A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Chapter 4: Swordplay

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:25 PM

I could’ve swore I felt Simbel heave a sigh of relief beside me. I know I certainly did, even as I hobbled over and retrieved my sword. All around us, the sounds and sights of battle were fading, the Wargs and their riders dispatched with efficiency and relative ease by the remaining Rohirrim. I felt Simbel limp up behind me, settling his head on my shoulder even as I sheathed my sword; I knew it wouldn’t be of any use (not that it had been much help to begin with). I patted the horse on the nose, and he snorted, as if to say ‘That was some fight!’ I shot him a dirty look and wound an arm around my abdomen again.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:26 PM

Now that the adrenaline and fear of battle were wearing off, the aches and pains and injuries I’d sustained were hitting me full force. I groaned as I leaned against Simbel, who’s flank was still bleeding from the massive wound the Warg had inflicted. I inspected his hip first; the cut was shallow, but probably painful, and I knew he’d need to be looked after before he went into any more battles (Hopefully, that‘d never happen). Having assessed his wounds, I took stock of my own: a gash across my arm and a torn sleeve, and when I lifted my collar and checked inside my tunic, I could already see the ugly, dark marks from where the Warg had stood on me and knocked into me with his head. And I knew my back was probably just a large mass of lumps and bruises from falling off my horse and subsequently being knocked into the dirt.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:27 PM

“But otherwise,” I murmured, tearing off my ruined sleeve and using it to gently dab at the slices on Simbel’s flank.  “I think you and I did fairly well. Even if we only fought one opponent. I think we need a lot more work if we’re going to face down two of them. Or more.” Simbel bobbed his head, as if to agree, but I knew he was unhappy with me touching at his wound, and once I’d cleaned the blood from it as best I could, I tore another piece of my ruined tunic sleeve off and wrapped it around my own still bleeding arm.

“Samantha!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:27 PM

I looked up at the shrill, panic-stricken voice to see Boromir rushing towards me on his own horse. Lucky bastard didn’t look like he’d sustained even a scratch as he dismounted elegantly and raced towards me.  Where had he been during the fight, anyway? He nearly collided with Simbel in his haste to reach me, and his arms shot out to wrap around me, crushing me to him in a terribly uncomfortable embrace.

If my mind had been able to process real thoughts at that moment, I might’ve protested the hug. But as it was, the gesture had caught me so off-guard, that all I could do was stand there, frozen solid in the circle of Boromir’s arms. I vaguely registered that his chest was heaving, as though he’d run a very long way to reach me. My mind seemed incapable of forcing me to step away from him, and instead seemed to have other ideas entirely. As if of their own volition, my arms lifted and returned his embrace. Before I knew it, I was clinging to him as though he was my lifeline, and my body began shaking as my mind caught up with me and registered what had just happened.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:28 PM

“That was so flipping scary!” I cried into his vest, even as his arms tightened around me and held me closer. “I almost died!”

Boromir suddenly pulled back, holding me at arm’s length with an iron grip. I hissed with displeasure as his fingers ghosted over my arm. “You are relatively unharmed,” he murmured almost wonderingly. He lifted his hand, cupping my cheek and holding my gaze for a few, long moments. “Thank the high stars you aren’t hurt. I am so sorry I could not reach you in time, but I was delayed by a fight of my own.” Then he was crushing me to him again, but this time, I squirmed uncomfortably.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“’Mir, just ‘cuz you can’t see the wound, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Your sword is digging me in the stomach, and I’m bruised from head to toe.” As if on cue, he instantly released me, looking me over once more with a concerned face. Just over his shoulder, I could see Legolas and Gimli jogging towards us. Behind them, Theoden had turned away from a cliff, issuing orders to his soldiers, and I felt my breath catch.

That was right.

I’d forgotten.

Aragorn had fallen off the cliff. And they all thought he was dead.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I caught a flash of something akin to sorrow and anger in Legolas’s eyes as he reached us, his blue gaze glittering darkly with the promise of  ‘a talk’ to come later on, when there were no prying ears or eyes. Gimli’s face was awash with concern and relief, but there was a lingering sadness in his gaze that made my heart sink into my stomach. I carefully turned away from Boromir then, ignoring his confused look even as he finally caught sight of the dwarf and the elf approaching. When he turned to confer with them, I quickly ducked under Simbel’s neck and took his reins, patting his shoulder comfortingly as I whispered; “Come on, boy. It’s a long walk to Helm’s Deep. I think you and I can make it.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:29 PM

Simbel bobbed his head, and I managed to swing myself back up into the saddle with great difficulty even as Boromir’s shocked exclamation of denial at learning Aragorn’s fate echoed behind me. I turned to glance once at them over my shoulder, catching sight of a grief-stricken Boromir and an equally sorrowful Gimli. When I locked eyes with Legolas, his gaze turned dark and shone with an unholy anger.

Things didn’t look good for me when we got back to Helm’s Deep.

But for now, I wasn’t going to think about it.

I just wanted to rest.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:29 PM

The ride to Helm’s Deep was tense and silent.

Boromir glanced at me every once in a while, and he looked as though he wanted to say something to me, but kept thinking better of it. Gimli and Legolas were uncharacteristically silent as well, their faces set with grim frowns as they plodded along beside me.

The only thing that made me feel better about the entire ordeal was the fact that Simbel was not limping, and his wound didn’t seem to be giving him much problems. I was glad it was shallow enough not to be of any serious concern; having been a  pre-med student for the last couple of years before I quit, I wasn’t too terribly concerned about either of us. Even my wounds were shallow enough not to cause concern, although that didn’t make the bruises and the scratches any less painful; I‘d have to watch them closely for any signs of infection, though.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:30 PM

Every time Simbel took a step, my body jolted in pain. In hindsight, hugging Boromir hadn’t been a good idea, because all the armor and poky things didn’t do much to improve my situation. I stifled a groan, biting my lip to keep silent.

Besides the pain of my physical wounds, I was feeling an overwhelming feeling of guilt; I couldn’t believe that I’d forgotten about Aragorn falling over the cliff. Even if I knew he was okay, Legolas, Boromir and Gimli did not, hence the death glares the elf was sending me, and the fact that I’d just let him fall over the cliff (but really, what could I have done to stop it?) was weighing heavily on my mind. Maybe if I’d given Aragorn a hint, or warned him, or something, I could’ve saved him form that grisly fate. And probably kept him from going through a hell of a lot of pain and suffering too.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

But who’s to say I wouldn’t have altered something drastically? I snuck a glance at Boromir, Mr. Case-in-point. I still wasn’t sure what him being alive would change, but I knew it probably wouldn’t be good, and it could cause a whole hell of a lot of trouble. I was determined not to upset the quest or course of events anymore than I had to, and it wasn’t as if I was going to try and off Boromir just because he was supposed to be dead but wasn’t just to fix things.

I could, at least, keep an eye on him, but I’d have to leave the others to their own devices, even if Aragorn and Legolas knew I was aware of what was going to happen. And if that meant they still had to get hurt and go through their trials, then so be it.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

It didn’t make the decision any easier, though.

Sighing, I slumped forward in my saddle, clutching the reins tightly in my hands, which were covered in little nicks and shallow cuts from the warg fight earlier. I shuddered just thinking about it; if I had my way, I’d never be in another battle again. Ever.

The hurried sound of horse hooves echoed all around me, and I realized the company had sped up; when I glanced up, I saw exactly why. The gates of Helm’s Deep loomed high and tall and imposing, and I couldn’t help but gape openly at the causeway that led to them, amazed that it looked so remarkably similar to the movie. But really, at this point, I should’ve stopped being amazed.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:31 PM

I felt a gust of air breeze past me, and I looked to my left to see Legolas urging his horse forward, casting me a dark look as he rode past. Recoiling slightly, I decided that the elf didn’t look normal when he was pissed off, and I quite honestly didn’t want that look directed at me ever again. The sound of hooves on my right caught my attention, and I turned to see Boromir plodding along beside me, gazing at me with concern in his eyes.

Really, I should’ve been the one concerned for him; after all, I knew Aragorn wasn’t dead, but he didn’t. He’d mourn the loss of a friend, and I’d feel…well, I’d feel nothing. And that made me feel shitty.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:32 PM

“Are you all right, Samantha?” he questioned softly, and his quiet concern hurt a whole lot worse than Legolas’s elven-glare-of-doom. “Do you wish to talk? When we reach Helm’s Deep? I know this must be hard for you.” He lifted his hand, as if he wanted to reach out and grab mine, but instead he gently touched my shoulder, looking unsure in a way I had never seen before.

I offered him a tight-lipped smile, feeling my stomach clench with guilt, and nodded.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:32 PM

“Yeah, that might be good. I should talk to Legolas first though; I think this whole thing has…hit him the hardest.” The guilt intensified at the lie, but I knew the elf would want to have words with me, and I’d rather Boromir wasn’t around to hear it, and potentially get angry because of it.

He nodded his head slowly, still looking slightly unsure, before he motioned for me to go ahead of him, and I spurred Simbel on up the causeway, patting his neck as we fell into step behind Legolas, Gimli and their horse. If the elf had eyes in the back of his head, I knew he’d be glaring at me; as it was, I could feel his bad mood all the way behind him, and it was really starting to grate on my nerves.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous