A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Ch. 2, Never Ending Running [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:50 PM

Wulf looked somewhat surprised at my question, but went on a search through the stable until he found some very thin, easy to pull apart rope, and proceeded to unweave it and hand me bits of the string as I set about properly braiding Simbel’s mane and securing each braid with the twine he gave me.

“You truly love your horse,” Wulf commented, once I’d put the finishing touches on Simbel’s forelock braid and was contemplating whether or not I wanted to braid his tail too. I turned to shoot him a smile over my shoulder, before I decided I really did want him to have a braided tail and yanked the rest of the thin rope from Wulf’s loose grip.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

“Of course,” I replied, sticking the rope in my teeth as I tried to figure out how to braid so much hair properly. “I’ve always loved horses, ever since I was little. I asked for one every year-” I purposely left out the ‘Christmas’ part, since I doubted he’d know what that was and I didn’t want to explain it to him. “-but I lived in a place that wasn’t suited to horses. Not enough food even in the best of times. So getting a horse of my own is great.” I hummed merrily as I braided Simbel’s tail, and the horse munched on his hay, oblivious and uncaring as to what his new owner was doing to him or how silly it might make him look.

“By rights, the Rohirrim can reclaim him if they ever come back, you know,” Wulf commented off-handedly, and I stopped my humming and braiding to fix him with the darkest look I could muster.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“You just let them try,” I hissed, making a claw with one of my hands and swiping it through the air like an angry cat. “I love Simbel. He’s my new best friend. Best…horse friend, at least.” The braiding then resumed, and I knew Wulf was staring at me with an appraising look on his face, seemingly impressed by my words.

“I have never met another lady like you, if you’ll excuse me saying. You are not afraid to fight for what’s yours. Except…” He looked briefly troubled, and I raised my brow at him, urging him to continue as I began finishing up Simbel’s tail braid. “…The lord Boromir, I fear. You say you are his fiancé? I am sorry he was taken from you in such a manner. But have hope, dear lady. He will be returned to you safely soon. I have great faith in this. Lord Eomer will return and he would not allow such a grievance to go uncorrected.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:51 PM

Wulf seemed so sure of his words, and so sure that Eomer would return. I knew he wouldn’t, not in time to help Boromir, at least. My only hope for that, and his as well, was the arrival of Gandalf and the others. I wondered when they would show up. They wouldn’t be far behind us; maybe half a day at the most, I imagined. Maybe they would be here soon.

“We should go back, my lady.” Wulf’s quiet, pleading voice broke through my thoughts as I secured Simbel’s braid and walked back around to his head.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“So soon?” I asked softly, placing my hand against the horse’s nose and gently stroking along his forehead. “All right, I suppose.” I leaned forward to give Simbel another hug, which he bore with quiet dignity (I think he was getting used to them) and kissed him lightly on his nose as he chomped away at his hay and feed. “I’ll be back for you soon. Sorry I forgot that carrot I promised. I’ll find a way to get you one when I can. Be a good boy.” I gently swept his forelock braid to the side, and patted the spot between his ears, before Wulf gently took my elbow and led me away from the horse, a gentle smile quirking a the edges of his lips.

We made it back into the hallway, the door making less of a grating, grinding noise as it was closed, and proceeded to hurry back to my room. But we were stopped, quite abruptly, when I heard a somewhat familiar voice coming from the halls. “That sounds like…” I paused, and Wulf tugged on my elbow urgently, trying to get me to move without using force. I resisted, taking a few steps down a hall in the direction of the now rising cacophony of voices. Wulf seemed to have heard it too, this time, and his head jerked towards the noise in alarm.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Come,” he said abruptly, and promptly tugged me along behind him towards what I presumed was the main hall.

When we entered, I caught a glimpse of Gandalf, staff raised. It could be no other, I decided, since he was garbed all in white, and he was actually…glowing. Glowing is seriously cool when you get to see it in person, I decided, even as Wulf let go of my elbow and began moving steadily towards the throne. I caught up with him, my sneakers squeaking on the floor and causing Legolas, who was just behind Gandalf, to whip his head towards me. His eyes widened in recognition even as I grabbed Wulf by the arm and held him back.

“It’s okay. That’s Gandalf,” I explained, wondering if he thought the man in white to be Saruman. It was vaguely possible, since he knew no other man with such power and such clothing. “He’s going to set things right.” Wulf seemed to want to protest, his mouth opening and closing several times, before he snapped his head around to stare at the throne with a grim expression.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:52 PM

I watched, with no small amount of satisfaction, as Theoden was resurrected from the state of moths-ate-all-my-good-clothes-so-now-I’m-wearing-dishrags and Eowyn, who had been held back by Aragorn, rushed to his side. When Gandalf called for Theoden’s sword, Wulf rushed forward, presumably to give the king his weapon, and dragged the scabbard from behind the throne. He held it up for the king to take, and the sword slid from the sheath with the cool hiss of metal.

Theoden quite suddenly turned his gaze to Grima, who was, with no warning or ceremony, promptly tossed bodily out of the hall and down the steps. I found this highly amusing, and couldn’t keep the laughter from bubbling to the surface, even as Wulf returned to my side and shot me a quizzical and curious look. He was no doubt wondering how I knew that Gandalf would fix things, but I doubted he was wondering why I found this all funny. When Grima hit the steps, his own lips twitched upwards in a smirk.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:52 PM

I strode across the hall, sneakers squeaking every couple of steps, until I had reached Legolas, who had turned to greet me with a faint smile and then a surprised look at the state of my hair. Him and his damn elf hearing probably heard me coming a mile away, even without the squeaky sneakers. “Good job,” I remarked, nodding my head towards the open doors of the hall where Theoden was advancing on Grima even as the elf marveled over my short locks and quietly wondered how they got that way. “But we’ve got another problem to fix.” Legolas’s gaze turned quizzical.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:53 PM

“What do you mean, my lady?” he asked in a hushed voice. “And where is Boromir?” he glanced over the top of my head, as if Boromir might materialize at any moment from behind me. He gestured vaguely to his own hair in askance, and I reached up to subconsciously touch my head. “Did something happen?”

His face promptly fell when I nodded. “Yeah. Mr. I’ve-never-taken-a-bath-in-my-life decided to throw Boromir into the dungeon. Or prison. Or whatever it’s called. You guys need to figure out where the hell he is and get him out. He hasn’t been in there long, but I bet he’s pissed.” Legolas looked a little amused at my choice of words, but before he could say anything, Wulf arrived at my elbow.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Now that the…problem has been rectified,” he said, his smirk still in place. “I shall take you to lord Boromir. Perhaps the lady should remain here.” He fixed me with a look that said it wasn’t a question or a suggestion, but an order. “Come, I shall lead you to him.” He nodded at Legolas, and the elf briefly touched my shoulder as if to tell me not to worry, before following the young guard off to the hallways.

“Problem one and two solved,” I muttered to myself, hiking up my skirt and marching over to Gandalf and company who were herding themselves back into the hall after ousting Grima. Gimli was the first to see me, and he flung his arms wide in greeting.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Lady Winters! You are safe and unharmed. Well, except for your hair. We were wondering where you’d gotten to. I see you have been well looked after. But where is Boromir?” Aragorn appeared at Gimli’s elbow, his face a mixture of concern and fatigue.

“Yes, where has Boromir gotten to? I will admit that I was worried when I did not immediately see the two of you gathered here. But now I see you are well. Except…your hair is gone.” He glanced over as Gandalf joined the four of us, looking me over curiously.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:54 PM

“I cut off my hair, guys. It was a nuisance. Geeze. You act like someone beheaded me.” All three men looked rather ill at my word choice. “Boromir is being retrieved at the moment. That dark and slimy grease-ball you just threw down the steps chucked him into a prison cell for being a ‘Lord of Gondor’ apparently. He’s gonna be super annoyed when he gets out, so be prepared for the backlash. Of course, I’m sure he’ll make allowances, considering Theoden was in a serious state of I’ve-lost-my-mind-to-a-wizard-thanks for such a long time. Someone just needs to explain that to Boromir before he comes out swinging.”

I jerked my thumb over my shoulder, looking faintly amused. “I’m sure he’s perfectly fine and unharmed. He was spouting quite a few colorful death threats as they dragged him away. Tall, blonde and handsome has gone to retrieve our dear lord. I have to admit-” I pulled a face, which made Aragorn’s lips lift slightly. “-I was worried about him, and about you guys. You certainly took your sweet time.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:54 PM

“My apologies, Samantha,” Aragorn said with no small amount of amusement. “But we were delayed. We had to pick up an old friend.” He canted his head to the side, indicating Gandalf, who had been listening to me talk with a thoughtful look on his ancient face. “And speaking of old friends; Samantha, this is Gandalf the White. Gandalf, this is Samantha Winters. The woman I was telling you about.”

I lifted my hand and waved. “Yo,” I supplied coolly, earning nothing short of a confused expression from all three men.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:55 PM

“Lady Winters, I must say it is a pleasure to meet you. Aragorn has told me some very interesting things about you, and I believe the two of us should have a little…chat, when you find the time.” Considering Theoden has to subsequently find out about his son dying, and then  bury him, I figured I had plenty of time to figure out what to say to Gandalf.

“But for the time being,” he continued, breaking me free of my musings. “That can wait. I believe there are more pressing matters to attend to.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous