These woods are nice for a casual walk or even if you have a more adventurous urge. Bubbling hot springs lie just around the bend, fruits can be found to suit every taste bud, and rumor has it there are talking Tali who can speak Lambastian! (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Roraldi Forests

~+ Our Quiet Place [P] +~

Postby Atoli01 » 09/26/2014 11:40 PM

Tuesday. One of my only two days of the week off from work, and I certainly did not plan to squander it. While some would consider immersing oneself in the ever expanding world of literature and exploring the most remote places one can find to be squandering a perfectly picturesque day, I, for one, begged to differ. Following graduation, such had become my habit.

So, here I was again today, parking my rundown SUV at the forest's outskirts.

I crawled over the car's console to slip into the back, which sported several worn boxes of books, along with clothes, a cooler, stuffed animals, a blanket and several stray electronics between the car's folded back seats and trunk. Not the most luxurious of living conditions, but most anything was better than living with those godforsaken, mentally abusive lovebirds.

The Interpretation of Dreams-- That was the first book that graced my fingers from the "unread" pile I carefully maintained. It wouldn't do anyone any good to sort through all these dusty old things a second time. I nestled the book in my messenger bag before I crawled out the car's trunk, firmly closing the heavy thing and locking my vehicle on the way out.

Not like I have much to steal either way, I mused as I made my way into the forest, taking each navigational challenge the forest provided me one at a time.

A beautiful moon shines above again tonight,
And it sheds light happily over the world.
As for me, I'm just worthless, good for nothing,
Dreaming at daybreak, creeping at dawn.

Still I'll scream into the sky, hoping that somebody will find me.
I want to run, but there's no way out--
No bright future in sight.
But I still fly up like a butterfly, hoping that you'll find me.
A crescent moon, ugly children of the stars, flying with broken wings...!

Home | Imp. Docs. | Sales | Listing
Journal | Wishes | Roleplays
Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1035
Donate

Re: ~+ Our Quiet Place [P] +~

Postby crow » 09/28/2014 12:21 AM

There had been a time, once, when Sendou could not imagine ever wanting to leave his waters. In the time of his birth, the world was clean and new, and the gods were young capricious things for all that they pretended to be great and wise. The river was a lively thing that wound across the sky, unbound by banks or boundaries. Its course changed with his whims, its tumults swelling and ebbing with his moods. In those days, he had no form beyond the waters themselves.

As time passed, he began to settle. The attractions of such turbulent wanderings were no longer worth their efforts; slowly, his shores became more or less certain things. He learned to be contented in those boundaries. The wars between the gods and the immortals had grown turbulent, and his banks offered shelter from the storm. Then the Garden of Stars grew up around him, and some of those immortals came to treat with the river. The soul of the river rose from its depths in a form that mimicked their shape. They promised peace if he would allow the dead to cross, and he had agreed, however reluctantly.

That, perhaps, had been his first mistake. He tried for countless years to remain impassive and neutral as he once was, but the dead brought their stories and grievances with them, until his mind was filled with the chatter of mortals. His waters were no longer quite the haven that they used to be. He fled to the lonely places in the world of the living, seeking solace in that familiar quiet. He would speak to the rivers and streams of the land, whose voices were soft, and watch the passing of the alien seasons.

But just as the peace of his waters had been slowly eroded away, so too did the peace of these sanctuaries. More and more humans swelled the land, and their harsh voices permeated the earth, until Sendou had but few places left to him to hide.

This one had not been as remote as he would have liked for several decades. It was mostly nostalgia that held him here, and it was for nostalgia's sake that he was here today. There was a stream here that had once been a great wit, and its waters still ran mostly clean, though its words were fewer and father between now. He sat perched on a rock at its edge, his pale unbound hair spilling around him like a shroud, his face tilted up to watch as the sun played between the overhanging leaves.

If he closed his eyes, he could smell the rich earth of the mountain and listen to the songs of the birds, and almost pretend that the world was no different than it had been a hundred, a thousand years ago.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 09/29/2014 10:06 PM

Crack. Crunch. Crunch.

It didn't matter that they were dead; I wanted nothing more than to apologize to those decaying leaves and branches on which I was stepping. Their sounds played as a soothing refrain in my head, but for thinking even that, I felt remorseful. How any creature of prey was able to attain such a level of delicate footwork as to not be detected on a ground as easily ruffled as this one was confounding.

Branches and undergrowth were gently maneuvered to the side as I walked past. I was careful to leave as little damage in my wake as humanly possible. As I traversed the forest to its heart, I listened closely to the curious chirps of the birds which inhabited the place, and the quiet, alarmed squeaks of any rodents whom paths I had crossed. This continued for what was certainly an hour at the very least. To be fair, I often took breaks to admire the (what I pretended to be) never before seen species of trees and delicate flowers lining the forest's ground, like the first flecks of snow on a winter's morning. I was certain that every inch of this place had already been mapped out, although it did nothing to deplete the forest's natural beauty, or my appreciation of such.

Before long, I found myself following a quaint, slow-moving stream of water. It was something to keep my bearings, was it not? Even more soothing than that refrain of crunching leaves and branches was the soft melody of the stream, whose water was washing over rocks and dirt and finding it's home back in the earth, only to repeat the cycle without a finite end.

When the stream made way to a pond, and a larger clearing surrounding that, it took me for a turn. Such peaceful places only existed in books and movies, certainly. Yes, one of the few places left untouched, untainted by man, with it's integrity diminished by none. A sense of guilt overtook me as I took a single step out from that line of trees.

These were the kinds of things I lived for. My heart quickened, my pulse raced, as I relished in my new discovery. Maybe, just maybe... I'd have to come here once more after today. I already had thoughts such as those.

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/06/2014 6:38 PM

The sound of footsteps broke Sendou's reverie long before the human itself arrived. In one fluid motion, he dove into the water. It closed over his head like a familiar embrace, and he relinquished his form--- his body shimmered for a moment, then disappeared. He could feel the stream stirring sluggishly, probing at him in curious little murmurs. It saddened him that the stream no longer recognized him without a few gentle reminders, but there was nothing that he could do about that. He had tried, in the past, to no avail.

Placated with his explanations, the stream subsided back into its slumber, and Sendou was free to observe the human once it came into view. It was a girl, perhaps still a child, with almost as much hair as himself. He wondered that it didn't snag on the branches of the woods. Humans were always such terribly clumsy creatures.

Her presence was an unhappy thing for him, not only because she had interrupted his repose, but for what it meant for this place. He had not been so much a fool as to think it free from human grasp, but he hadn't expected to encounter one so soon.

He sighed a whorl of water into the stream, then slipped into a dark corner and took his leave of the place. His mood had soured, and he no longer wanted anything to do with the world of the living. He would have liked to swear never to return, but he knew himself better than that. And sure enough, a few days later, he was back.

Despite himself, he had spent his time fretting for the stream and its forest, and he wanted--- it was futile, he knew, but he wanted to do something, even if it was only to give the place the scant comfort of the knowledge that someone would mourn its loss.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 10/07/2014 12:26 AM

Another day found itself the same as the last, with me carefully tiptoeing through the woods until I reached that narrow, winding stream, which could surely be labeled as familiar given a few days' more time. I followed it, as per the norm, as it lead me to what I could now name my new favorite location.

To bask in the sun and watch the clouds, surrounded by a field of grass and the wildlife that came with it, all while immersed in a book which snagged my interest from one cover to the other was a truly freeing feeling. Admittedly, there was an off-chance that I may have called in "sick" to work in order to enjoy today. Surely one day couldn't hurt, could it...? I was in good standing with the manager and I worked diligently, and... Oh, I couldn't afford to lose that job.

But now wasn't the time for worrying about such petty things, was it? No, this serene place didn't deserve to be bothered with such worldly concerns. Letting slip a carefree sigh, I let my body fall limp in the spacious patch of grass. My hair stretched from my head like a halo around me as I clutched that book to my chest. Seven, eight, nine... ten? Ten clouds. One of them looked like a dog too, funny. I would take this wonderful place over work any day. A laugh, a truly happy, overjoyed laugh escaped my lips as I smiled to myself. God, I had to have looked like an idiot to any bystander in that moment. Though there weren't any, so why was there any cause to waste my precious thoughts on ones such as those?

Now, back to that book... I rolled onto my side, stretching it out in front of me. Haha, it was a curious feeling. The words came to me, but were gone in a flash. Maybe it was the sun's rays beating them away. Definitely. It wasn't long until, laying there, I found myself barely able to hold open that book. Just a little nap... Maybe... Oh, it wouldn't hurt anyone, would it...?

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/24/2014 11:00 PM

Sendou's initial impression of the human presence in this stretch of stream was, upon further examination, perhaps not as accurate as he had believed. He'd been coming back to check on it for some time now, and contrary to what he had expected, he hadn't found any more humans since then. Occasionally he did see the one--- but it was the same one every time. He was sure that it was. He didn't often pay much attention to them, but seeing them as often as he did in the course of his job as boatman, he had eventually picked up the ability to tell them apart.

His suspicions of her died away somewhat after observing her for a time too. She hadn't brought any harm to the place as he had feared, beyond scaring away most of the woodland animals. He couldn't really blame the human for that, he supposed, though he might have wished to when a more spiteful mood took him. Curiously, all she seemed to want to do was sit there. Or, in the case of today, lie by the riverside.

He sighed. Now that he thought about it, there had been a time when he hadn't been so disparaging of humankind. Once, a long time ago, he had even sought the company of a select few, and he felt his heart tug at the memory of drinking wine beneath the moon along a beautiful stretch of river--- a true river--- with a poet who had been his friend. This girl was no poet, but...

He never had a chance to finish that thought, for at that moment, he sensed the approach of a bear. Not that that would have meant anything to him, for he was a spirit, and animals were neither afraid nor a threat to him. But to a soft, unsuspecting human deep within their domain... Sendou half hoped the bear would simply wander off, but it was steadily making its way toward the girl. Perhaps it had caught the scent of food, or something like it; he didn't know.

... He really should have just left. If it was her fate to die here, then what right had he to interfere? Ah, but the bear would likely be put down for causing harm, even if the girl wasn't killed, and it certainly wasn't the bear's fault... He sent a ripple of wind down to the bear, to try and warn it away, but it paid him no attention. Frustrated, he tried again, but to no avail. Now the creature was nearly upon the girl, and Sendou had no choice--- if subtlety failed, he would have to try for something more direct. Gathering himself from where he had been hiding in the waters, he let his shape become solid again. Rushing forward, he slipped between the bear and the girl, twin ribbons of water twisting around him like strange glittering sashes. He drew himself up with all the brilliance that his spirit nature could afford him, his eyes glowing with a pale light. Speaking a few soft words of the old tongue in a voice that reverberated through the wood, he willed the bear away. Reluctantly, the creature complied.

It was not until the bear disappeared from sight that he relaxed, letting both himself and the water surrounding him to fall back to the ground. No longer glowing, he looked almost human, for all the strangeness of his long tapering ears and the length of the green hair that fell about his shoulders. He had all but forgotten the human in the heat of the moment, until he turned and saw her again. At that, he froze.

The last thing he had wanted to do was to reveal himself to her, but now, with this, his anonymity was almost certainly at an end. The best thing to do would have been to flee, but he was petrified with shock; his body would not obey.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 11/02/2014 3:59 AM

"Nn..."

Voices. She could hear voices. Rather, one very faint voice rang in her ears, though it was certainly only one that existed in her mind, in her dreams. This sort of cloudy rationale continued on in Marin for--well, how long, she had no idea--before she finally woke once more to the physical realm. Just this simple act that a miracle in and of itself, taking into account what had transpired only moments prior.

It was like a pleasant sounding alarm. The kind that everyone skips past on their phones simply because it becomes indistinguishable from their dream. When Marin's sleepy eyes finally fluttered their way open, that was the thing she had realized. That voice... so muted, so delicate, had not been a one with her dream at all.

Normally, the girl would have jumped out of her skin at being awoken by a stranger's presence. (Not only did she harbor a general weariness of strangers, as many should, but to be awoken in such a way...) This green haired man standing before her, however, seemed to pose no threat to her. At least... No sizable one. Marin took her time in sitting up, as she was, after all, still half-asleep. Grabbing her book and clutching it to her chest, barely managing to prop her body up with her free arm, she stared the stranger in the eye.

Marin's eyes glazed over his almost... inhuman features with intense interest. No, maybe it wasn't so much his body that seemed otherworldly, but rather his aura and the manner in which the man carried himself. She took careful note of his long, slender ears as she surveyed the stranger and came to the conclusion that this man was certainly... something else. Or... "You aren't one of those freaks who dresses up weirdly, are you?" is what she wanted to ask him, though Marin bit her tongue at such words.

The confrontation had lasted only moments, of that Marin was positive, though it felt like she could have very well spent three lifetimes looking the man from head to toe. Although she wasn't certain of the validity of... er... otherworldly beings, her mind was still grasping and struggling to put a label to the man that matched what already occupied her databases. Angel? Fairy? Elf? They were all so implausible, such childish things for her to believe possible, but she...

"What are you?"

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/15/2014 7:49 PM

Thankfully, the human knew just the thing to say to snap him out of his alarm. Sendou straightened, brushing imaginary dust from his pristine robes. "I suppose I must give your kind due credit for consistency," he said. His voice was now similarly bereft of the adornment that he had taken on to face the bear; it no longer sounded quite so otherworldly. There was still a fluid, almost musical element to it, like the trickling of water over rocks, but otherwise it was no more than a light androgynous tenor. "You've no more gratitude in life than in death." It wasn't as if he expected any less, but it did her no favor in his eyes.

He considered taking his leave of her then. She could hardly object to that, he thought, considering that he had saved her life just moments prior. It would be the least troublesome course of action, and he still didn't believe that any good would come of telling a human more than he had to. But it occurred to him that if he did not establish himself correctly, she could come to any number of troubling conclusions about his nature. Sendou shuddered to think of himself being taken for a lowly ghost, or perhaps a vampire. Many humans did not know the bad from the good, nor the mundane from the godly. There, too, was the possibility that he might be mistaken for one of the celestials, which would bring no end of troubles between himself and the overbearing Bureaucracy.

"If you must know, I am a river spirit," he said, with an air of great reluctance. He could not help adding, "And unless you have come seeking death, you are very foolish to have let down your guard in such a place." And I a fool for saving you, he thought. He could not see fates as the escorts did, so he was not privy to the knowledge of whether his intervention had caused some upset of her destiny. It had been a rash thing, done in the moment without much thought--- his mind had been mostly with the bear. Now that his own rationality had caught up with him, he felt more keenly the indiscretion of his actions.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 11/16/2014 10:23 PM

"River... spirit..."

The words carried with them a weird sensation as they brushed past Marin's lips. Suddenly, the man's appearance made sense to the girl. As much sense as a man sporting long, green hair, otherworldly garments and, in some aspects, rather feminine features could make. Rather than question the man or simply walk away from him, Marin chose to sit in that spot, looking the man in the eyes. Such wasn't intentional; she was wracking her brain for any sort of information she could conjure about river spirits.

"You're supposed to ferry people across the river once they die, assuming my information is correct." Assuming that this stranger wasn't lying, either. She had read something along those lines in one of her books a long while ago. He could be considered one with the water, so of course he'd be a man of stunning beauty. Like the water, and life and death, beautiful... For Marin to believe an individual based solely on his or her appearance and a few petty words was nearly unheard of. "Don't judge a book by it's cover," are the words she muttered as she rose to her feet.

"I don't understand this talk of gratitude and seeking death, but..." Marin slammed the book in her hands shut. "What's your name?"

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/18/2014 9:53 PM

Sendou raised his delicately-arched brows in surprise. The girl knew more than he had expected. Most humans knew only the gods, and had forgotten the other immortals; many were ignorant even of the lesser gods. It surprised him still further that she knew of his specific purpose. Most river spirits known to him had nothing to do with the dead. The other rivers running through the lands of the gods certainly had no part in his domain. Dumbfounded, he could only reply, "If you know my purpose, then surely you must know what mortals call me?" It was not his true name, and he had known many others in centuries past, but all the others had fallen into disuse excepting a small group of his older acquaintances.

But it was clear, from her question, that the girl didn't know. How negligent of her sources. If they had spoken about him for any length of time--- was he really relegated to the status of a mere footnote in the history of the gods? "If you need to address me, you may call me Sendou," he said. 'Boatman'. He had rather hoped that one of the other names he had known would catch on better. This one was altogether too literal, too bland. Worse, it implied that he was somehow an entity separate from his river, when in reality they were one and the same--- if anything, he was an avatar of its waters, and they were as much a part of his body as his arms, or his head. "As for seeking death... Ah, you must not have seen the bear." Either that, or she was feigning ignorance so as to be ungrateful. Well, it had been a trivial thing. He felt no desire to press the point.

His desire to consort with mortals--- or more accurately, his lack thereof--- had not changed with the few words he'd exchanged with this one. But having given his name, he was discontent with the idea of taking nothing in return, and said, "What of you, then? By what name are you addressed?"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 11/18/2014 10:48 PM

When Marin thought on it, it became as much of a shock to her as it must have been to him to realize that he had been only glossed over. Did no one record his name? No, it had to have been a technical error on her part. There had to have been a book concerning the Gods that she had glanced over. Perhaps it was a tale lost to time? Or perhaps one that had never found itself in the hands of competent translators? Marin bit her lip in frustration as his name reached her ears.

"Sendou. I've never heard it." The girl looked down at her feet, her cheeks flushed out of embarrassment. It had nothing to do with the man standing before her, but rather the fact that she had been overly confident in her supposed knowledge of the gods. There was some studying yet to be done...

The word "bear" was quick to snap Marin out of her daze. Had that been what had awoken her? But, no, it was a voice; she clearly remembered. She didn't remember seeing a bear when she awoke, but she was in no position to doubt Sendou. Brushing off her skirt with her free hand, Marin gathered her composure before addressing him.

"Marin Tarmavau. Call me Marin. I'm assuming you're suggesting that the bear was about to pounce on me or something of the sort, so I'll thank you for not allowing me to become someone's dinner. I apologize if it sounds disrespectful, but what did you mean in saving me? I am a human, and you a being now only mentioned by those who don't believe in your existence."

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/29/2014 6:12 AM

Sendou's frown deepened to hear that the girl had never heard of him. He was mollified slightly by the fact that she did seem to be abashed by that, but still... "The humans remember the gods, who do not so much as trifle in their lives unless the mood strikes them; and yet it is I they choose to forget--- the one whom every mortal must meet." He had ferried every single human who had ever died, almost since the beginning of human death itself, across his own waters. If his opinion of humans hadn't already been sunk so low, this might have lessened them in his estimation.

At Marin's little speech, Sendou inclined his head. "Yes," he said, "that is exactly it. As for what I mean..." There, he paused, looking rather conflicted. Slowly he said, "I suppose I did not wish for the bear to... I did not wish for anything to happen to this place. Your death would have attracted attention of a most unpleasant sort." Not that human attention in general boded well for wild places, but if humans felt any threat to themselves, real or imagined, their first reaction tended to be to destroy that threat. One human life lost, or one preserved, was worth to them the death of a thousand others so long as it was not their own. He had even witnessed humans slay each other in the name of defence; he had no hope for their sympathies for a scenic stretch of woods.

"I ought to ask what you mean by being here," he said, his tone becoming abruptly curt. [b][color=#b7e88a]"Even if you do have a death wish, I would beseech you not to taint this place with it."

((Alas, Sendou is a butt xP))
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 11/29/2014 4:11 PM

If Sendou was any other man, Marin would have likely chosen to tease him, asking him if that was the only reason for which he saved her. She knew better in this situation, however. She knew that Sendou wouldn't take kindly to the joke for one, and considering it was him, likely had no ulterior motive. Regardless, his answer came as no surprise. She couldn't picture him giving much care to humans, after seeing the corpses of billions of them. Marin was certain that she was just another face to him. Probably wouldn't be remembered even a week from now.

"I mean nothing by being in this place," Marin replied. "But if you really must know, Sendou, places like this, that have only been touched by a handful of humans in its entire existence, are relaxing. It's nice for reading. It helps me concentrate." She stole a glance down at the book which she held in her hands. How could he object to her answer? If he looked around, he'd notice that she was careful to disturb as little of this place as possible.

"Oh, and for your information, I don't quite care one way or another. So, I don't think you can call it a death wish."

Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate