A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Ch. 2, Never Ending Running [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:45 PM

“We must get you cleaned up and changed. I will have the chambermaid draw you a bath so that you may cleanse yourself and bring you new garments. You must be weary from your travels.” She carefully looked me over, as if searching for something, before she turned back to the door. “Lock this behind you, my lady. I will return shortly. Open for none but me.”

I nodded again, almost mechanically, and followed her to the door, locking it behind her. Now that she was gone, I had a moment to really think about this. I wondered, briefly, when Aragorn and the others would arrive. When they did, I had no doubt that Gandalf would immediately free Boromir of his imprisonment. But in the meantime, what was going to happen to the Gondorian lord? I certainly hoped they weren’t going to hurt him. I’d kill them myself if they did.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

The topic of death led me to another dilemma; what was I going to tell Gandalf when he arrived? The wizard had been ‘dead’ before I got here, so, of course, I hadn’t met him. I wondered if Aragorn had told him about me, and about my ‘ability to see the future’ as it were, and then wondered what he’d make of it. I had a feeling he wasn’t going to be impressed, but I also had a feeling he’d be quite happy to interrogate me until I told him everything. Gandalf seemed like one of those who could make you talk without you realizing what you were saying. Like a grandpa or father figure you wanted to open up to. But then, Aragorn felt the same to me, but I didn’t exactly give him my life story, did I?

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Either way, I was determined not to affect anymore of the events of the story. Who knew what kind of havoc I’d wreaked just by saving Boromir’s life (Although, granted, that was unintentional)? I just hoped that I wasn’t affecting things too drastically, or ruining things for everyone else. This Boromir-in-prison thing was really starting to worry me, and I wondered how else I would ruin the timeline while I was here.

There was a sudden, loud knock on the door, and I quickly crossed the room, my hand lingering on the bolt that held it shut. “It is Eowyn,” a voice called from the other side. I immediately unbolted the door, and Eowyn glided in with an elderly, kind-faced woman bustling in behind her. The woman was carrying two rather large buckets of steaming water and a towel, and Eowyn herself was holding a deep blue and gold length of fabric in her arms; my dress, I presumed.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:46 PM

“This is Thri,” Eowyn introduced, motioning to the woman who looked much to small to be carrying so much water. The woman bustled by, headed towards a basin near the corner of the room, where she promptly emptied the contents of both buckets into said basin with a smile. “She is my most trustworthy chambermaid. She will make sure you are well looked-after when I cannot see to your needs.” Eowyn motioned to the basin. “Please, bathe and enjoy. Thri will return to check on you in a short time.” She gave me a very serious look, and I nearly wilted under it. “Remember, do not open the door for anyone but Thri or I.”

I nodded jerkily, not knowing what else to do or say, and the two women left me alone to my bath.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I stripped myself of my clothes, grimacing when they stuck to me slightly. I’d worked up quite a sweat, and I felt pretty gross (And smelled like horse), but that had taken a back seat to everything when we’d gotten to Edoras. I carefully folded my jeans, t-shirt and hoodie, and stuck my socks into the bottom of my sneakers, wondering if I’d be wearing these clothes again anytime soon.

The bath was warm, and the basin was just big enough for me to sink into it. Sitting on a small ledge beside it, I found a small jar of what appeared to be some sort of soap in a strange, butter-looking form and proceeded to cleanse the grime and dirt from my skin. When I was finished, feeling more refreshed than I had in a few days, I stepped out carefully and dried myself with the towel Thri had brought me.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I gave the dress a wary glance, before I grabbed my bra and slipped it back on. I decided to dunk my underwear (because frankly, wearing these for a couple days straight was really gross) in the bath, and wrung them out carefully, snapping them in the air to dry them as best as I could. They were still slightly damp when I slipped into them, but I didn’t think it would matter much, since they were already drying at a pretty good rate.

Picking up the dress by the neck, I held it up and realized it was a bit too long for me, and would probably drag all over the ground. Frankly, I didn’t care, and I slipped it over my head anyways. It was a rather lovely shade of deep, navy blue, with gold embroidery along the neckline and the edges of the long sleeves. There was a long, golden cord just under the bust, which tied just below my breasts into a curt, neat bow, and I briefly admired the length of it before I sat down on the bed and slipped my sneakers on without the socks. The socks I dunked in the bath and wrung out, hanging them on the edge of the bedpost to dry for later. After a few moments of thought, I did the same with my t-shirt, laying it out to dry as well.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

At least some of my clothes would be clean.

My hair was another matter entirely.

It was full of knots when I tugged it sharply out of it’s ponytail. The dark brown strands were tangled together, and I futilely tried to work my fingers through it in the absence of a brush. The wet tresses resisted my most valiant attempts to tame them, and at last, I decided they weren’t worth the trouble.

I’d always wanted short hair, anyway.

Removing my dagger from my pile of clothes (And thanking God that no one had thought to give me a pat down and steal it) I brought the blade to my hair, and sliced clean through the mangled locks. One by one, chunks of the brown strands began to pile on the floor, and once I’d nearly reached my scalp, I gave my now short, fluffy hair a good run through with my fingers.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:47 PM

Without a mirror to work with, I felt around my head with my hands. My hair was now cropped closely to the back of my head, but still long enough to leave a bit of fluff to wind my fingers through. The front was slightly longer, with a few stray strands here and there falling around my cheeks. I still had bangs, thank goodness, and I decided that, for having no scissors, mirror, or any professional help, I’d done a pretty nice job of getting rid of my hair.

I was startled out of admiring my handiwork by a soft knock on the door and an even softer voice calling through the wood.

“My lady?” The voice was so quiet, I could hardly hear it. “My lady, are you in there? It’s me. Wulf. I heard about what happened, my lady. I am here to take you to see your horse, if you still desire such.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Worrying my lip between my teeth, I briefly considered Eowyn’s warning about not opening the door for strangers. Wulf wasn’t exactly a stranger; I’d met him at the stairs of the hall, after all. But Eowyn had explicitly told me not to open the door for anyone by her and Thri. So what was I supposed to do?

Leaning forward, I placed my ear against the heavy wood, and whispered back. “Wulf? I’m not supposed to open the door for anyone but Eowyn and her chambermaid, Thri.”

“Thri is my mother,” Wulf whispered back, and I heard him chuckling lightly. “She told me where you were staying. Don’t worry, it’s safe. I’m a friend.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I wasn’t sure if I could trust him, but he just sounded so damn adorable. Coupled with the fact that he was rather good looking, I threw common sense to the wind and unlocked the door. It opened with an ominous click, and on the other side stood Wulf, a faint smile on his face and his helmet tucked against his belt. He looked very briefly surprised at my new haircut. “My lady, your hair!” he exclaimed, gesturing to my head. “What has happened?”

“It’s fine, Wulf. Just a bit of a nuisance, is all. I felt it best to get rid of it. Now, you wanted to speak to me?”

He looked faintly abashed and embarrassed at his words. “I didn’t know if you’d come out. Come, my lady. I will bring you to your horse. But we must be careful; there are some here who would gladly do you harm if they could. I will keep you safe.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:48 PM

He held out his hand, and I took it without hesitation. He tugged me gently down the hall, and on the way, we ran into Thri coming to check on me, and stopped us with a stern look. “Wulf!” she chided, hands on her hips. “Foolish son of mine! What are you thinking, taking the dear lady from her room? You could both land yourself in a heap of trouble. This is too dangerous! You must return her at once!”

“But I want to see my horse,” I protested, knowing it was a ridiculous reason to sneak out and risk some kind of harm to my person. “And Wulf will protect me.” I elbowed him in the chest when he didn’t respond, looking rather amused by the entire scene, and he quickly agreed with a ‘whoosh‘ of air.

“Of course I’ll look after her. You have my word, mother. I’ll bring her back in one piece within the hour.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Oh, very well,” Thri relented, her angry face smoothing into a rueful smile. “But within the hour, Wulf, or on your head be it!”

Her son gave his mother a mock bow, and quickly grabbed my hand again, leading me through a maze of passages to a rather grubby, unused hallway. It looked as though it hadn’t been cleaned in a while. Or used in a while. Or…anything, in a while. “What’s this?” I asked quietly, and winced when my voice sounded too loud to even my own ears in the cramped passage.

“It’s an old hallway that leads to the back of the Great Hall. Only the guards use it, and the lady Eowyn on occasion. It has fallen into a state of disrepair since…” He cast a distasteful look over his shoulder, and I saw him shudder. “Lord Grima has taken over. But come, I mustn’t speak of such things. We must hurry to reach the stables.” And then he was pulling me along again, through the grubby passage as it wound down and down and down towards what I presumed was the stables. Or hoped was the stables. If we ended up anywhere else, it might be a bit hard to explain my appearance.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Will we end at the stables?” I whispered, careful to keep my voice low now that I knew how badly it echoed in these cramped passages.

“Yes. This hall leads directly to them. We’re about there,” he said quietly, and even as he replied a door came into view, cracks of sunlight filtering in just beneath it. With a heavy grunt, Wulf slammed his shoulder into it, and it began creaking open with a loud, ear-splitting grating noise.

“Won’t people notice that?” I demanded, pressing my hands over my ears.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:49 PM

No, my lady. They don’t notice much of anything, these days. Many of them men who are left in Edoras are loyal to Grima, and their hearts are wrought with greed and self-serving thoughts. They care little for their horses; it is only men like my self, and the captain of Theoden’s guard and a few others who dare to come into the stables. None of them would ever give you away to that…to…Grima.” He gritted his teeth, and I could see the strain in his face as he held back the expletives and the angry words he wanted to spew about Grima in general.

I patted him lightly on the shoulder, and he glanced back to give me a wry smile, before we both nearly tumbled out into the stable. The only thing that stopped us from landing end over end was the fact that we connected neatly with one of the horses in his stall. The beast gave an awful fright, kicking up hay and straw as it spun in it’s paddock, before I realized that the horse we’d run into was none other than Simbel.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:49 PM

“My poor baby!” I cried, probably a little too dramatically, as I race forward and clutched him around the neck. The horse was intelligent enough to recognize me, and instantly quieted, making soft, distressed sounds as he weaved back and forth in his stall. “Oh, don’t worry. It’s okay, Simbel. I’m so sorry we ran into you,” I cooed, stroking his nose calmingly.

One thing about Rohan horses is that not much bothers them for long, and within only a few moments, Simbel had quieted down enough to rest his head over my shoulder contentedly. “I guess you really did take good care of him,” I muttered wryly as I glanced over my shoulder at an overly amused Wulf leaning against the stall post. “He seems happy enough.” It twined my fingers in the still barely braded bits of Simbel’s mane, and smiled. “Got any string?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext