A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Re: What Are We Here For? [Quest][Self]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 9:51 AM

Bella returned to the camp and began to put her meagre belongings away. The cook pot was a shared responsibility; it would be Melline's turn to clean it, together with her things.

Bella sat back down on the log and began idly carving a stick with her dagger. The dagger was sharpened almost daily, and she took great pride in seeing such a fine shave produced by her handiwork. If the dagger could cut and shave wood, she reasoned, it could also cut and shave finer things.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 11:02 AM

Melline took her time finishing her stew. Bella's cooking was always hearty, and Melline preferred to eat slowly, otherwise she found herself bloated and slowed. An assassin, after all, must be lithe and quick-moving, but the food was just so tasty she could never resist.

She pretended not to look when Bella returned, but she kept an eye on her. They were an odd pair, always bickering and squaring off, but they got the job done well.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 11:16 AM

Merspsichore let out a little chirrup of happiness, and wagged her tail. She had just found a large and bloated maggot inside the leg bone she was chewing on. She loved these kinds of little surprises; the maggots were always juicier when they were bloated.

As she licked the maggot juices from her lips, a scent trailed across her nostrils, and she sniffed the air. Growling, she abandoned the leg of the carcass and wandered over to where the others were sat.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 12:24 PM

Bella noticed Merpsichore growling and sniffing the air, and she frowned. What could she have been smelling, that even Melline hadn't picked up on, she wondered. Merpsichore wouldn't react this way over nothing, and so Bella got to her feet, placing her hand on the top of Merpsichore's head as she did so in a kind of caress.

She noticed the inquisitive look that Melline was sending her way, and shook her head. "I'm going for a walk", she said casually, and turned to leave the camp.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 12:26 PM

Melline was a little ruffled, until she noticed Merpsichore sniffing the air and growling. Suddenly, Bella's casual tone and peculiar behaviour made sense, and she sat down to wait. She did not need to wait long, before Bella shifted out of the shadows beside her.

"We seem to have a rat following us" hissed Bella, into her ear. "The fool seems to have mistakenly gone upwind, assuming Merpsichore wouldn't smell him over the stench of the yingshee.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 12:28 PM

Merpsichore came to sit beside Melline, careful not to seem to obvious, but still tasting the air. She understood there was something there that shouldn't be, and she didn't like it, but it did not quite smell like a threat. She was puzzled, and hoped that the others would be able to tell her what to do about it.

Bella stroked her head again, and she chirruped quietly. She was not afraid, but she enjoyed the contact from her teammates.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 12:31 PM

Bella continued to hiss instructions into Melline's ear, planning their flanking maneuvers. As she stood back, they nodded to each other, and Bella shifted into the shadows once again.

In shadowform, she could not be seen, heard or damaged, but she could slip from shadow to shadow. Sometimes, if her target cast a big enough shadow, she could appear behind them, but this was not going to be one of those cases. She was simply out to determine it's position, before giving Melline the go-ahead to strike.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 12:34 PM

Melline waited patiently, tensed for her instructions. Bella had indicated that she should stay put until she gave the signal, and though Melline was no stranger to waiting - she was an assassin, after all - she always disliked it. The corners of her mouth turned down in a half-snarl, and she glanced towards Merpsichore. Her ears pricked up, and she caught the scent on the wind which seemed to be bothering Merpsichore - a rat indeed. She hoped Bella wouldn't make her wait much longer.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/09/2017 12:36 PM

Merpsichore tensed when Bella shifted into the shadows. She was not afraid, but she was alert, continuously tasting the air. The rat was close, and she tried to pinpoint its location, but the breezy nature of their location rendered this impossible. She flicked her tongue back and forth in frustration, and caught Melline's eye, chirping softly in acknowledgement. She was ready for a fight, and hoped it would be a fast one.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous