A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Wombear Hunting [Family Time Continued]

Postby Shaetani » 09/04/2007 9:11 PM

http://evelonpets.eamped.com/topic1751.html

(A Continuation of that thread, others can join, though I'd prefer no more than 2 other people.)

Adirondack swiftly bound after his brother, aiming a light swat at the back of his legs before he caught up to him and was moving along side of him, his own nose testing the air as he scanned the trees and the grasses, his voice a low whisper.  "Do you really want to go looking for her, or would you rather just explore for a bit first? I bet theres all kinds of interesting creatures hiding about in these trees." He grinned at him, tongue lolling as for a moment he looked more like an excited pup than a growing adolescant Lucain.

Dusk grinned and laid down next to Madelk, aiming a quick lick at his nose. "Take a break dear, you deserve it, and stars knows the boys won't let us take a break on our own." It was true Madelk had been busy training their firstborn, but Adir was just full of mischief and it was all she could do to keep him out of making innocent blunders that would wreck havoc about the farm. Frankly, it was nice to have a few moments of quiet rest, rather than frantically racing about. Despite that, she was proud of them all. They were growing into fine young males, and she nuzzled her head on Madelks shoulder a moment, relaxing.
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 27
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 09/09/2007 10:29 PM

Etharden let out a threatening growl as he felt Adirodack swat at him. Though it was threatening, he knew his brother would tell that it was still in its playful way. A single one of his ears twitched as he listened to his brother. He paced slowed down even more, just for the sake of conversation and consideration. "Humm..." He began to recall all of the random information that had been stored up. "Vast Plains is a popular home to Wombears. They would be some interesting creatures to encounter. Sounds like a good idea." Having such a good sense of smell, he knew of the mass of crisscrossing scents. Surely, some of the mix belonged to those little creatures.

Madelk didn't seem to mind as Dusk nuzzled into him. His muscles were relaxed, so it must have been pretty comfortable to her. "You should rest up as well. Raising children is no simple task." No matter what one did in order to raise children, so long as they didn't ignore them, it was always a draining process. The male Lucain knew this well. Strangely, he rested his head on his paws, his tails practically dead other then the times that their tips would flick as a habit when he was lost in thinking. Dusk referring to him as 'dear' had him mulling over things. If she was gaining any feelings toward him, that wouldn't be a good thing. He knew well that he was only alive because he was to work. He was born to fight and serve. He was serious about training and everything. Very little else concerned him. He didn't know how to love someone. And, yet, he didn't push Dusk away. If she faltered into liking him, it would only be her own fault...Loving, if that was what was in the back of her mind, was something he just didn't see himself able to do.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2919
Donate

Postby Shaetani » 09/10/2007 12:51 AM

Adirondack smirked at the growl, then grinned as his brother agreed with him. "So... We know they could be around here somewhere, but neither of us knows what their smell is like... I think looking along the edge of where the forest meets the meadows might be a good idea... how big are they, anyways?" It would be slightly embaressing to come across one only to find they were too big to do much of anything with. He had shifted into his stealthy stalking mode, his steps silent and his center of gravity low to the ground as he started creeping through the tall grasses, his nost twitching.

Dusk smiled, and relaxed a bit more. If she was any more relaxed than this she'd fall asleep. "Indeed its not." her voice was low and smooth. The strange thing about love is, it has to be free. It would be a contradiction if she said she loved him but he couldn't go do what he needed to. As for what she did really feel, a deep friendship, yes. Admiration? Respect? Yes. Love? .... She wasn't sure. Would she miss him if he had to leave? Yes. Would she try to stop him? Definately not. "So, any new things with you or the prince or his parents that you feel like talking about?" She wanted to be there for him, as a friend if nothing else, and yet she knew so much of him was tied up with his duty, that it was all part of him. If she had asked about just him, instead of him and his job, she probably wouldn't have gotten much of a response.
Image - Image
Scribble Scrabble on the wall, who is the meanest of them all?
Riff Raff and Bark Gruff, I'm not scared of your huffing bluff.
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 09/13/2007 8:57 PM

Ethar nodded his head slowly, edging into a stalking mode. His body was relatively low to the ground, and each of his carefully calculated steps were soundless now. He was letting all the scents wash into his nose, trying to pick out which of the scents he did know. He could pick out some, such as Fellox, Kuhna, Garudor, Slydra and those scents that were similar to those he lived around. "I'd say the edge is our best bet." He said in an undercurrent of a voice. Lower then human ears could hear, though Lucain ears would pick it up just fine. "If I recall correctly from Miss Faire's teachings, they are only two feet tall or less." The brothers could act like horses for Wombears.

The Warrior male let his own head rest down on his paws. He was relaxed, but ever alert. Nothing escaped his ears or other senses. It took him a few moments to respond to her question, as he had to think about it momentarily before summing it up. "Little has happened. As usual, the prince is reminding me of my discharge from him. Quite frankly, it's getting old. I know I don't have to answer to him, and little do I. Everyone seems to think I act as I do because of my binding to the royals, but I have no urge to return to them any longer." Truthfully, he'd given that one up long ago. It was unusual, but he was free to do as he wished. Even if what he wished was to train in various ways and take to exploring less welcoming land. It was something he enjoyed. He liked keeping sharp as he was. It was who he was. "I, myself, have taken interest in the many areas of this world. Traveling time has obviously been delayed due to the children, though I rather enjoyed taking them out with me from time to time. I may not be in my world any longer, but it seems this one has somethings of interest to offer."

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Shaetani » 09/14/2007 9:33 AM

Act like horses? That might just actually be fun! Adirondack smiled and continued to silently sniff around. He didn't smell the Slydra, as they didn't have any at their farm when they'd left, but he smelt the Garudor, the Fellox, and the faint scent of some passing Matches. He continued to look and smell, shifting away from his brother slightly so they could cover a wider area of exploring. He saw a glimmer of color, and carefully stalked towards it, only to chuckle. It was just a Magistrey feather. It was times like these when he wished he had a pouch or something to help carry stuff around in...he would have liked to collect it and take it home. Sighing, he glanced at his brother, wondering he had noticed Adir's momentary excitement.

Dusk was comfortable, and gave his answer her full attention as he had clearly thought a moment before starting to respond, her voice gentle. "I do not think you act because of your binding...I think you act upon your personal honor code, and if that involves something to do with the royals, then it does." She contemplated what he had said a moment more about the prince. He took an interest in the various lands of this world, and it had some things of interest...no some ones? She tilted her head, looking thoughtful. "I have only explored a few of the lands, if you would like a friend to travel with, I know I would feel safe enough with you to chance exploring dangerous areas...Madelk, I'm going to tell you something in confidence, some of these new creatures my trainers are returning with scare me. Just yesterday, Taridan returned with a giant squid type creature..." she shivered slightly, thinking of the vacant emotionless look in its eyes. It had followed orders given to it, but part of her felt like there was no soul staring back at her when she looked at its eyes...It was creepy.
Image - Image
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 09/14/2007 10:03 AM

While the two began to split up, the green pelted brother began to imagine what'd he'd thought up. He could just recall Faire, an intellectual Kuhna back home, showing him pictures. As a pup, he grew up spending a little time with just about everyone from the caverns. He needed things to do when Madelk had to go out, which he didn't mind his father doing. Because of Madelk's choice to leave once in awhile, he was able to walk on his four feet and learn things from everyone. It was, perhaps, a strange way to raise a child. But he could remember times when he'd woke up with nightmares. Good ol' protective dad was there.
He shook his head, pushing old memories aside when he just noticed his brother. He was glancing his direction often, to see if he'd found something or not. He looked over at hi with curiosity, stopping himself from bounding over to see what had sparked his interest.

In return, the male also listened with his respectful attention given up to the female. His ears flicked a time or two when she'd spoken of his personal honor and such. Yes, it was how he was. He kept himself in such a way, though any real bindings had been demolished. He was still going to be friends with the group of others that share the same birthplace. When Dusk continued, he had to turn his head to directly look at her. Something about knowing that, knowing that she wouldn't mind traveling, made him sort of happy. Being alone was good and all but, sometimes, some adventures were only abled with company. And, right now, he'd shared a lot of himself with her. He'd spoken of his past and trusted her with it. When she shivered, he lifted his head up to lick the top of her's comfortingly. "If you'd like to travel with me at any time, feel free to call or just turn up. It would be rather...comforting, to have company at times. As for my home, I believe we may have found one of those such creatures inhabiting the very bottom of our lake. I have yet to personally see it. It has drove our own water resident away from the lake as well as another Lucain who spends most of her days at the lake." Naraqua adored the water, and many considered the idea that she had some mild control over it.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Shaetani » 09/24/2007 9:49 AM

Adir made up his mind and picked up the feather, craning his head around to try and stick it quill side down into the fur along his shoulder and neck ridges. His fur was fluffy and thick there, and hopefully it would stay. Never mind the fact that he probably looked weird with a feather sticking out. Anyways.... Yeah, he could relate with what his brother was thinking about. After all, Mum had to help with feeding the whole farm, so when he was to young to go on those hunting expaditions with her, he got to follow the other Lucain around. He was partial to Watermark, as she just seemed so laid back. He stuck his nose back to the ground, thinking if they hadn't found the scent of one by now they were probably all gone, either snatched up by others or maybe they migrated... who knows.

As Madelk sort of agreed to her traveling with him, she smiled at him, feeling happy. Somehow, she felt they might just end up being best of friends, instead of lifemates, but that was okay. She'd rather have a best friend that she could talk to about anything than a lifemate that tried to smother her, though if he did lean in that direction... she didn't think he'd be the smothering sort. Anyways, back to the Squid. "I hope the watery resident it drove away has found a new suitable home? I wonder if the Lucain you mentioned has seen it. It might be interesting to compare them..."

Pretara had managed to wiggle carry, or otherwise shift most of the eggs back towards where they had all been, and it was with one egg in her mouth and two being pushed by her paws that she slowly made her way closer to them. Once she was within speaking distance, she set the egg in her mouth down and grinned. "I Figured you could use some help gathering lunch, Theres Berries over that way, and your sons are in that direction, hunting down just about nothing as far as I can tell." She had the thought they might be looking for her, but she was pretty sure she had given them the slip, not realizing they had become distracted by thoughts of Wombears.
Image - Image
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 09/25/2007 3:59 PM

The green one out of the two brothers looked rather curious as to the other's actions, storing the feather for later by poking it into his fur. Now it did look rather amusing, a Lucain with a feather sticking out, but he could easily see why Adir had done such a thing. "Very nice, brother." He complimented with a smile, though seeming rather friendly, not making fun of him. He turned his nose to many places, only to find no interesting scent. As far as he could tell, nothing out of the ordinary left a scent trail across the ground nor did it drift through the air. "It seems empty." He reported with a sigh. Too bad. He was looking forward to playing with a Wombear.

Madelk's tails swayed slightly thanks to being on the receiving end of Dusk's smile. He didn't know what was going to happen in the end, but he was glad that he'd found someone in this new land that he'd actually like spending time with. Since they'd met and came up with these arrangements to meet, he began to feel less alone and out of place here. Surely, this land was going to become his permanent home. "Yes, Tyvek, that being his name, is doing alright. As is Naraqua, the Lucain. I believe they were trying their luck at befriending the creature, or at least establishing a deal with it, when I left." For a fleeting moment, he wondered how that was going.

He didn't have too long to consider the subject, however, as he lifted his said to see the feline creature that had came with them here. "Ah, greetings and I thank you." He nudged Dusk gently with his muzzle to tell her that he was standing up. It wouldn't have been very nice just to abruptly move with her still leaning against him. Once he was free, he stood and shook out his pelt, moving a few yards away and took to letting out a deep howl across the plains. It was addressed to his two sons, reporting that Pretara was back with food, as well as suggesting the hunting of berries, if they'd like to do so before coming back.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Shaetani » 09/30/2007 3:18 AM

Aridondack smiled at his brother, then with his report about it seeming empty he sighed and made his way over to stand next to his brother. "I suppose we should go find Pretara then..." Funny, the Taigra's scent had faded almost to the point of not even being there. Dusk felt Madelks nudge and shifted her weight to the side so she was no longer leaning on him, then after he stood she did as well, aiming a nudge of thanks to Pretara. Adir heard their fathers howl, and with his ears perking he glanced at his brother. "Well brother, shall we return with a bounty of food for feasting on? I think I might smell pears in that direction..." Without waiting for an answer, he bounded off towards the scent, trusting in his brother to go gather the berries. Pretara grinned at the two and then sighed. "Its a pity theres no way to make a fire, we could have some lovely fruit omlettes... still, raw egg isn't so bad, just sort of slimy." Then she stretched out to lay in the sun, relaxing for a little bit.
Image - Image
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 10/15/2007 8:36 PM

It didn't take too long for Etharden to scamper off like his brother did, searching for berries. It was a good thing that he was so civilized. Ethar chose not to hunt like many other 'predator' creatures did. Thankfully, it didn't take him too long to sniff down his non-moving prey. The small fruit was bountiful as one came closer to the edge of the plains.

As for Madelk, he sat back down once his sons had been called. "You know, it's not at all very hard to make-" He was responding to Pretara's comment about the fire. Raw food, at least eggs, wasn't his style. But what had went wrong. There was a little voice in his invading his head, disrupting his thoughts and snatching up his attention. No, it wasn't his own conscience but an actual invader. He was hearing 'the messenger' of his human companion, a Morloth with telepathic abilities. Unlike many of the others of the house, this Lucain didn't carry about a cell phone. How strange would that be?

After receiving the message, he shook his head. No, no he'd regret that. Something had to be done though. "Dusk, Era Dusks Delight..." He moved so that he was looking directly at her now, speaking with respect as a determination came over him, yet also some sorrow hidden in an undertone. His muscles tightened up. "Please accept my deepest apologies, but this time is going to have to come to a close, as much as I regret saying such a thing to you. I would wish to have a partner to travel with, as you offered. However, I fear that the time for any of that will have to come later. There is word of war..." He explained at the last sentence, which meant that he was going to be involved. He was ready to risk his life, as he always once did. After spending time with this female, though, he could see things far more differently. If he didn't see her for awhile, he felt that he'd be bothered by such a thing. He wanted her consent, her okay. Maybe...even a promise to see each other again, so long as she wanted to.

26, 11

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Shaetani » 10/15/2007 9:38 PM

Dusk tilted her head as he stopped mid sentance, sensing something was up... It was at this point that she had her own messenger, although her communications were always recieved as an emotion, not particular words. Right now, she felt a need to go home, a need to gather what she could along the way, and a sense of dread and urgency thrown in. War. Madelks words explained much, and Dusk leaned forwards, just enough to touch nosetips with him. "I understand, Proeliator Famulus Madelk..." Then she remembered something she had seen in one of those late night movies Tani liked to watch, and quickly shifted it a bit, saying. "Come back with your shield, or on it..." She wasn't sure if he would get what she was saying, but before she could try and explain Adirondack came back.

Adirondack had managed to make it back in time to hear his fathers words and after carefully setting the pears down he turned to tackle Pretara. "You here that Pret? War!" He'd get a chance to fight, maybe earn some battle scars and find a lovely nurse to heal him back to health... Pretara turned and swatted surprisingly powerful paw at his face, her back arching and fur bristling. "You pup! War's not something to be excited about! It means DEATH, blood and maiming and you'll probably be needed at home for protection." Feeling bad about smacking him, she rubbed up against his leg, glancing at the eggs once. So much for lunch. "I'm going to head home, I'll tell them you're on your way dusk." With that, she turned and lept away, making her way back to the farm.
Image - Image
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 10/15/2007 9:55 PM

"Heh...Warrior Servant, how a appropriate." As Madelk spoke this quietly, he was still able to smile slightly at how ironic such a thing was. Born a fighter, raised a fighter, always a fighter. His duty was always important to him. "Oh, I'll come back, don't you fret. Until then, though, you all had better take care of yourself. For you see, I do hope to see you again." He managed to get in, saying this to his sons and even Pretara as well, before she left.

The son which had lived with him had came back with a good bushel of berries, which he dropped when he had overheard everything, taken by silence. "Father, you mean...?" Which was answered with a confirming nod. "Yes." Madelk responded. "I'll be leaving for awhile, as will Uncle Zelos, the prince. He and I already intended to join together if it dared to occur." He gave Zelosis both names so all could understand. His life was still with the prince, but only by his own choice. He looked out for himself and everyone else he cared for because he wanted to. "Adirondack, whatever you end up choosing now, as your father, I do wish you the best of luck and that you'll be careful." He knew for sure that Ethar wasn't going, but no idea of Adir was or not.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Shaetani » 10/18/2007 8:24 AM

Indeed Dusk could hear the irony of it as she spoke, but at that moment she had felt the need to use his full name, to remind if not him, then perhaps herself that this was something he needed to do, something that he had been doing for quite some time, in fact his whole life. He would be okay. He had to be. As he spoke of taking care of herself, Dusk smiled and snuggled her muzzle into his shoulder a moment, her voice amused. "Ahh, but that's one of the things I'm best at." Then their sons were back, and pretara scolded Adirondack so she didn't have to. Watching the Taigra race off, Dusk turned to her sons. They had brought back some fruits, and moving forwards, she found flat rock and knowing madelk would need to be on his way, she quickly took some of the pears and quickly removed the berries from their stems and mushed them on the rock, adding a pinch of some spices she always carried with her in a small pouch around her neck, speaking as she did so. "I know you need to return soon, Madelk, but at least eat first...you can't fight on an empty stomach." She quickly dug out a small patch of grass, clearing a circle so the fire wouldn't spread and using the grass as fuel for the fire, She set up some sticks to make a sort of rack that she could place the eggs on, then glanced at Adirondack. He sighed, then blushed slightly. This was something he hadn't thought his mother knew about...concentrating, he got a small spark to light up within the grass, and soon a fire was going, the eggs fire roasting. Adirondack sighed and sat down. "How did you know I'd been practicing that with Gossamer?" Dusk just smiled, and as the eggs were almost done, she added the pears as well, not enough to char them, just enough to make them nice and warm and give them a hint of smoke. "Parents have their ways..." She smirked, then tapped the eggs once. Everything was done. She moved the pears to the flat rock, dividing them into four equal piles and then taking the spiced berry mush and putting that on top of the pears. The grass was almost all burnt up as it burned hot and fast, and she carefully removed the eggs, shelling them with a crack against the rock and then adding them to each pile. "Lunch is ready." And she grinned. It was definitely an impromptu meal, but she hoped it was satisfying. This was what she did, this was what she loved...Especially when it turned out good. Adirondack grinned and moved over, taking a seat and waiting for his father and brother to come sit as well, despite the fact that his mouth had started to water.
Image - Image
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 10/18/2007 8:10 PM

The warrior Lucain had a grin play across his maw just then, to the female's comment. She'd better- was one of the things he was likely to be thinking even if he didn't speak it aloud. If anything happened to her or any of his family while he was absent, he'd surely blame himself for it. He glanced at Ethar before nodding his agreement. "I'll stay for a little longer." Both he and the other son watched things play out in interest. They watched as Dusk or Mother, moved about to prepare the food. What got the eldest one's attention was that Adirondack used magic. It was simple magic, but it was just that. Ethar was bemused by his mother's comment. Yes, parents knew plenty of things. He wasn't surprised by the magic his brother used, but very slightly shamed. One brother has physical power and now his other held magical skills. It seemed like he was the only one of their children who didn't have anything in those matters. Oh well....

The two green Lucain moved into their places, Ethar between his brother and father. The younger was busy in thought, so he nibbled his food. Madelk went right happily. The food was deliciouses, even for something just made from the collected food. In fact, maybe that's what made it so much better. "This is absolutely wonderful." He complimented near his quick end, honestly smiling. Best to enjoy this short time left. He was about to go as it was...

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Shaetani » 10/19/2007 10:00 PM

Adirondack actually felt slightly embaressed about the whole thing, and while his mother cooked he moved to stand next to Ethar, feeling more comfortable with his brother than next to the fire where he would be in his mothers way, his voice low. "You know Ethar, I don't think we've ever been to the large cities... We should go sometime." Yes, their brother had physical skills, and sure, Adirondack could create tiny little sparks, but somehow he just had this gut feeling that Ethar would find more about himself in a city, where things were new, than from doing the same old thing.  

Dusk smiled and blushed slightly at Madelks words, pleased she could give him a nourishing meal before he went off to war. All too soon, however, the meal was over, and she stood and stretched, turning to Madelk with a small smile. "Well Madelk, I've delayed you long enough... Ethar, Adir, you two can linger here if you want, but I'm going to head home." The worry wouldn't be has hard to tolerate if she kept busy, and she did not want to cause Madelk to be late, and so she did something that was actually quite hard. She gave a lick to her sons and mate, and then turned and started walking home with a quiet dignity about her.
Image - Image
Shaetani
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Next