Once a grand cathedral dedicated to the Holy Triumvirate, all that remains now are ruins ever since the religion was rejected strongly in 1823. While the religion is back in favor, the cathedral was never restored. (+3 Defense, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lya Pointa Cathedral

Re: Death, Guilt, and Other Dark Things[OPEN][V][HUNT]

Postby FieldsofIris » 04/24/2017 7:30 PM

Hannah tried to keep up with the directions they were going - she would need an idea of the area if she needed a quick getaway - as she was led along the dark corridors. From what she could tell, they were heading further and further from the exit. The barracks? She made a mental note of that particular area once they finally reached it.

After the Whaler had caught his breath and began to explain everything, Hannah remained uncharacteristically quiet, attempting to gather as much knowledge of the situation as possible. As she listened, she (mentally) jotted down any questions she had to ask at the end. There ended up being a lot to swallow, and the girl sat and pondered the new information for a brief moment.

The more she thought, the more nervous she became about the situation. She needed answers, but what to ask about first? Well, first things first, I guess... After taking a deep breath, she blurted out the question on the forefront of her mind: "So who are the bad guys?!"

And is there a God up there? 'So,
where does he hide?
'Cause the devil is raging inside my
mind
And is there a moment where it all
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 170
Donate

Postby Kylo » 04/24/2017 11:05 PM

"Bad guys?" Fox stared at her for a second before bursting out laughing. "A-haha-Are you serious? Do you really think the world is so simple that you can plainly sort people into either 'good guys' or 'bad guys'? The world is shades of gray, and when you have nothing you'll do anything to survive."

Fox could not believe how sheltered this girl had to be for her to seriously believe things were that simple.

"You must come from a good family, with a nice sheltered life, to honestly believe that. Where I grew up it was either kill or be killed. There is no 'good' or 'bad', just life or death. What you really want to know is 'who would society commend and who would they condemn' and the answer is us. Daud, me, the other Whalers. But make no mistake the people who hire us are just as bad. They're too cowardly to get their hands dirty so they pay us to do it. We do what we do to survive. They hire us to amass more wealth and political power. So who do you think is the 'bad guy'?"

He doubted she would understand, they never did. People like her saw the world in black and white, and they always will. Oh well, if she decided to attack him for it, then he'd kill her. He wasn't about to die today because some girl thought her morals were how the whole world should be.

(Fox-9)

You can't wake up, this is not a dream
You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen
Low on self-esteem, so you run on gasoline

I think there's a flaw in my code
(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)
These voices won't leave me alone
Well, my heart is gold and my hands are cold

Are you deranged like me?
Are you strange like me?
Lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?
Do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?
Pointing fingers 'cause you'll never take the blame like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 269
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 04/27/2017 1:53 AM

The girl flinched as the man laughed scornfully at her. What, was it some kind of joke to him? "I didn't mean - " she tried to interject, but the man plowed right on through. Hannah grit her teeth and forced herself to listen to his tirade on the nature of the world. She already new life wasn't fair. Look at what happened to her parents.

After he finally finished, Hannah felt her grip on her dagger loosen. Finally, she took a deep breath and set her weapon down on a nearby bed, plopping down heavily onto the springy mattress. "I don't want to fight you," she muttered, her voice weary beyond her years. She lowered her head into her hands and sighed. "You're right. Good people, bad people, who can really be the judge of that, anyway?" She raised her eyes to look at the Whaler once more. "All of us are capable of unspeakable horrors, or selfless endeavors. It isn't the individual to blame at all, right?"

Hannah's features twisted into a sneer. "We're broken people in a broken system. A vicious cycle, right?" Her own spotty record came to mind, reminding her of her own lack of morality. She laughed humorlessly as memories of her sisters flashed in her mind, which trailed into her experiences at college. After what seemed like a lifetime, she came to the recent memory of the two men fighting in the other room. Her thoughts stilled, then, as strange emotions washed over her. The devotion of the Whaler to Daud, their concern for Hannah (a stranger's!) safety...

The girl made up her mind immediately. "It doesn't matter who the bad guy is. I want to help you." Hannah looked up at the man with a look of determination. These men protected her, after all, which caused a budding sense of loyalty to begin its growth within her.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 04/28/2017 6:55 PM

"We do what we have to survive. Broken or not. I apologize for judging you. Most people...don't understand."

So she knew what he meant. She understood. Maybe she would be worth keeping around after this. They could always use new Whalers. They were a group of broken people after all. It only made sense to welcome another one like themselves in.

"I appreciate that. Right now the best we can do is wait until Daud calls us back, and in the mean time stay out of the way. Though I suppose we could get you a weapon here besides a dagger. A dagger won't be much use against a sword or darts."

"I'm not your enemy! I never lied to you!" Daud shouted as he blocked Corvo's assault and transversed away from him.

"You and I are the same breed."

Corvo snarled at Daud and charged him, swinging his blade towards his torso. Daud narrowly managed to side step the blade as he growled at Corvo.

"Who are you trying to kill me for? The men who poisoned you and left you for dead? Or the fallen Empress?"

Corvo remained silent as he crowded Daud once more unleashing a flurry of attacks. Daud was unable to keep up, ending up with cuts and gashes along his arm and side, but still managing to keep away from serious harm.

(Fox-10 Level up! Level 3 +2 Offense +3 Defense) (Daud-8)(Corvo-3)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 04/28/2017 8:10 PM

Hannah grimaced, nodding in agreement. Most people didn't understand, and she knew from experience. At his apology, her face relaxed into a small, but crooked smile. Broken people tend to stick together, and she couldn't fault him for being defensive. She practically embodied that trait.

She felt herself drop her defenses a bit, now that they were on the same page. However, she was unable to fully relax. Not only was she still in a strange place, but there was still a fight going on in the other room. She badly wanted to help the man in the other room, but she also understood that she was in no place to fight the enemy.

The Whaler mentioned finding her another weapon, and she lit up, standing back up and sliding the dagger back into her shoe. "What do you suggest I arm myself, with?" Hannah asked curiously, eyes already scanning the room for new weapons. If there was any chance she could arm herself better and be of use, she was willing to do so.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 04/28/2017 8:42 PM

Fox went over to a locker and dug around in it before withdrawing a sword much like his own.

"This should do you. I would give you a wristbow, but without any training you're more likely to hurt yourself than others."

He held out the sword to her, motioning for her to take it.

Corvo was relentless, slashing and stabbing at Daud tirelessly. Daud had to transverse away from him more than once to keep himself from being run through. As the fight went on, he was more and more convinced that he really would die here today. Corvo was just too fast, and too determined to let him live. The only question was, was Daud willing to beg for his life should it come down to it?

Corvo grunted as he took a step back to give himself more space to swing, and immediately swung under Dad's blade and into his abdomen. Blood poured out as Daud retreated from Corvo, a hand immediately moving to cover the wound. He stumbled backwards until his back hit the wall, and slid down until he was sitting on the rotting floorboards. This was it.

(Fox-11)(Daud-9)(Corvo-4)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 04/28/2017 8:48 PM

Hannah grinned and took the sword with a quiet thank you. She could definitely fight with this - years of fencing practice ensured that. Stepping back from the Whaler, she gave a few experimental maneuvers, finding that the blade moved nearly fluidly through the air. Nodding in approval, she turned back to the man.

"Does that mean you'll train me with one of them, someday? The wristbow?" It had been a long time since she felt a sort of purpose with her life, and she wanted to take advantage of it while she still felt it.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 04/28/2017 8:54 PM

"You'll first have to join us, but yes, I'll train you. Daud has to approve of you first, but I don't see why he wouldn't."

He watched her as she moved about with the blade, her movements like those of fencers, and not like the dirty kind of street fighting he himself had been taught. Her skills would be valuable to them.

He was about to comment on her abilities when he felt his mark burn. Something was wrong, very very wrong. He knew he should stay put, but he couldn't bring himself to care. Daud was in trouble, and he wasn't about to sit around while he was killed.

"We have to go, now! Daud needs our help!"

(Fox-12)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 04/28/2017 9:08 PM

Hannah felt herself practically glow at the acceptance. She finally had something to look forward to! She was a bit nervous about receiving the other man's approval, but she trusted the Whaler to know his boss much better than her. Just as she was about to ask more questions, she saw the man's features twist in - pain? Worry? Something, she wasn't sure.

She found out soon enough, though, as the Whaler informed her of the situation. A familiar feeling of dread ran through her veins like ice. She wouldn't let anyone else die while she did nothing, not like her parents. "Yes, sir!" Hannah nodded, though the words felt foreign on her lips. She didn't normally follow authority of any sort, but the situation certainly called for it, now.

Clutching her weapon tightly, Hannah ran toward the room's exit, the layout of the building still fresh in her mind. Throwing open the door, she turned to wait for her newfound partner, the familiar rush of adrenaline already coursing through her body.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 04/28/2017 9:54 PM

"I have one more surprise for you. I ask for my life. When I killed your Empress and took her daughter something broke inside me."

Daud struggled to sit upright.

"Now I see the design on the back of your hand, the mark of the Outsider himself, and I remember all I've done. The years of waiting for the right moment to step forward from an alley and drive a knife between the ribs of some noble. All the money exchanging hands from one rich bastard or another. Killing for one of them one year, then being paid to kill him in return the next. But what have I accomplished?"

He pushed his hand tighter against his wound, trying desperately to stifle the bleeding.

"More than you have, or much less. I remember bending at the shrines, listening as the Outsider whispered that I was going to change things, that I was somehow important. It felt good. Made me believe I was powerful. Now I want nothing but to leave this city and fade from the memory of those who reside here. I've had enough killing."

Boots pounded the ground from the other room.

"The men you worked for asked you to kill for them, but you found some other way. You took a path you could have followed, but did not. So my life is in your hands. Make your choice."

Fox rounded the corner to the room to see Corvo standing over his Master and he felt his blood boil. Corvo grabbed Daud by his shirt and lifted him up, his blade ready to slit his throat.

"Dad! Don't you dare hurt him! I'll kill you!"
Fox screamed as he withdrew his blade and raced towards Corvo.

Corvo froze and lowered his blade, seemingly stunned for a moment. He let go of Daud and turned to face Fox, before blinking away.

"And so you chose mercy."

((Quick note that Daud's speech is the exact speech from the Dishonored video game and I in no way claim it as my own))
(Fox-13)(Daud-10 Level up! Level 3 +2 Offense +3 Defense)(Corvo-5 Level up! Level 2 +2 Offense +3 Defense)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 04/30/2017 11:41 PM

Hannah followed her new ally closely as they raced back through the cathedral, years of training easing the way for adrenaline to do its job. As the Whaler burst into the room, Hannah was close behind, and her eyes widened at what she saw. Daud was injured, and the other man was readying the killing blow, it seemed. Hannah readied her weapon and stepped forward, but the other man beat her to it.

While the Whaler charged to the enemy, Hannah followed close behind and dashed to the injured Daud. She sheathed her weapon and crouched down next to him. "Oh, God," she murmured, hands hovering over the large wound in the man's abdomen. She turned and looked up at her other companion, eyes wide with worry, betraying the medical calm of her voice. "We need something to stop the bleeding!" She turned back and attempted to stifle the bleeding with her hands in the meantime, but they needed a lot more than simple pressure.

"We need to work fast. Is there anything around here that can help?" The question was directed to both men as an attempt to keep Daud awake and focused while reigning the Whaler back in.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 05/02/2017 11:15 PM

Fox watched Corvo drop his master and found himself stop as he blinked away. He'd chase down the man later, right now Daud needed help. He went to Daud's side, pulling out a potion from one of his pouches and uncorked it, before bringing it to Daud's lips.

Daud swallowed it, and grit his teeth as it slowed down the bleeding. It wouldn't be enough to heal it, but at least it would give them time to work. Daud clenched his hand as used what was left of his mana to summon another whaler.

(Thomas)

"Sir?"

"Thomas, get the medical kit and prepare a work space. I'm going to need sewn up."

"Yes, sir."

Thomas transversed away to do as he was told.

"Why did you two come back? I gave you an order," Daud asked quietly as Hannah and Fox tended to him while waiting for Thomas to return.

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/03/2017 11:39 PM

Hannah sighed in relief, looking up at Fox gratefully as she felt the blood flow slow down beneath her hands. She kept them in place, however, as she noticed the liquid didn't fully heal the wound. She was prepared to ask where other first aid supplies might be, but held her breath as Daud's arm shifted.

When the new man, Thomas, appeared suddenly next to them, Hannah jolted in shock. Where had he appeared from? She relaxed, though, as Daud recognized him and even trusted him enough to help. Watching the new whaler go nearly caused her to miss Daud's question, and she looked down sheepishly in response.

Hannah nudged Fox to let him answer, deciding to focus on holding steady to the wound.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kylo » 05/09/2017 4:51 PM

Fox didn't turn his face away from Daud, though he knew he was in a great amount of trouble and would surely be given a lecture once Daud was in a better position to give one.

"I felt like something was off. My mark...it burned. I came running here because I thought you were in trouble, sir."

Daud sighed in exasperation at Fox. Of course one of his most loyal Whalers would be the one to disobey orders and come back to help. Fox had always had a kilometer long protective streak that Daud couldn't beat out of the kid. Not even Thomas had been able to get Fox in line when it came to these kinds of things.

"I'll save your punishment for later, but...I am grateful you came for me."

Fox nearly flinched in shock. Daud was grateful to him? This was...well not exactly new but he wasn't one to give out praise like this.

Before he could reply Thomas reappeared by them.

"Everything is ready, sir. I'll help you get to the room I've set up."

Thomas turned to Fox to address him.

"I've set things up in Rulfio's lab. Meet us there."

Fox nodded while Thomas moved to take Daud from Hannah.

"Thank you for helping us, miss. Fox will take you to the lab. I'll carry Master Daud there myself."

(Fox-15 Level up! Level 4 +2 Offense +3 Defense) (Daud-12)(Thomas-2)

(Oh, ooh-oh, ooh-oh, oh)

Are you strange like me?
"Gasoline" by Halsey

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/12/2017 6:23 PM

Hannah sighed internally with relief. Daud wasn't angry at them - or, didn't have the energy to be angry at them, rather. Either way, the young woman still counted it as a win.

Feeling Fox go stiff next to her, she looked up at him with concern. She readied herself to ask him what was wrong, but was interrupted as Thomas returned.

She forced herself not to startle as the newest man reached down to help Daud up, and instead put herself to use by helping Thomas in the task. Before they could leave, however, Hannah spoke up. "It's Hannah, by the way," she introduced herself quickly. "My name, that is." She now fully left the injured man to Thomas, and instead turned to Fox, reaching a hand down.

"Are you alright?"

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items