These woods are nice for a casual walk or even if you have a more adventurous urge. Bubbling hot springs lie just around the bend, fruits can be found to suit every taste bud, and rumor has it there are talking Tali who can speak Lambastian! (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Roraldi Forests

—— [ misfits ] && [ apothecaries ]

Postby Kiarianuu » 08/08/2015 4:13 AM

{ 3 × 14 } { 3 × 14 }
{ 1 × 3 } { 1 × 3 }

"H-huh?" Mello felt her blood run cold and her vision grow slightly hazy as if she were dizzy. She...hadn't just asked that, had she? There was... There was no way she should be able to know something like that, unless it was some kind of wild and off-the-wall guess — but that face she was making and her wording of the question proved it wasn't. Why would she... What did her apprentice tell her?

"No need to look so frightened," the apprentice said as he returned from getting the herbs, setting them down next to Nemea's lounged out body. His voice was gentle and his eyes kind as if he were dealing with a scared and hurt animal (which was exactly what she was at the moment) — a complete one-eighty from the way Nemea had acted. "It's kind of obvious, though, once you've lived around them for so long." He gave a light shrug. "I could tell by your eyes."

"O-oh..." The small bird shifted a little, now being too embarrassed and scared to look back at Kiru to see how he was reacting. She looked to Caspar, then to Nemea. "But what does that have to do with anything?"

Nemea gave a small, almost nonchalant shrug. "It could be easier to heal you in that form. It happened that way in the past." She used a paw to sift through the items Caspar had brought over, giving a satisfied nod to him. Turning her head back to Mello, she tilted it off to one side slightly. "Well?"

With a sheepish and almost repulsed look, the bird looked down and within a moment — and with a faint glow of light — a girl was sitting where she once was. Her clothes, though still wearable, were torn. On her face, hidden beneath hair as red as her feathers had been, were faded scars. The arm that had been the broken wing was bent in a rather disgusting way and was turning a slightly grayish color.

Nemea rose to her feet and looked at her arm closer, then frowned. "...Well. Seems it's not going to work out again." She pushed the pile of plants back to Caspar, who took them and returned them to the back of the cave. Looking back to the girl, whose expression was now one of confusion, she explained, "I can't fix that. Not easily or painlessly." Her lips pursed a bit. "You could go into the town, however. They would probably be able to fix it."

At the mention of going into town, Mello shook her head so quickly she nearly gave herself a headache. "I-I..." She looked down, still refusing to look behind her at Kiru. Pursing her lips together into a thin line, she stood up from the ground and made her way out of the cave, wanting desperately to be alone. And to cry. "I-I'll deal with it. I'm not going back."

I'll be fine.
Kiarianuu
You ARE persistent, aren't you?
Pets | Items
Keystones: 515
Donate

—— [ misfits ]

Postby Kiarianuu » 08/10/2015 4:41 AM

{ 4 × 15 } { 4 × 15 }

By the time Mello had gotten back outside in the forest, she had changed back into a bird — she was far more comfortable that way. She set herself down a little off to the side of the entrance of the cave, hoping that if someone came out to look for her, they would at least miss her at first. She just wanted to be alone right then.

Of course, she realized that she was probably overreacting. All she had to do was go back into town and get a doctor to fix her and that was it. It would only take maybe another day and no real damage would be done to the broken bone. But to do that, she would actually have to go back. Back to the place where she was shunned by the elders and ridiculed by the younger inhabitants. In her mind, she could only foresee it ending badly — why wouldn't it?

But if she didn't, she doubted she would ever fly again. The next closest town was on the other side of the forest, and that would takes a week at minimum to get to. By then, her wing would have begun healing the wrong way and it wouldn't be fixable. Or, well; it would, but she wasn't too keen on the idea of having her wrongly-healed bone broken again just to be set properly.

It was...stressful, to say the least.

"Are you okay?"

The bird's head lifted up to look toward the sound of the voice. She wasn't surprised to see Kiru standing over her and looking down at her. His face, though stoic as usual, held something like an expression of concern. When she just looked down and didn't answer, he sat down beside her.

"You're not going to go back there, are you?" he asked. "Back to your old town?"

She shook her head wordlessly, not even feeling in the mood to make a noise. She just wanted to think, but maybe not be alone. She couldn't deny the small feeling of peace she got when the bear sat next to her.

"That's fine." He fell silent, though soon gave a soft sigh and started speaking again. "But you do realize you'll probably never fly again, right? And that it'll heal all twisted like that?"

Mello didn't move for a moment. Yes, she knew. She knew full-well what it meant. She'd be stuck on the ground at the mercy of every other creature alive that was bigger than her (which was arguably most things). But she nodded in acknowledgement.

"...You'll still stay with me, right?"

Her voice was hesitant and soft, sounding almost as if she were close to crying; and maybe she was and just didn't realize it. She couldn't bring herself to look at him, finding an odd and unfamiliar fear in her chest. She curled up into herself more, almost dreading his answer.

"Of course I will."
Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Keystones: 515
Donate

Previous