A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Put the Kettle On [P, Duskie | M ]

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 9:17 PM

Atlas caught sight of him by the doorway and paused. He watched him there a moment and wished the earth would swallow him up. He really couldn't do anything right.

"I'm here," he skirted round the edge of the door, settling down on the sofa he'd fallen asleep on before. "Do you want to...?" he paused. "I guess I should just, say my piece. I've been trying to work out what I would say if-- I've always been so bad at this."

He couldn't make eye contact. "I left after kissing you because I was stupid. It was never because I didn't want you, it was because I did and I couldn't take it. I'm really good at messing things up," he gestured. "I thought, I thought, somehow if I left we'd have one good memory each or-- no, I don't know." But he did, he did. "I don't... deserve you. To be in the same room as you. To be near you. I knew it then, and I know it now. Can you honestly tell me I've done anything other than hurt you?" The recitations had payed off. He wasn't going to pieces. "I get so wrapped up in it I can't see the way out and all I could see was you, and me never being good enough and I was really stupid."

He took a moment to collect himself. "After I left, I pretended I was okay for awhile and then started to do anything to keep my mind off of things. I went into the faery roads. My mother, she's the one who sent the hounds after me. I didn't follow the rules of the place, didn't pay my respects properly. Instead I just fucked my way around the courts and drank enough elderberry wine to kill a man. I've been running from the hounds for... almost two weeks. They caught up with me three days ago. I didn't mean to come here, I had to stay away from the forests, the cities, anywhere with cover. I thought I was going to die. I got scared and came to you out of desperation, knowing you'd help and knowing how much it would hurt you to see me again." He made himself sick, perhaps Rexus would feel the same way now he was finished.

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 9:27 PM

Rexus listened with his head bowed. Tears spilling on to the note pad before he tore the page out and practically threw it at Atlas.

On the page was the spilling of all of his guts. All of the things he felt, the twisting coil in his chest, the cackling demon on his shoulder, the pain and the heartbreak. The wonderment and adoration. And at the end, underlined, was one simple line.

What did I do to mess it up?

Rexus slowly wrote another line on the fresh paper, his heart in his throat, his lips trembling with unbidden sobs.

You could have told me.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean
A brand new emotion come true, ooh
Don't let this night, don't let this night go

How long 'til you play me the song
That will make me belong to you?
One dance with my baby tonight
And we'll dance 'til the night is through

Jax Jones ft. Years & Years - Play

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 9:37 PM

His instincts told him to run. He read the paper instead, his hands shook. He scarcely believed it, the way he had, possibly still felt about him. It put a searing hole through his chest like he'd just been burnt with a hot poker. "Nothing. Nothing. It was all me. You couldn't have messed it up if you'd tried, I promise."

He needed to put on the brave face and deal with the damage he dealt. The hot poker still burning in his chest could be dealt with later. Everything could be dealt with later save for Rexus. He stood up, stepped closer until he was right beside him. He put a hand on his back, and that not seeming adequate, sat with him and wrapped his arm around the other man's shaking form.

"I should have told you. Needed to. I just-- couldn't. It was all my fault, believe me."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 9:41 PM

He let the sobs come. A quiet wheeze from his throat, his mouth open as the tears and pain overtook him, his arms gently wrapping around Atlas, holding him close.

After a while, his sobs died away, his hurt and his heartbreak was lighter on his chest. The coil was dampened, a dark iron instead of a bright red. The demon was silent. It felt right having Atlas in his arms.

He wanted to keep Atlas in his arms.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 9:50 PM

Atlas was going to make himself pay for this, somehow, somewhere.

"If you want me, if, if you can trust me. Ever. I'll stay." There was a good chance Rexus would tire of him, sooner, rather than later, but that wasn't the point. He'd stay until he was told to get out.

He stroked his hair, told him it was okay as he sobbed. As though all of this trouble couldn't be pinned down to Atlas.

He didn't know what to do anymore, what was right or wrong. What Atlas wanted was besides the point, he couldn't trust himself anymore. "I can't bear that I did this," he said. "I'm sorry." He was going to have to bear it, though, and he knew it.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 9:59 PM

Rexus felt his sobs subside, felt his shaking shoulders calm as he slowly exhaled. He still kept a hold of Atlas, not willing to let him go. He leaned into him, one of his hands tracing letters across his chest again. One simple word, over and over again.

S-T-A-Y

God, he wanted him to stay.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 10:07 PM

He nodded. "Until you tell me to leave." He brushed some of Rexus' hair out of his pale eyes and dried his tears from his face with the sleeve of his sweatshirt. He cupped the side of his face, gently, pressing a kiss onto his cheek. He had no idea if he was helping or hindering the man's pain, now. There was nothing he could do but be swept along by it. Maybe he'd figure it out on the way.

He stayed like that for a few moments, but had to shift away to position himself a bit more comfortably. "Swap sides with me?" he asked. For now it was easier for Rexus to be on his right than his left. "Do you need anything?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 10:22 PM

Rexus nodded distantly, moving to Atlas' other side before almost curling against him, shaking his head at Atlas' question. He just needed him to be close. He just needed Atlas to stay.

He gently took Atlas' hand in his own, wanting near constant contact with him. He then pulled the pad of paper closer, writing carefully and sloppily. 'I don't want you to leave.'

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/18/2018 10:35 PM

"You might change your mind, yet." He wouldn't argue, though. Atlas was acutely aware he'd caused enough damage already. No point digging himself in deeper. He let Rexus take his hand, leaning his head on top of Rexus'. They were like that for a minute or two, Atlas realising that when he finally had a good old cry about nearly being killed by hounds and being chased across the whole of Evelon by faeries, he had a few more woes to add into it. Something for a later date, though.

His stomach growled. He'd somehow forgotten he needed to eat in between everything else. Whoops. He thought back to the last time he'd actually had a full meal and winced. Rexus would kill him if he found out. He made no move to actually do anything about this, though, if Rexus wasn't being paranoid about his health for him, he'd take it into his own hands.

He needed to work out a way of slipping money to him, if he was going to stay. Maybe he could start leaving it under the sofa cushions.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/18/2018 10:56 PM

Rexus couldn't help his laugh. His face buried in Atlas' shoulder still. It was a watery, croaking sound as a grin began to cross his face. He could feel the coil in his chest straightening, the demon curling up to sleep. The emotional outbursts had him spent. Tired. It didn't help he had been sleeping on the ground all night. His grip tightened on Atlas' hand before he pulled away slightly, writing on the pad of paper.

'Want some food?'

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/19/2018 8:38 AM

Atlas moved a strand of unruly hair behind Rexus' ear, and gently kissed the top of his head. He could feel wretched about himself later, for now he'd focus on mending the damage done. He glanced over the writing. "Please," he said. "Let me give you room and board money, too. I've caused enough trouble." Not that he had anymore than 50 keystones to his name, but it was better than nothing.

Regardless of his own personal feelings, he had to hide somewhere until the hounds left him alone. That'd take time. After that, it was all a question of when Rexus would finally get sick of him. Atlas knew himself well enough to know the gnawing claustrophobia would set in eventually, that he'd start to see himself in a cage rather than a house. If Rexus still wanted him by that point they could maybe work it out, or else Atlas could just try and not see bars on all the windows. He could just get over himself.

Atlas moved into the kitchen. "Can I help?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/19/2018 5:32 PM

Rexus let out a croak of a laugh at Atlas' suggestion of room and board money, scribbling something on the pad he had brought with him before handing it to Atlas.

'Help with the animals and some of the chores and we'll be even.'

With that, he flashed him a slight smile, digging through the large fridge and pulling out some eggs and bacon, tilting his head and holding them up, as if to ask Atlas if that was okay before motioning to the still-open fridge, to suggest that if he liked, he could look through himself.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/19/2018 5:43 PM

"Thank you." So long as he was kept away from anything with a nasty kick, he'd be all right. Atlas wasn't sure how far he trusted farm animals, but still. He'd manage. He'd helped on farms before, but never long enough that he ended up feeling like he knew what he was doing.

The smile melted his heart. Made something that he'd thought he'd lost a long time ago, flutter back to life. He tried to quash it down again, worry springing back up with it, but there was hope too. "Oh. Yes. That's great, thanks."

As Rexus moved through the kitchen, Atlas didn't take his eyes off of him. He wanted to say something, but found, like Rexus, that the right words were often illusive in the moment.

((It took me like ten minutes to write this. I'm still working. It's fine. Don't judge me.))

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/19/2018 6:45 PM

As Atlas agreed, Rexus couldn't help his grin. His teeth a little sharper than a regular human's. Although, the biolune markings that drifted their way across his skin often outed him as something other than human before his teeth did.

He nudged the fridge shut with a careful knee, a low, thrumming humm coming to his throat as he began cooking. Grabbing a pan and whatever other utensils he would need.

Before long, Rexus placed a plate of eggs and bacon in front of Atlas at the table, another smile toying with his lips as he sat down to his own.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/19/2018 7:13 PM

Everything he did was adorable. Atlas cursed himself inwardly. He felt like something in him was being wound so tightly it might just snap, but it was... good in a way. Like being too close to a fire. He let Rexus work, building up his nerve. His fingers tapped out the beat of a song he'd learned long ago, he didn't even notice. He knew he was being ridiculous, but it didn't stop him.

As Rexus sat down, he stood up. A rare hesitancy visible on his face, hands not quite sure if they dared to reach out. Rexus was taller than him stood, so Atlas only had to bend a little to be at the same height.

He steeled himself. If Rexus turned him away it was only fair. The gap between them closed, with Atlas' hand tilting Rexus' chin upwards. "May I?" he asked.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext