A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: Chapter 4: Swordplay

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:12 PM

We rode along in silence, neither of us speaking, and I watched the rest of the Fellowship up ahead. Legolas had dismounted from his horse, leaving Gimli to plod along on Arod’s back by himself. Aragorn and Eowyn were walking side by side, leading their horses, and had their heads ducked slightly as they spoke to one another. Briefly, I considered that, at some point during the day, the Wargs would be attacking, but I wasn’t sure when exactly that would be.

All I knew was that I didn’t want to get chewed on by some big, ugly wolf-wannabe.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:13 PM

Shuddering to myself, I ignored Boromir’s concerned sidelong glances and kept an eye out for the scouting guards who I knew were going to ride to the head of the column, and subsequently be the ones to alert us to the presence of the Wargs. When I caught sight of two men spurring their horses forward, I put my heels to Simbel and spurred him along after them leaving Boromir to shout after me in confusion.

I stopped my horse just on the rise of the hill, right beside Legolas, who was watching the riders thunder past him with a concerned look. “Something wrong?” I asked as I reined Simbel in. He was being fidgety, chomping at the bit and turning in small circles, and I had my already aching arms full trying to keep him still as he jigged on the spot. Legolas lifted a hand and whispered a few words in Elvish, and Simbel quieted almost immediately, though his tail swished quickly back and forth in agitation.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:15 PM

“If there isn’t now, then there will be,” the Elf admitted, his eyes scanning over the plains as he drew an arrow from his quiver. “Do not move from this spot, Samantha. I fear there may be-” He was cut off, however, by the shrill scream of a horse, and the subsequent cry of a man as he was slain. Simbel instantly began fidgeting, rearing slightly off the ground and snorting hotly.

“Stay here!” Legolas ordered as I worked furiously with the reins, trying to keep Simbel from bolting. I didn’t know if he wanted to go towards the battle or away from it, but from the way he was prancing, he didn’t seem happy to be held back either way.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:15 PM

“Yeah!” I replied, gritting my teeth with the effort of keeping Simbel from bolting. “Sure thing! Not like I have a choice!”

“Wargs!”

The shout came from right beside me, and startled me so bad, I nearly dropped the reins and allowed Simbel to dash off with me as his unlucky passenger. Aragorn had appeared just on the rise as Legolas dispatched the first Warg that had taken out the guards and yelled back that it was ‘A scout!’ or some such. “Damn it,” I cursed under my breath, managing to keep my horse from racing off towards the elf and the Wargs who had just appeared over the rise.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:16 PM

I felt my heart drop into the pit of my stomach when I saw how big they were, and how…scary they were. This was so not a battle I wanted to be a part of. I could barely keep my sword up, and with the added difficulty of keeping Simbel in check, I was sure I’d end up  being eaten before I was even able to draw my weapon.

Behind me, I could heard the Rohirrim scattering to get their riders to the head of the column, even as the Wargs were closing in and getting closer. My arms were shaking with the effort of holding my horse in check, even as Theoden, Aragorn and the rest of the soldiers came cresting over the rise of the hill, and Legolas started racing back towards us. Before I could turn my horse around and try and make it back to the safety of Eowyn’s company, Boromir appeared at my side, and made a grab for Simbel’s bridle. Unfortunately, Boromir’s own mare was amped up from the adrenaline of the idea of a coming battle, and she danced away nervously before he could grab the reins.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Samantha!” Boromir barked, his horse turning in a circle as he too struggled to control it. “Go back to the column! You do not belong out here!” Even as he spoke, he drew his sword, and over his shoulder, I could see the Wargs and their riders coming closer and closer. My blood ran cold as I realized I wasn’t going to get Simbel away from this anytime soon, and with the last of my strength, I managed to clumsily draw my blade from it’s sheath, holding it up in one shaky hand while I desperately tugged on Simbel’s reins with the other.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“I’m freakin’ trying to go back!” I snapped, even as Boromir turned to face the fast approaching enemy. “Damn it, Simbel! I don’t want to fight!” But apparently, my horse wasn’t listening, and wasn’t in the mood to do so anytime soon. With a shrill cry, he kicked off from the ground, completely ignoring my attempts to rein him in, and shot towards the battle. I gave a cry of my own as I zipped past Boromir, who looked startled, and very, very pale as he spurred his horse to follow after mine.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:18 PM

“I’m gonna die, I’m gonna die, I’m gonna die!” I caught a glimpse of a surprised looking Aragorn as my horse shot past him and charged into battle alongside the Rohirrim, but I didn’t have time to stop and explain things to him (not that I could stop if I wanted to anyway). The second I turned to face forward again, my eyes widened with the realization that I was very nearly straight on top of one of the Wargs and it’s riders. With whatever skill and luck I possessed, I managed to maneuver my horse just to the side of the Warg, barely missing the snapping jaws by only a few inches. I didn’t have time to breathe a sigh of relief either; the next instant, the rider had pivoted in his seat and sent his wicked looking sword swinging through the air towards me and my horse.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:19 PM

When I went to swing my sword to block, I realized I was holding it in the wrong hand, and I couldn’t move it fast enough to manage to keep his blade from hitting me. With a shriek, I waited for the impact, but it never came. Instead, I nearly lurched up and out of my seat as Simbel gave a mighty kick with his hind hooves, catching the Warg in the jaw and sending it stumbling to the side. It’s rider gave an almighty snarl of anger and frustration at having been thwarted in it’s attempt to slice me in half, and kicked it’s mount viciously to send the giant beast lunging towards us again.

This time, I was able to maneuver Simbel around so my sword arm was facing my attacker, and with a fervent prayer and a lot of sloppy, frantic swinging, I managed to block the blade that came at my face, and send it clattering, useless, to the ground. The Orc rider (who smelled worse than he looked, though that wasn’t saying much) screeched angrily, and lashed out with wicked looking, and quite unkempt claws, slashing at my face and arms. He caught my shoulder, ripping open the fabric of my tunic and leaving large, deep and very painful gashes in my upper arm. I nearly dropped my sword from the unexpected pain of it, but I gritted my teeth and managed to slice at him, drawing a shallow cut along his own arm in retaliation.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:22 PM

I most likely would have tried to do more than that if I could, but a spear chose that precise moment to embed itself through the Orc’s chest. With an unholy shriek of pain, the rider fell from his mount, and I glanced up to see Wulf astride his horse, pausing only long enough to shoot me a very frightened look, before he was off to dispatch another enemy.

I silently thanked him, and vowed later to give him a hug, if I could, before I realized that dispatching the rider did not mean the danger was over. The Warg was still quite alive, and now that it didn’t have a rider to direct it and control it, it was quite happy to turn and direct it’s lethal looking fangs at Simbel.

My horse, however, wasn’t having any of it.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:22 PM

I wondered briefly, at how many battles he’d seen and how many Wargs he’d fought, because he spun on his heel and lashed out viciously with his hind hooves, catching the creature in the jaw again and snapping it’s head to the side as it howled in pain. In retaliation, the Warg struck out with a front paw, slicing into Simbel’s flank and rending a terribly shrill scream from the horse beneath me. I felt my heart and my body lurch as Simbel nearly crumpled, whinnying in agony as I was suddenly displaced from my seat and sent tumbling to the ground.

I hit the dirt hard, the breath driven from my lungs, and I just barely managed to roll in time to avoid Simbel’s wildly flailing hooves and he tried to fend off his attacker in a fit of blind panic. Struggling to my feet, I hefted my sword and looked from my horse to the Warg, debating on whether or not I could actually manage to kill the thing. But when the creature nearly bit into Simbel’s neck and beheaded my beloved horse, I couldn’t stop myself from reacting.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:23 PM

Grunting, I surged forward, nearly tripping over a rock I hadn’t seen in my path, and swung the sword in as hard and as controlled of an arc as I could. The blade sliced into the Warg’s shoulder, eliciting a pained yelp from the giant animal. In return, it swung it’s massive, fanged head towards me, and I only had a moment of ‘Oh shit!’ before the creature slammed into me, sending me spinning backwards into the dirt and my sword clattering from my hands.

I had no air left in my lungs to scream as it bore down on me, it’s weight crushing me to the ground as it placed it’s paws on both of my shoulders and hovered over me. It was bleeding heavily from the wound on it’s shoulder, and I could vaguely hear a rattling, wheeze every time it took a breath. When it tried to open it’s jaws to take my head off, I realized that Simbel’s massive kick had managed to break it’s lower jaw, and the mandible hung limp and useless below it’s upper jaw. That didn’t mean it couldn’t kill me, of course, and in desperation, I clawed at it’s legs and tried to wriggle away.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The creature snarled, it’s foul breath washing over me in a way that, if my life hadn’t been in peril, would’ve made me gag and recoil. Even as it drew closer, I had the most fleeting feeling that, at this moment, my second chance at life would be over before it had barely begun. In the next second, however, I felt the weight of the beast suddenly lift off of me, and I blinked at the suddenly clear view of the sky before it was one more swallowed again by a looming, dark shape.

I struggled to sit up, my arm and shoulders throbbing and my back protesting angrily as I tried to move. I held a hand over my abdomen where the beast’s head had connected sharply with my sternum and ribs, and glanced up at the dark shape hovering over me.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

I was, to say the least, startled to see a bedraggled and wheezing Simbel struggling to remain upright as he stood in front of me, having kicked the beast far enough away to allow me room to get to my feet. My heart lurched into my throat as I realized Simbel’s legs were shaking mightily, and I managed to drag myself back up using his saddle. I briefly patted his heaving flanks, before I reached down to pick up my sword.

The Warg the two of us had been fighting was in the same, if not worse, condition than the two of us were. It looked as though it was on it’s last legs, and it could barely stand. I reckoned that last kick had probably broken a few ribs, and considering I could hear the wet, rattling sound of it’s breathing even from such a distance, I knew one of it’s lungs had been punctured.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:24 PM

I was silently grateful that we hadn’t been assailed by any of the other creatures or their riders, and we’d only had to deal with one. I was pretty sure that if we’d had any more to dispatch, we’d both be dead in a heartbeat.

The Warg gave a mighty lurch, and charged towards us. I felt Simbel stiffen beside me, and I braced myself against his saddle even as I searched desperately for my sword. I located it a few feet away, but before I could reach for it, the Warg stumbled once, twice and then tumbled inelegantly forward, landing in an ungainly heap at Simbel’s hooves. It twitched once, as though it was about to get up, but then remained unmoving.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext