Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

[Event] Hit the Road, Jack [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 8:03 PM

[Stray]

The boy exhaled, long and harrowed, as he finally straightened up to view his work. His lettering was a little sloppy; 'FINE WARES AND EXOTIC ITEMS FOR SALE'. The paint was thin, and cheap. It would need a second, perhaps third coat... A drip from his brush plipped into the bucket of paint, a tiny sound nearly lost among the increasing crowd. It seemed setting up early was no safe haven from the press of festival-goers, nor was it much reprieve from the incredible heat of the sun.

Stray licked his lips, dry, and gazed off longingly towards an open tent where drinks were being sold, filled to the rim with ice chunks and fruit.

Thievery would be too difficult, in this sparse, but noisy crowd. That, and all of his hanging out around his self proclaimed guardian had grown him a healthy conscience to contrast the older bandit's schemes. He was an honest worker, for all intents and purposes today. He hadn't stolen the goods they were selling. Shyster had.

Plus, getting caught for stealing a fruity drink was a pretty piss-poor reason to get thrown out of the festival. He pulled his hat off and slicked back his wild mess of dark hair, then hurriedly replaced it on his head.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 506
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: [Event] Hit the Road, Jack [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 8:07 PM

The booth space that Shyster had managed to (legally) procure (he assured) was nothing impressive. Nestled between two much larger spaces--one even looked like some sort of petting zoo-to-be, with two Yingshee already tied up at a post with troughs of water near them.

Even the livestock got water. Why not him? Stray grimaced and furrowed his brow as a bead of sweat dripped down his face. He'd kick Shyster's ass for this. Stray had gotten past the point of worrying whether or not the bandit would abandon him. Shyster simply wouldn't. And if he did, Stray was confident he'd be able to survive on his own. But all of that being said, a hearty asskicking was still very much in order for forcing Stray to handle the legwork while Shyster transported their product by hired (perhaps hitchhiked) delivery car.

There really wasn't much else for Stray to do than to distract himself with a second coat. The hot sun had already dried the first round of painting enough to warrant another.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 10:20 PM

If nothing else, the booth was located near a rather sturdy-looking shade tree. The trajectory of the sun, however, was not particularly helpful. Shade lay tantalizingly close, a mere ten feet away, but it would be impossible to work on the sign from there. The second coat of paint was in the works, when out of nowhere, a solid thunking sound hit Stray's ears.

His head jerked up to stare at the lumpy form of an apple core, seeds plucked out, laying sideways on the flat of the booth. Immediately Stray's eyes darted to the tree's branches, and lo and behold, a familiar face gazed back down at him with a loose, lazy smile.
[Shanty]

"Heya," drawled a black-haired boy from his perch on the branch, legs swinging slowly where they hung down. Stray squinted up into the shade, thankful at least that the sun wasn't in his eyes--but then again, perhaps it would be preferable to having to address the other boy. "How's tricks, buddy?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 10:25 PM

Stray's brows lowered to a glower, and he pursed his lips to blow a few strands of hair out of his eyes. Not much luck there. "The heck are you doing here?" Stray muttered, batting the apple core off of the booth and onto the grass nearby. Some bird or rodent would probably pick it up later.

"Enjoying the festivities, like anyone else. Why, am I not allowed?" the boy quipped, folding one leg over the other and leaning his weight on a hand. Stray could see now that he had two more apples wrapped in a sash around his waist--or at least two round objects, and a flash of shimmering red. His mouth watered slightly--the heat really was getting to him. At least he'd be done soon, and he could go find something to eat and drink. He wasn't above begging.

"No Shanty, not in my tree." Stray thoughtlessly waved his hand, and Shanty's glittering eyes widened with a delighted grin. Stray realized his mistake immediately.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 11:28 PM

"Ohhh, your tree!" Shanty trilled with delight, and Stray groaned, tempting to pick up the apple core and chuck it at the boy above him. "Well, I had no idea you'd become a squirrel recently. It's prime real estate, this tree, I imagine it took you years of saved up acorns to buy it."

"Mmmmhm," Stray dignified him with only as much response to block out his chattering for the most part. It didn't last long. "So many acorns."

Stray lapsed into silence, focusing on painting, and after a moment there was a flutter of leaves as feet hit the ground. Shanty reached into his sash and pulled out an apple, setting it on the booth and reaching out to pat down the puffball on the tip of Stray's knit hat. "Well, keep your strength up. That old thief's working you hard, huh?"

Stray grimaced and scoffed, shrugging his shoulders. "It's... something. You know."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 11:32 PM

There was, of course, a lot unsaid. Shanty seemed to understand, though, and for a few moments, he dropped his smirk and looked over at Stray with a soft look on his face. "Yeah. It's something." It was a place, a home, even if a moving one. Shanty had never desired such a thing, not really. Independence meant a lot to him, even if it meant being joined at Stray's hip when they were younger.

Now... they were still young. But it had gotten easier. It had gotten easier, yes, but Shanty would be lying if he said he didn't miss the boy.

Stray had finished his painting, then sat back on his heels, sighing and hanging his head. Shanty sensed some distress. Quietly, he moved closer, and crouched down beside the other, touching a hand to Stray's back. When the boy didn't move away, Shanty's hand moved further to hook an arm around Stray's thin shoulders. "You're making money, yeah? That's a good thing. Really admirable. Better than stealing. Well--" Shanty paused at the dirty look that Stray shot him. "Better than stealing it yourself. You're a few steps ahead of me, just from that."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 11:38 PM

Stray stared at him for a moment, then rolled his eyes. For being one year older than him, Shanty sure acted like a dumb kid most of the time. He reached for the apple, and lightly tilted his head to let it thunk and rest against Shanty's cheek.

He was a comfort. Stray hated being alone, really, he did. He liked to think he'd cut it as a wanderer, all on his own, but the idea frightened him. It frightened him just being at the festival without Shyster of all people by his side. The bandit had become a kind of constant in his life for the past few years.

Stray bit into the apple, after a fashion, and Shanty's eyes shone with mirth. "Anything else baby bird wants that this mama bird could go find? Some nice worms?" he pipped, and Stray elbowed him hard in the ribs. Shanty let out a rough cackle, and sighed, just sitting for a few more moments. "Sorry. I'll hush up."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 11:42 PM

"S'better than crowd noise," Stray admitted, and Shanty chuckled, rubbing under his nose with a free hand. Stray took another bite, suddenly ravenous. "Where's your mandolin, anyway?"

"Left it back at the hideout. It's safe there... can't risk getting it mugged off of me," Shanty mused, and Stray let out a small, incredulous noise.

"Who'd want that busted old thing, anyway? Not that it isn't great in your hands," he added, and Shanty was surprised by the brief, genuine compliment. "But I'm pretty sure you could've brought it." Stray frowned, and took another large bite, slowly relaxing his tense shoulders. It was sweaty, the space between his back and Shanty's arm, but it was a different kind of warmth than the unforgiving sun.

"You wanna hear it that badly, huh?" Shanty grinned, and Stray elbowed him a second time, albeit much softer.

"Never said that."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 11:48 PM

Shanty just smiled as Stray finished the apple, then suddenly let go of the smaller boy and stood up. He dusted off his pants, and reached into his pocket for something. Stray would have missed it if not for the light glinting off of it. Gold. "Y'wanna know what I found out?" he began, his voice a little sharper and louder, purposefully trying to be heard. Stray figured ignoring him would be bad, so he turned his face up to the other, raising a brow as he chewed his last bite. "Bound couples can get some free things, here and there. It's that sort of festival. I was thinking... if you're not in the thieving mood..."

"Shyster will be back soon. I ought not to leave... Well actually, he might be awhile, but someone might steal the sign," Stray murmured, his words meandering and unfocused as he felt color rise in his cheeks. Tying himself to the other boy? No. He had no desire to even play at that kind of thing.

"You think someone would want to steal a shoddy old sign?" Shanty grinned wide as he threw Stray's words back at him. "Not that it isn't a fine paint job... Come on, now," he murmured, reaching out a hand, golden thread coiled in his other. "You're hungry, I'm hungry. Let's go weasel some folks out of some delicious food... perfectly legally." The wink that accompanied it made something small, but rather loud and mischievous rise up in Stray.

He smiled, finally, and set his apple core down beside the other. Shanty suddenly grabbed it and stuffed it into his bag. "For the seeds," he informed Stray's incredulous look. "Long story."

"I've got time. S'pecially if we're getting tied together."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2019 11:53 PM

Shanty's brows raised at that, before his whole face seemed to light up. In not too much time, he'd managed to link their wrists together with just enough leeway to not be tight. The golden thread shimmered as Shanty pulled Stray into the crowd, his knuckles brushing the other boy's, rough from long-healed street fight wounds. Stray remembered them. What a sunny boy Shanty had turned out to be, he thought with a small smile.

And he, so gloomy. Stray sighed through his nose and tried to pick up the pace just a little bit. As Shanty stopped at a place selling fruity parfaits, he felt a small flicker of thankfulness in his heart.

Best to look the part, then. He gently wrapped his free arm around Shanty's, putting on a cute, charming smile. Something fitting of a fifteen year old in love. "Ahh, honey, can we get the strawberry one?" he asked, leaning his cheek on Shanty's shoulder.

Shanty picked it up immediately, putting on a loose smile. "Aw, I suppose so... but I was reeeeally hoping for blueberry. We got strawberry last time, didn't we?"

"Mm, we did... we did, you're right. Aw... I guess I'll have to wait til next year," Stray sighed, letting a slip of sadness touch his voice.

[Wild Pet Found]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/12/2019 11:42 PM

The man selling the fruity parfaits blinked at the 'couple's conversation, and glanced at the large tub of cream he was using to make the drinks. After a small sigh through his nose, he smiled and started making two of them, and promptly handed it to the two boys. "Here you go. One for each of you--just pay the kindness forward, yeah?"

Stray felt a small twinge of guilt, but it was smoothed over by Shanty's delighted laugh. "Much obliged, my good man! We'll be sure to!" Shanty led the both of them out of the shade of the tent and into the sun, looking around for a bench. It was still early enough in the day that there were a few open.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/12/2019 11:44 PM

"Guess the one drawback is we can't eat and walk at the same time, tied together like this," Stray mused, holding the small spoon he'd been given with his pinky finger, the rest of his hand holding tight to the freezing cold glass that held his dessert. He sat down gingerly on the bench, then scooted up to Shanty's side to put the parfait down on the bench next to him.

"Eeeh, just gives us an excuse to sit and take a load off," he mused, flexing his wrist and fingers a bit. Stray felt his cheeks warm as Shanty's hand moved against his own, and he cleared his throat, dipping a spoon into his parfait.

"Guess so. Hey--I actually did want a bite of that blueberry one," he said, wrinkling his nose in a grin.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/13/2019 4:42 PM

Shanty looked over with the spoon in his mouth, squinting an eye. "Oh no, I'm not letting you weasel me out of my hard-earned reward, sneaky minx," he joked, and Stray scoffed at him, playfully elbowing him in the side.

"Says the guy who still steals on the regular," Stray dropped his voice low so passersby wouldn't hear, and Shanty's fake annoyance melted into an acquiescent smile.

"Got me there."

Shanty carefully scooped up some of the blueberry treat into his spoon and held it out for Stray. The boy took the spoon--or tried to, but Shanty held it out of the way slightly. "Ah-ah--we're supposed to be a couple, right? Open up," he jiggled the spoon a little, one blueberry precariously on the edge of falling out of its bed of whipped cream.

No time for arguing, then, Stray thought, as he dipped forward and grabbed the spoon in his mouth to save the falling fruit.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate