A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Ch. 3 Relocation [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:57 PM

Boromir really was pissed when Legolas finally returned with him.

He had quite a few choice words to say about the ‘House of the Horse lords’ and only relented in his verbal assault (Whispered verbal assault, I might add) when I placed my hand on his arm and promptly told him that it wasn’t Theoden’s fault.

“In fact,” I supplied. “Theoden had absolutely no idea you were even here.” I then launched into a story about Saruman controlling Theoden and Grima being the silver tongued mastermind behind the whole thing. It took Boromir a while to come to terms with the outlandish story, but after a few well-placed words from Aragorn and Gandalf, he readily accepted it, and apologized quietly to no one in particular.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: Ch. 3 Relocation [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:58 PM

The next day was spent in a whirlwind of emotion, with Theoden finding out about his son, and then going off the deep-end emotionally, and then having to bury said son and come to terms with the fact that he didn’t get to say goodbye, and probably could’ve stopped his death from even occurring if he’d been more competent and capable and not under a wizard’s spell.

I felt for the guy, I really did.

I also felt for Eowyn. The poor girl was practically beside herself with grief, happiness, and then grief again. She was saddened beyond belief at the passing of her cousin, happy that her uncle was back, then sad again at the burying of her cousin and the subsequent emotional break-down of her uncle.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:58 PM

All in all, it kind of made my head spin just thinking about all the emotional turmoil that was going on in Edoras and although I was present at the funeral (Super sad, by the way) I didn’t say a word, and I stuck close to Boromir near the back of the crowd. In turn, Boromir carefully placed a hand on my shoulder, offering whatever comfort he thought I might need. I was thankful for his presence, even if I wasn’t upset by the general events of the day; it was just nice to have him there.

The next day, after a good night’s sleep (Rohan beds are quite comfortable), we were all gathered in the Hall of Edoras. It was much warmer than it had been when we first arrived. A good deal more fires were lit, and the smell of cooking stew permeated the air, and made it much more welcoming than it had been. I was content to settle onto the bench with Gimli. Two young children that had been brought in by the guards when they were found near the outskirts of the city, half alive and on horseback, were settled on a bench across the hall from us.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:59 PM

The little boy and the little girl were incredibly endearing, even as they slurped down their soup with hearty vigor. On our side, near the end of the bench and across from me, Gimli was doing the same, but he was much less adorable than the children, I had to admit. Next to me, Aragorn leisurely puffed on his pipe, listening intently to Theoden speak. Legolas stood behind us, observing the proceedings with his ridiculous elf eyes and hearing.

Boromir was leaning on the pillar beside the bench, arms folded over his chest and a thoughtful look on his face as Gandalf spoke. He had been informed of the fate of his two young Hobbit friends, and had been in a rather good mood (For Boromir) since he’d heard the two were nice and safe.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 6:59 PM

“Dude, Gimli,” I whispered in the hush of the hall as the dwarf in front of me scarfed down some meat. “Slow down, man. You’re gonna choke.” Legolas seemed to find this incredibly funny, as I heard a very un-elf-like snort of smothered laughter from directly behind me. Gimli graced my comment with a belch and proceeded to dab at his beard with his hand. I wrinkled my nose, grabbing a piece of bread and biting into it. “Gross,” I mumbled, ignoring my friend’s bad table manners.

As we ate, Gandalf was quietly counseling Theoden to fight, and as I looked over, I saw the king’s eyes dart to the hand the wizard set on the arm of his throne and I knew he was remembering the silver-tongued Grima, and the way he had sat at his side and whispered poisonous words into his ear.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:00 PM

“You have two thousand good men, riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. He will return and fight for his king,” Aragorn supplied carefully from his place beside me.

“Eomer cannot help us now,” Theoden snapped, but his words lacked bite, and even I could see the weariness on his face. “Eomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people.” Theoden lifted his chin. “I will not risk open war.”

“Open war is upon you,” Aragorn counseled quietly, and I saw Theoden turn towards our table with a darkening eye. “Whether you would risk it or not.” I was tempted to elbow Aragorn in the side and tell him to shut up while he was ahead, but he met Theoden’s gaze evenly with a calm look of his own.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:00 PM

“Last I checked,” Theoden practically hissed, and I saw anger flash through his eyes. “Theoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan.”

“Then what would the king decide?” Gandalf asked, rising from his chair and directing a weighty look at Aragorn past Theoden’s shoulders.

Theoden was very silent, and I could practically see the gears turning as he stared, unseeing and unblinking, at a spot on the far wall, just past Boromir’s pillar. “We will go to Helm’s Deep,” he said at last, his voice quiet, as though wondering if his decision was the best one. “We will stand a better chance of defending ourselves there than at Edoras.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:01 PM

I saw Aragorn close his eyes in resignation, and behind Theoden, Gandalf mirrored the look. “Háma,” Theoden barked, and the man with the beard, the first guard Boromir and I had met, who had taken our weapons, suddenly appeared at his side, bowing at the waist as he reached his king. “Give the order to the people. We strike out for Helm’s Deep as soon as possible. Make haste.” Háma nodded and bowed again, before striding off to presumably spread the order around the city.

“I will take my leave,” Theoden supplied to the room. “I must prepare for the journey.” By prepare, I assumed he meant get ready to ride his horse, because surely he wouldn’t do his own packing, if he even had anything to pack at all. The occupants of the hall nodded jerkily, agreeing readily to the king’s words as Gandalf approached our table.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:01 PM

“Is this the wisest choice?” Boromir asked quietly. “There is no way out of Helm’s Deep. It is like a tunnel with no escape. Would they not be safer here?”

“No,” Aragorn replied, shaking his head. “Perhaps he is right. He is doing what he thinks is best for his people, and I understand that. They do have a better chance there than in Edoras. Helm’s Deep is easier to defend.”

“And should they be cornered there?” Boromir demanded. “What then? We are to travel with them, and we shall be trapped as well.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:02 PM

“What would you have them do?” Aragorn demanded, turning in his seat to fix Boromir with a steely gaze. “Would you have them make haste to Gondor, to hide behind the walls while Saruman’s army pursue and overtake them? They would never make it. And I fear war already marches on Gondor’s own borders. Their best hope is Helm’s Deep. Or do you have a better idea that you would like to propose to the king?”

Boromir held Aragorn’s gaze for a long moment, and I shifted uncomfortably, stuck between two powerful, stubborn minded men who decided it would be a good idea to have a staring contest with me trapped in the middle. “Guys,” I said at last, hoping to diffuse the tension. “Don’t worry. It’ll be fine, I’m sure. Theoden is just doing what he thinks is best. Besides, he’s the king, and the decisions are his to make. And like it or not, we’re all just guests here, so we should sit down, shut up, and play nice. Okay?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:02 PM

Boromir leveled me with an annoyed look, as though upset at being interrupted in his staring contest with Aragorn. For his part, Aragorn just looked resigned to agree, and turned back around in his seat as Gandalf eyed me appraisingly. “Speaking of guests,” the old wizard piped up, and Boromir broke his gaze with me to glance up at Gandalf. “I believe that talk you and I were supposed to have is long overdue, Lady Winters.”

“Just Samantha, please,” I responded automatically, getting a bit annoyed at all the ‘lady’ stuff. At least they weren’t calling me ‘ma’am.’ That would’ve been ten times worse. “Just say the word, and I’m there.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:03 PM

“Very well.” Gandalf inclined his head, and motioned to the door. “You and I will go ahead of the others and take a walk. The rest of you-” he instructed, addressing the leftovers of the group. “-make ready to leave for Helm’s Deep. I must speak with you, as well, before I leave.” While he spoke, I managed to extricate myself from the bench (which was really hard, considering I was still wearing a dress) without falling over. Boromir helped to steady me as I nearly crashed into him, and I shot him a small smile of thanks as I scurried over to Gandalf’s side.

The two of us walked in silence from the hall and down the massive steps that led into the city. “Aragorn tells me many intriguing things about you, my dear. He mentioned you arrived out of thin air, that you bore the mark of the Valar upon your forehead and, most troubling of all, you seem to know the fate of this quest and those who have undertaken it. The story you wound of being an emissary of Lothlorien was very well played, I must admit, and I feel it is one you should stick with when questioned of your knowledge. Aragorn also mentioned something interesting about Boromir.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I winced, scratching the back of my head as I tried to keep my dress from flying all over the place. “Yeeeaaahhh…Boromir. He’s supposed to be-”

“-Dead, I take it. Yes, I gathered as much, from what Aragorn has told me. The very fact that he is alive is thanks, in no small part, to you.” He turned to fix me with a look, and I tried not to flinch away. “Tell me, Samantha, if you can, if the quest is now going as it should. And please, enlighten me as to how you know all of this.”

“Er, well, yes, I suppose. I dunno what Frodo is up to, per say, but aside from the addition of Boromir, everything is going according to plan.” I rubbed my wrist in thought, trying to figure out how to tell him that his world was a book in my world. “Where I’m from, all of this, Middle Earth and everything…It’s all fiction. It’s a book, written by an author a long, long time ago. I’ve never read the book, but I saw something called a movie-” At his confused look, I tried to elaborate in a way I thought he’d understand. “-Paintings that move as if they are alive and tell a story. It told the entire story of the Fellowship, beginning to end. But I always thought it was just a story. I never imagined it was real.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Gandalf gazed off into the distance for a few, silent moments, before he turned to regard me out of the corner of his eye. “An interesting explanation. One I had not anticipated. It is all rather strange to me, but I believe I understand. Then this…story is going as it should?”

“Yep, so far so good.”

“Excellent,” Gandalf grunted, nodding his head quickly. “I would like to ask a favor of you, my dear.”

“Is this one of those ‘if the quest goes astray, please give me a heads up’ requests?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:04 PM

Gandalf raised an eyebrow. “Partly. I would very much wish for you to tell me how this quest ends, but I know that I am not meant for such knowledge. I would be eternally grateful for…hints, of sorts, and if the quest strays, I would ask that you do your best to correct it.”

“Can do!” I said happily, straightening and giving Gandalf a mock salute. He again raised an eyebrow, deciding that, that was as good as he was going to get.

“Now, about that mark that appeared on your forehead. Do you know how you received it?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next