A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Ch. 3 Relocation [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:16 PM

About four hours after we left the city, all of us, minus Gimli, had been dismounted. Gimli somehow ended up riding Eowyn’s horse and striking up a rather glorious conversation with her about dwarf women. Legolas, Boromir and I were a few feet ahead, and I knew Legolas was listening to the conversation behind us by the way he was stifling his laughter every now and again in very un-elf-like squeaky snorts.

“You are so strange,” I muttered, and he turned his head to regard me with a faint smile.

“I don’t think I’m all that strange.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

“Let me break it down for you, friend-o. You’re one of the only elves in history who has befriended a dwarf, your face actually has a smudge of dirt on it, which I’m sure is taboo in your culture, you’ve been making the weirdest, snorting noises to stop yourself from laughing at stuff that’s obviously funny, and you are totally hanging out with humans and hobbits now. Face it, you’re strange.”

Legolas had a sort of contemplative look on his face as he digested this. “I suppose you’re right,” he admitted ruefully. “But I do not regret the events that have led me thus far. They are memories I shall treasure unto the end of my days.”

“Which will be a very, very, very long time from now, if ever at all,” I remarked, earning a smile from the elf beside me.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Indeed.”

Boromir listened in relative silence, nodding along in agreement every now and again. “How long before we make camp?” I asked, and he glanced at me over Simbel’s neck.

“Probably another half a day. We will no doubt make camp nearer to nightfall. We cannot travel during the night with such a large group. It would be too dangerous.”

“Ah. Well, don’t eat any of Eowyn’s soup, you two. You’ll regret it.”

Both man and elf slanted me quizzical, curious looks, but before they could ask why, the sound of Gimli taking a rather amusing spill behind us stole their attention. None of us tried to smother our laughter as the dwarf rolled about on the ground, continually assuring Eowyn, who had run over to see if he was all right, that ‘it was deliberate.’

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:17 PM

“Nice,” I muttered, even as Legolas held up to be sure his friend was all right, leaving Boromir and I to walk alone. I ducked under Simbel’s neck and ended up on his other side, putting me next to Boromir as we walked. “So, ‘Mir, I need to talk to you about something.”

Boromir raised an eyebrow, and inclined his head, as if asking me to continue. “Well, you remember that whole ‘fiancé’ thing, right?” He nodded, looking a bit more guarded than usual. “Well, we never actually dispelled that, you know? So, according to everyone here but the Fellowship, we’re still, technically, engaged to be married or something. So I was wondering…” I stared at the tips of my boots as we walked. “…did you want to just tell people we were lying, or just go with the flow and let the chips fall where they may?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He looked relatively confused at my wording. “You mean to let the matter stay as it is, and let others believe we are truly…engaged? Is that what you mean?”

“Yep,” I agreed, still doing my best to bore a hole into the tips of my boots with my eyes. “That’s what I mean.”

“I have no qualms about letting the matter lie. It is relatively unimportant in the scheme of things. I doubt very many would remember or care.” When I jerked my head up to look at him, I found he was studying his own boots very intensely. “Unless of course, you care and you wish for me to tell everyone otherwise?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I thought about it for a moment, and decided that it probably wouldn’t do much harm if we left it was it was, and I wasn’t too worried about it at all. The only person who’d brought it up so far was Eowyn, and I doubt it would do much damage if left as is. Finally, after a few agonizing moments (For Boromir, unbeknownst to me) I nodded my head and shrugged. “I don’t mind at all, actually. If it doesn’t bother you, then it doesn’t bother me.”

Boromir let out a rush of breath, and I offered him an inquisitive look, which he chose to studiously ignore. “Very well,” he agreed with a nod, patting his horse’s neck absently. Shrugging, I studied his horse closely, comparing the pale chestnut mare to my own beloved Simbel and found that he or she just wasn’t as pretty as ‘my baby.’

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Hey, where’d you get the horse?”

Boromir jerked his head towards me, before turning his eyes briefly to his horse. “A gift from the King, as a way of apologizing for throwing me in prison,” he explained with a rueful smile. “While we’re on the topic of gifts, where did you get that sword?” He motioned vaguely to my hip, and the short sword Eowyn had given me that hung there.

“Oh, this? Eowyn gave it to me when I asked for…some kind of weapon besides my dagger. Can’t exactly do a lot of defending with this little thing.” I pointed at the dagger, which hung just behind my sword on my belt. “She gave me a lot of stuff, though. Like my clothes and this bag, and I guess Simbel as well, since no one has tried to take him from me…thank goodness. I just hope she didn’t rob some poor person blind in the process.” I slanted a half smile in Boromir’s direction, and he chuckled loudly, obviously finding the idea highly amusing. “Speaking of swords and stuff, do you think, sometime soon, you can give me a few lessons? I have absolutely no idea how to use a sword.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:18 PM

Boromir’s face turned puzzled. “They did not teach you in Lorien?”

Crap. “Uh, no, not really. I mean, I can use a bow.” Lies, all lies. “But I’ve never even picked up a sword.”

“Why then, did you not leave Lorien with a bow as your weapon?”

“I, um, I broke it.” Lame. At Boromir’s disbelieving brow raise, I hurried to clarify. “I ran into a couple of Orcs, and since I didn’t have a sword, I used it to beat the guff out of them and…well…They snapped it in half.”

“How did you survive such a thing?” Boromir asked, and he seemed very concerned at the idea of me fighting.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:18 PM

“I stabbed them with my arrows. But since the arrows would’ve been useless without a bow, I just left them there. I only had my dagger after that. But I really need some lessons with a sword, and I figured you’d be the best to ask. I could talk to Aragorn about it, though, if you don’t want to teach me. It’s perfectly fine.” Making up a bunch of excuses to explain away gaps in my story was getting harder and harder.

I inwardly smiled when Boromir hastily rushed to assure me that he would be happy to give me sword lessons himself. I noticed that the rivalry between the two men hadn’t exactly puttered out like it should have, but at least it wasn’t some kind of unholy, unhealthy competition. Just an easy rivalry between two Gondorian lords.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:19 PM

It didn’t take long after that for Theoden announced that our caravan would be stopped for the night to rest.

In general, there was a good deal of scurrying around on the women’s parts as they hurried to make food for everyone in various pots and pans scattered here and there around small, well tended fires. I tried to hang back, not wanting to get in their way, but was pulled into helping out by Eowyn, who had noticed me trying hard to hide behind my horse and promptly dragged me along behind her to help with the soup, AKA, be her taste tester.

“Try this,” she commanded, holding up a spoon of the broth and blowing lightly on it. “And tell me what you think.” Unaware of what I was agreeing to (I had no idea this was her soup; I thought it was someone else‘s, which was, in retrospect, a stupid assumption), I took the spoon without hesitation and popped it into my mouth. I couldn’t stop myself from spitting the broth out almost immediately after it hit my tongue. I grabbed the spoon and waved it in the air.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Oh, oh goodness,” Eowyn fretted, taking the utensil back from me and furrowing her brows. “Is it bad?”

Bad? Try horrible. But upon seeing the look on Eowyn’s face, I decided that I couldn’t exactly blurt something like that out. “No, no!” I assured quickly, waving my hands in front of me. “It was just…too hot. Burned my tongue.” Eowyn raised a brow skeptically, as if she didn’t quite believe me, but I nodded emphatically and grabbed the spoon again, taking a scoop of the broth and blowing on it before sticking it back in my mouth. I tamped down the urge to spit it back out as I smiled shakily. “See? It’s really good. Listen, why don’t you go see if Aragorn and Boromir would like some?” I spied Gimli heading our way, and motioned towards him. “Maybe Gimli is hungry too.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“I’m glad it’s so good; I am not usually the best of cooks,” Eowyn said, her face falling into a relieved smile. “I will do so. Perhaps the lord Aragorn would enjoy some.” I ignored the fact that she had left out Gimli and Boromir, and quickly waved her off as Gimli set his sights on us and trundled over the rocky terrain.

As Eowyn passed him, she asked if he would like some soup, but upon seeing me waving my hands and shaking my head frantically behind the Rohan noblewoman, he quickly, but politely, declined. “That stuff,” I whispered as he neared, and Gimli leaned in to hear what I had to say. “-is the worst soup I’ve ever tasted. Let’s leave Boromir and Aragorn to their torment and go find some real food.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:20 PM

Gimli’s lips lifted into a smile behind his beard, and he raised one bushy eyebrow beneath his helmet, using his axe as a walking stick to help him balance. “Is it truly so bad, lass?” he questioned, pivoting to look back over his shoulder at where Eowyn was approaching Boromir and Aragorn, who had started a quiet conversation regarding Helm’s Deep upon the announcement to stop.

“You have no idea,” I muttered, rolling my eyes. “Let’s go find Legolas. Maybe he’s managed to find someone who can cook a decent meal.”

“Or he’s eating that cursed whey bread of his,” Gimli grumped, sounding annoyed at the very thought of having to come anywhere near the lembas bread.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:20 PM

“At this point, anything would be better than Eowyn’s soup,” I muttered, earning a smothered snort from the dwarf beside me, even as Legolas’s freakishly blonde hair came into view. He was standing beside his horse, speaking softly as he stroked it’s nose, but he turned quickly when he noticed our approach, and once more, I marveled (and inwardly grumbled) at Elvish hearing. “Yo!” I called, raising a hand as we neared. Legolas seemed used to be strangeness by now, and brushed off the greeting as though I’d only said ‘Good evening!’ “You find anything good to eat? Or have you been hanging with your horse this entire time?” I patted Arod’s cheek even as Legolas raised one dark brow.

“I would look after my horse before myself,” he said carefully. “Have you done the same?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/25/2013 7:21 PM

I resisted the urge to smack him at the implication. “Of course I did. Simbel’s wandering around with Boromir’s horse, happy as a clam. Now, if you haven’t found any decent food, then I suggest you help us look. And steer clear of Eowyn’s soup.” At his questioning look, Gimli decided to elaborate.

“It is tantamount to torture, to hear the lass speak of it,” he  grumped. “But I am starved from a long day’s walk and ride.”

“And that tumble,” I added, causing Legolas to smirk widely.

Gimli chose to ignore my comment. “Come, let us find some food and join Boromir and Aragorn where they rest.”

Legolas and I nodded in agreement, and the three of us set out to find some decent food.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext