These woods are nice for a casual walk or even if you have a more adventurous urge. Bubbling hot springs lie just around the bend, fruits can be found to suit every taste bud, and rumor has it there are talking Tali who can speak Lambastian! (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Roraldi Forests

I Fear Not (P)[Finished!]

Postby AuroraSky » 02/05/2015 7:11 PM

They were so deep in the forest now that the sun no longer peeked through the foliage of the trees, their shadows were no longer visible along the floor, and Ashley was no longer sure whether if day had yet fallen to night. She was sure Demetrius would have known, but she felt too shy to ask. She did not want to give the impression that she was not enjoying her time spent with him, or that she was not grateful.

Yesterday, Ashley had found the courage to ask Demetrius if he would accompany her to the Roraldi Forests, as she wanted to restock on some of the herbs that had been native to the area. "I can always buy them in the markets," she had said, "But I much prefer them fresh and organic. Much better potency that way." And like she knew he would, Demetrius had understood, and together they had taken the long trek.

That had been what Ashley imagined...seven hours ago. She had acquired all that she had needed to within the first fifteen minutes of the trip, but Demetrius had just kept walking, and Ashley had just kept following.

They were going at a very slow, very lazy pace, as was the pace of Demetrius. Ashley found herself constantly having to slow down, not wanting to appear rude or as if she was trying to rush him. Besides, when they walked this slow, she could much more easily take in her surroundings of the enchanting scenery around them. She took in a deep breath, the fog around her nose swirling around with the effort.

Demetrius suddenly paused, taking a moment to sniff the air. Ashley eyed him curiously. He blinked, letting his eyes remain closed for a few seconds before opening them back up again. "My dear Ashley," He said, his voice low and rich. "I do believe we have found ourselves, a little company."

[3][61]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 486
Donate

Re: I Fear Not (P)

Postby AuroraSky » 02/06/2015 2:03 AM

She had been trekking through the forest a long time now, spending an aching few hours tracking the pair. Which, even with experience, had turned out to be a much more daunting task than she had originally planned for. Half of that, she was sure, was the forest playing tricks on her. Trying to protect the Bruma and the Lucain, trying to throw her off their scent. Sure, it might have been a farfetched excuse for her having an off day, but one could never be too sure with Demetrius.

And now she had finally found them; strolling painstakingly along a cobblestone path, pausing every now and then so the Lucain could name stupid plants sticking out of the ground. She finally had them in her sights. "I do believe we have found ourselves, a little company." Of course he had sensed her. She would have been surprised if he hadn't.

She slid her weapon from its sheath and without wasting any further time, slid from beneath the bushes. The female Lucain had nearly dived right out of her skin and had squealed a girlish squeal, but Demetrius had calmly turned his head towards the woman. She emerged from beneath the curtain of the fog, her face finally visible to him.

"Arcane." Demetrius greeted cordially, his head giving a slight bow.

"Demetrius."

[36]
[2][62]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 02/06/2015 1:35 PM

Arcane? Oh yes, Ashley had heard plenty about her, and her spine grew rigid just as the memories. No, they two had never (luckily) crossed paths before, but Arcane the assassin had left quite a mark back at the Villas. And the realization that someone who was known for her brutality in her killing styles was standing, swords drawn, right in front of them was slowly setting in on Ashley. She could feel her blood begin to rush in terror, and suddenly her heart was knocking at the door of her throat. Arcane had come to kill them.

Demetrius!

Ashley couldn't just let Arcane kill the old Bruma. No, she had never once fought before, but Ashley would give her life for Demetrius without hesitation. Now, if only to get around those swords...

"Settle down." Ashley looked up in surprise to see Arcane's fierce gaze directly on her. "I'm not here for you. Or him." Could Arcane see the blood rushing in Ashley's body, could she hear Ashley's thoughts? She shivered.

Demetrius however, had not once shown any indication of worry, only curiousity. Why wasn't he panicking like Ashley was? Because he is Demetrius, and perhaps even Arcane would not dare. "You have come a great distance to see me, child." Demetrius spoke. "Do you too share an interested in herbalism?" He asked, smiling a little to himself.

Arcane glare did not waver. "I come with a warning."

[3][63]
[37]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 02/07/2015 2:46 PM

"A warning?" Demetrius asked, his mouth curving up in amusement. "What sort of a warning has caused you to come all of this way?"

Arcane stepped forward, her eyes narrowing further. "This isn't a joke, Demetrius. Your life is in danger."

Ashley stood a little straighter now, her eyebrows furrowing in worry. Demetrius' life? In danger? But who in their right mind would want to hurt someone with the soul of Demetrius? "My life is in danger, eh?" Demetrius asked, batting his eyes a little sheepishly now.

"Yes!" It was clear Arcane was growing annoyed with his lack of understanding. "Do you have any idea where it is that I've been for the last few months?" Demetrius shook his head solemnly. "I feel it is best that I do not know of your...tasks." He did not seem judgmental in his words, as Ashley knew she would have been if she had ever had had the nerve to say them, but stated them as a matter of fact.

Arcane ignored him. "I have been in Basantha. I went there for," She paused. "Business reasons. It was only when I had gotten there I realized that I had been followed."

"Followed?"

"By another assassin. He was good; it had taken me much longer than it should of to realize I was being tracked. He goes by the name of Seeksoul. Do you know of him?"

Demetrius suddenly stiffened, ever so slightly but enough that the woman and the Lucain both noticed, as he nodded his head very slowly, very gravely. "Unfortunately, I do. Which means that I am indeed, very much in danger."

[4][64]
[38]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 02/08/2015 3:52 AM

Ashley was suddenly very full of fear. Demetrius was...was in danger? It couldn't be. It was Demetrius for heaven's sake. She was finding it very difficult to imagine someone who would want to cause the old Bruma any hard. Or anyone that the Bruma truly feared himself. "Who is Seeksoul?" She found herself asking aloud, although she hadn't meant to.

Demetrius sighed. "He is...an associate of an old chum of mine. One associate who has proven to be quite the problem in the past. A problem that I had hoped I would no longer have to contend with." He looked to Arcane. "Why were you followed?"

"He was probably sent to execute me." Arcane answered with a shrug. "Whoever Seeksoul has been employed by now evidently does not want anything, or anyone, to stand in his way with his mission." She gripped her sword handle a little tighter now, as if the assassin had been hiding in the forest around them, ready to pounce. "I am, what you call, a problem."

[39]
[5][65]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 02/09/2015 12:47 AM

"Well," Demetrius exhaled. "I do apologize, dear Arcane, for the trouble I have cost you."

Arcane used a flicker of her sword to wave off his apology. She was no amateur, and although Seeksoul had proven to be quite a match, she refused to be bested by the arrogant bastard. If she was going to die, it would be by the hands of a worth adversary, which Seeksoul was not. "If he wants to come for me, let him." Her yellow eyes shone. "I will be ready for him."

But Demetrius shook his head. "I will not put your life in danger for my own sake, Arcane. You are to distance yourself from this."

Arcane glared in return and she stiffened with impatience. "And let Seeksoul's master mobilize against you? I don't think so."

"W-Who is," Ashley began, breaking into a small sweat when Arcane's angry gaze fell upon her, daring her to continue. "Who is Seeksoul's m-master?" She whispered.

[6][66]
[40]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 02/09/2015 11:58 AM

"Ah, yes. My apologies Ashley," Demetrius said patiently. "There is much you do not know."

"Unsurprisingly." Arcane said under her breath, and before Ashley could help herself she was suddenly scowling at the assassin.

"You see, my dear, from the knowledge I have of Seeksoul," Which, knowing Demetrius, must have been extensive, both the Lucain and the woman had simultaneously thought. "I know that he does not easily take a master. A master implies that he would belong to his associate, and belong to him exclusively for as long as the master would require his services. In fact, I do not believe Seeksoul had even had a master before Caligula." He said thoughtfully.

"Caligula?"

"Yes. I had mentioned an 'old chum' previously, do you recall?" Ashley thought for a moment, and then nodded. "Well I do believe that Seeksoul must have graduated from just a, what do those television shows call him?, a 'hired gun' to an associate of Caligula. Quite a feat, truly; Caligula does not readily form attachments to his employees."

"Seeksoul strikes me as the type that you would get attached to."

[41]
[9][67]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 02/11/2015 1:11 PM

"How is it that you mean?" Demetrius asked her.

Arcane's eyes flickered in the direction of the thickest foliage around them. Just thinking about Seeksoul had made her very antsy, and she was never one to be something as petty as antsy. "Seeksoul is the real deal. In Evelon you can pick up a rock, throw it, and hit an assassin. And for the most part, all of them that I've come across haven't been a challenge; they're constantly overestimating their abilities and underestimating mine. Which has been instrumental to my success."

"But not Seeksoul..." Ashley said weakly, giving Demetrius a very worried look.

"Not Seeksoul." Arcane repeated firmly. "He has real experience; he's a professional. He knows what we do is both a physical and a mental game, and he exercises that philosophy expertly." She recalled the moments in the temple when she had seen his looming shadow whipping against the walls in the candlelight, yet had not been able to find him. He had almost had the drop on her multiple times. If she had moved or reacted just a second more too late, she would be dead and Demetrius would be next.

She gripped her sword.

[10][68][42]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 02/11/2015 1:24 PM

"But," Ashley began, her face twisted up as she tried to process all of this very sudden information. "Why does Caligula want you dead, Demetrius? What's the matter with him? And why would he send someone after Arcane, how does he even know about her?" Her mind burned with the questions as she struggled to connect the dots. Why was this all happening? Demetrius was supposed to live forever. Ashley didn't know what she would do without him.

Demetrius pressed his muzzle on the top of the Lucain's head to soothe her. "Do not be afraid child; there is much you do not know." He smiled a loving smile down at her. "And for your safety, there is much that I cannot tell you. Calilgula's story is one to soil the soul, and that is the last thing I wish for you."

Arcane looked be very annoyed with the tender moment, and wiped the blade of her sword on her shorts. "Caligula knows that if he comes for Demetrius, I will be there stop him. I would give my life for Demetrius." She paused. "I owe him a debt."

[11][69][43]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 03/24/2015 10:33 AM

"What kind of a debt?" Rhea suddenly piped up, her curiosity getting the better of her.

Arcane almost rolled her eyes. "I'm not here to give you a history lesson." She seethed, satisfied only when Rhea was staring back at the ground in silence. What was it exactly that Demetrius found in this girl? Surely there must be some better forms of companionship than this child. "The only reason that I've come out this far in this God-forsaken forest is to tell you that there is a threat and you need to take it seriously."

Demetrius was still for a moment, his eyes glazing over thoughtfully as he stared forward into the dense foliage ahead. "I am taking this seriously, Arcane. Very seriously, believe you me. And I appreciate your sentiment, but I do believe this is a matter of which the Royal Court and the Guardians should hand-"

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 03/24/2015 10:44 AM

Rhea stumbled back in caution and in fear as Arcane burst into a violent bristle. "You can't be serious." Arcane spat, driving her sword very deeply into the earth they stood on in anger. "That's a joke, Demetrius, and you know it. The Royal Court? Those pathetic excuses for Guardians? Please, Caligula will have no trouble outsmarting those morons."

"Arcane," Demetrius warned, unimpressed with her temper tantrum. "Take heed to how you speak about the Guardians. They have done a great deal for our realm and are to be respected."

"Of course, they've done great with all of the simple tasks. Catch an evil wizard here, trap a released demon there, all of the things that don't take much complexity or delicacy. But a matter like this, Demetrius, needs to be handled by professionals." Rhea silently wondered who it was Arcane was referring to, but after her last quip decided it was best to just let Arcane ramble on. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) before she could, Demetrius had suddenly grown very stiff against her, the warmth seeming to be drained from his pelt. Rhea glanced up at him, but his gaze was expressionless as ever.

"Rhea, there's a bundle or marjoram not too far up ahead. It would be wise for us to bring some back home." He whispered coolly, chilling Rhea's spine. Clearly Arcane had said something that upset Demetrius, and he was never upset, so as much as her curiosity burned Rhea decided it was best to excuse herself.

"A-Alright, D-Demetrius." She whispered back. "Call me if you need me." With her head hung low like a kicked dog, Rhea began to make her way further up the trail. For just a second she peeked back behind her, only to see Arcane and Demetrius still locked in a very tense eye contact. Whatever Arcane was about to say must not have been good.

[12][70][44]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 03/24/2015 10:52 AM

Once Rhea was completely out of ear shot and completely out of sight, Demetrius became just a smite less stiff, sighing deeply with the effort. "Arcane," He started, closing his eyes with his tame form of impatience. "You must exercise a practice of caution when referring to such things. Rhea is not of the standing to know about such terrible things, nor would I ever want that for her. The things we know must, at all times, never be threatened to leak to the general public. Do you understand?"

Arcane, wildly unfazed with the idea of disenchanting little innocent Rhea, nodded. "Fine." She half heartedly apologized, but Demetrius knew it was going to be the best he would get. "But since the kid is gone," She said despite the fact that Rhea was older than she, "We have to discuss the possibility of bring S16I into this."

"No."

"No?" Arcane repeated incredulously. "Demetrius surely, surely you don't mean that."

[14][72][45]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 03/26/2015 10:42 AM

"Of course I mean it." Demetrius answered firmly. "Arcane," He glanced off in the direction where Rhea had gone and lowered his voice even further. He knew that Rhea wasn't the kind to eavesdrop, but even if there was the slightest chance he wanted to be sure they would not be overheard. "You know how I feel about your organization already."

"And how exactly do you feel, Demetrius?" Arcane demanded, not caring whether or not she could be heard. Demetrius sighed, realizing that he had offended the girl when he hadn't mean to. "Command, while she has done her part to serve the kingdom, makes me very uncomfortable with the methods that she utilizes to do so. They are unsavory, to say the least." And that he been an understatement. But Arcane did not look as if she was ready to back down.

"It's those methods that save lives, Demetrius. They sacrifice for the greater good of the kingdom, unlike the Guardians. Their moral code restricts them-"

"Their moral code keeps them honorable." Demetrius interrupted, growing very serious now.

Arcane's jaw clenched. "If getting the job done means surrendering my honor, then fine Demetrius. Consider me honorless. But whether you like it or not S16I gets results, and they get results every single time. Honestly, I don't even see why you bother to use the Guardians at all."

[15][73][46]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 03/26/2015 10:48 AM

"You speak so highly of S16I, yet you disaffiliated yourself from them, Arcane." Demetrius pointed out, raising his eyebrows at the young girl.

Arcane shifted uncomfortably and shifted her glance off to the side. "You know why that is." Arcane said in a very low voice now. "Besides, you and I both know there's never any true disaffiliation from S16I." And that was true. Sure, Arcane had been allowed to do freelance work outside of the kingdom, work that she much preferred than anything to do with Skytaen in the first place. But at the end of the day she was, and always would be the property of S16I. And when Command called her in, Arcane knew despite what every fiber of her being told her, she would have to go in ready to surrender her life to the orders Command would give her. "So that's not fair."

"It is exactly things like that cause me to be so skeptical of S16I." Demetrius said gravely. He had known the plight of Arcane, what the Initiative had done to her. And he sympathized with the girl, whether or not she wanted it. "It is exactly things like that that make me think twice about involving Command in any of our affairs."

Arcane wanted to laugh. Even if Demetrius didn't want to tell Command certain things, Command would still know. Command always knew.

[16][74][47]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby AuroraSky » 04/05/2015 5:56 PM

Should Rhea have felt offended that Demetrius had just dismissed her like that? She pondered this while strolling down the path of the forest, half heartedly searching for the herb that Demetrius had requested. Rhea wasn't even sure that he even needed it, but if Demetrius had asked her to do something for him she wouldn't deny him nor question him. But still, it had been a little insulting, hadn't it? After all, she wasn't a child! She was an adult, a full blown adult, who despite what Demetrius thought could handle things. Rhea kicked a rock, now a little annoyed at Demetrius (and annoyed at herself for being annoyed with him).

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so embarrassing if it hadn't been Arcane that he had wanted to speak alone and freely with. Arcane didn't like Rhea, that much had been made very clear, and treated her as if she was a child. Even though Rhea was almost ten years her senior! That wasn't very fair, now was it. Rhea didn't even see what the big deal was, Arcane had just mentioned that Seeksoul and Caligula, whoever they were, should be handled by professionals. Rhea stopped.

Professionals? But, who could be more professional than the Guardians? After all, they were the protectors of all the Skytaen realm and had been doing a darn good job at it. And Arcane acted like they were just a bunch of simpleton mall cops, instead of the Great Guardians. Rhea scoffed. What did Arcane think made her so special?

[17][99][48]

I know you
I walked wi
th you once upon a dream
I k
now you
That look in y
our eyes is so familiar,

a gleam...

AuroraSky
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer