These woods are nice for a casual walk or even if you have a more adventurous urge. Bubbling hot springs lie just around the bend, fruits can be found to suit every taste bud, and rumor has it there are talking Tali who can speak Lambastian! (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Roraldi Forests

Buried With Our Past [self ;; m]

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/02/2014 2:50 AM

{ 1 || 1 }

She had to get away. If she didn't, she'd die — that much was blatantly obvious — but at this point, she was beginning to enjoy the thought. It wouldn't be overly pleasant, considering who would be doing the killing, but it would at least put her out of her misery. She'd be happy. Everyone else would be happy. It only seemed like the most logical course of action.

Shut up, you dumbass. You're gonna live. You've stayed alive this far, so there's no point in giving up now.

She squeezed her eyes tightly shut and took a running leap into the air, flapping her wings when she didn't feel the ground under her feet to take off into the air. As horrible as her situation was right then, she felt peace when she felt the air beneath her wings. She was safe now, high above her perpetrators, hidden among the trees. She could get away and hide and then finally run away and create a new life where she could quite possibly be happy.

A sharp pain in her right wing cut her daydreams short.

It was sudden at first, the initial impact being hardly felt. The after pain, though, that was hell. She let out a sqwaking shriek of pain, flapping furiously with her good wing — she couldn't even force the other to move — in an attempt to stay airborne.

The attempt was embarrassing to watch — that much was obvious from the hysterical laughter beneath her. This was humiliating. She was crying and hysterical and trying desperately to fly with one good wing and one horribly mangled wing from whatever was thrown at her. No wonder they were laughing. Anyone would laugh. She would have, too.

...Maybe that's why this is happening... Karma for being a terrible person...

Through teary eyes, she looked below at the rapidly approaching ground. Red eyes slipped shut, and she wished nothing more than to die on impact.
"when i get excited, i fly"
:^)

zoo pen / journal / wishlist
Kiarianuu
You ARE persistent, aren't you?
Pets | Items
Keystones: 515
Donate

Re: Buried With Our Past [self ;; m]

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/02/2014 3:11 AM

{ 1 || 1 }

The day started just as any other did — wake up, venture out to the ocean, hunt and eat, then go back home and sleep the rest of the day. Kiru was in the middle of doing the last item on the list when the sound of loud laughter and voices filled his ears.

A low growl escaped his throat. He didn't like others, and he especially didn't like others near his personal residence, as unglamorous and unsightly as it was. With a very annoyed sound, the Bruma dragged himself to his feet and began following the sound.

These brats better have a pretty goddamn good excuse for this.

Getting closer, he started thinking that something was wrong. He still couldn't make out any of the words being said, but they sounded almost...evil. Or, malicious at least. Then again, a group as large sounding as this one was, nothing good could be coming from them being in the middle of the woods.

On a whim, Kiru lifted his eyes up to the sky. At that moment, a rock was hurled with great force at the small Matches that was visibly distraught and in need of help.

When the rock hit its wing, everything clicked.

They were going to kill it.

Without thinking, Kiru ran forward and growled loudly, staring at the group with as much hate as he could muster — which was a lot, seeing as he had been rudely woken up to find a bunch of punks trying to kill a seemingly innocent bird right next to his home. The group ran off in fear as the small bird fell in a heap to the ground a few feet away from him.

He stepped over to it, looking down at its motionless body. His lips drew up in disgust at the sight of its wing — twisted and bent in ways and places it wasn't supposed to twist or bend.

He felt he might be sick looking at it.

Still, though, he had to make sure it was okay; he'd feel like he wasted his time dragging himself down here if he didn't at least do something good. Leaning down, he nudged the Matches' chest with his nose, trying to get it to make some sort of movement or sound to confirm that it was still alive and that this wasn't all for naught.

After a good minute or so, Kiru let out a defeated sounding sigh when there was no sign of life from the pathetic looking creature. Pushing himself to his feet, he turned to start walking home when a small, squeaking cough caught his attention.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/02/2014 11:29 AM

{ 1 || 2 } { 1 || 2 }

"W...what... h-hap—"

"Don't talk. You'll only hurt yourself more." Kiru walked back over, stopping beside the bird and sitting down. He looked down at it, watching it desperately try to stand only to fall back over in pain — luckily on its good wing and not the broken one. He really didn't feel like listening to its pained sqwaking right then. Or ever, to be quite honest. "What's your name?"

Didn't you tell me not to talk? She looked up at him, wanting desperately to be able to move away a little or at least stand. Not only was she small to begin with, but this was just intimidating, having some huge bear loom over you, asking questions you don't want to answer. "I... go by Mello."

"Ah." Kiru yawned and then laid down; it's obvious they weren't going anywhere anytime soon. "Kiru. And if you're wondering, I just saved your life."

"I... Oh." Mello really didn't know what to say to that. She never expecting some stranger would care enough about her worthless life to try to save her. Was she supposed to say thank you? Is that what you say when someone saves your life?

But what if you didn't want to be saved? Are you still required to say thank you? Or is it just called being polite at that point?

"Thank you," she mumbled quietly, gaze locked firmly on the dirt below her. She wasn't thankful, not at all. She would've rather been tore apart than have to face the ordeal of going back. It wasn't like she could fly away anymore — her right wing would be permanently unusable. She didn't need a doctor to tell her that, it was plainly obvious just by looking at it.

The only place she had to go now was back, and she'd much rather die than do that.

"Something tells me you're not happy about me saving you." Kiru gave her a questioning look, though she didn't even bother looking up at him. With a small sigh, he fell quiet and occupied himself with looking at the leaves on the trees.

Guess I won't be finishing my nap today after all.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/02/2014 1:55 PM

{ 1 || 3 } { 1 || 3 }

It was a while before Mello spoke up again.

"...Why did you save me?"

Kiru opened his eyes slowly, having closed them from growing bored of watching trees sway in the wind and the Matches shift uncomfortably in the dirt. He stared at her, blinking a few times as he thought his answer over. It was a good question, one he didn't have an answer for. Why did he save her? Was it pity? Or was it just annoyance that he had to be woken up by the sound of her perpetrators?

"Don't know. Had nothing better to do, I guess." Half of it was true, and half was a lie. He really didn't know why he had decided to save her from a painful death, but he honestly thought that sleeping would have been a better way to spend his time. Why should he care about one helpless bird? Plenty of them died every day and he thought nothing of it, so why should he feel sympathy for this one?

Maybe it was lack of sleep.

Mello stayed silent, shifting in the dirt again. Slowly and carefully, she lifted herself onto her feet, eyes squinting shut in pain. Once she opened her eyes again, confusion filled her. Where was she supposed to go? She really had no idea where she was, or how to get back — not that she really wanted to go back. She stood there, staring blankly at the bear in front of her.

Kiru stared right back, a slight look of annoyance on his face. "What do you need?"

"I...don't know where to go."

"Home."

"That's the thing." She was slowly regaining her strength and confidence, and it showed by the look in her eyes. "I don't know where I am. I also don't exactly have a home. I... I can't go back there. Th-they'll kill me like they almost did this time. I... I don't want to d-die..." Her voice and small body started shaking, tears filling her eyes as her throat tightened. She was scared, terrified even. She didn't want to die, not like that. Not in such a painful and humiliating way.

Kiru sighed and shook his head, watching her slowly become hysterical again. "Calm down, I'm not forcing you to go back." He was cold and uncaring, sure, but he wasn't going to just send this sad creature to a violent death. That was just cruel. "I'll...let you stay with me until your wing heals. Or I could take you to a doctor I know who lives around here."

Mello's eyes lit up with something that could be considered happiness or relief, and she bounced a little on her short legs as her hysteria died down. She didn't bother thinking about how her wing would never fully heal and how she'd never be able to fly again — she just wanted to be happy for that small moment. She was going to be safe, at least for a little while. That was enough to make her believe that everything was going to be alright. "Th..thank you," she said happily, trying to sum up all of her feelings in those two words. "Just... Thank you."

I must be going fucking insane.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/02/2014 2:44 PM

{ 1 || 4 } { 1 || 4 }

"Can you climb up on my back? Or do I have to carry you?" Kiru looked over at Mello, a rather bored and blank expression on his face. He wasn't really looking forward to this, though he knew it was his fault for offering in the first place.

"I'll climb up." She hopped a little, flapping her one good wing in an attempt to fly up before realizing that was going to get her nowhere. Ignoring the pathetic feeling she got, she started climbing up one of his paws and somehow managed to get up onto his back without falling or hurting herself even more than she already was. Settling herself down, she said, "Alright. I'm ready."

Great. Now I'm a goddamn birds' nest. He lifted himself up onto his feet and began walking further into the woods towards his small home. The walk was silent, neither of them knowing what to say or really having a desire to talk at all. The walk was fairly short and ended with Kiru stopping in front of a tree with a hollowed out trunk. Slipping in through the opening, he curled up in his makeshift bed.

"There. Welcome home."

You could be a bit nicer, you know. Mello carefully slid down off his back, stifling a sound of pain when she hit her wing on the ground. She looked around, naturally going toward the beam of sunlight coming in from the opening in the tree. She sat herself down in it, staring out into the forest.

"We'll start going to the doctor tomorrow," Kiru said, eyes shut out of what Mello assumed to be tiredness. "It's a while away and it'll be dark soon."

Mello nodded in understanding, though she knew Kiru couldn't see. She looked over her shoulder at him, catching a small glimpse of her twisted wing. Sucking in a deep breath, her eyes shut tightly as she whipped her head back around to face the outside world in an attempt to forget what the mangled mess looked like.

Distantly, she hoped this doctor Kiru kept talking about could just amputate it.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/02/2014 5:43 PM

{ 1 || 5 } { 1 || 5 }

As the sun began to set, Mello heard a soft groaning sound from behind her. She opened her eyes sleepily, having managed to fall into a light sleep as she rested in the sun. There was the sound of a long yawn, followed by soft footsteps coming up behind her.

"Come on," Kiru mumbled, walking over her and through the opening, standing outside in the clearing around the tree. He knelt down, waiting for her to get on his back again. Mello did just that — she got up and climbed up onto his back with slightly less difficulty than before — without asking questions. She figured it would be best to ask on the way to wherever they were going instead of asking right then and possibly pissing him off.

"Where are we going?" Mello asked curiously, looking around as they moved through the forest. She shifted her good wing, trying to ignore the constant throbbing in her right one.

"To get food." As Kiru said this, they came upon the bank of a fairly decent sized lake. He leaned down to let Mello get on the ground before standing up again. It then occurred to him that she might be hungry as well. And then on top of that, he realized that he might have to find food for her.

The mere idea of that made him regret this decision even more than he normally did.

"Are you hungry?" he asked warily, praying that she said no or that she could find food for herself. It wasn't as if she were completely helpless — she had one working wing and two perfectly fine, albeit small, legs. She could get by just fine with that, so she should have no reason to bother his food-finding time because she was incapable.

"Yeah, I guess." Mello glanced around, red eyes shifting to the dirt. She hopped farther away from the lake, having no interest in possibly falling in and drowning. "I can get it myself, though."

Thank god. As she occupied herself with picking at the ground, Kiru waded into the water to find food for himself.

It didn't take long for Mello to get full. She wasn't very hungry to begin with, and the pain from her wing was making her lose any appetite she had. Once she was done finding bugs, she folded her legs up underneath her and waited. Looking out into the middle of the lake, she watched Kiru catch and eat fish — which was a genuinely gross sight to see, in all honesty. She shook her head, turning her attention to the scenery around her. The sun was setting more and a small breeze was kicking up.

This would be a nice night to sleep in a tree... Kinda sucks that I can't fly anymore...

"You ready to go?" Kiru was looking down at her, casting a shadow that fully engulfed her. Small droplets of water fell from his face and onto her head, causing her to flinch and shake her head rapidly. When she stood up, he knelt down and allowed her to climb onto his back once again. Settling herself into his fur, he started walking back to the hollowed out tree.

"Thanks." The word came out without a reason as to why it was spoken. It just felt like the kind of thing to say in a moment like this. To her, at least. Either way, she could always just come up with a lie as to why she said it if he even bothered to ask.

"Yeah. No problem."

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/02/2014 11:11 PM

{ 2 || 6 } { 2 || 6 }

For Mello, the middle of the night was hell.

Not only could she not get to sleep because of the pain in her wing that only seemed to continuously get worse, but it was cold — a lot colder than she was used to. She was used to warm climates and did horribly in the cold. To make it worse, the wind was blowing in a way that it snuck inside the opening of the tree and hit her no matter how many times she got up and dragged herself to a different spot.

Yet whenever she'd look over at Kiru, he'd still be sleeping contently, completely unaffected by the cold — which probably wasn't even that cold to him. She glared enviously, wishing that she could be warm and not in so much pain. She would huff out of envy, distantly hoping it would wake him up so that he would have to suffer at least a little with her.

It's not fucking fair. Why is it me? What did I do to deserve this? Damn I wish I was dead right—

"What's your issue?"

Mello let out a surprised squawk, flapping her good wing instinctively as she whipped her head around towards the voice. Kiru was staring blankly at her, face emotionless. "U-uhm—"

"You've been pacing back and forth all night, then making these huffing noises like someone pissed you off and you're givin' them the silent treatment." He yawned, eyes never leaving the small bird. "'S' pretty damn annoying, to be honest."

She shrunk down into herself, staring back at him with eyes wide and mouth hanging open silently out of fear. He was awake the whole time?!

"Calm down. You act like I'm going to eat you or something." She watched his darkened figure stand up and move towards her, though she didn't move away. She just watched silently as he came over and lifted her up as gently as possible in his jaws and carried her back over to the corner where he slept.

Mello was sat down in front of the makeshift bed, which Kiru laid back down on. "If you want, you can use me to keep warm. I'll try not to hit your wing, but no promises." He shut his eyes after finishing his offer, showing how little he cared about what she did.

This is some kinda trap, right...? This made no sense, though maybe he was doing it just so she would have a reason to owe him something. That was the only logical explanation, so she decided to believe that even if it wasn't true. Letting out a dejected sigh, she shifted closer and curled herself up close to his chest, feeling immediate warmth fill her body. She let out a satisfied chirp, closing her eyes a slowly beginning to fall into a generally uncomfortable but warm sleep.
Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/03/2014 5:46 PM

{ 2 || 7 } { 2 || 7 }

The sun was just beginning to rise when Kiru woke up. Blinking his eyes to wake himself up, he looked down at Mello's still-sleeping form. With a small sigh, he nudged her with his nose.

"H-huh...?"

"Come on. Time to wake up." He stood up, moving away from her to stretch so he wouldn't risk hitting her wing and hearing that migraine-inducing squawking. He looked over at her, watching as she swayed a little while trying to stand before just falling back down. It was obvious she wasn't used to getting up this early and wasn't going to stay up for very long.

You've got to be kidding me.

He went back over to her and nudged her again, waiting for her eyes to slowly and reluctantly open. "We have to leave now if you want to get to the doctor's by nightfall. Just get on me and you can sleep all you want." She stared up at him, taking a good minute or so to fully register what he was saying. She slowly rose to her feet and hopped her way up onto his back. Kiru felt her get in the spot between his shoulder blades and settle herself down.

Once Mello stopped moving, he crawled out of the opening in the tree and out into the clearing. It was still somewhat dark, with the forest being almost completely silent and the air still being somewhat chilly. Taking a slightly deeper breath than usual, Kiru started walking in the direction of the doctor's house.

---

As the sun rose higher and higher in the sky, Kiru began regretting this decision more and more. He was hungry and tired, and he wanted nothing more than to curl up in his bed — broken bird free — and forget that the creature sleeping on his back ever existed.

He began wishing he had paid no attention to the laughing of the group that was chasing her. He wished he had turned around when he saw what was going on. He wished he had just left her to her death — as cruel and painful as that would have been — and carried on with his life, not thinking twice about it.

He let out a low growl, thinking more and more about how he could be sleeping and waking up at noon and going out and catching all the fish he wanted without having to babysit a pathetic bird who couldn't even fucking fly anymore. I could dump her in a bush right now. She wouldn't notice; she's still sleeping. I could run for it and leave her there for the beasts that come out at night. I wouldn't have to worry about anybody but my own goddamn self, just like it should've always been. I'll be free from—

His thoughts were cut off when he felt her shift around on his back, nuzzling her head into the fur on his neck. "Thank you," he heard her mumble softly, "for taking me to get help, I mean. I really, really appreciate it. You're probably the only person who's ever been nice to me before. So... Thanks."

Kiru stayed silent, staring straight ahead as he walked. He faintly heard her breathing go soft again, indicating that she had fallen back asleep. His brain shut off, those few sentences triggering something inside him. She wasn't used to kindness; she was used to people hating her and wishing her dead and wanting desperately to leave her to her fate. Yet he was the only one who hadn't done those things, and she was grateful that he was the one she found with her hideous wing and sob story.

And here he was, fully willing to dump her in a bush with a broken wing in the middle of the forest to let wild animals kill her just so he could become a recluse again.

I'm a fucking monster.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 11/06/2014 11:39 PM

{ 2 || 8 } { 2 || 8 }

It was well after noon by the time Kiru stopped walking and laid himself down under a low-hanging tree. They had stopped for a short time during the middle of the day to get food, but now it was almost dark and they still weren't to their destination — and they were both hungry on top of that.

"We should try to find food," he stated, looking around the area for any kind of lake or river. He let out a tired sigh, raising himself back up and walking further in the direction they were originally heading. "Can you see anything?" he asked, directing the question towards Mello.

"Uh... I think I see something," she answered, standing up on his back to see further. "To the right, I think. I think it's a lake."

"Alright. Thanks." Kiru walked off in the direction she told him to go, eventually coming upon a lake. He gave a surprised 'hm' noise, leaning down to let her get off him and forage for her own food. For some reason, he hadn't really expected her to tell him the truth. Now that he thought about it, it really didn't make much sense, seeing as that could only end badly for her. Maybe it was just his vague paranoia when it came to trusting others.

After Mello finished eating — which was only a few minutes — she sat down on the bank of the lake and watched Kiru, head tilted to one side slightly. "...I got a question."

Kiru looked up, swallowing the fish in his mouth before responding with a quizzical look. "Alright..." He started off, skepticism clear in his tone. What did she want? Wasn't it obvious he was in the middle of something? It couldn't have been of that importance, seeing as there wasn't even a hint of anything in her tone other than boredom. "What is it?"

"It's getting dark," she said, glancing up at the hardly visible sky through the trees. She heard Kiru scoff, followed by the sound of him turning around in the water.

"That's not a question."

"You didn't let me finish," she spat, red eyes narrowing in his direction even though he had his back to her so there was no way he could've seen her actions. "Since it's getting dark, where are we gonna sleep?"

...That's actually a good question. Kiru stopped hunting for food, lifting his head up from the water to scan the area. There didn't seem to be many good places that weren't out in the open or that were big enough for both of them to fit into. "We'll find somewhere," he said after a while, wading back out of the water and kneeling down for her to climb on. "But we should probably keep moving until we find a place."

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 07/02/2015 12:25 AM

{ 2 || 9 } { 2 || 9 }

Kiru laid himself down on the ground, lowering his head and giving the small bird an expectant look. Upon meeting his eyes, realization filled her and she gave a short nod. Mello hopped over — albeit slowly, but steadily — and climbing carefully up his arm and in between his shoulder blades. Once she stopped shifting around, the male rose to his feet.

"So where to?" Mello asked as Kiru started padding down a small path that had been worn away by people traveling in the woods. She looked down at the back of his head, then letting her gaze wander.

"I don't know." His voice wasn't as cold, but there was a faint undertone of annoyance to it. Hadn't he just said he didn't know? Or had she not been listening? Either way, he hoped his answer would give her the hint to just stay quiet while he tried to find a place to sleep for the night.

Luckily, it did.

Mello fell quiet, being content in just looking around at the woods around them. She hadn't been in the forest before — at least, not before the 'incident' that had gotten her wrapped up in this mess. She had been born and raised in the city and never saw any reason for leaving. If she was honest with herself, she was too scared to. She was still scared now, in fact, even with a creature that was a hundred times her size. With something similar to a yawn, the small bird rested her head against the back of Kiru's neck and shut her eyes.

~~~

It was dark by the time Mello's eyes opened again. She was still on Kiru's back, but they were no longer moving, nor were they outside anymore. Blinking the sleep from her eyes — which made her question when exactly she had fallen asleep in the first place — she shifted a little.

"Hey... Where are we?"

"Tree stump."

She hadn't expected an answer, fully believing that Kiru was completely asleep. Or, if he wasn't asleep, that her voice was too quiet and wispy that he wouldn't hear it. The bird gave a small nod, deciding that it would be better to just go back to sleep and quit bothering him. She had already done that enough as it was, along with him walking everywhere and her just riding on him.

Part of her felt guilty, while the other part wondered why he hadn't just abandoned her yet. Did he secretly care about her? Mello doubted that, seeing as he had been acting nothing less than cold to her, regardless of that fact that he was helping her or not. Or did he have some kind of old debt he felt like he had to repay? That made more sense, especially given that he lived alone in the woods like a recluse. Maybe he had been shunned? Or maybe he was just like her and had no friends.

Either way, it was giving her a headache.

With a small grunt, she squeezed her eyes shut tightly and pressed her face into his neck fur. Her body relaxed as she felt herself start falling back asleep — she didn't even know she had been so tired, especially considering she hadn't done hardly anything.

...Thank you.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 07/03/2015 5:24 AM

{ 3 || 10 } { 3 || 10 }

Kiru's eyes opened and immediately shut again in response to the harsh sunlight. He shifted his body, listening for a few moments to see if Mello had woken up yet. When he heard nothing, he slowly and carefully rose to his feet. From his new vantage point, he could see the position of the sun from the hollowed out stump they had taken shelter in for the previous night. It was dawn, which received an irritated grunt.

...Well, might as well get this over with. He left the makeshift shelter and continued down the lightly beaten path they had been following for the past couple of days. They were fairly close to their destination — maybe only another day or two away, especially if he woke up at the crack of dawn again. The thought that they were so close made Kiru want to sprint the whole rest of the way — the quicker he got Mello healed and on her way, the better.

...Or, was it?

Despite his wanting to isolate himself for as long as possible and as much as she had irritated him at first, he couldn't deny that he was beginning to enjoy the company. For the most part, it was annoying; but there were times where he was content with talking to someone other than himself. Maybe he...

"...Where are we...?" Mello's sleepy voice broke through Kiru's thoughts, much to his liking. They were getting into territory he wasn't sure he was comfortable with, especially not with her being right there.

"On our way." His answer was short and simple, but uncharacteristically devoid of snap or annoyance. "I woke up early and figured I might as well take advantage of it."

Mello let out a small snort, adjusting between his shoulder blades. "...You okay?" she asked, a teasing tone with a slightly concerned undertone in her voice. "That's the most words you've said to me since we met. And you're not talking like you're snapping at me."

...Fuck.

Kiru had hoped she wouldn't notice, not until he could decipher what was going through his head. "I'm tired," he lied, hoping it was believable enough to where she wouldn't question it.

"...Whatever you say." She shifted against him again, resting the top of her head against Kiru's neck. She didn't ask or even say anything after that, but the male doubted she believed him. He could hear it in her voice and tell in her words that she didn't.

Whatever. Not that he cared what she thought of him. Or, well... To an extent, he didn't. There was a part of his mind that was nagging at him and filling his body with an unfamiliar feeling he couldn't pinpoint. Anxiety? Maybe. Worry? Also possible. Maybe it was both, he didn't know. He hadn't felt anything for so long he had begun to forget what feelings actually felt like.

"We'll stop to get food soon," Kiru said, wanting to fill the silence. Maybe having some kind of mundane conversation would make him forget everything else.

"Hm?" Mello's head lifted up, and he could feel her eyes burning into the back of his head. "Oh, alright. Cool." And then her head went back down to rest.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 07/04/2015 2:13 AM

{ 3 || 11 } { 3 || 11 }

It was late afternoon when Kiru decided to try to talk to her again. They hadn't talked since the early morning save for a few words during the couple of times they had stopped for food. Now, he decided he wanted to ask something that he had been wondering since they first met.

"Hey, you up?" He waited and, when he received a small grunt, he continued, "Why were you being chased when we first met?"

Mello shifted a little, having laid her head to rest. The pain in her twisted wing had dulled to a painful throb that had begun to make her feel sick and dizzy. She hadn't been eating as much as she normally did, and she had been sleeping — or, rather, trying to sleep — more than most people did. "I dunno," she answered honestly. "They just don't like me, I guess. They never really did. I didn't stick around long enough to ask why."

"Hm." He had really nothing to say in response. Was there anything to say? She had given him a simple answer to his simple answer. Kiru let out a low breath, realizing that his attempts to talk to her had failed yet again.

Maybe if I was better at talking... Or nicer... Then maybe she would—

"Now I have a question for you." Mello's voice caught him off guard, so much so that his head jerked a little. Almost immediately, he feared that he had hurt her, but when his movement was caught with silence, he figured she was still alright. Or, well, as alright as she could be.

"Alright, what?"

"How come you saved me?"

Good question. Even Kiru wasn't sure why he had done it. Maybe he didn't want to watch someone die when he knew he could stop it; or maybe he was just annoyed that he had been disturbed when he was otherwise calm and content.

"Honestly?"

"Huh?" Mello seemed surprised, almost scared. She stayed silent for a while, and Kiru could almost see her hesitating and thinking hard. "...Y-yeah."

"...I'm not sure why I did." Kiru could almost feel the sigh of relief she let out. Had she really thought it was for some bad reason? Now he was wondering what was going through her head that had worried her so much. "I guess... I don't know."

She was silent for a short while. "Oh. Okay." Her head went back down and she fell silent again. After what felt like a long time, she spoke up again. "Well, I'm glad you did, so, uh... Thanks."

"Oh. You're welcome." They both fell quiet as Mello went back to sleep and Kiru focused himself on his walking. His eyes fixed themselves on the forest floor, a small sigh leaving his mouth.

I think I'm glad I saved you, too.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kiarianuu » 07/05/2015 8:02 AM

{ 3 || 12 } { 3 || 12 }

It was the middle of the night when Mello woke up. They had found themselves a small cave that was just big enough to fit both of them. The bird had made a makeshift nest out of moss and dirt in the back corner of it. She adjusted herself and blinked her eyes open sleepily, realizing she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep anytime soon. Why she had woken up, however, was a mystery. Maybe it was the pain in her wing, or maybe her mind was just too busy to allow her to rest.

As she looked around the cave, she also realized that she was alone. Her first thought was that Kiru had finally dumped her and left her to fend for herself and ultimately die. That thought didn't last long, though, as her eyes soon caught sight of a silhouette sitting just outside and off to the side of the cave. With in intake of breath, she rose to her feet and made her way outside to where the bear had sat himself.

"...Can't sleep?" she asked quietly, sitting close to his side and pressing herself against him. It wasn't cold, but the small breeze that ruffled her feathers was enough to make it so that she was.

"No." Kiru looked down at her, a quizzical look in his eyes. "You either?"

Mello shook her head, her eyes gravitating up to the sky. It was a lot prettier out here than in the city. She could actually see all the stars and hear sounds other that noise. A question made its way into her mind, and she shifted uncomfortably as she thought about it.

"What...do I do after I get healed? Like... What if it can't be fixed...?" It was scary for her to think about; that she may never be able to fly again; that she would be stuck to the ground; that she wouldn't be able to get away from danger.

Kiru was silent, thinking over an answer to her question. While she slept, he had thought long and hard about everything — him, her, their situation, the future — and had come to a realization: he did, in fact, care about her and maybe even liked her. If she wasn't able to fly again, then he honestly just believed that he'd keep carting her around as if nothing had changed.

"I'll stay with you," he said after a while of mustering up the courage. It was nothing close to a confession, but it felt damn near close for him. "I'll keep carrying you around like I've been doing. And I'll keep you safe."

Mello's eyes widened, being stunned silent. Her mouth opened and closed a couple times. What was she supposed to say? "I..." She now felt oddly embarrassed; her head turned away from him and looked at the ground next to her. "I'd like that." She fell silent again, shifting her good wing and forcing herself to look up at Kiru. "Promise you're telling the truth."

"Yeah. I promise."

Mello nodded and looked back up at the sky. She let out a content and relaxed breath, feeling a little safer now that he had said that. The calmness didn't last though, as another question filled her head.

"Hey... Kiru?"

"Yeah?"

"If..." She hesitated, shutting her eyes. She let out her breath and continued. "If I do get fixed... Will you still stay with me?"

Silence filled the air between them. Mello felt a ball of anxiety fill her stomach as fear filled her mind. She didn't want him to leave; she didn't want to be alone anymore. Even if he was cold and sometimes mean, he had saved her and cared about her enough to take care of her.

She wanted to stay with him.

"Yeah. I will."

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

—— [ apothecaries ]

Postby Kiarianuu » 08/08/2015 12:53 AM

{ 1 -- 1 } { 1 -- 1 }
Image Image

"Aloe... Aloe..." The young Ursice's face scrunched up in thought. Didn't they already have stacks of aloe? It wasn't as if many people came by to get healed anymore — not many came in the first place due to the hard-to-find location of the cave, and even less came after Nemea's last...healing. Caspar felt a chill run down his spine at the memory, even if it didn't happen to him. He still helped... Upon finding the green plant, Caspar plucked it from the ground and began carrying it back toward Nemea's cave as his thoughts cut off.

He hadn't been living and working with the Likuta apothecary long, but it was long enough in his mind. In just a few months, he had learned exactly why she got little to no business — and why she was working somewhere out deep in the woods where people couldn't easily find her and not in a town getting paid. But, of course, that was probably the reason why he had agreed to be her apprentice.

Well, and fear.

He wanted to help people, and all the ones in his town asked for some kind of background knowledge of the subject — to which he had little to none. Wasn't that what they were supposed to teach him? With no options left, he had wandered off into the forest, hoping to make his way to a neighboring town that would be a bit more lenient with their apprentice requirements.

But instead, he found Nemea.

Scrawny, evil-looking Nemea.

When he had bumped into her gathering various plants, she had asked what he was doing so far from home, telling him she could smell the city on him. Seeing no reason to lie, he had told her the truth. "I want to learn medicine, but no one will teach me." And so she had grinned that wicked and malice-ridden grin and suggested he be her apprentice. He had jumped at the offer, agreeing almost immediately despite her one condition she had made.

"You cannot leave until you finish your training."

Pushing his way into the cave through the over hanging moss, Caspar was greeted at the sight of Nemea pacing back and forth in front of a small bird and a large bear. The three of them turned their heads to look at him, the Likuta making that same grin he saw all the time.

"Put your things down, child. We have patients."
Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

—— [ misfits ] && [ apothecaries ]

Postby Kiarianuu » 08/08/2015 1:34 AM

{ 3 × 13 } { 3 × 13 }
{ 1 × 2 } { 1 × 2 }

Mello shifted a bit uncomfortably as the Likuta — Nemea, she said her name was — continued to pace around her, even after her apprentice had come back. Kiru gave a soft grunt to remind her that he was there, the noise making something like comfort wash over her. Though the night before was really the only time they had ever had any sort of emotional connection (if one could even call it that), she felt as though she could trust him. Of course, she had been trusting him with her life for the past few days, but this was a different trust.

A "realer" trust.

"How long have you been nursing that wound, hm?" Nemea slinked away from her to makeshift shelves of herbs and salves and whatever else she had in this cave.

"U-um..." How long had it been? She'd lost track, now that she thought about it. "A few days, I think."

"Hm..." She returned, dropping a couple plants in front of her. "Eat those, it will numb the pain." While the bird did as she was told, Nemea leaned down and inspected her broken wing closer. "A nasty break," she commented, prodding it a bit with a paw and receiving a sharp intake of breath from Mello and a low growl from the bear seated behind her.

"Will it heal?" Mello's voice held a tone of pleading, eyes glancing to the Ursice that had padded up to his mentor. He whispered something into her ear, his gaze staying on the injured bird. She sunk down a little, pressing herself against Kiru's forearm. Even if it was because of some medical problem, she despised being talked about like...that. It reminded her of how she had gotten into this situation in the first place.

A wet and cold nose touched the top of her head, warm breath seeping through her feathers and to her skin. It was a small gesture, but it brought calm to her anxious heart. Mello tilted her head up a bit to look at Kiru, her eyes meeting his. When their gazes met, he gave a short nod to her. She nodded back and moved her head back to it's normal angle. Even if her wing would be permanently broken and she would never be able to fly again, he would still be there for her. He wouldn't abandon her, and she wouldn't have to fear death anymore.

He'd protect her.

As Caspar finished speaking, Nemea's eyes widened a bit in surprise for a moment. She nodded at him and rattled off a list of plants for him to gather. He made a noise of acknowledgement, going to the stockpile of medicinal herbs in the far back of the cave. The apothecary turned her attention back to Mello, an interested look on her face — though it was rather off-putting, due to being coupled with her unsettling grin. She laid herself down on the ground and watched her curiously, asking a single question.

"You're part human, aren't you?"
Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Next