A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Ch. 3 Relocation [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:21 PM

Legolas, Gimli and I joined Aragorn and Boromir just as Eowyn was leaving them. Boromir looked faintly ill, and I noticed, with an inward smile, that Aragorn’s hand and part of his pants had soup stains on them. I sat down carefully beside Boromir, two bowls of soup in hand, and nodded vaguely in Aragorn’s direction. “Tried to dump it out, eh?” He rolled his eyes, but nodded resignedly.

“The lady Eowyn may have skill with a blade, but I am afraid her skill in the art of cooking may lack…refinement,” he admitted, glancing at the soup on his soup covered hand and pants almost sheepishly.

Boromir was staring into the depths of his bowl with a scowl on his face. “Refinement may be too light a term for this soup,” he grouched, before I thrust the second bowl of broth into his line of sight. He eagerly accepted it, carefully setting his other bowl aside and hiding it behind his pack, lest Eowyn come by and notice it.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:21 PM

“You are a queen among women,” he declared with a grin, before digging into his food.

“Actually, it’s my fault she brought you her soup. I told her you guys would be hungry.” I grinned wickedly when both men shot me dark looks. “Hey, in my defense, Legolas and I brought you food. So don’t look at me like that.” As if on cue, Legolas leaned over and handed Aragorn another bowl of soup as well, having waited until the ranger had managed to clean a majority of the broth he’d spilled from his clothing.

“That makes up for it, at least,” Boromir agreed, even as Aragorn dug into his stew.

“I thought so.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:22 PM

It was silent for a few minutes, save for the sound of spoons clacking against bowls and the slurping of soup, before Gimli broke it with a grunt. “How long until we reach the safety of Helm’s Deep?” he questioned gruffly, settling back into his bowl of soup as he waited for the answer.

I thought I heard Boromir mutter something along the lines of ‘There is no safety there,’ even as Aragorn answered; “Two more days, perhaps, if we make good time.” He looked vaguely troubled, fidgeting on the rock he sat on. I wondered what was on his mind, but I kept my mouth shut, knowing it most likely had something to do with Eowyn, and I didn’t want to make him anymore uncomfortable than he was.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:22 PM

\“We should find what rest we can for the night,” Aragorn continued as we finished our meals. “I am sure the watch will be looked after by king Theoden’s guards. We have nothing to worry about, for now.” The collective group agreed, and we all set about making a small niche for ourselves in the company of the entire population of Edoras. Legolas disappeared for a few minutes, then reappeared a while later, leading his horse behind him. He muttered something in Elvish as he removed Arod’s tack, and I was vaguely surprised to see the horse didn’t need to be tied as Simbel and Boromir’s horse (Who was named Cynegifu, which I found to be a relatively hilarious name, and who was, in fact, a female, hence being called a ‘mare’) and was able to move about freely as he wished.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:23 PM

“Damn Elves,” I muttered to myself as I hefted Simbel’s saddle from his back. Legolas seemed to have caught what I heard, as his head snapped towards me and he shot me a very smug look. I stuck my tongue out at him, relieved when he didn’t return the gesture, and inwardly pleased that he found it puzzling, before a brush suddenly appeared under my nose. I glanced up to see Boromir holding it out for me, and took it carefully from his hand.

“For your horse,” he explained at my curious look. He gestured to his own horse, who had been tied at a line set up by the Rohirrim guards. She was glistening in the sun, her pale, chestnut coat shining almost red from the thorough brushing her new master had given her. “Would you like help?” Boromir asked when I hadn’t responded after a few silent moments.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Oh, uh, sorry about that.” I shook myself out of my stupor, and turned to pat Simbel’s flank. “Yeah, some help would be great. I’ve never actually had to clean a horse before, so I’m not really sure how to do it.”

“If you’ll forgive me for saying,” Boromir murmured as he grabbed another brush to use for himself from his packs. “Your life in Lothlorien must have been relatively sheltered. And I would have thought you had done this before, given how deeply you seem to love horses.”

I blinked and inwardly cursed. I hated it when he brought up my ‘life before’ because then it meant I had to make some sort of excuse or story up as to why I didn’t know how to do a particular thing or had a particular experience. Instead of answering, I simply chose not to try and explain my way out of it, and let Boromir think what he would. I was tired of trying to figure out what to tell them, and was tempted to throw Gandalf’s caution to the wind and just let them know I was from another world.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Yeah, I could see that going over well. They’d think I was insane, if they didn’t already.

Boromir was, thankfully, silent as he helped me clean Simbel and showed me the proper way to hold a brush. He taught me to go with the grain of the horse’s hair, and to be careful when untangling knots from the mane and tail. He was even nice enough to show me the proper way to clean the hooves, though he left me to do the other three feet on my own (which sucked ‘cuz they were really, really heavy).

After Simbel was nice and clean and as shiny as Boromir’s mare, I realized that I’d spent a good hour looking after him, and by the time I was finished, the sun had partially set over the Rohan mountains. When I went to re-join our little group, I noticed that my bed roll had been taken from my saddle and already laid out for me. Curiously, I glanced over at Boromir, and he nodded and smiled my way, even as he turned back to quietly converse with Aragorn over something or other.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:24 PM

Legolas and Gimli had set up their own bedrolls only a few feet away, and there was another right beside my own. When I wondered where Aragorn was going to sleep, I got my answer in the form of the ranger settling himself against one of the rocks and pulling his pipe from the inside of his tunic.

As Boromir joined me and settled onto his bedroll, I nodded my head in Aragorn’s direction. “What’s wrong with him? How come he isn’t going to sleep?”

Boromir followed my line of sight, and then heaved a sigh, as if he’d already tired of the subject. “He has much on his mind,” the Gondorian replied softly. “And I do not blame him if he chooses to brood instead of sleep. He has many things to think over. I would not disturb him, if I were you.” He briefly reached forward and touched my hand, as if to offer me some form of comfort, before he settled on his bedroll with his back to me.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I waited until Boromir’s quiet snoring had begun, and Gimli’s loud rumbling snores had soon followed, before I rose as quietly as I could from my bedroll and carefully picked my way towards Aragorn. He looked up as I settled beside him, crossing my legs over each other. “Hey there,” I murmured, my eyes darting towards the sleeping forms of the remaining Fellowship as if daring them to wake up. “You doing all right?”

“Perhaps I should ask the same of you,” Aragorn whispered after a short stretch of silence. “Gandalf told me what the two of you spoke of before he departed. It can’t be easy being so far from home.” He eyed me speculatively when I didn’t answer. “Do you not miss your family?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I laced my fingers together and planted them on my lap. “I have a feeling you’re trying to change the subject, but it’s a valid question.” I shrugged faintly when he flashed me a guilty smile, twiddling my thumbs together over my laced hands. “I haven’t had much time to think about it, really. Everything happened so fast, I never stopped to wonder about my family.” Biting my lip, I tore my gaze away from Aragorn, staring hard at the grass beneath me. “If I had to guess, I’d say my mom and dad freaked out when they heard about…what happened. I love them, and I miss them dearly, but…I’m sorry that it happened, and that I left them behind, but I’m not sorry to be here. It’s…maybe it’s what I need. Back home, my life was kind of a mess. I didn’t know what I was doing, or where I was going. I mean, I thought I did, but I guess I hadn’t been as sure as I imagined I was.” I thought of Vairë’s words, and decided that she might have been right about having no real direction.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:25 PM

Aragorn remained silent, perhaps sensing that I would continue. “There’s a lot of things I miss from home that I can’t find here. Like electricity, and indoor plumbing.” I grinned at his confused look, but didn’t elaborate. “But this is like…this is a second chance. A chance to start over and make something of my life. I kind of feel like I’m helping by being here, even though I know I’m not.” I shot him a look full of amusement. “Although, granted, I did warn you about the soup.” Which was true; I had warned him when we’d first set out in passing about taking food from pretty ladies, but hadn’t quite elaborated.

Aragorn snorted faintly, muttering something that sounded like ‘You should have been more specific,’ before I continued. “I’m not going to deny that I miss my parents. Never seeing them is something…well, it’s something I’ll have to come to terms with, but everyone has to deal with loss at some point in their life. I will love them for the rest of my life, and their memory is something I will treasure and keep close, and I hope they will do the same. If I’m lucky, I’ll see them one day, after everything is over for me. As for friends…Well, I was too busy with school to have many close friends by the time I got into college, so there aren’t too many other people besides my family I miss. So I guess…in short, I’m doing fine. I’m going to have a few things to deal with when it really hits, but I’m fine, otherwise. As fine as I can be, for now.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:25 PM

I peered over at him, fixing him with a stern look. “Now you…What’s on your mind? Are you thinking about Arwen, perhaps?” At his startled look, I couldn’t do much but laugh. “Did I hit the nail on the head?” He seemed baffled by my modern phrase, but seemed to catch the gist of it.

“Yes, in a way. I have been having…troubling thoughts regarding the lady Arwen and the lady Eowyn.”

“Confused about love, huh? Aragorn, you’re just like every other man in the world. I don’t think there’s many of them who understand what love really is. But women are the same; sometimes we think we know what we want, when in reality, what we want is not what we really need. I think, for the most part, many of us find ourselves in love with an idea, and until we figure out what it is we need and not want, we’re all a bit lost. Eowyn thinks she knows what she wants, and thinks she has found it in you. Arwen knows what she wants, and she knows it is you. However, I know there are many things that keep you away from each other, so I won’t say anymore on the matter. I’m sure you’ll figure it out on your own.” I patted his shoulder as I hauled myself to my feet, brushing off my leggings. “Stop worrying so much and get some sleep. Dark circles under the eyes are very unbecoming.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:26 PM

Aragorn smiled faintly as I carefully turned and made my way around the bedrolls. As I passed Gimli and Legolas, I noticed a dark shape sitting up beside the dwarf, and I frowned when I realized it was the elf. Hadn’t he gone to sleep? Confused, I decided to step past him, when an arm shot out and grasped my wrist, stilling my movement. I glanced down to see Legolas gazing up at me, the moonlight illuminating his hair and face. “What is it?” I whispered, glancing over at Gimli to be sure I didn’t wake the dwarf.

He tugged me easily down to sit beside him, his voice as low as my own. “I heard your conversation with Aragorn. From the moment you appeared, I doubted your story, but the mark upon your forehead…” He gestured to my head vaguely with his hands. “It was not something I had ever seen upon any mortal or elf, but I knew it instantly. It was why I accepted your story so readily, though it sounded very strange to me. I had not heard of a human living within the borders of Lothlorien, least of all one that would be sent by the Lady of Light herself to accompany us. And I did not understand why you, out of all, would be sent.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He leaned back slightly, looking me over carefully. “I did not know what purpose a woman could serve upon this quest, or how you could be helpful in any way, if you’ll pardon me saying.” When I waved it off, he continued. “I still do not see your purpose here, yet from what I heard of your conversation with Aragorn, it seems you are not from this world at all. Am I correct?”

“Uh…”

Legolas seemed to take my hesitation as agreement, and nodded his head sharply. “As I thought, then. A strange thing indeed and something which amazes me. I am to assume that Gandalf knows of this also?” When I didn’t respond, the elf merely sighed. “I see. So then, only Aragorn, Gandalf and yourself are aware.” He peered at me closely. “You have never even been to the Golden Wood, have you?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“No,” I admitted finally, twiddling with the loose ends of my tunic. “I haven’t.”

Legolas made a noise of amusement in the back of his throat. “This is a dangerous thing you have done, to use the Lady’s name and her home to create an almost believable story. But to an elf, it was not so believable. I am sorry to say, but you are quite a terrible liar. It is good that the men and the dwarf do not suspect.” He laughed quietly when I slanted him a dirty look, careful to keep his voice down. “Have no fear. Your secret is safe with me. But I would again ask of what use you could be to this quest. I fear you are in more danger here than anywhere else.” Legolas paused, watching me very carefully with a gaze that made me fidget uncomfortably. “And you seemed to know Aragorn’s thoughts. Do you have a power like that of Lady Galadriel? Or perhaps the power of foresight? Like Lord Elrond?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext