Once a grand cathedral dedicated to the Holy Triumvirate, all that remains now are ruins ever since the religion was rejected strongly in 1823. While the religion is back in favor, the cathedral was never restored. (+3 Defense, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lya Pointa Cathedral

Is There Anybody There? [m]

Postby Mousen » 07/17/2014 2:51 PM

They almost hadn't come. Indie had called in sick, Vernice had home work, and J.P. was otherwise engaged (they were being paid for doing a seance for some rich widow in Aldrect), and now as if to add insult to injury, Harold was late. It left just the two of them in the echoing chambers of Lya Point Cathedral.

To a ghost hunter, the legends, rumors and warnings surrounding this place, as well as the rather seedy folk that were sometimes seen entering or leaving the cathedral were not a sign that one should stay away from a place like this, no. Instead, they spoke only of potential. As such, Jess was feeling rather optimistic as he set up the equipment.  There wasn't enough of them to justify setting up more than one separate camera, which was placed at the back of the cathedral, facing through the nave. Both he and Nick also had their own, smaller hand-held cameras. The green and white display made them look pale and ghost-like.

"Did you set up the tape recorder?" A flashlight flickered briefly in Jess's direction as Nick turned to speak.

"Affirmative. Did you want to wait for Harold before starting?" Jess returned in his usual clipped tones. A moneyed voice that was in contrast to the rougher accent of his female friend.

Nick rolled her eyes, though nobody could see it in the dark. "Unless you want to be here all night. Let's keep this short and sweet. If he turns up, he turns up." He'd probably gotten himself into a mood again, it was just like Harold not to turn up if he thought no one else was going to. It didn't surprise Nick in the least that he was late.

Jess looked around hesitantly, as if expecting their absent friend to materialize out of the gloom. Upon finding no such person, he seemed to resolve himself to continuing, fishing a small black box out of the pocket of his coat. "EMF session first?"

"Uh, yeah, sure."

He placed the detector on the floor, and sat down on a large piece of fallen masonry. Nick followed his lead. "So," Jess began, clearing his thought. "Is there anybody there?"

((I'd rather not have more than one other person in this RP, thanks for understanding! uwu))

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Is There Anybody There? [OPEN]

Postby zapdragon555 » 07/30/2014 11:45 AM

[Mind if I hop in?]

Click for human form!
Winston was a long way from home.

But then, he had come to assume, so were his crewmates. He wasn't sure how much time had passed; years? Decades? Surely not centuries... Regardless, he hadn't seen any of his crew's ghosts show up at the Silver Osprey, no matter how long he'd waited. Too much time had passed, and the old cargo ship had started decaying, and the cold storage that held their bodies was beginning to malfunction something terrible, and all in all, Winston had decided that a more aggressive approach was in order.

He was going to find their ghosts, and then they'd all move on together. That was the plan, at least.

The cathedral had looked very old, and to Winston, that was a good sign. Captain Owens had always been a very religious man; maybe he'd found refuge here. But after spending a few days in the dark, crumbling structure, Winston was beginning to have his doubts.

That is, until he heard those two voices. Winston wasn't sure whether to leap up in joy or hide when he heard those unfamiliar voices. They belonged to children, for one thing. Not his captain. But perhaps they'd seen Owens. It wasn't too far out of the question, Winston decided. Slowly he drifted down from his spot in the rafters of the old place–he'd taken to resting under the large bell in the tallest tower, so he could have a view of the place–and listened closely for the voice again. He definitely sensed someone was in there... two people. Just two? Usually entire groups of people had come poking around the Silver Osprey, and Winston had chased them off, despite how lonely it got on that old decaying ship. Finally, he called out a soft, "Hello?" his voice thin from lack of use.

[1]

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Mousen » 07/30/2014 4:00 PM

((Yeah, that's fine!))

For a short while, there was nothing. Not the faintest sound (save for the wind blowing through cracks in the masonry, save for the faint rustling of leaves or small rodents), not the briefest flicker of lights on the detector. They were patient, however, and not deterred. This, after all, was how almost all of their investigations began.

Nick was just about to call out, when the lights flickered and there was a sharp intake of breath from Jess. Nick looked across to him, surprised. It took more than an EMF reading to shock that boy.

"You didn't hear it?" His voice was just above a whisper and his eyes were shining.

"Hear what?" This was going to be good.

"A voice."

Jess steadied himself, not daring to think too hard about what he'd just heard, for fear that even this much might frighten it away. There had been investigations where they'd only had one significant event like this, the rest of the night spent trying and failing to replicate it. There had been others, too, and Jess could only hope that this was the latter. "Hello. Could you speak a little bit louder, please? We just want to talk. Could you tell us what your name is?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby zapdragon555 » 07/30/2014 4:21 PM

Winston blinked at the response, and he drifted in that direction, looking around for the two boys. His name... No one had ever asked for his name since he died. Really no one had asked for his name since he'd enlisted... Putting those thoughts away, Winston stopped where he was, the outline of his body barely visible by the soft glowing green it put off. He cleared his throat and raised his voice a bit. "Yeah... uh, name's Winston. Winston O'Malley," he answered, then caught sight of the two boys in the main hall of the cathedral, and his eyes widened slightly. These were just kids! Brave kids, Winston thought, a small smile on his face. He himself wouldn't be caught dead in a place like this when he was alive. "At your service. What can I do for you?"

[2]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Mousen » 08/02/2014 4:34 AM

This time, Nick didn't need the flashing lights on the EMF detector to know that there was something going on, she heard it for herself. She felt tiny shivers of excitement run down her neck. It had been a long time since they'd made any proper contact. You'd think, the odd days when something happened, something odd or strange, would be enough. But it never was. The more time that was placed between you an the incident, the less real it felt and the more you wanted something to happen again. If only to confirm your previous experiences.

Jess was trying not to grin. They still had no idea of this spirits intentions. They had to tread carefully. His breath caught in his throat as he tried to answer, he exhaled, amused at his own apprehension and tried again. "My name is Jess Croup. My friend here is Nick Lazenby. It's very nice to be able to speak to you, Sir." Being polite never hurt.

Nick caught Jess's gaze and gestured towards a soft green light that seemed to be coming from just behind one of the walls. It was only visible due to it being so dark within the cathedral itself.

"At your service. What can I do for you?"

"We just wanted to speak to you, if that's all right. We just want to learn a little bit more about you." Nick replied.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Is There Anybody There?

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/02/2014 10:41 AM

[Oops I misgendered Nick, sorry about that!]

"Sir?" Winston almost laughed, incredulous. Boy, what polite kids. Winston was hardly a sir, but the sentiment sent a small happiness to his face as he smiled and finally poked his head out of his hiding place to look at the two kids fully, his white eyes shining. "Huh, is that all? Well gee, I wouldn't mind sitting and talking for a spell. Oh, also, please don't run away," he quickly added, recoiling a few inches back into the wall. "I know I look kinda scary. Or... at least I assume I do. Because I get that a lot, and..." Winston trailed off, realizing he was chattering up a storm, and he swallowed down his words, peeking out from behind the wall again and smiling somewhat nervously.

[3]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 08/05/2014 11:18 AM

((That's okay. uwu))

"We'd just like to learn a little bit more about you and your experiences, if that's okay, Mr. O'Malley." Jess replied evenly, watching curiously as the glow got more intense, then faded slightly.

Nick nodded. "Don't worry, we don't get scared easy. We do this sort of thing all the time. Trust me, you can't be any worse than those freaky shadow things--"

"Nick!" Jess hissed, blanching visibly. He did not want a conversation about them here. The boy still had the scars on his arms from his one truly terrifying encounter with the paranormal. Mentioning it here was almost like inviting it in. Not a good thing to do.

"Sorry," she whispered back.

Then, Winston peered from around the wall. Jess's anxiety was immediately replaced with excitement, his eyes were as wide as saucers and his mouth hung open slightly. Nick wasn't much different, but recovered herself quick enough to elbow her companion in the ribs. Jess turned to look at her and they exchanged grins.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/06/2014 8:36 PM

"Experiences? Hoo, golly, alright then," Winston chuckled, rubbing his nose with a finger, unable to keep the somewhat bashful smile off his face. He came out of his hiding place fully, walking towards the two kids, though his feet made no sound on the floor as he grinned. "I don't know anything about freaky shadow something-or-others, but I'll answer a couple of questions, if you like. It's been frightful lonesome, anyway," he admitted, happy to run his mouth after so long.

[4]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 08/07/2014 5:01 PM

"That's okay, Mr. O'Malley." Jess assured quickly. "We already know enough about those for a lifetime." He was clearly eager to drop the subject, and was awkwardly fiddling with the hem of his coat.

Nick noticed this, and quickly pressed on. They may never get an opportunity like this again. To have a ghost just stood in front of them, talking was amazing, despite all they'd seen. Harold was going to be sorry he missed this. "Let's start with the basics, then? Can you tell us what your life was like? You don't have to go into too much detail if you don't want to."

Jess nodded. "Whatever you feel comfortable sharing."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/09/2014 1:43 PM

Winston blinked at that, then smiled a little bemusedly and scratched his head at Jess' nervous posture. Deciding to drop it, he looked down at the two kids with an easy expression. "Oh, alright, hum... Well, for starters, I grew up on a little ranch in the western part of Seduki with my ma and pa and gramps. And my dog Harvey," he added quickly, as if remembering it suddenly, his white eyes brightening a little. "My ma was the sweetest thing you'll ever meet, and she made the best peach ice cream, like..." He trailed off for a moment, looking a little subdued suddenly, before he seemed to ratchet back to life--figuratively--and looked at Jess and Nick with a rueful grin. "Pa wasn't so nice."

[5]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 08/31/2014 4:17 PM

((I'm so sorry for keeping you waiting. :ccc This post is kinda scattered, so, sorry about that too, I guess. heh;; ))

Jess was wishing that he had something to write this down with, not that he would have been able to see in the dark. With any luck, their recorders would pick this all up. They were good ones, he knew that much. It had been, after all, Jess who had found the money for all of this equipment. (Not that it mattered to him, anyway, money wasn't in short supply in the Croup household.) He nodded attentively as Winston spoke.

Ice cream? Hm, it wasn't a dish that was popular until the turn of the century, but even then, only by the obscenely rich. It wouldn't be until... twenty or thirty years later that it became available to the masses. An interesting footnote, certainly.

Nick, however, was more concerned about the comment Winston made about his father. Her expression was difficult to read. "I wasn't so keen on my dad either." He'd been out of her life for a long time, though. Thank goodness. Jess leaned over and have her shoulder a quick squeeze, the gesture seemed more familial and reassuring than romantic.

Deciding that it was best to keep moving, the dark-haired boy prompted. "If a subject makes you uncomfortable, you can skip over it. Don't worry, Mr. O'Malley."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/03/2014 6:01 PM

((It's totally fine! c:))

Winston seemed to have been lost in thought for a moment, then blinked to attention when Jess spoke. He grinned, raising his hands almost defensively. "Oh no, this is fine. I like talking about it. Helps me remember things, y'know?" he chuckled lightly, then blinked once, then finally decided to sit down so that he was more eye-level with the kids, crossing his legs though he still barely hovered off the ground. "Anyway, so gramps was like a pirate. Not really, of course, but he used to be a sailor, and I just thought that was the coolest thing around since he had all these stories he'd tell me. Gave me this pretty little thing, too," he added, holding up the broken silver watch on a chain around his neck with a wide smile. "It doesn't tell time anymore, though, since it cracked and got a little waterlogged."

[6]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/25/2014 2:34 PM

Jess nodded. "Right." In his head he was calculating, they had a full name, and a rough idea of both the date and the location in which Winston was born. It'd be possible to trace him. Though, there'd be something to suggest that they hadn't gone and found the information before making a fake tape. They'd need some sort of proof, but even if they caught him on camera again it could be faked... though with the conversation, perhaps...

Nick glanced towards Jess, her eyes having adjusted to the dark. He looked like he was deep in thought. At the mention of the watch being waterlogged, she turned back to Winston. "Did your Grandfather inspire you to become a sailor yourself?"

Hm... Perhaps it would just be easier to go with it first. Maybe Winston would want to share his story. Jess wasn't scared of the ghostly figure in front of him, in fact, he was more worried about scaring Winston off than any damage Winston could cause him or Nick, and yet, he felt a shiver creep down his spine all the same. The youth put it down to tiredness, and pulled his coat tighter around himself.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. It's cold in here, that's all."[/color] He paused and turned back to Winston. "S]ay, Mr. O'Malley, how long have you been here? I hope you understand what I mean, but it doesn't seem like the kind of place someone such as yourself would haunt."

((This post is kinda scattered. Oops.))

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/02/2014 11:57 AM

Winston seemed to stiffen ever so slightly at the mention of him being a sailor, and he was quiet for a long moment. When he opened his mouth to speak, Jess was already speaking, and he quickly closed his mouth to listen. "Oh, here?" he said, moving on to the second question with a sort of relief. "Not long at all. Shoot... uh, passage of time has been weird for me, but... something like a few days? Or... was it weeks," he murmured, scratching at his head uselessly, his fingers ruffling up his hair.

"But..." he began, the white in his eyes seeming to fade slightly as his smile did. "Er, I wasn't... really a sailor. Like, I was on a boat, um..." He trailed off, glancing away, one hand brushing at the front of his shirt on his midriff to smooth it out slightly. "A cargo ship. World War Two...?" he ventured, wondering if the two had ever even heard of it. What with all this time passing, Winston wasn't even sure what year it was, let alone whether or not anyone remembered or even had heard of such a thing. "A-anyway, I came here because... I've been looking for my crewmates."

[7]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/04/2014 4:58 AM

Jess could understand how easily time might slip away if you had an eternity of it. Still, it seemed like the spirit was mobile and moved about a lot. That was good, it gave credence to the theory that Winston was an actual, thinking, conscious being rather than an echo that would fade with time. Dealing with those was never fun.

"Oh, sorry." Nick replied. "I didn't realize, I just sort of... assumed." She felt a little bit bad about that, she hadn't meant to discourage the spirit.

"Everyone knows about World War 2, or, most of them do, anyway. If you're not taught about it in school, you'll hear about it from something else, a movie or a grandparent. It's a huge part of history." Jess clarified, happy to realize that his guess on the date was right.

"We might even be able to help you look for your crewmates, if you'd like. We visit a lot of places looking for ghosts. Maybe you should tell us more about them."

Though... there was something that didn't seem to be quite right. "Chaps, I'm sorry, but do either of you feel that there's something... off here? Uhm. I might just be imagining it." The worried look on Jess's face was enough to convince Nick that teasing him about his usage of the word "chaps" was a bad idea right now.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next