These woods are nice for a casual walk or even if you have a more adventurous urge. Bubbling hot springs lie just around the bend, fruits can be found to suit every taste bud, and rumor has it there are talking Tali who can speak Lambastian! (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Roraldi Forests

Bird Song [p, Zap] [M: L]

Postby Mousen » 06/12/2015 6:31 PM

The air above the lake was alive with thousands of bright green butterflies, swirling and dipping in time to some music only they could hear. They were coherent in their flight, an intricate airborne waltz that would have left any visitor speechless. The only person to see this display was a young man, probably in his early twenties, stood at the end of the small wooden jetty. His eyes shone with a feverish glint and there was sweat upon his brow. He looked ill, but even so, he seemed to marvel at the sight of the butterflies.

He twisted his hand gently and they dived, skimming across the surface of the lake and up again, moving higher and higher until they were just above the trees that surrounded the stretch of water. The boy inclined his head, and the butterflies started to fall. Except, by now, they weren't butterflies at all but oak leaves coming to rest on the forest floor or falling gently onto the glassy surface of the lake.

He braced his hands on his knees, exhaling a shaky breath. Stupid. Stupid Stupid. He'd done too much with that illusion, he'd gotten too ambitious too-- Fuck. He'd chosen the lake for it's out of the way location, it was just on the outskirts of the small university city in which he lived, but in retrospect that seemed like a foolish idea. Russ wasn't sure he could walk, let alone walk back. He took a few steps before the first wave of dizziness hit, and for a moment he was seized by a feeling of absolute panic. If he collapsed now, how long would it be before someone found him? Would Lapin or Asa think to look for him here? Russ looked around desperately for someone to call out to, the quick movement causing him to stumble and fall to the floor. A few moments later, he was unconscious.

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Bird Song [p, Zap] [M: L]

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/15/2015 12:28 AM

Perhaps today wasn't a good day for painting. Finnian's pale eyes flitted up to stare at the sky, an expanse of mottled grey against dark green pine needles. The air seemed to hang heavy with moisture, though Finnian himself didn't quite notice. He'd been failing to notice a myriad of things, lately. But he certainly noticed the sudden breeze that buffeted his greyish locks around his pallid face, obstructing his view just as he thought he saw a flash of shining green over the lake. He brushed the hair away with his free hand only to find he must have been imagining things; it was only a fluttering of oak leaves winding through the air and falling to the lake.

It was strange, but there was something about a cloudy midmorning that made Finnian terribly sad. The satchel full of paint around his shoulder bumped softly against his hip, a constant pressure that kept him grounded, kept him from staring at the sky for too long. That, and the edges of the easel under his arm were beginning to dig into his skin. But all of that hardly mattered, for suddenly, Finnian's eyes were locking on the figure of a young man who was falling, hunched and frail, to the ground by the lake, and Finnian felt his body lurch in surprise. No heartbeat thudded in his chest--no, it was a different sort of feeling. A feeling of dread that seemed to make even the pale violet veins in Finnian's wrist pale to whiteness.

The boy rushed quickly, stumbling over his feet and laying his easel and bag down with a frantic flutter of movement halfway through the grass. And all at once he was there, kneeling down beside the unconscious figure and shaking his shoulder. "Dear gods--Hello? Sir, are you alright?" It was an odd term to use for someone who was likely the same age as he was, if not a year or two his elder, but Finnian wasn't paying much attention to the young man's age. He brought a hand to the man's face and frowned, wishing he could feel whether or not the man had a fever, but he felt no heat, no lack thereof. Strange. Strange feelings that plagued him, ones he tried not to think too hard about. Well. Better safe than sorry--Aonbharr would know what to do for the boy.

With a small grunt of effort Finnian had bent down and lifted the boy as best he could--frankly, he was rather lightweight, and after carrying the easel and paints, it wasn't too much of a noticeable difference. Finnian huffed as he righted the young man, and he set out trudging in the direction of his cabin, nestled in the forest up the stream. He blinked as he felt the plop of a raindrop hit his head, and he glanced back at his easel and paints ruefully before sniffing once, dismissing the regret and focusing on his task. He could always retrieve those later, and that painting on the easel he'd been working on wasn't all that impressive anyhow.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Mousen » 07/05/2015 3:57 AM

Russ shifted in his sleep. He didn't open his eyes, but wondered where he was all the same. He didn't quite remember returning to the dorm, let alone falling asleep. The bed he was currently in felt closer to the floor, and was a little less comfortable than his usual bed back in his dorm room. Had he spent the night at someone's? No. He would have definitely remembered that.

It was then he opened his eyes, and after a moment or two of baffled confusion he remembered what had happened. Someone had obviously taken pity on him after he'd passed out by the lake. A cursory glance around him suggested he wasn't far away. He was in a small, plainly decorated wooden cabin, the only luxuries being the artists equipment laid in one corner and out of the window he could see trees, the same mix of pine and oak  he'd visited yester-

Wait, how long had he been out? Had Asa and Lapin been looking for him? Had he missed his lectures? What if they'd phoned the police, or his parents?

He sat up, wincing at the residual stiffness in his limbs. "Hello?"

((This post is so short sorry -sobs-))

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby zapdragon555 » 07/10/2015 12:49 AM

[Noo it's fine omg <3 Mine will prove to be very short along the line, likely. xD]

As serendipity would have it, Finnian was just coming back from a short trip into the town. He'd lost a few art supplies in the storm, and he was feeling a little sorry for it, but it was a fine opportunity to buy some new ones, as well as food for his new guest! Finnian didn't know much of anything about cooking, so he'd bought a fine loaf of bread and some cheese, as well as a thin bottle of wine.

He really missed eating. Humming to himself as he approached the cabin, Finnian shifted the things in his arms and carefully nudged his way through the entrance, the wooden door squeaking on its hinges. He blinked at the movement and life in the room, startled by the simple difference of having someone awake in his home. "Oh, you're awake!" he piped, light eyes widening with a smile. He shuffled over to the simple kitchen area and set down the bags with a huff, then ran a hand through mussed, pale hair and smiled over at Russ, darting over to his bedside to look him over. "Hmm... you're still looking a little pale. What happened? Do you remember? I just found you by the lakeside, you collapsed and all..." Finnian was abuzz with questions--he couldn't help it! It had been so long since he'd really talked with another person.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Mousen » 07/13/2015 1:15 PM

Not even a minute after Russ spoke, the door swung open. The man that walked through it was about his age and dangerously pale... There was something ethereal about him, Russ couldn't help but notice. Even carrying groceries under his arms, he looked otherworldly, as though he didn't quite belong on the same plane of existence as people like Russ. "Um." he began, taking a moment for the questions to register, and another moment still for him to come up with a sensible answer. "Yeah. I remember. My health isn't so great, I came down to the lake for some air and I must of blacked out, I guess." Russ did his best to look convincing, he wasn't sure how believable that explanation was.

Russ sat up a little further, running a hand through his hair. He was of average height, with rather pale grey eyes and a smattering of freckles across  his nose. "I... Did you bring me here after I passed out? What happened?" There were other questions Russ needed the answers to, but he didn't want to bombard the stranger, especially not after they'd shown him such kindness.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 07/15/2015 6:19 PM

Finnian's brows knitted in a worried expression at the mention of poor health, and on instinct he reached forward to lightly touch Russ' forehead with the backs of his fingers. He blinked, remembering something, then pulled his hand back with a soft clearing of his throat and what might have been a blush of embarrassment, had he the ability to do so.

He hadn't been able to feel temperature in a very long time, but old habits died hard. Quickly wiping his expression over with a smile, Finnian nodded his head, shuffling away a step to give Russ a little room. He jumped as he realized something, and darted towards the art supply-littered corner of the room for a short stool to bring over. He sat down on his knees so that he was just a little bit shorter than Russ, settling down. "I was coming down to the lake to paint, and... well, I saw you fall down. So I ran over, but you were already out cold... I dropped all my stuff and carried you back here, because it was starting to rain--ah, that was... about three days ago," he admitted, large eyes wide as he looked up at the other boy. "You're probably pretty hungry!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 07/22/2015 4:00 AM

Finnian's fingers were cold against his forehead. Was he really that warm? He lifted a hand to his head and frowned, no, he wasn't that warm. His host was just freezing. Russ hoped that it was just an indication of the weather outside, rather than an indication of his host's health. He seemed nice.

Three days! His eyes widened. He hadn't expected to be out that long. People were definitely looking for him. Unless Lapin was covering for him, but even then, the demon didn't know his whereabouts all of the time. It was quite possible that he was as worried as everyone else. Well, worried. As far as demons went, Lapin was mild-mannered, but Russel doubted he'd waste too much of his energy in concern for him. "Oh wow, I didn't think it'd been that long. Shit." Realizing that his host may not be too keen on cursing, he added. "Sorry. Sorry. I just don't think anyone knows I came down here, so I've probably given everyone a good scare by now."

After a moment or two lost in worrying, Russ realized he was being rude. "Um. Thank you, for saving me and bringing me into your home. It's very kind of you." He gave Finnian a soft smile. "I'm Russell Friedrichsen. I'm a student at the university."

At the mention of being hungry, part of Russ wanted to make his excuses and leave and put whoever was worrying about him out of their misery. But, equally, it was a long walk back to the university from here and Russ really needed to see if he was up to it. Either way, he was more likely to manage the walk back after having something to eat, that, and after three days, he was starving. "Yeah, kind of." he admitted.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/28/2015 12:01 AM

Finnian didn't seem very phased by the curse word. In fact, his nose wrinkled slightly in a quiet giggle as Russ tried his best to cover it up. His laughter faded slightly at Russ' next words, brows knitting. "Oh, that's no good... I wasn't sure where else to take you." At the mention of a university, Finnian looked a little perplexed, brows raising curiously as he made his way over to the small kitchen. "I didn't know there was a university nearby. You're welcome, though--I couldn't just let you lie there. Forget 'everyone,' you gave me a good scare!" he laughed slightly, reaching into the bags and pulling out the loaf of bread and chunk of cheese, then bottle of wine as an afterthought. "Do you drink?" he asked as a followup question, unwrapping the loaf and tearing off a chunk of it, then holding up the wine bottle for clarification.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/21/2015 5:45 PM

"Oh, no. It's not your fault. I'm really very grateful." Russ replied, earnest. He didn't want Finnian to think he'd caused trouble for Russ when it was quite the opposite. Russel didn't even want to think about what might had happened if the other boy hadn't seen him collapse. Part of him was tempted to make his excuses and return to the university, but, after being unconscious for so long, he didn't want to push his luck. Besides, now he was awake, Lapin might actually be able to track him. Russ wasn't sure how all of this demon stuff worked, but they had a connection at least. Maybe he could use it, somehow?

Russ laughed a little, running a hand through the back of his hair. "Sorry about that." It wasn't as if he could help it, but he did feel a little bad about causing Finnian so much fuss. Although Russ was thankful for his, well, knight in shining armor, it did seem a little strange that he had no idea there was a university so close by. It seemed as if he didn't get out much. Was that normal for artists? They could be quite secluded. Perhaps Finnian was a recluse and just by being here Russ was irreparably damaging Finnian's muse? Russ looked over at the boy, and decided against that theory. Somehow, it didn't sit right.

The student considered his health, and then the wine. He shrugged his shoulders. "Sure, if you're offering. I hope I'm not putting you out by staying for awhile, Finnian. I mean, I'll have to go back to the university soon, but..."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/10/2015 5:18 PM

Finnian smiled at Russ' apology, clicking his tongue softly in a kind teasing scolding. "I accept your apology," he chuckled, turning on his heel and bringing the bread and cheese over, as well as the bottle of wine. "Oh, hang on, you need a glass," he murmured, practically shoving the bread and cheese into the student's hands and darting back to the kitchen. The way he moved, he seemed to glide over the floor with little effort, but never too fast. Distracted, maybe--he stalled in the kitchen for a few moments, as if trying to remember what he was doing, then stood up on his toes to open the cabinets. He pulled out a clouded glass, blinking at the cobwebs on it with knitted brows. That was... odd. He was fairly sure he'd used this recently...

Well, no matter. He went to the sink to wash it out a bit, silent as he contemplated what sort of spider lived and died in such a short amount of time, then went back over to Russ with a clean glass and a smile. "You're not putting me out at all! It's not often I get visitors," he mused. An understatement. "You can use my bed; I think I have an old mattress I can pull out. It's no trouble," he insisted softly, reaching for the wine and popping the cork, carefully pouring a bit of wine into the glass and holding it out.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/25/2015 1:24 PM

Russ fumbled with the bread and the cheese as they were thrust into his hands. He watched Finnian disappear into the kitchen, and sat, awkwardly for a moment or two. He shakily got to his feet, placing the items on a plain wooden table in the room. Well, he could stand. He brushed his wrinkled clothes down and ran a hand through his hair. His reflection in the small windows wasn't much help, either way he figured he looked terrible. It didn't really matter if he was presentable or not, he had been unconscious for three days.

That in itself was odd, though. Perhaps Lapin had had something to do with it? It certainly wasn't how his condition usually manifested. The only way his questions were going to be answered was to head back to the dorm and find out himself.

He accepted a glass from Finnian. "Oh, thank you." The boy seemed genuinely sweet. He wondered how he came to be living here, seemingly on his own. "I'm going to have to go back to the university soon, honestly. Who knows what my friends think. I didn't tell them I was going to be down here, so they're probably worried sick." It was hard to imagine his cynical best friend Asa "worried sick", but he was probably concerned by now. "I could come back and see you, though, if you like? Once I've let them know I'm okay."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/27/2015 2:35 AM

Finnian blinked at that, looking up at Russ with a confused expression flickering in his eyes. He paused, then seemed to get it, but seemed the tiniest bit disappointed all the same. He kept the smile, though, especially after Russ' suggestion that he might come back, and the little spark of excitement returned to Finnian's light eyes. "I'd love that very much! Like I said, I very rarely get any sort of company, all the way out here. It's a good thing you can stand and walk a little bit," he mused with a nod, setting the wine bottle down on the bedside table. Weirdly, it seemed Finnian didn't have much interest in the food or drink at all.

Finnian tensed in surprise as the front door's knob jiggled slightly, and the door opened to reveal a tall, rather strangely beautiful man with pale skin and sunken eyes. "A-ah, Aonbharr!" Finnian chirped, startled, spinning on his heel and putting himself between Russ and the newcomer, a nervous smile on his face. "You're back a bit early, aren't you--"

Aonbharr seemed tense as well, if in nothing else but his posture. His expression remained calm, cold even, a crooked smile on his pleasant face. He'd let down his guard, right as he walked in--he'd let his true aura show, but as long as this stranger didn't notice, the demon had nothing to worry about. "You let a visitor in without my permission?" the newcomer rumbled softly, and Finnian's smile grew a little fixed as he laced his fingers nervously behind his back, his tongue tied. "Why...?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 01/15/2016 5:51 PM

(Ahah;; I'm the worst!)

Russ smiled. "Maybe tomorrow evening? Everything should have calmed down by then." Worst-case scenario, Lapin or Asa would insist upon accompanying him, and it seemed as though Finnian could use the company. Although, Russ would rather speak with the boy alone, it seemed rude to drag other people into his home without asking. "You could show me some of your paintings, if you like." Russ offered. It was the least he could do, considering how much Finnian had gone out of his way to help him.

Russ turned as the door opened, a little flicker of fear running down his spine, although he couldn't place it. The man that walked into the cabin seemed normal enough, although Finnian seemed a little nervous. Was Aonbharr a relative, his landlord perhaps? "It was my fault, sir." He said, stepping slightly to the side of Finnian, so he could face the newcomer directly. "I passed out by the lake, away from the university. I've got a medical condition, I'm usually fine but it flares up occasionally." Not strictly true, but he could hardly mention the magic, after all. "Finnian brought me here to recover. I was just going to get my bearings and then head back to the university. I'm sorry if I've inconvenienced you in any way." Russ inclined his head slightly, for the first time since he woke up feeling like he was intruding in Finnian's home.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2016 3:27 AM

(Nooo it's okay omg. xD <3)

Finnian twitched slightly in surprise as Russ stepped to his side, and he seemed to shrink just a little bit as Russ addressed Aonbharr directly. The tall man narrowed his hollow eyes, eyeing Russ up and down slowly, taking in his pale complexion and mussed appearance. The story checked out, at least... and Aonbharr wasn't entirely heartless. So Finnian had done a good deed, taken pity on a human. But he knew better than to cross that rule. "It's good that you're safe and sound, then," the man spoke, offering a thin smile. "Do you need an escort back to this university of yours?"

"N-no!" Finnian suddenly blurted, grey eyes wide, before his lashes fluttered in surprise and he cleared his throat, unable to tear his eyes away from Aonbharr's. "I-I mean--no, he, h-he knows the way just fine, and he's really doing much better. Aren't you, Russ?" His voice had taken on a cheery note as he turned to look at Russ, offering him a bracing smile that seemed both insistent and apologetic at the same time. Something in his eyes was certainly trying to convey something, and had they been a little less glassy, it might've been clearer what that something was.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/15/2016 4:44 PM

"It's all because of Finnian. He's obviously an exceptional soul, to show me such kindness." Russ's tone was slightly clipped, he was vaguely aware of Aonbharr's displeasure about something, and so was making an attempt to redeem Finnian as much as possible. Russ didn't like the situation at all. There was something he was missing, but the student just couldn't place what it was. It was making him more than a little nervous.

Already aware of something amiss, Russ quickly picked up what Finnian wanted him to say. "I'm feeling much better. There's no need." He smiled at Aonbharr, trying to look grateful. "Besides, they'll be an uproar when I get back, I've been missing for quite awhile, now. If you accompany me, you'll get caught up in it all. I wouldn't want the university to detain you, they're such frightful bores over things like this." Frightful bores? Really? Who was he, a member of the Famous Five? Ugh.

Testing his luck, for better or worse, Russel added. "Though, if I may take advantage of your generosity for a moment longer... I wonder if Finnian might just accompany me outside and point me in the direction of the lake? I know I can find my way back from there." The cabin wasn't really visible from the lake, although it sat pretty much right by the lakeside. It wasn't an unreasonable request, though it was perhaps a little suspicious.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next