These woods are nice for a casual walk or even if you have a more adventurous urge. Bubbling hot springs lie just around the bend, fruits can be found to suit every taste bud, and rumor has it there are talking Tali who can speak Lambastian! (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Roraldi Forests

Histrionics [P, Indigo - M:L]

Postby Mousen » 10/09/2017 6:50 PM

Hylas had a plan. It was, they thought, a rather excellent one. Some noble girl had decided that it would be a good idea to run off with her lover, despite the fact that she was engaged to be married to someone else. That someone else was rather keen to have their bride-to-be back, and that was where Hylas came in. Hylas, and their band of rogues, who were currently hiding some ways into the forest.

The information Hylas had been given was this: that the girl and her lover were on their way out of the country, and that if they wanted to get out of the country, this was the main path that they would come through since it connected Roraldi with the main road between regions. This suited Hylas's purpose immensely. They were of a slight build, swamped by an elaborate set of priestly robes which proclaimed them to be a servant of the god Jappes, whoever that was. Red hair fell in soft curls around their face. They didn't look like they were up to no good.

In the distance, they could hear the wheels of a carriage. Right. Showtime. They mussed up their hair, shrugged a robe off of one shoulder and moved a hand across their face. Where their hand had been, buts and bruises appeared. They took a step back from the road, so as to be out of sight until the carriage moved around the corner.

It was all a matter of timing.

As the sound grew louder, Hylas moved into view, their hurried, faltering gait suggesting someone who was in desperate need of assistance. Then, as they got to the centre of the road, they tripped, sprawling across the dust track. They went to get up and fell again, this time remaining where they were. With any luck, they wouldn't end up being run over.

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Histrionics [P, Indigo - M:L]

Postby Indigo » 10/19/2017 5:33 PM

It was a much nicer carriage than they were used to traveling in. The job had paid out far better than they'd expected—apparently they had gone "above and beyond" what they were asked to do, though none of them could agree on exactly how—and Kailar had splurged a little, because they had a long way to go and it would be nice to be comfortable the whole way, for once. But she'd still opted to drive it herself. There was no need to get too fancy.
ImageImage

"I just don't feel right about it, K. We did a good job, but all we did was the job. It just feels like stealing."

"Gustav..."

"It's not the same. You know it isn't."

Kailar sighed. "I know, but there isn't anything we can do about it now. When we get back to Sutterford I'll send them a letter offering free work, whatever they need, to balance it out. Is that acceptable to you?"

"Ye—whoa!" He leaned over and grabbed her arm, making her pull the horses sideways with unnecessary force, and then bringing them to a halt. "Sorry!" he said, over muffled expletives from their friends inside the carriage. "Look." There was, she now saw, someone lying in the road.

Gustav blurred into shadow, and a moment later was beside the fallen figure. Kailar climbed down after him at a more reasonable pace. "Looks like a priest," she said as she approached. "Any idea who of?"

"Not remotely."

"Let me see." Aspen had most likely exited the carriage as soon as it had been safe to do so, and now she knelt by the priest, examining their robes. "No one I know. I can get Loilinar to look into it, but if it's someone minor it might take us a while."

"That's fine, it's not the most important thing anyway. Henderson can do some medical stuff, right?"

"Only very basic...stuff," Gustav said, "but we're not too far from home now, and we might be able to stop off somewhere on the way. Shall we get them inside?"

Henderson sat taut in the carriage, clearly prepared to act at the first sign of danger, though what exactly he would do in that scenario was less apparent. He was visibly confused by this turn of events but did not relax. "Are we in the business of collecting priests now?"

"What do you expect us to do? Just run them over?" Kailar said.

"Well, no, but you never know why someone might be lying in the middle of the road," he said, "and we'll be vulnerable until we've had a chance to properly rest. Especially in an enclosed space, with no one else around..."

"I'll stay back here, then," Gustav said. "Three against one is pretty good odds. We should get moving, though. If this priest is being chased—that seems more likely to me, I have to say—then we don't want to stick around for whoever might be coming."

"Right." Kailar climbed back out and up to the box seat. It took some convincing to get the horses moving again, after the unsettling nature of their stop, but she managed to steer them back in the right direction, and they continued toward Sutterford.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/22/2017 6:03 PM

It took... maybe a minute before Hylas realised the extent of the fuck-up that they had thrown themselves headlong into. They didn't let it show, though, they didn't tense as they were picked up and allowed their head to loll onto their shoulder as they were placed inside the carriage. They needed time to think, dammnit.

They had no time to figure out if these people were friendly or not. Sure, they hadn't ran them over, and had gently placed them into the carriage... but, for all Hylas knew they could be cannibals or something. Finding a priest half-dead on the roadside was like picking up a dazed pheasant from the verge. No. That was dramatic and unlikely.

They couldn't even pretend to come around and ask to be dropped off, because, a few minutes down the road and a blind turn later, the carriage would ambushed. Their merry band of misfits were waiting, armed to the teeth, and the while the girl was getting further and further away. Ugh. This road was usually empty. Hylas was normally so lucky. This was not an acceptable turn of events, not that they could change it, but internally, Hylas was fuming.

To make matters worse their only sensible choice was to do something that they hated. Something they only did when all other were avenues defunct: they were going to have to break character and tell the truth.

Still. There was no need to do that without their usual grace and style. Hylas stirred, opening large, imploring blue eyes and fixing them on the two figures sat in front of them. Their voice was soft, but determined. "I need you to stop the carriage."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby Indigo » 11/08/2017 3:47 PM

Henderson's fingers tapped an anxious rhythm on his knee without his willing it. He would never say he didn't trust Kailar's judgment, or Gustav's, but that did nothing to calm his nerves. He was going to run through all the worst-case scenarios whether he believed any of them or not.

Aspen was conferring with Loilinar under her breath, probably still pursuing the deity question, and Gustav was cloaked in shadow and might as well not have been there, which left Henderson solely responsible for reacting when the priest woke up. Wonderful.

He looked down into the priest's eyes with a completely unaffected bemusement. "Stop the carriage?" That didn't make sense with any scenario he could think of—if the priest was planning to attack them it would be better not to bring Kailar in here and have to take on everyone at once, and if they were on the run it was even stranger of a request. He turned to Aspen and prodded her with his foot.

"What?" Her eyes were closed, which he always thought made the god-conferring thing seem a lot creepier, and which he knew she didn't actually need to do. He nudged her again and she opened them to make a face. Then she turned to look at the priest. "Hey, listen, we're trying to help you. Calm down."

"Maybe they're worse off than we thought," Henderson said. It was entirely possible he'd missed something, trying to examine a stranger right after a job while incredibly stressed out, and he wasn't a real medical professional anyway, and this had been a terrible idea all around.

Aspen was still explaining, maybe excessively. "Look, we'll be back in town pretty soon and then we can get you to a real doctor—no offense, Henderson—and help you get back to whatever you were doing, but we can't do that if we stop the carriage in the middle of nowhere, you see?"

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Mousen » 12/20/2017 7:46 PM

Now their eyes were open, Hylas could get a good look at each of them. The one who answered him didn't seem too unusual, but one could never tell. The other one was a priest, by the look at the robes on her. The final figure in the carriage looked... intimidating to say the least. Hylas would not want to go up against him in a fight, then again, Hylas' favourite kind of fight was one that they could run away from, so it didn't say much. All in all, they seemed... reasonably competent looking. There really was no way out of this other than their current course of action.

"I am the child of Jappes, God of the winds that rustle the tops of the trees, god of the air before a storm, ruler over the things that only seem to be. Trust me, for the good of all of us, you must stop the carriage." There was a breathless quality to their voice, their hair was windswept and cottered, it twisted carelessly about their face. They looked every inch the child of some divine thing. "There's an ambush waiting."

"Also," Hylas said, without the same tone of mystery. "I know those morons and those morons and I were only expecting one carriage on this road tonight. They'll think you're the lady we're supposed to be returning all safe and sound to her family. I don't suppose you want to loose the deposit on this thing." They swept a hand over their face, and the dirt and bruises lifted, revealing a heavy dusting of freckles. Their robes stitched themselves back together. "Sorry for the disturbance, folks."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate