crow » 07/08/2017 10:21 PM

Leo had come in fully prepared--- or perhaps resigned--- to do the usual song and dance. It wasn't as if he hadn't done consulting before, on occasion. He was holding his hand out for Brian, who seemed to be acting as the face of the group, to shake; smiling still, ready to respond with some canned comment about looking forward to working with them, when something made him pause.

It was like sticking his fingers up an electric socket--- that sensation of demon in the room. It took all of his considerable self control not to twitch. He could feel the illusions on himself fading, which was bad, since they weren't even extravagant. Just enough to hide his horns, and his ears, and keep the strangeness out of his eyes. He bit his lip against the sensation and redoubled his energy into keeping them live, though it gave him a headache to do it. At least they held. It wasn't an attack so much as the shock and the... vehemence of the sensation.

A small-time local occult business for their small-time local firm. Right. And he was a monkey's uncle.

Leo retracted his hand. He wasn't smiling anymore. Leaning back, he fixed the four of them with an appraising look. "I'm not thoroughly familiar with the details of your case, but I'm afraid there's something I'd like to get out of the way first," he said. "I know the reputations that dog my profession, but I'd hoped you would have more respect for us than to bring a... guest like this." His gaze flicked over to one of the other men, the one who was positively radiating the aura that was threatening to give Leo a worse headache than the one he had.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 07/09/2017 1:22 AM

Brian had been fully prepared to do some backtracking to account for Lero's rather thoughtless statement, but it seemed that Leo hadn't actually heard it. Brian watched on, curious, as the man's smile gave way to something he wasn't sure how to place. "A guest?" His hand dropped to the side, handshake forgotten in light of confusion. A glance around told him what he already knew - they were the only ones there.

"I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean?" Lero noted that Brian was doing that thing with his eyebrows where they scrunched together and made him look way older than he was. He liked to think of it as some weird, business guy intimidation tactic.

Jay, who had silently maneuvered his chair to partially obscure his brother, became immediately defensive. "What, they didn't tell you there were five of us?  Seems like a pretty massive oversight for a law firm, if you ask me." He looked down at Oliver, seeking backup and finding that Oliver had gone unnaturally still, staring across the table at Leo with not a small amount of distaste. It was an uncomfortable reminder of the last week, the little ticks that Oliver had picked up since he came back that seemed so at odds with how he'd been before. They'd grown up together, and he couldn't think of a time when Oliver had ever looked at anything with such blatant animosity.

"Dude, are you alright?" Bob said, fair eyebrows disappearing somewhere towards his hairline.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 07/09/2017 2:09 AM

The way that they rallied around each other was impressive, in its own way. If he had been a different person, it might even have been touching. However, this was Leo, and he wasn't the touching type--- literally or figuratively. His frown only deepened, and his gaze grew sharp, as if in response to the glare Oliver was now leveling in his direction.

"Very well," he said,  one eyebrow raised. He didn't know how much of their ignorance was a ruse, but the one moving to shield the host had to be aware of something, at the very least. "Since you're clearly devoted to beating around the bush, I will say this: we do not deal with demons." He folded his arms on that. There, he had said it; now it lay like some vile thing in the air between them. "I don't know what kind of trouble you've found for yourselves, but we are not exorcists, and given your situation, I believe your most pressing concern lies with him." He indicated Oliver, this time with a motion of his hand, the other still tucked under his elbow. "When you've addressed your... visitor, we would be happy to help you with your legal troubles, but until then, you are wasting time--- yours and mine both."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 07/09/2017 2:57 AM

The group seemed to be in some sort of suspended animation, frozen for a brief moment in shock before they all seemed to bust back into the present simultaneously.

"There wasn't even really a demon, we were trying to stop them raising a demon and I guess they didn't take very well to it-" Lero was gesturing wildly with his hands as he spoke, drowned out by Brian's frantic "I have no idea what you're talking about! Demons, that's just -" and Jay's "Demon?! But he's a Priest! He can't be a demon if he's a priest! Plus he's my brother, I think I would know if he were a demon!" It was almost impossible to distinguish any one of them from the other.

Brian was the first to collect himself, shooting the other two a look that quieted their arguments instantly. "I think you really must be mistaken. How do you even know about this, anyway?" If anything of a supernatural nature was even remotely public knowledge, he was going to be pissed. They constantly went out of their way to ensure that they remained below the radar. He shook his head. "Regardless of that, it's impossible for Oliver to be a demon. He's a fucking Priest!" He gestured wildly in Oliver's direction, which didn't seem to make his point whatsoever.

Oliver's distinctive white collar was missing - likely lost in the turmoil at the hotel, which was just great because Brian had no idea where they would go to buy a new one. Lero had the Priest's Rosary knotted around his fingers, twisting it between them, and it wasn't as though Oli walked around wearing his church robes and a pointed bishops hat. For the most part, he really just looked like a normal dude, wearing his stupid eighties rock band shirt and black jeans. A bit unwashed, sure, but he couldn't say any of them were particularly clean. They did live in a van with four other dudes.

"And if you did know what you were talking about, and even remotely did your research, you would know that they found a bunch of shit in our van that really, really indicates that were aren't out palling around with demons. Quite the opposite, actually." Brian finished finally, seeming to realize that he was undermining his own statements by introducing Oliver as a person in argument. Particularly since he didn't appear to be blinking, and hadn't let up in his efforts to pin Leo with the nastiest look he could manage.

Oliver appeared to have reached some decision, leaning back in his chair with his hands still folded on the table. "I'm really not sure what he's talking about." Feigning innocence seemed the best option, here. He hardly had to lift a finger, since his companions seemed more than willing to play his case for him.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 07/16/2017 7:19 PM

The cacophony that ensued after Leo made his statement almost made him regret opening his mouth. Almost. He hadn't missed the flicker of shrewdness that passed over the so-called priest's face before he gave his own statement. Privately, Leo thought he must not have been much of a priest to end up possessed himself, but that was none of his business. Whatever little occult game they were playing, they'd attracted the attention of the real thing.

This wasn't something their firm could deal with. More to the point, it wasn't something he wanted to deal with, and if his boss knew what was good for him, he wouldn't have wanted it either. "If you don't believe me, feel free to run your own tests," he said, stern-faced but still formal, though he doubted they would do that either. He had plenty of experience with how little people liked to look at evidence that contradicted their own beliefs.

"However, as far as our business is concerned, we reserve the right to refuse service for any reason. I'm afraid, gentlemen, that the consultation is over." He smiled a tight, humorless smile and gestured toward the door. "You're welcome to find help elsewhere, however. I could give you the card of one of my colleagues." It might be fun, actually, to pass them onto some of their more unpleasant rivals. Leo didn't consider himself above that sort of thing.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/02/2017 1:14 AM

Brian held up his hands in some mockery of surrender. "Let's not get crazy, here. We've already paid your consultation fees, and I don't want this to be an issue. If it's what it takes, we'll prove it." He wasn't even sure why this was a question, honestly. Why would they go about pretending that Oliver was a priest if he weren't? And if they weren't pretending, it wasn't like a priest could even be possessed, right? There had to be some kind of protection from that sort of shit if you were doing the holy dirty work, surely.

He extended a hand to Lero, nodding towards the rosary coiled tight around the other man's fingers when all he received was a blank stare. Lero pulled them close to his chest, evidently hesitant to let them go - which Brian did take note of to remark on later, given Frankie's marked atheism. Eventually he conceded, unwinding the wooden beads from around his scarred fingers and dropping them in the center of Brian palm.

Bob scooted his chair out of the way, natural intuition (and blatant common sense) telling him what was going on. Jay wasn't as abiding, hugging close to Oliver's side as though shielding him from the purple-eyed man. "Cut it out, Brian! Why should we have to prove anything to this guy?" Jay's eyes flickered towards Leo, scrutinizing. "We don't know him and we don't owe him shit."

Brian was undeterred. "I'm not paying someone else legal fees, and what does it hurt? If he's not a demon then why should it matter?"

Oliver remained silent, unblinking as Brian shoved his way past Jay. He settled his gaze on his brother over Brian's shoulder, quirking his eyebrows upwards and staring him down. Jay remained frozen for a moment, a puzzled expression gracing his features, and then sprang into action - moving to wrestle the cross out of the other man's hands. Bob was across the room in moments, moving far quicker than one might expect one of his size and stature to manage. His arms came cage-like around Jay's chest, holding him in place as Brian pressed the cross into the center of Oliver's forehead.

A sound like metal ripping from the hull of a ship fell from Oliver's mouth, his hands wrapping around Brian's wrists and fingernails digging in. He shoved Brian away, throwing him into the table between themselves and Leo, leaving nothing save a crucifix shaped welt and the smell of burnt flesh to show that he'd been touched.

"Hey guys, I think Oliver might be possessed by a demon or something." Lero piped up helpfully.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/09/2017 1:24 AM

Leo arched a brow at Brian's words, though he didn't say anything just yet, content--- for a given value of the word, anyway--- to look on as the assembled men made arrangements among themselves to... 'prove' that their friend was not, in fact, possessed. That there was already some dissent among their ranks wasn't really helping their case, but he may as well see how it would play out. Maybe if he was lucky, they'd shoot themselves in the foot somehow, and make his job easier.

... Yeah, right. As if anything about this day was going to make itself easier for him.

But whatever he'd been thinking was dashed from his mind as soon as he saw the beginnings of Jay's lunge. Leo tensed--- though what he thought he might do, he didn't know--- and then there was that god-awful sound---

"That is enough," he said coldly. He reached out a hand to help the man who had been thrown into the table, his mouth drawn in a stern line. It was clear that the situation was completely out of his hands now, but what else could be done? He hadn't expected for things to take such an abrupt turn.

At least they wouldn't doubt the truth of his words now, he hoped.

"I hope, given that you have now managed to damage some of our property, that you are sufficiently satisfied with how much of my time you've wasted. The door is that way," he said, indicating it with a gesture. "I'll see you out."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/09/2017 2:32 AM

This certainly presented an unforeseen problem. Brian was not exactly accustomed to unplanned circumstances, given that planning was the majority of his life. Who could have guessed that a priest could be possessed by some sort of demon, though? Sometimes, Brian sincerely missed their photography business. The worst they'd had to deal with then had been expecting mothers and bridezillas. Nothing supernatural whatsoever, and wow, he'd never expected that to even be an issue in his life. How did they get to this point?

Oliver - or, what they were assuming was still Oliver and not some sort of manifestation or possession of a dead body, because that would be hard to explain to Jay's mother - had gone supernaturally still. Brian wasn't sure if he preferred it over the hulk-smash version that they had witnessed less than a minute prior, or if it were even more disconcerting. What the hell were they supposed to do now?

He accepted Leo's help up, brushing himself off. His admission of wrongful accusation was lost beneath Lero's outburst of, "You can't seriously be making us leave over this?! We've already paid you!" Which honestly wasn't helping their case. As Leo had ever so kindly pointed out, he did have the right to refuse service. Hopefully that refusal came with a refund, but he wouldn't hold his breath.

Bob had already stood, looming over Oliver as though he would be able to stop any additional outbursts. Jay just seemed stunned, looking between Bob and his brother as though one of them had severely betrayed him. And Lero... well. At least he didn't seem as though he were going to put up too much more protest. He didn't want to be here in the first place, after all.

Fortunately, they were saved from deciding what they would do ultimately by the arrival of a rather unwelcome guest. The window of the office seemed to explode inwards, sending a litany of class flying across the floor. A mass of writhing, grey-cloaked figures began to wrestle through the opening.  "As a counter offer, I suggest we run." Brian did at least have the human decency to suggest a plan before enacting it, giving Bob ample time to grab Oliver by the wrists and follow after as he bolted through the door. Jay was close behind, leaving Frankie to grab Leo by the wrists and drag him along.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/11/2017 1:22 AM

Leo sighed; now that the office was in disarray, his composure was beginning to slip too, and by this point he was too eager to get this over with to care. "I will consult with my boss about refunding your fee," he said. It wasn't as if he could do anything more. His boss was not going to be happy about this, especially since Leo couldn't exactly explain about the whole demon issue. Speaking of conversations he didn't want to have.

Then the glass shattered. Leo's arm went up to shield his face, almost to slow. He felt a thread of pain radiating from his arm--- the suit, he thought--- but there was no time to register that either. He was being pulled into a run by one of the men. Another had said something, but Leo hadn't been paying attention.

"Are those people?" he asked, half angry and half incredulous. He'd glimpsed red on their robes and on the glass before they'd gotten out the door and started running in earnest. And he couldn't sense anything from them--- he would have known if it were more demons. "What did you do?!"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/11/2017 2:10 AM

Their options for running and or hiding were admittedly slim. They'd already caused a significant amount of property damage - both here and in other places, hence the reason they were here - and honestly Brian wasn't sure how they were going to get out of this one. Likely they needed to get to a church and perform an exorcism, apparently, and their resident priest was now thoroughly incapable. They were going to have to call the Cardinal.

When this was all over, he was taking a vacation. He came to an intersection in the hallway and honestly couldn't even recall how to get to the front door. Stopping was a non-option, so he turned left and hoped for the best. Bob followed tight on his heels, wrestling a struggling Oliver in front of him. It wasn't the most difficult of tasks, given their relative size ratio, but Oliver was surprisingly quick and evidently very dedicated to his escape.

Frankie slammed the office door behind them, hoping it may provide some semblance of a deterrent. It may slow them down for a moment, at the least. He took off after the sound of the other's footsteps, falling into stride with Leo. With any luck his crappy lungs wouldn't give out.

He was already panting and breathless when he responded to Leo's question. "Cultists. Not a big deal." Fuck he was not cut out for running. Worst part of the job, easily. He could see Jay turning the corner up in front of them now and followed suit, hoping that they'd at least make it outside before they had any more unfortunate run-ins. The sound of bodies hitting walls and footsteps behind him suggested it was not very likely. "I guess they probably want Oliver." He wheezed. "Sorry 'bout your office, dude."

What else was there to say?
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/11/2017 3:17 AM

Leo's first thought, absurdly, was to insist that it wasn't his office, he was just an intern--- but he ignored it, as someone with a healthy sense of self preservation did. He ran in the same direction as the others because there was only one direction to run at all. As they rounded the corner, he could hear the rattling of the doorknob.

He swore, and swore again at the sound of something splintering. Stopping in his tracks, he turned back so he was facing the hall.

The door was very nearly cracked in two. The cultists had made an impromptu battering ram out of a decorative table, and the wood had been old. They were now pushing past the wreckage with that same disregard for their own bodies with which they'd approached the broken window. Seeing them bloody their hands made Leo sick, but that was all the more reason to put an end for it quickly.

Fuck. He really hadn't wanted to do this.

Frowning slightly, he concentrated. The cultists' movements slowed, then stopped for a moment. Good, thought Leo, it was working, everything was fine, it was--- But then they began again, redoubling their efforts, and Leo's expression faltered. Some of them were writhing against one another now, some of the robes coming off, but others were clawing determinedly towards him. He took a step back, grimaced, sucking in a breath through his teeth, and tried again. How the hell did Vivi do this?

This time the effect was immediate. The still-approaching cultists recoiled in shock, and scrambled backwards.

"Hurry up and get out!" Leo called over his shoulder. He didn't know if he had to stay for the magic to hold. As he spoke, however, he could feel a slight tingling sensation passing over his face, his hands--- the glamor. The glamor, he realized, was failing.

Horns, odd eyes, his elongated, pointed ears. The whole damn freak-show was on display right now for everyone to see. This day was just getting better and better.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Night » 10/11/2017 4:06 AM

Aesoth had been biding his time, confident the useless fools accompanying his host were incapable of stalling his release forever. It seemed he had miscalculated; he hadn't foreseen being found out quite so soon. When the feeble human body in which he was contained proved too weak to break free, he decided to use a different tactic.

Oliver stilled, his wrists going lax in Bob's grip. "You're such a good dog, Bob, doing whatever your masters tell you. Does it make up for what they say behind your back?" His voice was honey sweet. Division within a group had caused the downfall of far more superior foes than these.

Bob remained silent, his grip iron tight over the delicate bones of the priest's wrists. Oliver turned his attention to Brian, smirking. "And you. Couldn't make it to the big time, so you'll just take what you can get, huh? Tagging along on your friends adventures in the hope they won't forget you. Pathetic."

They were still moving towards the door, faster now that Oliver was putting up less resistance. Brian tried not to focus on the insults, shoving his way through the front door and out onto the street. "We're going to have to tie him up and get him to the church. Someone needs to call the Cardinal, he needs to meet us there." Jay nodded, producing his cell phone while Bob did his best to restrain his brother in the back of the van.

The sudden lack of noise from behind them was enough of an encouragement for Lero to slow to a stop, resting his palms over his knees and gasping for air as he tried not to throw up. Being told to run was worth only so much when self preservation actually did include being able to breathe. In his peripheral vision he could see Leo, almost unrecognizable now.

"What the actual fuck." While he was grateful for the intervention, he was really not sure how many more plot twists he could handle in one day. At least he'd mostly gotten his breath back. There were definitely questions to be answered. "What are you doing? We gotta go. Come on!"

He couldn't just leave the guy that was saving their ass here to deal with the aftermath. Leo grabbed for Leo's wrist once again, trying not to be too taken aback by his sudden transformation as he worked to haul him towards the door.
Night
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Next