A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Ch. 2, Never Ending Running [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:33 PM

I shrugged again. “I’ve heard it’s very beautiful. I had always wanted to see it, and Boromir was kind enough to offer us a stay in his city. Unfortunately, we ran into some trouble in the form of a mass of Uruk-hai near the Anduin and…Our beloved little Hobbit friends were taken from us. So we decided to go after them. We couldn’t very well abandon the poor little fellows to such a sour fate.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Eomer nodded solemnly, and Boromir and the others were staring at me as if they couldn’t quite believe my story had worked. “I am indeed sorry to hear of such a thing,” Eomer said, shooting me a sympathetic look. “I wish there was more that my riders and I could do to help, but as I have already told your friends, we slaughtered the Uruk-hai during the night and we left none alive. We did not see your two Hobbit friends, I am afraid.” At the crestfallen and utterly bone-weary looks on the faces of the three travelers, minus myself, Eomer seemed to think of something he could do to help.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He gave a sharp whistle, startling me so badly I nearly fell off the rock. Three rider-less horses trotted over from the mass of riders, and I wasn’t surprised to see that one was Hasufel and the other Arod. The last was unfamiliar to me, of course, but it was a lovely shade of brown and I immediately forgot any and all weariness (though my legs didn’t, and protested angrily as I moved) as I left the rock and hopped on over to it.

Eomer watched passively, a faint smile of amusement hovering at the edges of his lips as I patted the horse and cooed over it. I’d always loved horses; I’d been one of those kids who had the ‘pony-craze’ thing going on big-time as a child. I’d gradually grown out of it, to the point where I didn’t ask for a horse every Christmas, but I still absolutely loved them, and getting to be up close and personal with one was practically a dream come true.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:34 PM

“May these horses bear you to better fortunes than their masters,” Eomer said at last, turning and locking gazes with Aragorn. “And good luck finding your Hobbit friends.” He moved towards me, and briefly patted the horse I was fawning over on the shoulder. “His name is Simbel. He is fleet of foot, and strong of heart. He will be a loyal and trustworthy steed and friend in the time to come.” He glanced at Aragorn, who had taken the reins of the chestnut horse. “That is Hasufel. And that is Arod. They will be ever faithful. Now I must take my leave of you.” He stepped away from the horse whose reins I was holding, and gave a small, half bow. “Take heed of my warnings of Edoras and be careful.” He glanced once over his shoulder, his face grim and unmoving. “It is forsaken, these lands.” Without another word, the leader of the Rohirrim turned and smoothly jogged back to his horse, mounting and shouting a command to his soldiers to ride to the north.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

As I busied myself with patting Simbel’s nose and hugging his neck (The ten year old in me approved heartily of getting to hug a horse), Boromir shot Aragorn a curious look. “What news of Edoras?” he asked quietly.

“Nothing good. I fear our presence there will be much needed, if not welcomed. We must find the Hobbits, however; I feel as though perhaps it would be best if we split our group in two.”

“Split?” Legolas asked, obviously finding the idea distasteful. “Is that such a good idea, Aragorn?”

“Perhaps not, but it is all I can think of. I feel it would be best if Boromir and Lady Winters traveled together to Edoras. Perhaps they can do some good there before we arrive, and we will not have such a difficult time once we get there.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Why me?” I asked suddenly, taking a quick break from fawning over my now ‘beloved’ horse friend. I was curious about Aragorn’s decision to split the company; it meant that his part of the story would go as planned, while Boromir and I would be on our own, without me knowing what was supposed to happen. It was a bit daunting, but I figured that it would be like any other day if I couldn’t foresee the future. I wasn’t too worried about what was going to happen to Aragorn and his company, but what if Boromir and I ran into some big trouble and fate decided to kill him anyways in retaliation for my interference?

That would suck.

“You are obviously tired,” Boromir pointed out, seeming to think the idea over and breaking me out of my thoughts. “And it would be easiest if I kept an eye on you.” Even as I wondered if he trusted me at all (not that I’d given him reason to, so it was a reasonable suspicion), he turned to Aragorn. “When you say ‘do some good,’ what is it that you truly mean? What is happening in Edoras?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:35 PM

“It seems that Theoden-king has taken ill as of late, and his council is no longer trustworthy, nor what it once was. He can no longer distinguish friend from foe, but I have no doubts that a lord from Gondor would be welcomed there, despite the state of their house,” Aragorn explained with a dark look. “It would be best if you went on ahead, but said nothing of the rest of our company. Perhaps you can see what has become of the kingdom of Edoras, and do some good in the way of fixing things.”

“It is not my place to do so,” Boromir said after a very long, pregnant pause. He and Aragorn locked gazes, and Boromir turned away first. “But I shall see what I can do, if anything. Come, my lady.” He turned to me, a thoughtful look crossing his face. “We shall ride together.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:35 PM

“Oh yay!” I couldn’t contain my glee at the prospect of riding the spiffy new horse of awesome, and Boromir seemed to misinterpret this as my excitement to ride with him. He tried very hard not to smile as he helped me into the saddle. Once I was situated, I promptly grabbed the reins and tried very hard not to yell ‘Giddyup!’ and spur the horse into action. Boromir swung up gracefully behind me, and lightly took the reins from my grip as Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli all mounted their own horses  (Gimli with a great amount of difficulty, as he insisted that he would not take any help from ‘a pointy-eared elfling prince’).

“We shall meet in Edoras in two days time,” Aragorn instructed, to which Boromir gave a curt nod. He turned the horse, and Aragorn and Legolas did the same, each of us taking off in separate directions.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:36 PM

The ride to Edoras was not exactly eventful. We didn’t see much, just rocks, fields upon fields, and quite frankly, a lot of birds and wind. I didn’t have much to say to Boromir (At least, nothing that he’d find interesting) and it appeared that he didn’t have much he wanted to ask me. So I spent a majority of the ride talking to Simbel (Which Boromir eavesdropped on, but to be fair, it wasn’t as if he could do anything about it) and generally telling the horse that he was now my best horse friend and I’d love him forever.

Eventually, I sort of ran out of things to say to my new horse (Because he was totally mine, and woe betide whomever tried to take him from me) and the silence between the three of us stretched on as we rode (I say three because I include Simbel in this as well), until Boromir shattered the quiet with his voice.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Lady Winters,” he said carefully, as though he’d been trying to pick out the words he’d wanted to say for a very long time.

“Just Samantha, or Sam, please.”

“Very well, Samantha,” Boromir continued, sounding nonplussed at the interruption. “Back when we first met…you said you were glad to see that I was alive. I have been wondering about this since that encounter and I had meant to ask…What did you mean by that, exactly?”

“Uh…” Whoops. I bit my lip, wondering how to put it. “Um, well…The Lady Galadriel saw your…um…death in her mirror. Which is another reason I was sent to follow along with you guys. I, uh, jumped into that fight to help you because I didn’t want you to die.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“And why, exactly, would you not want that?” There was a curious sort of amusement in his voice, and I studiously kept my eyes trained on Simbel’s ears.

“Well, you’re a nice guy, though you have your faults.” I could almost hear the eyebrow raise when I said that. “And I don’t want anyone to die. I know it happens, and it’s inevitable, but if there’s anything I could do to stop it, then I’d like to do it.” Most of this, I was just pulling out of my ass, quite frankly. I hadn’t intended to be in that fight, anywhere near it, or to stop the Uruk from killing Boromir. It had just kind of happened. But it was better to make up a story about it than awkwardly try to explain a truth he’d never be able to understand.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:37 PM

A long, pregnant silence stretched on between us, and I leaned forward to begin braiding the locks of Simbel’s mane that was closest to me. After what felt like a rather long time, and after I’d braided a good couple of chunks of mane, Boromir broke the silence again.

“Thank you, Samantha. If what you say is true, then I am truly in your debt.”

I managed to turn my head, twisting awkwardly to glance at Boromir over my shoulder. The soft, almost gentle and grateful smile he was flashing my way made my toes tingle, and I quickly turned back around to hide the blush that had crept up my neck and onto my cheeks.

“Yeah,” I mumbled, trying to ignore the fluttering in my stomach and continued braiding Simbel’s mane. “You’re very welcome, Boromir.”

The rest of the ride passed in relative, companionable silence. And for that, I was very grateful.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

When we reached the gates of Edoras, I had to crane my neck to see the top of the wall, where the guards were looking down on us with no small amount of suspicion.

I leaned back slightly, nearly causing Boromir to topple of the horse as he leaned back to accommodate me. “Hey, Boromir,” I began, and he responded with an inarticulate noise in the back of his throat that I took to meant ‘What is it?’ “When we get in there, don’t talk about Gandalf. Don’t mention his name. At all. I know Aragorn told you not to talk about the Fellowship, and he’s right. But Gandalf, above all else, is pretty taboo here. ‘Kay?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Boromir grunted in agreement, and I wondered why he was suddenly so quiet. “Perhaps it would be best if I dismounted,” He said at last, and before I could question why, he was already sliding off the side of the horse and taking Simbel’s reins in his hands. “Has that clever mind of yours come up with a story for why we are riding a Rohan horse together, and not two Gondorian steeds?” He glanced up at me with a sparkle of amusement in his blue eyes, and I blinked.

“Uh…” So, what now, I was the official story-maker? “Yeah. Got it. But that won’t matter unless they let us in-” I was cut off from saying anything more when the massive gates suddenly swung inward in slow motion and a pair of armed guards appeared just inside the threshold of the city. As I watched and Boromir stiffened slightly, they marched towards us and stopped a few feet away.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:38 PM

“What is your business in Edoras?” one of the men demanded, his gaze flickering from me, to Boromir, to the horse we rode and what kind of tack it was wearing. He seemed to recognize it as a Rohan steed, but he made no comment on the matter.

“I am Boromir, son of Denethor, Steward of Gondor. I have come to pay a visit to Theoden-king.” When the guards said nothing, Boromir arched an imperious eyebrow. “Would you deny me admittance?” That seemed to light a fire under the two guards boots, and they almost immediately apologized and motioned for Boromir to follow them. One ran ahead, his armor clanking with his hurried steps, as he rushed through the city and bounded up the steps to the great hall where I knew Theoden sat.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext