A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Chapter 4: Swordplay

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:04 PM

The next morning, as we rolled up out blankets and prepared to get moving again, I decided to ask Boromir to teach me a bit of swordplay in between the time it took to get ready to move, and actually moving out.

“Of course,” he had agreed amiably, and had proceeded to draw his sword. “I shall determine your level of skill with a blade. Come at me.”

Blinking at his blunt phrasing, I drew my sword rather clumsily, nearly dropping it as it slid from it’s sheath, and hefted it into my arms. It was a good deal heavier than I imagined, and I knew that my muscles and my back would be screaming in protest after only a few minutes of swinging this thing around. “So just…run at you?” I asked, grasping the sword with both hands and trying to hold it steady without shaking.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: Chapter 4: Swordplay

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:05 PM

“Yes,” Boromir nodded, his body tensing as he prepared to react to my charge. A few of the Rohan warriors and refugees glanced at us curiously, and I was very much aware of the gazes of the guards, men whom had held swords since they were very small, watching our training. I thought I caught a glimpse of a familiar face, but in the next second, Boromir had instructed me to begin, and I forced my eyes back to his face.

“Okay then,” I muttered, deciding it would be best to just go for the gold and do it. I sprinted towards him, all while trying to keep my blade from clattering into the dirt, and swung the sword in a wide and very uncontrolled arc. I nearly missed him altogether, but the sword raced towards his legs, and at the last moment, when I was afraid it would actually hit him, Boromir easily blocked the blade and slid it aside without much effort.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:05 PM

Unfortunately, the momentum and the weight of my sword meant that when it was knocked aside and thrown to the ground, my grip was still tight around the hilt, and subsequently, I went with it. The air was promptly knocked out of me as I landed hard in the dirt. I managed to roll over, nudging my sword aside and sitting up to dust the dirt off me and catch my breath. I could hear muffled snickering from around us, and I saw Boromir’s face swimming in my field of vision, trying valiantly to hold back his laughter.

“That was a good first try, Samantha,” he managed without laughing, and I had to give him brownie points for at least trying to be serious.

“That was horrible,” I grouched, letting go of my sword and standing up to brush myself off. “I just face-planted. How about you teach me to actually use this thing instead of spending time in the dirt?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:06 PM

Boromir’s lips finally shifted into a wide smile, mirth dancing in his eyes. “Very well,” he agreed. “Pick up your sword, and we shall begin.”

The two of us practiced with the swords; or rather, Boromir showed me various fighting stances and moves and I tried and failed to imitate a majority of them. I ended up tripping over my own feet a couple of times, and nearly beheading Boromir a few others with the wild swings I still couldn’t quite manage to control. The sword was too heavy, even if it was smaller than the average sword, and my muscles were crying out in agony with each swing. But I was determined to at least learn something.

Eventually, Gimli and Legolas joined us, standing a few feet away in the ‘safety zone’ and managing not to laugh at each wild and poorly attempted swing of my sword.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:06 PM

“You must shift your weight to your back foot as you swing,” Boromir instructed, trying to show me the proper stance with his own sword. “It will carry your sword forward for you while keeping you grounded, and allow you to better control your swing. But you must remember to hold your arm level with your body. Do not let it drop; it is imperative to keep it level with your chest and stomach as you fight to be in the prime position to parry or thrust.”

Gritting my teeth, I managed to hold the sword in the area indicated, but had to do it with two hands instead of one. Boromir shook his head, and instructed me to drop one of my hands. “I can’t!” I protested, my arms shaking with the effort of keeping my sword up. “It’s too heavy, and my arms aren’t strong enough to hold it.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:07 PM

“The lass is right,” Gimli called out. “But she was good to hold her own for so long. Most would have thrown their blade down already if they had hit the ground as many times as she.”

“I don’t know whether to be insulted or flattered,” I muttered, finally lowering my sword and shoving it clumsily back into it’s sheath. “You two are no help at all.” I vaguely waved to the elf and the dwarf, shooting them a tired glare. “My arms aren’t going to work right for a week.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:07 PM

“Come now, milady,” Boromir said with good humor, sheathing his own sword and smiling widely. “You did well for your first time. I am very impressed at both your determination, and your ability to get up after falling so many times.”

“Ha ha,” I replied dryly, but I shot the man a smile to show I was only kidding. “Thanks, in any case, for teaching me a bit. We’ll try this again sometime soon, preferably when my arms have gotten their feeling back.” I rub ruefully at my shoulders, already anticipating the knots I’d have in my back and upper arms.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:08 PM

“The ache will subside in time, and your arms will become accustomed to the weight of your sword soon. Take heart; I am certain you will learn the art of swordplay soon enough. Now we must make haste to depart or I fear we shall be left behind.” He indicated the Rohirrim that was moving all around us, still casting our little gathering curious looks.

I realized that everyone had begun to move off, and quickly agreed, hurrying off to find Simbel and struggle into the saddle (Which I’d managed to get a bit better at) despite my aching arms. As I began to steer him back towards where Boromir, Gimli and Legolas had mounted their own horses and were waiting, a Rohan warrior rode up beside me on a dark bay horse, trotting along easily beside Simbel. I turned slightly, as if to ask what it was he wanted, when I was greeted by a familiar face.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:08 PM

“Wulf!” I cried, startled by his sudden appearance. I hadn’t seen him since the day Gandalf had ousted Saruman from Edoras and I had wondered, vaguely, where he’d gotten to. My mind had been otherwise occupied during my stay in Edoras, so I hadn’t exactly had time to think about him at all. But now that I saw him again, I was relatively happy to note that he looked fit, and more carefree than he had when I first met him.

“Yes, my lady, it is I,” he replied, smiling from beneath his helmet, which I still thought somewhat ridiculous. “I had wondered why you had not sought me out to say thank you.” He smirked widely when I looked confused, and elaborated. “I helped free your lord, did I not?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:09 PM

“You led an elf down to get him out of a cell, Wulf,” I replied dryly, though smiled behind the words. “I hardly think that counts as ‘freeing’ anyone. But thank you. Sorry about not looking for you to say thanks or anything, but I was a bit occupied.”

“I could see that,” he agreed, nodding his head in the direction of Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. Boromir was waiting for me to meet him on the horse, and he was shooting Wulf and I a very odd look. Legolas took one glance at the two of us, and promptly spurred his horse ahead to join Aragorn, wanting no part of it, despite Gimli’s protest that they should ‘wait for the others.’ “Your lord Boromir is teaching you to use a sword?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:09 PM

“Yes, he is indeed. I’ve never used one before, so it’s killer on my arms. I have a feeling it’ll be days before I get the feeling back.”

“Ah, it is ever so when one endeavors to use the blade. But you will learn well in no time, with the young lord of Gondor as your tutor; of this I am certain.” He nodded ahead, indicating Boromir with his eyes. “And I see he is waiting on you. Perhaps he does not like me monopolizing your time. I hope he does not get the wrong idea about me. I would not like if he were after my head for speaking with you.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:10 PM

I waved my hand, my eyes darting to Boromir and noting the odd look on his face. “Don’t worry; I’m sure he knows you’re just a friend. Speaking of…” I paused, and glanced briefly around, before reaching over and placing my hand on his shoulder. It was somewhat awkward, considering our horses were moving along at plodding paces, but I managed it.

“…be careful, okay? Look after yourself, and if anything happens on the way to Helm’s Deep…Just be, you know, be, uh, careful.” I couldn’t think of any other way to warn him or make sure he really was careful; I knew the Wargs would be ambushing the company at some point, but I had no idea as to when that would occur.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:10 PM

Wulf looked vaguely confused, but smiled tentatively anyways, and nodded. “And you as well, my lady. I would say ‘look after yourself’ as well, but I imagine your lord Boromir will have that well in hand. He will not allow harm to come to you.”

I blushed at his words, glancing quickly back at Boromir who was looming closer and closer. “Thank you, Wulf. I should join him, before he starts having a fit.” Wulf only laughed, motioning for me to go ahead as he steered his horse towards his king. I waved goodbye and quickly caught up with Boromir, who had steered his horse to ride alongside mine at a steady pace.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:11 PM

“Who was it you were speaking to? His face looks vaguely familiar,” he demanded, that strange look still on his face. I was a bit startled t the tone of his voice, and the fact that it brooked no arguments. He wasn’t actually getting the wrong idea about Wulf, was he?

“Only a guard from Edoras. He looked after Simbel for me, and then he helped me sneak out to see him. He kept me safe, and he’s very kind. His name is Wulf, if you must know.” I peered at him curiously, raising one eyebrow. “Why do you ask? Is there something you wanted to say?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/27/2013 9:12 PM

Boromir’s face darkened into a scowl, and he resolutely stared ahead at the tips of his horse’s ears. “No,” he grunted. “I have nothing to say on the matter. Just be careful around these so-called ‘warriors.’ If their king was taken over by Saruman, then there is no telling what evils lurk in the hearts of his soldiers.”

I thought about refuting that, and chastising him for his mistrust of the Rohirrim, but decided against it. It wasn’t my place to say anything, and if Boromir wanted to chide me and be annoyed over something so small, then let him. I didn’t want to make it worse by annoying him further. So instead of arguing with him, I just nodded and agreed, like any good woman might.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next