A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Put the Kettle On [P, Duskie | M ]

Postby Mousen » 02/20/2018 9:33 AM

Atlas was trembling. He tried to conjure up the memory, long ago, of the last fire eater at the circus. The way he'd taught him to read the movements of hands. He and Zari would use it to talk across the noise of the big top on show nights. They'd been far from fluent, but there were things that Atlas understood.

I love you was one. The earth had stopped spinning there. Atlas didn't have time to digest it, though, he had to concentrate. Rexus was signing slowly for his benefit, thank god. Don't want you to stay away. I want... why I'm-- why I'm hurt. I was abandoned--

Felt abandoned. Scared of not--

I don't want you to live a life you hate

I want you

Atlas didn't know what to say.  Made a pained noise in the back of his throat. He took a couple of steadying breaths, and sat down on the tiled floor of the kitchen. Pain shot through him with the angle he'd decided to it, at and he shifted. He rested his head in his hands.

"After I left I was the worst of myself. I'd left my last sliver of anything worth saving here, with you." How was he to put this next bit? That he was not just running away from himself but everything else, the vague possibility that there might be a corner he couldn't crawl out of? That the feeling of being trapped made him feel like he was sitting in his own coffin, that passing through a new town before he got the chance to know its name was the only thing that seemed to keep his head quiet. That there was a joy in it, too. That, before this, there'd been a time where he'd been, not necessarily fulfilled, but happy. How did he tell him that he didn't know how to love someone, but he desperately, desperately did. How did he tell him that he hadn't spoken to his own sister in five months and his own father in eight years?

"I'm not worth a damn, but-" and the words were tumbling from his mouth before he could stop them, before he'd even realised he'd felt that way at all. "But if I left, when I panic and run from things that aren't there, again. Come with me. I won't go without you. Come with me." His red eyes were wide, desperate, dark smudge of a bruise around one making him look strange, almost dangerous. There was something of the fae about him then, his button nose and long face, imploring, begging Rexus to let him spirit him away.

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 02/20/2018 9:42 AM

He wanted to say yes. He wanted to take his hand, never leave his side. Be spirited from one place to the next. See the wonders of the world with Atlas' hand in his own. But he couldn't just. Leave. He had a life here. The only life he'd ever known. He'd be pulling up every root he'd set into the bedrock in order to follow him.

Rexus felt more tears spill down his cheeks, shaking his head slowly with a watery smile. He carefully signed, his hands shaking, his jaw trembling.

'Just come back to me. That's all I want. To know you'll be coming back.'

Even as his shaking hands signed it, he knew it was a lie. Something he said out of duty to a woman who wasn't even home. A woman who would tell him to just go. He would need to call Freyja later.

He felt a laugh roll through him, his ruined throat wheezing as he wiped tears away with the heels of his hands, slipping down to sit on the floor himself, a large grin on his lips that he couldn't shake.

"I'll go anywhere with you, Atlas."

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean
A brand new emotion come true, ooh
Don't let this night, don't let this night go

How long 'til you play me the song
That will make me belong to you?
One dance with my baby tonight
And we'll dance 'til the night is through

Jax Jones ft. Years & Years - Play

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/21/2018 7:49 PM

Atlas looked over at Rexus, his mouth fell open in disbelief. "What? You'll-?" He hadn't realised how much he'd wanted to hear it, until the sound of it was ringing in his head. "I-"

No. Atlas' sign wasn't great, by any stretch of the imagination, but he remembered a few things.

"I love you."

He wrapped an arm around Rexus' shoulder, bringing him close and pressing a kiss on his cheek. "I've got a lot to make up for. I promise I will. I won't make you leave what you want to, we can come back home, too," he said quietly into Rexus' ear. "And for goodness sake, stop hurting yourself for my sake. Please?"

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 02/21/2018 8:05 PM

Rexus felt joy curl delightfully in his chest and stomach. A laugh echoing from his throat, tears pushing at the back of his eyes. He didn't want to cry but he was so, incredibly, undeniably happy. He couldn't stop grinning.

He moved his hands again, gentle, slow movements.

'Kiss me?'

He was. Excited. He couldn't wait. He wanted to taste the smoke, feel the warmth of Atlas' hand in his. He didn't know if he wanted this forever-forever. He just knew that he wanted this right now. He just knew that despite the hurt, despite the anger, that right now, right in this moment, he wanted to be nowhere else but here.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/22/2018 8:17 PM

Atlas was made of a fragile kind of joy, so carefully nestled in his chest he was almost afraid it would break. That the moment would end, that life would come creeping around the cracks and steal it from him. It would, of course, it would. But, he'd have it for another second, another minute, another hour yet, maybe. He'd thrown himself heart, body and soul into this and he could only wait and see where he landed when the dust settled.

But, there was still time.

He nodded, weaved his fingers through Rexus,' and pulled him close.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/22/2018 9:26 PM

Rexus pressed his own lips to Atlas'. A low humm thrumming through his throat as he tangled his fingers with Atlas'. This was heaven. This was bliss. This was something he wished would never end.

-A week later-

Rexus hadn't felt this satisfied in a long time. Nights curled up with Atlas, hands tangled together. At first, Rexus had been careful, distant. Fretting about every touch, every brush of the hand. Then he gave up caring.

Having sorted the animals, Rexus picked up the phone from its reciever, dialling a number quickly and clearing his throat. He waited a few moment until a woman picked up, giving a bleary-eyed greeting.

"Freyja? Its Rex. I may be leaving soon for a while." He swallowed hard, his voice low as he heard Freyja's response. A slow, soft drawl as she asked what had happened.

"Atlas came back."

Rexus couldn't help but smile at Freyja's sudden joy. She laughed, she cheered, and she was much more awake. He laughed at her telling him that she would be home within a week, that he could leave at any point, that he didn't need to worry. After a small amount of small talk, Rexus hung up, smiling to himself as he went to find Atlas to tell him the good news.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/22/2018 9:49 PM

Atlas was making a slightly horrific green substance in the kitchen. A knitbone poultice, mostly comfrey and a few other bits he'd picked out of the garden. He'd used it a few times, but it had been so long since he'd last bothered he'd almost forgotten the recipe. What was more bothering is he couldn't remember if it had always looked quite so lumpy. Still. It wasn't like he was going to eat it. The smell of lemon balm drifting up from the concoction was pleasant enough, at least.

He hummed to himself, a old lilting tune. He tapped the edge of the saucepan with the wooden spoon he was using, and the steam shifted a little bit. Atlas frowned, and tried again and the steam gathered together to form small clouds that drifted lazily through the kitchen. Hm. So he hadn't lost it entirely.

He looked up as Rexus entered and his clouds became slightly fuzzier round the edges slowly dissipating into the air.

"Hello you," he said.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/22/2018 9:58 PM

Rexus gave a soft, pleased humm as he approached Atlas, carefully wrapping his arms around the smaller man's waist, resting his chin on his shoulder. He moved his hands in slow, careful, nearly simple signs where Atlas could see them.

'Freyja said I can leave any time with you.'

He turned his head slightly, so Atlas could feel his grin into his neck. Slowly, he moved his hands again, placing them against Atlas' stomach and chest, enjoying the closeness and the warmth of him.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/22/2018 10:10 PM

Atlas watched the name being spelled out F-R-E-Y-J-A, pleased to have caught the letters. "Any time?" he clarified, not so much for the statement itself, but whether or not Atlas had caught that right. Rexus had started to sit down on an evening and teach him more and more, but he had quite a ways to go.

He let Rexus lean into him, turning off the gas burner and letting the poultice sit in the copper pot for a bit. He'd try and strain it later. "I'm in no hurry." He wasn't, for more reasons than the dangerous matters he'd gotten caught up in.

He reached to place his hand over Rexus'. "How did Freyja take it? Is everything all right?" Atlas guessed it probably was, from the feeling of Rexus' lips against his neck, but it was still worth asking.

"I'm stealing her best farm hand, after all."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/22/2018 10:22 PM

Rexus nodded slowly, before huffing a laugh into his neck, writing gentle words on his stomach. words of love and affirmation before he slowly pulled away.

He reached into a pocket, drawing out a pendant. A simple crystal point. Rough and unhewn. He held it up in his palm, to show Atlas. He then signed carefully. 'This was on the front porch. Isn't it yours?'

His head tilted slightly as he offered out the point in his palm. He didn't know how it had gotten there, or how he hadn't seen it over the week. Perhaps he was simply too entranced by Atlas.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/23/2018 10:33 AM

Atlas pulled away from Rexus' grasp. So shocked to see the pendant in Rexus' hands that he missed almost everything he signed. "Where the hell did you find that?" He glanced from Rexus to the pendant and back again as though he thought it was going to leap out of the other man's hands and attack him.

"Rexus, I lost that when I was attacked out in the woods." The woods had been his biggest mistake. He'd been running scared for too long, he'd been more than exhausted. He'd wanted, for the first time since he was seventeen, to go home. He'd had no idea what would happen if the hunt caught up, and he couldn't decide if it was worse for him to be torn to shreds by the hounds or brought in front of his mother. He suspected the hounds would give him an easier time, though.

The woods was where he hunt excelled, the misty forests too dark and twisting. He'd grown up in them, but years on, they were a stranger to him. Paths he recalled didn't go the way he remembered. He'd gotten lost. It was then, they caught up.

"They're trying to tell me something. Trying to scare me."
He was definitely, definitely scared. He took the necklace from Rexus hands holding it up to his eyes.

Where the cord had snapped, a small silver clasp had been added to fix the damage. The clasp was engraved with tiny, tiny vines, too delicate for human hands.

Atlas felt sick. "This is my mother's doing. She's been here. She's been here. The wild hunt was one thing, but if she's here. Oh my god, never leaves the court. She's--" Of course, it was just his likely one of her lackeys had dropped the necklace by the porch, but he wasn't really in a mood for level-headed thing.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/23/2018 3:26 PM

As Atlas pulled away, Rexus felt his heart clench. At Atlas' panicked words, Rexus softly look his hands, swallowing hard.

He hated using his voice, but Rexus didn't think that at this moment signing would get through to him.

"Atlas, my love." His voice began softly, grating against the back of his breastbone. "Atlas. It's alright. If we need to leave we can, remember? We can go wherever you need. Wherever you will be safe." He gently reached a hand to touch at Atlas' arm, his shoulder, wherever he could grip and ground him.

"We'll do this together, Atlas. I'll make sure you're safe. You're not alone anymore."

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/24/2018 9:33 PM

Atlas' instinct was to get out, but that wasn't going to do him any good. He made himself stand still, let Rexus reach for him, though he tensed under the touch.

He took a breath as Rexus spoke, softened a little. He came closer, resting his head against the other man's chest. He was silent for a moment or two, forcing his thoughts into order. It was easier than normal with someone waiting on him. He knew on a practical level that Rexus couldn't fix everything, but the comfort of another person on his side certainly helped. "It's safer to stay," he said. "She won't try to break into a house where she hasn't been invited. But we need to be clever. Iron hurts faeries. It should be put above the door, if you've got iron nails to leave on the windowsills, that kind of thing."

He closed his eyes, shutting out the rest of the world. "Thank you." They'd get through it, he knew, but Atlas had been hoping the worst of this had passed. "I'm sorry for this."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 02/24/2018 9:44 PM

Rexus nodded gently, running his fingers down Atlas' back before writing a gentle message across his shoulderblades.

'N-O-S-O-R-R-Y'

He meant it. There was no need for apologies. He would stand with Atlas for as long as Atlas would want him to stand with him. He flattened his hand, running his hand gently down his spine.

Even with these slow, gentle motions, Rexus' mind was ticking over. He had a few old iron horseshoes he could bring in from the stables. He had a farrier friend who would sell him some others cheap. He would have to put up iron around the pens and stables, to protect his livelyhood.

his arms tightened slightly around atlas, his eyes distant as his brow furrowed. After a moment, he softly pressed his lips into Atlas' hair, feeling his shoulders relax.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 02/27/2018 6:26 AM

[size=85]Atlas nodded, making a small noise in the back of his throat. It'd be okay, he just hadn't expected this. The worry of what his mother was planning had settled, but it was still there, like a lead weight. "Keep an iron poker by the door," Atlas said. "You're welcome to keep iron on you too. I can't, it just... makes me feel odd." It didn't exactly hurt, but it made his skin feel like it was trying to get away from itself.

"Thank you." Atlas wondered how much more of a debt he would owe to this man before this was all through. Maybe in time he could repay it. He looked up at Rexus and pressed a small kiss on the side of his mouth. He smiled and tried to ignore the worry. "What's the plan? Faery proofing the house? You listening to me about my family for the next few hours? I could make you tea?"
[/size]

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext