A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

[* Please Give Me All Your Money! [OPEN]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/08/2013 5:55 PM

"Come one, come all! Looking for something in particular to help in your travels? This traveling merchant has something for you! ... Probably!"

The Vast Plains weren't really the best for business, but that didn't mean the merchant couldn't try her luck. She had managed to find good customers in worse places than this, so just a flat area of land wasn't intimidating to her. She had seen many places and sold her stock in countless others. In fact, she had sold items on the Vast Plains before, too! It was a little harder to do than in a town, but it was obvious as to why that was the case.

Still, those who wandered to her shop would often find good things! She had a whole selection of items, ranging from potions for traveling — such as mixtures to help with tiredness or injuries — to just your everyday trinkets, if one was looking for a little souvenir of their journey on the road. She had everything from necklaces to small bottles, and everything else! She had stock from all over the world, including very rare items that often went for high prices! What were the chances of finding them here, where there was barely any competition?

It was early in the morning, and the merchant's husband and daughter were still sleeping in their traveling convoy — and sleeping rather loudly, too! Still, as they say, the early bird gets the worm! Now this little traveling merchant bird just needed to wait for a nice, rich customer worm to make their way to her small shop.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Re: [* Please Give Me All Your Money! [OPEN]

Postby Thunder » 06/08/2013 7:39 PM

(Human form.)

As a traveler, Xane had a certain fondness for plains. There were so wide open and he felt like he could run through them forever, without a care in the world. So he was pleased that there was such an expanse in Evelon, and he decided to take some time to explore it today.

As the Manakete strolled through the plains, he thought he could see something in the distance. Squinting, he made out a shape similar to that of a wagon. Back in the day, when he was fighting wars with a certain blue haired prince, he'd often see such wagons traversing across the land, carrying supplies and weapons for armies. Perhaps this one was here for something similar? Well, there was only one way to find out.

He approached the convey, stretching his limbs casually, and saw that there was a red haired woman in front of it, apparently calling out in an effort to sell goods. Seeing her made him do a double take. Had he seen her somewhere before? He recalled meeting a similar woman thousands of years ago during Princey's war campaign, but it couldn't possibly be the same lady. She'd be long dead. Maybe he was just over thinking things.

"Heya!" he called as he went up to her. "What are you doin' all the way out here, lady?"

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

[2]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/08/2013 8:30 PM

Well, it was hard to get customers on these Plains. The fact it was between cities didn't really help, but it was also the fact that it was very large. The Plains were a huge expense of land, so that gave way to a lot of different paths and roads for travellers to take. That meant that it was easy for those travellers to miss her shop, but that was a double-edged sword. While it was easy to miss customers, the fact was that no one expected to find a shop here, either! That meant that any potential customer often bought on impulse, since they couldn't be certain that they would come across another shop before the next city.

Besides, it was still early in the morning. The merchant had to ready herself mentally to be calling out to any potential customer for the entire day. One couldn't just slack if she hoped to sell her wares!

It seemed luck was on her side, however, as a human shape appeared in the distance, and what luck: he was heading straight for her! The red-haired merchant grinned happily as she giggled a little to herself. Ohh, and he looked like a little boy! Hopefully he would be easy to trick into buying some expensive item. Hmm, but there was the possibility of this kid not having a lot of money since he was, well... a child. Still, maybe he was the child of a rich family!

"Hello there!" the merchant greeted cheerfully as the boy made his way to her shop. "Glad you asked, my young lad! I'm out here to sell some great items and wares to travellers just like you! Feeling tired? Maybe looking for an exotic present for a friend? Check it all out; I bet you'll find something you like!" the merchant explained as she spread her arms all around to show all the wares available. There were a lot of items available, and it would take someone quite a bit of time to review every single piece of merchandise that was available here.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 06/09/2013 3:53 PM

Almost as soon as the lady started speaking, Xane's heart sunk. Young lad? Oh goodness. He was a Manakete, a dragon-turned-human of over three thousand years old! He was physically youthful looking, yes, but he was no little boy! Granted, humans often couldn't tell how old Manaketes were, but as someone who didn't particularly like humans for certain reasons, her words came as more of a blow to him than usual. He wished he could transform into a dragon right in front of her and teach her a thing or two, but sadly, he had lost that power a long, long time ago. He also lacked the pointed ears that most Manaketes had, so there was no physical proof either.

"Er, miss," he stammered, "I appreciate the warm welcome, but I have to tell you that I'm not a kid. I'm...a Manakete, you see. A divine dragon." He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. Hopefully she'd trust his explanation. "And, uh, do I know you? I could've sworn seeing someone like you thousands of years ago..."

Yes, he was pretty sure that he had met a similar redhead shopkeeper lady in the past.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[3]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/09/2013 4:28 PM

Whoops, it sounded like the greeting had rubbed the kid the wrong way. Oh, and it turned out he wasn't a kid? Actually, that was just fine, considering the guy had just confirmed that he was thousands of years old, and that meant that he had to have a lot of money! Who wouldn't have a whole load of gold after living for three thousand years, give or take a few? If not gold, then maybe some old artifact from ages past that could sell for a few millions! Ah, the possibilities!

"Heheh, sorry about that! It's not every day you get to meet a Manakete or two, after all," the merchant apologized with a smile. "I guess I couldn't tell since you don't have those pointy ears you guys usually have. I believe ya, though: my husband has a bit of Manakete blood at this point, but he doesn't have the pointy ears all the time, so I bet there's truth to your story." Then again, this could just be some kid pulling her leg and making fun of her, but she wanted to hold on to the hope that this guy really was a Manakete. The things he could probably buy, and the things he might be able to trade! She could only imagine what kind of trinkets he had on him that could fetch a huge price at the market.

At the mention of the two having met, the merchant just blinked for a moment. "Hmm... No, sorry, I'm afraid I've never seen you before, honey. You probably meant one of my sisters or someone from my family, though: we all share a certain family resemblance, and we're all traveling merchants. We also all have the same name: makes for some chaotic family meetings, let me tell you!" the red-haired woman told with a happy smile, bubbling with energy and happiness. "Maybe checking out the wares will remind you of those times a bit more? Why don't you take a look?"

Well, talk was nice and all, but what about buying? Time was money! Come on!
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 06/10/2013 8:53 PM

"Eh, it's nothin'," Xane said, accepting her apology. "Though...you say your husband has Manakete blood?" While he didn't show it, he inwardly frowned at this. As someone who wasn't really fond of humans, hearing that a man had some Manakete blood in him made him uncomfortable. In these days, though, the divide between Manaketes and humans had seemingly grown smaller and smaller; his good divine dragon friend Tiki had married a human, in fact. Eventually he'd have to accept the way society was going, but who knew how long that would take?

It was strange, though, that the lady said her husband didn't have the characteristic pointed ears "all the time". Xane figured that you either had them or didn't. Why would there be a middle ground? It was also weird to think that someone would want to name their children all the same name and have them share the same occupation, but he wasn't about to question that. Humans could be pretty bizarre after all.

Since he had nothing else to do, Xane decided that he'd take a look at her wares, though he wasn't necessarily carrying a lot of money on him. As a traveler, he was used to living pretty sparingly. There were some useful items in the woman's inventory, like healing concoctions in case you got hurt and weaponry to defend yourself with, while the other half consisted of luxuries like trinkets and jewelry. He didn't need any of the weapons- he kept his trusty sword in good condition- though he figured it wouldn't hurt to stock up on some first aid supplies. Humming casually to himself, he grabbed two potions from the shelf and fished around in his pocket for some gold, waiting to hear more on this lady's husband.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/10/2013 9:22 PM

Oho, finally, the young lad had started looking at her wares! And he seemed interested in a few things, too! Fantastic! Maybe if she did keep up this whole idle chat business, the Manakete would be interested in buying more! They were hard enough to sway into spending, considering their nature, so if she could get one of them to spend all his money, then she had to take advantage of the opportunity!

Fortunately for her, her man turned out to be a subject of interest to the customer. "Oh, he sure does. Sounds a bit weird, I know. It's actually a pretty long and convoluted story about how he got there. I bet you've heard about the dark dragon God Grima, right?" Who hadn't, really, at this point? The world had come so close to falling into despair and ruins, everyone had seen the massive fell dragon rise from the Dragon's Table years ago. Fortunately, that war was long over, and the army of the exalted Prince Chrom had won the day and saved the world, but still. "Well, it's a long and convoluted story, really, but what happened is that my husband got possessed by the God for a time. The power just got imprinted in his body, in a way, so now he can use Dragonstones to a certain extent," the merchant continued to explain, and she was expecting the red chameleon to get lost any time, now. "That's when he gets the pointy ears! ... And a tail. He grows horns and changes a little in appearance overall, too. Can't turn into a full-blown dragon, though. He also can't use the power for too long, since it eventually starts to hurt him too much. Ever since he got some help from the Voice herself, though, he's gotten better at it, heheh."

When Xane grabbed a few concoctions, the merchant inwardly cheered. Yes! As he fished in his pocket for money, the merchant could barely contain her excitement. Her first catch of the day, and so early, too! The early bird did get the worm first! "Well, all this Manakete business aside, you're planning on buying these, yes~?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 06/30/2013 5:59 PM

As soon as the lady began describing her husband, Xane froze and his eyes opened wide. Her husband had been possessed by the dark dragon god, Grima? He could use Dragonstones? And Tiki, the Voice, who Xane had watched over when she was still young, had given this man help with his transformations?

There was absolutely no question as to who this woman's husband was. Tiki had explained everything to Xane some time before.

"Y-you're married to Alter?" he spluttered, blinking at the merchant in astonishment. Then, he realized that it was probably awkward for a stranger like him to somehow know her husband's name. "Er, that is, Tiki told me all about him. I'm, uh, friends with her, you see."

He resumed fishing for his money, albeit rather awkwardly. In truth, when Tiki had told him about Alter, he had felt jealous of the man's abilities. Xane, who was a divine dragon, lost the precious power to transform using Dragonstones, while Alter, a human, could. However, he had been glad to hear that Alter apparently couldn't use the power fully or without damaging himself, as malicious as that sounded. It gave him comfort to know that Alter's transformation was more flawed than his own ability to perfectly assume the guise of any human he could remember.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate