Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Re: Tricks of the Trade [Self] [M][L]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/02/2020 6:19 PM

A cold breeze whirled around her, and a chill ran through her, at the sight of the open expanse of campsite which appeared to be empty. She felt herself begin to tremble, and it was all she could do to close the door and slide the bolt shut, before collapsing in a heap on the floor.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2201
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/02/2020 6:20 PM

She didn't understand where the sudden fear had come from; she had been fine, happy even, mildly sweating from her cleaning, and had simply wanted to brush the dust out and clean the steps, which were the last things she intended to clean. Why had she had such a bad reaction to being exposed to the outside?
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/02/2020 6:21 PM

She went over to the living room window, and pushed it open, but her hand trembled too much to open the shutters, and she realised with a start that she had a very serious problem - how was she supposed to perform in front of a crowd in the ring if she couldn't step foot outside her caravan?

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/02/2020 6:23 PM

She closed the window again, and sighed, turning to rest her back against the wall before sliding down against it to sit on the floor. What would the Seamstress say? All her hard work, and supportive talk, all for nothing. And the Ringmaster? Would he even let her stay on with the circus?

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/02/2020 6:24 PM

She refused to allow herself to even think of how Orion would react - Orion, who had put his own career on hold, and then dangled it on the line again for her; Orion, who had opened up his home - and his heart, just a little - when she needed it most.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/02/2020 6:25 PM

She couldn't bear the thought of him being disappointed in her, or of telling her to leave their home - the first time she had called it that, even to herself, she realised - in disgust or despair. Or even worse, the idea that he would just accept it and go back to basic maintenance duties.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/02/2020 6:27 PM

She thought about running away, briefly, but it was impossible - she was trapped in their shared caravan, unable to leave, as there would be no problem in the first place if she could step outside without having a breakdown. She began to shake again, and the tears came, unbidden, flowing down her cheeks as she sobbed quietly into her folded arms.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/07/2020 7:53 AM

Much later that day, Orion walked in to find her day at the table with puffy eyes and a screwed-up pile of tissues beside her. Concerned, he stepped forward and knelt down to look into her face.

"What's happened?" he asked, gently turning her face from side to side to check for damage. "Did someone get in?"

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/07/2020 7:56 AM

Yvaine burst into tears. How could she tell him what was happening to her? She knew she had to try, so she tried to call herself, but all that happened was she began to hiccup through her sobs.

Orion was now fully concerned, and he drew her against his chest and held her close, looking around to see what had been disturbed.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/07/2020 7:58 AM

"No-one got in - No-one so much as tried. I tried to clean the steps but I can't leave the caravan - I had a panic attack as soon as I opened the door! How am I supposed to perform if I cannot leave our home?" She sobbed, inconsolable, into his chest and Orion squeezed her gently.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/07/2020 8:22 AM

Her tried to ignore the happiness he had felt when she described it as ' their home's and focused instead on calming her, until all that was left were the hiccups.

"We'll figure it out" he promised, hugging her close and drying her tears with his shirt; he was genuinely surprised, as the last few times she had left with him there hadn't seemed to be a problem.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/07/2020 8:24 AM

This gave him an idea, and he gently tugged her hands to get her on her feet, before he led her to the door.

"Trust me" he said, as he threw the door open and began walking down the steps, fingers entwining with hers.

Yvaine followed, reluctant yet astonished at the change, for there was only reluctance - no panic - with him by her side.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous