A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Ch. 2, Never Ending Running [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:27 PM

Following part of the Fellowship would’ve been super fun if it wasn’t for one thing.

Running.

Never. Ending. Running.

By the time we’d done about four miles, I was sure I was just going to keel over and die. My body wasn’t used to such physical exertion, and I was lagging behind even Gimli as I struggled to keep pace with the unfairly longer legged Boromir, Legolas and Aragorn. Legolas, of course, was prancing on ahead of the rest of us, completely unaffected by the long run. I don’t even think he was breathing heavily, but then, I couldn’t tell much from my position of dead last in the pack.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: Ch. 2, Never Ending Running [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:27 PM

“I can’t-” I huffed, desperately trying to catch my breath as I managed to overtake Gimli and puff along beside him. “-keep going. Gonna…die…soon…too much…exercise…” Gimli probably would’ve agreed wholeheartedly if he’d been able to talk past his wheezing.

“Just…keep…breathing,” he managed. “That’s the key…Breathe!” I think he was trying to convince himself more than me, but at this point, I didn’t rightly care. I was seriously considering just nancing out on the entire quest thing and flopping down into the middle of the gigantic expanse of the Riddermark fields to die of exhaustion, when the others ahead suddenly stopped.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:28 PM

“They are taking the hobbits to Isengard!” I vaguely heard Legolas yell as Gimli and I tried desperately to gain ground with them and catch up.

“Hurry!” Aragorn shouted, as though we hadn’t been doing just that for the past day or so, and Gimli let out a wheezy groan beside me, nearly stumbling and falling and doing the face-plant that I was so eagerly contemplating.

“We’re fucking trying!” I shouted back, managing to get the words out past my panting for breath. Boromir shot a look over his shoulder, spotted Gimli and I lagging behind, and promptly slowed his pace to jog along beside me. I wondered how in the hell he could even manage to run at all with all those clothes on and his sword and shield, but I chose not to comment on it; not that I could at this point, because I could barely breathe, let alone complain about the unfairness of the fitness of certain Gondorian lords.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:28 PM

“Are you all right?” he questioned quietly, and I was pissed to hear that he was barely struggling for breath. It was as if this entire day of running hadn’t taken much of a toll on him at all. I wanted to smack him, but his concern was touching. Plus, I didn’t know him all that well, so smacking him wouldn’t go over that great in this situation.

“I’m…fine…” I huffed out. In my head, the mantra of ‘Just keep breathing, just keep breathing,’ replayed over and over and over again until I was sure I’d pass out from lack of the ability to suck in enough oxygen. “Just not…used to…so much…running. I’m…a…natural…sprinter…” Gimli managed to shoot me a commiserating glance at that statement as he puffed along beside me, and I couldn’t help but feel a spark of kinship with the stout little dwarf. Misery loves company, after all.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:29 PM

Boromir, however, looked vaguely concerned. “Perhaps you should have gone back to Lothlorien; it would have been safer for you.” He shook his head, his eyes roaming over me in an assessing way that made me feel rather annoyed without knowing why. “You carry only your dagger and no other weapons?” I managed to shake my head, not wanting to waste precious energy or breath on replying. “How did you manage to get so far in these lands with so little at your defense?” I shrugged in response, and Boromir sucked in a long breath.

“In any case,” he continued, a faint smile touching his face. “Just stick close to me whenever you can. I will look after you.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I wanted to open my mouth and retort that I didn’t need looking after, since it was an almost automatic response back home when anyone challenged my independence, but then I realized that this was a different place, with different rules, and different dangers. I would most likely need his protection.

That, and I was too busy wondering if one of my lungs was about to collapse to answer him.

So, in response, I simply nodded and continued to huff and puff alongside my new best friend Gimli-the-dwarf-who-hates-exercise-as-much-as-I-do and Boromir, who kept pace with us, presumably to look after us and make us feel better about our lack of unholy fitness and the ability to run forever without stopping.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

It was only after we’d crested the rise of a hill that Aragorn decided to stop, his ‘ranger senses’ tingling, apparently. I clattered to a halt beside an equally distressed looking Gimli, bent almost double as I tried to catch my breath. Boromir hovered beside the dwarf and I, as if wondering what he could do to help, when Aragorn suddenly instructed us to hide near a cluster of rocky outcroppings atop the hill.

With a half-hearted grumble, I managed to stiffly make my way to the rocks with Gimli beside me and flopped down on one of them, looking incredibly haggard. If there’s one thing I’ve learned out of all of this, it’s that I seriously hate running. And I‘m way out of shape.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:30 PM

Boromir took a seat beside me, looking unruffled and with nary a hair out of place. It made me want to smack him again, because I knew I looked like a train wreck with sweat dripping down my face and my hair plastered to my neck. “What’s going on?” I gasped out, once I’d managed to marginally catch my breath.

“Riders,” Legolas remarked offhandedly as he gazed off into the distance. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes; if I wasn’t sure about what was going to happen next, I would’ve asked for more clarification. As it was, I simply managed to curl my aching legs up onto the rock and rested my forehead on them.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Which reminded me…I never got a good look at that mark that was there. Absently, I rubbed the spot between my eyes where the mark was supposed to be, and vainly tried to catch a glimpse of it. “Boromir,” I muttered, and the man turned his head towards me even as the still huffing Gimli settled beside me, and Legolas and Aragorn kept out of sight. The thundering of hooves was getting closer, I vaguely noted, but I wasn’t concerned. “What does the mark on my forehead look like?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He shot me a rather confused look as he peered at my face, before drawing back slightly. “The mark…is no longer there, I’m afraid.” he seemed as confused as I was as I reached up again to rub the spot between my eyes.

“Well, what did it look like?”

“Like a white star,” he said at last. “But I cannot remember it in it’s entirety. I did not get a very good glimpse of it. I was too busy worrying about you being a danger to our safety.” He smiled faintly, and I managed to smile back, before the ground literally shook beneath us. I now had more on my mind than the mysterious appearing and disappearing mark on my forehead that was, apparently, some kind of Elven sign or something (If Legolas recognizing it was anything to go by).

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:31 PM

A whole herd of horses and riders suddenly thundered past, and I was amazed at the sheer amount of soldiers there were. It was a fair bit more than was portrayed in the movie, but they looked remarkably similar. I wasn’t itching to be in that circle with those spears, so I grabbed Boromir’s arm and tugged. “Can you stick close to me?” I asked, shooting him my best ‘hopeful’ look. Boromir stared down at me for a long moment, before his face softened and he relented, nodding carefully. “Good. Because if Aragorn is going to get stuck in a circle of sharp objects, then I don’t want any part of it.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Boromir looked alarmed by that statement for a moment, before the riders suddenly began to thin out and pass us completely. Aragorn quickly stepped from his place near the rocks and called out to them, which lead them to turn towards us as one giant massive unit and promptly surround Gimli (Who had gone to join his friends) Legolas and Aragorn in said circle of sharp objects.

Boromir half-rose, as if to join them, but I placed my hand on his arm. “Just stay. They have it under control, I’m sure.” He looked vaguely unconvinced, but nodded anyway and settled back beside me, nervously fidgeting where he sat. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, thinking that a nervous lord of Gondor was rather adorable, before I realized that the circle of Rohirrim had broken apart slightly to reveal Eomer, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas striding towards us.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Eomer, this is Boromir, son of Denethor, of Gondor. And Lady Samantha Winters, of Lothlorien. They too are our traveling companions,” Aragorn informed the young soldier, and Eomer drew his gaze over Boromir and I in an assessing manner.

“It is good to finally meet you, Lord Boromir,” Eomer remarked, inclining his head in Boromir’s direction.

“And you as well, Lord Eomer,” Boromir replied civilly, a faint smile touching his lips as he returned the gesture.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:32 PM

“And it is a pleasure to meet you, Lady Winters. I must say, it is an odd sight to see such a group of travelers, all who hail form different homes.” He turned to fix Aragorn with an inquisitive look and I had to wonder why he didn‘t seem too bothered by my weird clothes or the fact that I was a woman; maybe he‘d seen weirder. His sister was Eowyn, after all. Who knew what kinds of things she dressed in or did when she was playing gender-bender? “And you say you are searching for Hobbits? What would bring such a group so far to the north?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:32 PM

Aragorn and the others exchanged thoughtful looks, as though trying to decide what to tell the young lord, when I decided to solve the problem for them. “We were on our way to Gondor. Boromir and Aragorn are old friends, and they were visiting Legolas and I in Lorien. Gimli was traveling with the two Hobbits, and they stopped for a rest in the Golden Wood. We learned that the dwarf and the Hobbits were going to Gondor, as were Aragorn and Boromir. Legolas and I wished to travel as well and…We all figured we were going the same way, so we struck out for Gondor together.”

“Why to Gondor?” Eomer questioned, raising one eyebrow as if he didn’t quite believe the story.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next