A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

A Whole New World [Private, Psi Five]

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/18/2013 2:23 PM

"Ugh..." groaned Livy, struggling to sit up. The last thing she remembered, she had been playing a video game online, with the voice chat off, of course. Boys could be such ungracious losers sometimes. However, as she tried to get up, she slowly realized that something was most decidedly off about her body. For one, she was now naked. At least in the not-wearing-clothes sense, as she was now covered in fur. She struggled to get up, and noted that her form was now quadrupedal, although her forearms still seemed slightly more flexible, as proved by the fact that she was able to rub them over her face quite easily.

Well then. She was a wolf. A wolf with black fur, and apparently green markings. A quick glance at her back noted that she had three tails, some weird knife-things on her back, and a red eye on her haunch. Okay, definitely not a normal wolf then.

[14]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
You're my crystal and clover
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot
What would you do if I stole you tonight? (Ahh ahh)
Why waste time? (Ahh ahh)

'Cause the world goes on without us
It doesn't matter what we do
All silhouettes with no regrets
When I'm melting into you
'Cause I belong in your arms
I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2597
Donate

Re: A Whole New World [Private, Psi Five]

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/18/2013 2:38 PM

Okay, she had established the basic facts about herself. Now to figure out where she was...she looked around her, and saw almost nothing but grass and rocks. There was a vague smudge in the distance that might have been a treeline.

Alright, she thought. She began to distance herself from the situation and lay out a plan, a common tactic for her when playing games. This space is pretty wide open. You are vulnerable to attack here, so your best bet is to move towards the treeline. Be cautious while doing so. However, do not go too slow. This will make you more obvious in the end.

With that, she crouched, as best as she could manage with these new limbs, and began to move towards the trees, trying to move at an average pace.

[15]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/18/2013 3:27 PM

However, as she made her way towards the trees, she began to hear voices. Strangely familiar voices. They were coming from the side of her, hidden behind a rather large rock. However, she noticed furry limbs and tails sticking out from beside it, most in varied colors, and looking similar to her own. She quickly changed direction, peeking around the rock. There were six other wolf-like creatures sitting around, talking to each other quite animatedly.

"I'm telling you, I don't know anything about where we are!" exclaimed the most mono-colored wolf. "This isn't any place on Earth, and we aren't any species on Earth either!" As he spoke, he tapped his forelimbs together, occasionally dipping his head down. The voice was clearly recognizable to her. Her distant cousin, Dennis. Even the glasses were the same as his. As well as that slightly nervous attitude.

"That's a shame," muttered another wolf, the one with gray stripes. He had a black band of some sort on one front leg, with a similarly colored box attached. He would prod at it occasionally, while tilting his head. Livy didn't recognize his voice. "But really, Cheater, it's fine. You don't have to know everything, you know. Just learn it as you go along." Livy's eyes narrowed at the rather insulting-sounding nickname, but Philip didn't seem to mind.

"Well...we've all proven that our psychic powers still work," began Philip. However, he didn't get any further, because that was when Livy fell out from behind the rock in shock.

"Um...hello," she said, straightening up again.

"LIvy???" asked Philip, eyes wide in shock. "You're here too?"

"Yeah. Now what was that about psychic powers?"

"You were eavesdropping?" asked the yellow-striped wolf. His voice was quite obvious. Definitely Martin, who she had played quite a few games against. He had proven himself a graceful loser, and much more coordinated on the screen than in real life. However, his eyes looked much more stern than they had before.

"I just arrived here, in this form," she pointed out. "Did the same thing happen to you?" He paused, then nodded, before looking off into the distance for a while.

"Well," he said at last. "I think we can trust you. I suppose it all started when I got sent to Edgeview Alternative School."

"You remember when I got sent to Edgeview for cheating?" interrupted Philip. "And everyone was so upset and said I had brought shame upon the family?" Livy nodded. She remembered that well. It was where he'd got the nickname in the first place.

"Well, it turns out that's just because I can read minds!" he exclaimed proudly. "And I couldn't tell the difference between my own thoughts and other peoples' thoughts!"

Well, that explained quite a bit.

[16, 1, 1, 1]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/18/2013 4:00 PM

"I was sent there for being too disruptive to the class due to my twitchiness," the brown-furred wolf broke in. That was definitely Willis, the joker. His jokes were amusing, but sometimes he could rely on them a bit too much, thought Livy. "And come to think of it, what was the state thinking, sending a slightly disruptive kid to a place with potential dangerous criminals? But hey, in the end it turned out I was just seeing things before they happened! Now that was great!"

"Flinch even got on TV!" added the orange-and-red wolf. That voice and enthusiasm was definitely Philip's. "On a comedy show! I didn't get to see it, but everyone else said it was really good!" Livy tilted her head. She hadn't been aware of that. Now she supposed she could see how he'd thought he might impress her with his jokes.

"Oh, I got sent there because everyone thought I was setting things on fire. I wasn't, of course, even though I carried a bunch of lighters around! I just really liked how the flame looked. And then it turned out that I was doing it with my mind!" As he spoke, the grass in front of him flared up. He looked down, gave an embarrassed yelp, and closed his eyes, appearing to concentrate. After that, the flames died down again.

"I was there for similar reasons," said the last wolf softly, the one with the curious rainbow spots beneath that blanket of blue-gray on his back. By process of elimination, he was probably Eddie. "After my art teacher yelled at me, I got pretty mad at her...and then they found the whole art room destroyed. Of course everyone thought it was my fault. I said I was innocent. No one believed me." He shuffled his paws, as if unsure of what to say next. "It turned out it was just my telekinetic powers getting out of control. Things got much better once I knew how to use them." As if to prove it, he stared at several twigs on the ground, which rose into the air, forming patterns and words. Livy gaped in shock.

[16, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/18/2013 4:09 PM

"I can hear the voices of lost objects," said the gray-striped wolf. He didn't volunteer any more information, but instead lay down, head on his paws.

"And I can...well, read peoples' deepest shames and prides," said Martin softly. He looked away from her, definitely embarrassed.

"Okay," Livy said, staring at the boys for a while. "You guys all had these super-awesome powers, and you never told me? Not even when you were staying at my house for weeks?" She turned her attention to Martin. "And why were you so suspicious of me anyways, Martin? This isn't like you at all!"

"It's...an even longer story than that of our powers," said Martin, still not looking at her. Everyone now looked uncomfortable, she realized. Eddie's sticks had clattered to the ground, and he was looking down, eyes darting back and forth nervously. The gray-striped wolf had lowered his head even more, and had his paws half-covering his face. Willis opened his mouth, then closed it again. Dennis reached up his paws and began to fiddle with his glasses, before taking them off and rubbing them vigorously against his chest fur. Even Philip grew more quiet, looking around as if waiting for someone else to speak.

[17, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/18/2013 4:14 PM

"It's alright then," she reassured them. "I don't need to hear it."

"Keeping it cooped up probably isn't better," muttered Dennis, still polishing his glasses. "Repression of traumatic experiences is a large cause of further emotional pain down the road. We could pretend to be fine immediately after it happened, but speaking about it can be therapeutic."

For some reason, everyone turned to Eddie. He sighed.

"Fine then," he said. "It all began when I stole from a bank. I wanted to buy this art set, but my dad wouldn't give me the money, and he even took away my bank card. And the people at the bank said they couldn't do anything about it. So...well, it just so happened that the vault door was open just a crack, and you could see into it if you looked at the glass door at just the right angle. So...well, my powers work as long as I can see whatever I'm trying to manipulate. It was really easy to get one stack of bills out." He took a deep breath, then paused.

"Could...could one of you guys continue? I mean, you know what happened already..."

[18, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/18/2013 5:59 PM

"We only heard about it secondhand," continued Martin, nodding at Eddie. "But...the news came out that Trash had died in a car crash. According to the newspaper, he'd been taking the car for a joyride. What really happened...he'd been approached by some people who specialized in paranormal research. And they didn't take no for an answer." He took several deep breaths before continuing. "Lucky, this concerns you too." The gray-striped wolf groaned slightly, but lifted his head.

"Like everyone else, I was pretty upset when I heard about Trash. But unlike them, I ended up having troubles of my own. My power...can't be turned off. And the voices keep coming, if I don't pick up whatever is calling..." His voice trailed off again. Dennis picked up.

"He got sent to this new school building, and there was a bunch of old toys embedded in the concrete. And he ended up...kind of flipping out. So he got medicated and sent to the hospital."

Eddie spoke up again. "But then I escaped from the lab they were keeping me at. It was somewhere in Philly. It was all very confusing. I'd been heavily drugged for a long time, and I only managed to escape that day because someone had replaced my medication with water."

Philip looked sheepish. "I had no idea what was going on with everyone else...but I did get the feeling that I should head to Philladelphia. They had an accordion camp there." Livy nodded. She remembered that accordion.

"Are you still playing?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah! I got it fixed at the camp, too!" he said, with an agreeable grin. "It didn't come here with me, though. So I'll have to buy a new one somewhere."

"How about the bagpipes?"

"Hey, you can talk about that later. We're not done with the story," said Lucky.

[19, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/19/2013 9:09 PM

"Anyways, you don't need to know the details. Although I guess you know what happened to Cheater. Just know that we all ended up in Philly, even Lucky. He just got this feeling that he had to go there, and apparently the nurses thought it would help."

"And technically, it did. Though we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves." Lucky gestured at Eddie.

"Yeah...I managed to hop a train and make my way back home. That was when I learned about my faked death." Eddie's voice was decidedly shaky at this point. "I...I could barely believe it. But then I decided that I couldn't stay there. I had to go back. I had to find answers." Livy boggled again. Sure, this sounded a lot like the plot from a bunch of videogames, but to actually have it happen to you...? Those boys she had seen were much braver than you'd think at first glance...

"Wait a minute!" she said. "Those encrypted files...they were from that lab, weren't they?" There was a pause, then everyone but Lucky nodded.

[20, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/19/2013 9:17 PM

"You're right. It is a long story," she said. There was another pause. "And...did that skirt you borrowed have something to do with this as well?"

"Yeah, that's way back," said Philip, a bit too quickly. "Let's continue from where you just interrupted."

"Pot calling the kettle black," commented Dennis. He then yelped as the grass beneath his paws flared up, and quickly backed off until it simmered down again. Philip looked innocent.

"So...I broke into the lab, and I managed to get some of their files. But then Bowdler arrived." Seeing her confused expression, he quickly added, "Oh, he's the guy who kidnapped me. Anyways, it turned out that he had been working on a disruptor, which would cancel out my psychic powers. Luckily, I managed to spot it and knock it out of range before he shot me. So...I fled pretty quickly, and then bought myself a disguise. And I guess Martin can chime in here."

"Well, I had passed by Trash's house, and noticed this guy staking it out. And he was definitely bad news-I won't tell you what I saw in his head, but it was messed up. So that's partly why I was on guard when I made it to Philly and caught someone whose pride was being able to move things with his mind. And then I saw him-his disguise was basically to go back to his unconfident walk from Edgeview."

"Oh come on. You'd never have seen through it without your powers."

[21, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/19/2013 9:25 PM

"Anyways, we managed to catch up to each other, and I also told Trash that I'd learned Cheater was in hospital. He'd been about to leave for New York, but he agreed to come and check out the situation with me. He seemed pretty fine, though. Still spouting weird trivia and all that."

"It was relevant to the situation!" objected Dennis. Martin just shrugged, a weird look on a wolf. "Hey, we like you, weird trivia and all." Dennis sat back, still looked muffed.

"He also told us that he'd seen Lucky there," added Eddie. "And we decided the best course was to find a hotel to hole up for a while sometimes. Unfortunately, we only had cash."

"Fortunately, Trash is an art genius. Apparently that's the magic code to get into fancy high-rise hotels."

"Why, naturally, my good sir," said Eddie, taking on a fake posh accent for a moment before descending into a chuckle. "Anyways, here's where's Flinch comes into the story at last."

"Finally!" exclaimed Willis.

[22, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/19/2013 9:29 PM

"So," he said. "Torchie already mentioned my being on TV, didn't he? I managed to make a good impression at one of my comedy gigs, and then I decided to ask if they had any shows in Philly for some reason. And they gave me a limo and a free room at a hotel and everything. And then it turned out that was the hotel Martin and Trash were staying at." He shook his head. "It was a surprise seeing Martin in the lobby, but it was even more of a surprise to learn that Trash was alive. Man, that was one of the best days of my life."

"You made fun of my choice of disguise," said Eddie, but there was a clearly affectionate tone in those words.

"It demanded so."

"Well...apparently Martin figured out that Torchie was here as well, somehow," continued Eddie.

"It fit the pattern. And he was there too! So I called a cab and got him to come over to our hotel."

"It was a great room," added Torchie. "I was so excited, I accidentally set a newspaper on fire and burned my hand. So they sent me to get ice."

"Well, and what happened next wasn't as wonderful," admitted Eddie.

[23, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/19/2013 9:33 PM

"Yeah...someone knocked at our door, and like an idiot, I opened it. Then we got gassed," said Martin. His voice was somewhat clipped. "And we woke up in a cell."

"Meanwhile, I noticed some big guys walking out of the room with a laundry cart when I came back with the ice!" said Torchie. "And I got kind of suspicious, so I walked by super-casually and doubled back! And then I found the room was empty."

"So he came to get me," continued Dennis. "His story was confusing, but I got the general gist. And I knew where to find them as well."

"You see," said Eddie, "Bowdler came to interrogate us. And I said something dumb that tipped him off to the rest of us potentially having psychic powers. And then Martin gave him some fake info about Cheater being able to see the future, so Bowdler would go seek him out."

"And I told him I could only see how TV shows could end!" said Dennis. "And I managed to read the address from his mind when I asked him where Martin was! And I also pretended to be so weak from getting beaten up that I could barely speak, so he'd come closer and make it easier to read his mind!"

"Yeah, and then you got mad at me," said Martin.

"It was a complete turnaround from how you normally act! I expected you to do your super-stoic act on him!"

[24, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/20/2013 2:49 PM

"Well, it worked. And technically, you still haven't apologized for doubting me, you know."

"That's cause things got a little hectic."

"Wait, wait. We forgot to mention Thurston," said Willis, raising a paw in the classic "stop" gesture.

"Oh, right. He's pretty important. He was in a cell next to us. And he turned out to be someone who was working on the project, but objected to their ethics." Eddie looked a bit downtrodden. "Too bad he couldn't do anything but replace my medicine with water before he got caught. Also we found out that apparently they'd made a new disruptor. And it was small enough to...well..." He finally extended one foreleg, revealing a vivid scar down the inside of it. The implications were obvious.

"I tried to cauterize it..." muttered Philip. "I didn't do good enough."

"You did fine," replied Eddie. "With the situation and all that."

"What situation?" asked Livy. "Couldn't you have gotten to a hospital or something before taking it out?"

"Oh right. We said things got hectic, didn't we?" said Eddie. "Well, Torchie got into the lab by burning up the door-"

"It was awesome!" added Dennis.

"-but then he set off the alarm. And this guy came to check it out."

[25, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/20/2013 2:54 PM

"He was the guy who'd been stalking Trash's house," added Martin. "And yeah, I did call the cops on him. It didn't work at all. He had a gun and everything."

"He was going to stuff us all in the cell," continued Dennis. "He gave me the key and told me to unlock the door, but then they managed to signal that they wanted me to give it to them so they could use the sharp edge to...you know." He waved a paw vaguely, his expression light-hearted but obviously a bit disturbed.

"And then while he distracted the guy with his kung fu skills-"

"You don't take kung fu lessons, Dennis."

"He didn't know that!"

Philip looked offended. "Hey, what I did was important! I rammed into him with my accordion!"

"That's how you broke it?"

"Yeah."

[26, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 10/20/2013 2:59 PM

"We finally got the disruptor out," said Martin. "So I ran off with it, to get it out of range. I didn't smash it, because...well...we'd learned what happened to Lucky. I figured it could help him, although of course I didn't have time to explain that."

"And then..." said Eddie. "The guy was about to shoot Torchie. So I spun the gun around so it pointed at him instead...I thought it was just a dart gun. It wasn't."

"He made me cauterize him too," said Philip.

"I was not about to become a murderer," muttered Eddie. "Anyways, we stuffed him into the cell instead, and then we learned that Bowdler had made a video of our psychic powers."

"So we made another video!" said Martin. "But we made it so that it looked like the powers were actually faked. And then we headed off to the hospital." He paused. "Oh, and Torchie stole something from the lab."

"It belonged to the bad guys..." said Philip. "I figured it'd be fine..."

[27, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items