These woods are nice for a casual walk or even if you have a more adventurous urge. Bubbling hot springs lie just around the bend, fruits can be found to suit every taste bud, and rumor has it there are talking Tali who can speak Lambastian! (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Roraldi Forests

Re: Picnic of Two Houses [L] [Self]

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/27/2017 12:56 PM

Toxic dug a plate out of the cabinet above one portion of the counter, and placed it beside the cutting board. Then, she began to divide the pile of black olives that she had already cut up between the two. Equal parts left on the cutting board, and on moved over to the plate.

Next, she decided, came the pickles. So she pulled a decent sized jar of dill pickle chips, those usually used on burgers and sandwiches, out of the fridge.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/27/2017 1:01 PM

They were specifically chosen because pickle chips tended to have more flavor than whole pickles, and it was that impact of flavor that was important in one of the pasta salads.

Setting the jar on the counter top, she pried it open with a little effort, and set the lid aside. That done, she pulled a fork out from one of the drawers, and carefully used it haul small pile after small pile of pickles onto the cutting board.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/27/2017 1:12 PM

Once satisfied with the amount of pickles that had been piled up, she grabbed the steak knife that she previously used to slice the olives and set about cutting each and every pickle chip into several smaller pieces. The black olives and pickles on the cutting board were both going into the same pasta salad, so she didn't worry about the two getting mixed up together.

It took a little time but, before she knew it, she was finished cutting up the pickles, too.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:04 PM

Those finished, there was just one more ingredient that she needed to prepare for one of the pasta salads. Not only that, but she had already started preparing it, too.

Once she pushed the pickles aside on the cutting board, she set the knife back down, and went to fetch something that had been waiting in the microwave. It hadn't been cooked there, but she kept it there as they finished cooling, to keep them out of the way.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:08 PM

It was sort of both miraculous and horrible that something as odd as spam, a canned meat, existed not only in Toxic's original world, but this one, too. The pasta salad she was making was one borrowed from her mother; she learned how to make it only by watching her when she was young. It was one of the few things she had from her, still, now that time and space separated them. It was something she enjoyed as a child, and something her mother made for most spring or summer outdoor celebrations. So, while spam was a strange thing to begin with, she was actually thankful it was here, so she could replicate her mother's recipe.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:10 PM

The young woman did one thing very different than her mother, though, when preparing it. Toxic had only tried it on a whim, but she liked it. While her mother just used to throw in the spam straight out of the can without any extra prep, aside from chopping it into small bits, Toxic found that she liked the taste once it was lightly fried. Frying it brought out the more salty flavor that it had and, in doing so, it meant that she could use less spices in the pasta salad, altogether.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:13 PM

She thought it was a great trade off; if something was already salty, then why add more salt, when you could just bring out the flavor otherwise?

Of course, in order to add it to the pasta salad, which was a cool dish, she needed to fry it before hand and give it time to cool down entirely; which was exactly what she did. Toxic had cut it into slices and fried it all up, before even boiling water to cook the noodles in.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:16 PM

By now, the slices were completely cooled down, and ready to be sliced up. So, the woman grabbed the plate they had been sitting on and removed it from the microwave, closing the microwave door afterwards. Then, after setting the plate of spam down on the counter, she moved one slice from the plate to the cutting board. With the knife, she sliced it, long ways, twice, creating three long strips. After that, she cut them all into smaller pieces in one go.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:19 PM

These steps were repeated over and over, until each and every slice of spam was cut into small pieces, each an acceptable size for the pasta salad.

With all the ingredients for one prepared, it was time to separate the noodles. Toxic rinsed her hands in the empty side of the sink once more, before kneeling down to pull a very large bowl from the cabinets beneath the counter. She had more than one of these bowls on hand, given the many times she had to use them.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:23 PM

Once the large bowl was set aside on the counter, and thank goodness she had so much counter space to work with, she went to fetch the colander. She picked it up by the handles, lifting it out of the sink, and bounced it a few times, just to make sure that any stray drops of water fell into the sink and not on the floor, before carrying it over to where she had been working on everything else.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:25 PM

Knowing it was best to wash her hands once again before handling the noodles, as she had been handling ingredients for this pasta salad that would not be in the other one, she returned to the sink and did just that, with soap and almost too-warm water. Only once she had done that, did she return to begin separating the noodles.

Using her hands, she began to separate the noodles. Half of them ended up in the bowl, while the other half remained in the colander still, for now.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:31 PM

It was as she began to toss in the other ingredients into the bowl, the ones all sitting on the cutting board up until then, that someone appeared to interrupt her. There wasn't really any sound as they approached, but there was the small sound of someone clearing their throat, to get her attention, before speaking up, "Z should be arriving soon."

Toxic didn't stop what she was doing to look over at her small Myu Reaper companion, already knowing who it was from her voice alone, but she nodded her head in response. "Thanks, Xero."

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:45 PM

The small cat, Xero, was more than what she appeared, talking aside, although no one was aware of that, just by looking at her. Originally, she had been nothing more than a stuffed toy. One that Z had given to Toxic as a gift in the past. Xero had been precious to the woman. She named the plush, even gave it a gender, and she kept it on her bed each night. If things were particularly difficult, if painful memories of the past swept in while she was lying in bed with nothing to do but think, she would even hold onto her as she fell asleep.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:48 PM

This world was a miraculous one. Those feelings of Xero being so precious to Toxic, that was what made the once plush ca as she was today. She was brought to life. Not just moving, but she could speak, she was intelligent. Xero never returned to her plush state, even after all this time, and Toxic gained a permanent companion. Both hoped things would remain as they were, although it was a discussion that was rarely brought up, these days. After all, having Xero around was second nature.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 08/31/2017 2:51 PM

The Myu Reaper waited in the entryway to the kitchen for a moment, before walking inside. "So, why the picnic, anyway?"

It had all been Toxic's idea, so the household just went along with it; it wasn't something out of the ordinary, for Toxic to randomly decide to do these sort of things, after all. No one really had any complaints. But Xero was curious, of course, since it had come out of nowhere. Toxic could be pretty random sometimes, but she wondered if there was more to it than that.

[Wild Pet Found]

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous