A wide open area of flat, grassy land and rocky trenches, supposedly a wide range of ancient civilizations once lived here. Species that like wide, open areas, such as Gyrophants, Serraptors, and Sahound, thrive here, though only the agile survive. (+3 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Vast Plains

Great Minds and Fools Alike {Self, M:L}

Postby Saahs » 08/13/2017 11:26 PM

Noah stared out across the seemingly endless terrain of grass, grass, and yet more grass. There was nothing but grass and the most mild of little hills. It was all so flat, oh gods it was so flat out here he could lose his mind within minutes. Why were they even out here?

"Hodjarl, what are we doing out here..? We're going to get radiation from the trenches," he complained, looking back to the elderly man. What was Hodjarl even doing? Noah's brow furrowed, and he turned to his mentor,adjusting his brown and green scarf. "Hodjarl," he repeated, louder this time, "What are we doing out here?"
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Re: Great Minds and Fools Alike {Self, M:L}

Postby Saahs » 08/13/2017 11:31 PM

Hodjarl was, in fact, toting with him a large... picnic basket. As an ancient twig that was more beard than man, he was having visible trouble with carrying the basket, both hands gripping the handle with white strain in his knuckles, and his back was hunched over just to keep the basket from dropping to the ground.

"Well, my young and sad little student," he croaked, his voice almost a whistle as well as a squeak, "We are out here, to enjoy a nice lunch without the interruption of our familiars or any of those pesky books flying around." Engulfed in layers upon layers of robes the colour of burning embers, Hodjarl's attire was... anticlimactically unfitting for him, as he wheezes his way towards his pupil.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/13/2017 11:38 PM

He couldn't believe it. Noah's shoulders sagged, and his eyelids dropped halfway over his deep brown eyes. "... But it's two in the morning," he pointed out with a tired sigh. Gods, his teacher was a strange one. No, he was outright nuts. A right cuckoo that practically pirouetted around the bend. They could be practising spells, discovering old rituals, or trying out curses Noah had yet to even be taught. But, no. Apparently, apparently! They were going on a fucking picnic, in the middle of the night.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/13/2017 11:44 PM

But hodjarl waggled a finger, which cost him a high price in the form of gravity. "Ah," he hummed, struggling to pull the basket back up out of the grass. "But we woke up this evening, or at least you did. Do you young folk usually get up at such ghastly hours?" The old man hootled in amusement, shaking his head so that his beard draped itself over his shoulder. With a tremendous wheeze, he hoisted the basket up, embracing it in both arms like one would an old friend. Or, in this case a rival, as he had to squeeze with all his might to keep from losing his grip and dropping the blasted thing on his poor feet, only protected by pointy-toed cloth boots.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/13/2017 11:49 PM

Rolling his eyes, Noah moseyed over to Hodjarl, head bowed with a low sigh and hands stuffed in his brown coat's pockets. This wizard was ridiculous. If it weren't for the fact that he'd watched him at least cast a few spells, Noah would have taken him to be a sham. He almost did, now. Watching him carry the basket that was clearly too heavy for him without any magical aid was enough to give him a headache.

"You know you could make that thing a lot lighter, right?" He flicked a hand up in something similar to a come-hither gesture, blue and green sigils twirling around his index finger and then around the basket. Its weight was suddenly that of a handful of feathers. "I know you can, goodness knows you like to make me float about the room to reach the high shelves enough to."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/13/2017 11:53 PM

With the abrupt lack of weight, Hodjarl was left just about doing a backflip with the basket in his arms, a shrill yelp escaping his whiskery lips. "Oh, old toad's warts!" he exclaimed as he landed on his bony rear with a soft thud. Luckily, the grass had softened his fall, lest he would have had a much harder landing.

Noah watched on as the old man slowly pulled himself up with a soft groan, hunched over while he rubbed at his offended tail bone. "Give an old man a warning before you flutter off with spells like that, my dear boy. Could give me one of those heart attacks, then where would you be?" He peered over at the young man, expectantly, with one oversized eyebrow arched.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 1:29 AM

Well for starters, Noah thought to himself venomously, I'd be out looking for a mentor that didn't waste my time with trivial chores and constantly falling asleep on me. But regardless, he walked over to Hodjarl and helped him up to his feet, holding his hands out to relieve the old wizard of the basket. "Sorry, won't happen again," was all he said in a quiet mumble.

Taking the basket, he stepped up to the top of the measly hill (which was, sadly, the biggest one around there), and set the basket down and opened it up to have a look inside. All it held was a few sandwiches, some apples, and corked glass bottles. His lips pressed into a thin line. His master had trouble carrying this? Noah looked up at Hodjarl with a tired, incredulous frown. "... Well," he sighed, setting out the sandwiches, apples, and drinks. "Let's have lunch... at two in the morning.."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 1:33 AM

Hodjarl hummed and wheezes appreciatively as his pupil helped him up to his feet. "Thank you, young Noah. Now, set that up, why don't you?" He handed off the basket, as eager to get it off his hands as a knight was eager to slay a dragon. Goodness knew why those hooligans wanted to do such a thing to the poor dragons. The creatures only did what was natural to them, while knights did the unnatural.

But such were the topics of another time, another place. Now, and here, it was time for the old Hodjarl to sit himself down next to the basket. Just as he'd gotten himself all stood upright, too. But not everything was meant to last for that long, now was it? Getting comfortable in the grass, he gently collected a sandwich and one of the bottles, twisting out the cork to take a sip. Careful, of course, not to let it dribble into his beard. "Now," he rasped, looking Noah over. "Tell me what you see?"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 1:40 AM

Noah lowered himself down to sit only once Hodjarl had, legs crossing as he cast a small charm on himself to fend off curious and hungry little insects. Which, his mentor didn't seem too keen on doing himself. Oh well. If the old man wanted to be eaten away by bugs, who was Noah to stop him from following his silly dreams?

But his rueful trail of thought was interrupted, by more rueful thoughts in regards to Hodjarl's strange question. Noah looked up at him, blinking. "See?" Despite knowing what he would see, the man looked around, mostly to humour his teacher. "I see... Grass. And over here, I see... more grass. There's some grass over there." He pointed out each unique and interesting trait the Vast Plains had to offer. Which. Was grass. Lots and lots of grass.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 1:45 AM

Hodjarl watched as Noah gestured out to all the grass surrounding them. Unsurprised by his student's dry response, as well as his lack of vision, Hodjarl bit into his sandwich and continued to listen as Noah went on about how, if he looked behind himself, there would be grass. If this weren't an important picnic, he'd be amused by the young man's antics.

But this was an important picnic, and he was rather tired of hearing the word "grass". "But tell me, young Noah. Is there anything else besides grass?" he asked, taking another bite from his sandwich and brushing crumbs away from his beard.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 1:48 AM

He had no idea what Hodjarl was asking of him. Was this some form of I Spy game? What was he, four?? Noah huffed, reaching for a sandwich and unwrapping it. He didn't respond until he'd taken a few bites from it. Not like he'd eaten since yesterday morning, Hodjarl could wait for him to fill his stomach a little.

"Well let's see..." he droned, squinting around. In the distance, he could see trees, or at least he thought they were trees. He raised a hand, waving it idly in the silhouette's direction. "There's a forest that way... But other than that, I don't see anything. What are you getting at, exactly?" His head tipped back so he could look at Hodjarl with his brows furrowed inquisitively.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 1:54 AM

And there it was. All the confirmation Hodjarl needed to know that Noah was indeed not ready to learn anything new. At least, not anything the boy would consider new. The wizard set aside his sandwich, and took a drink from his bottle. "Evidently not," he agreed, his tone more amused than frustrated, despite his inner disappointment. "You do not see anything because you are not looking, my boy. You are using your eyes, rather than your mind and the skills I have taught you."

He gestured to Noah's sandwich, and it transformed into what it truly was: just a blob of uncooked dough. The apples' illusion fell, revealing them to be the same, and the bottles were now completely empty save for his own. "I have taught you how to see magic, have I not? Tell me, why do you not look for it at all times? You never know what you'll discover to be true, and to be false."

With that, he took another bite from his perfectly fine and un-enchanted sandwich.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 2:05 AM

Noah stared at Hodjarl as he spoke, eyes blinking slowly. Then his attention was drawn to the blob of dough he was now holding, double taking to bark in alarm and peel it away from his knees. "You made me eat raw dough??" He was physically incapable of raising his voice to a shout, but the frustration was there nonetheless. With nowhere to really put the dough, Noah just plopped it right back into the basket. "Why would I use that all the time..? If I suspect something's wrong, then I'll use it... but always? That just sounds like a waste of energy.."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 5:45 AM

Hodjarl pointed a knobby finger in Noah's direction, tut-tutting him. "Ah, now why are you a warlock if you don't know how to utilise your powers, young man? Yes, it is wiser to refrain from using your powers constantly, but looking out for magic sources and other powers is not one of those powers you need to keep in check. It is..." He leaned back, taking in a breath as he tried to pinpoint the correct wording. "It's a precaution, Noah. It's low-energy-- in fact, it barely even takes but a pinprick of your powers to take a peek, and then it doesn't need any more to last the rest of the day."

Sitting upright again, he combed out the front of his beard. "I told you all this the first time I began teaching you how to use your sight. And that is why your training has tickled down to a stop, my boy. You have magic now, but you've yet to try and learn on your own when and how to use it in your daily life." With that, he finished off the rest of his sandwich.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/14/2017 5:52 AM

For a good long while, Noah could only sit there and blink his eyes slowly. A few moments passed, before he could feel warmth flush to his cheeks out of embarrassment. But to cover the realisation that he'd not been doing enough on his end of their bargain, he blurted, "But then what's with all the weird errands? Why are you so picky with where I purchase spell components and potions?"

After another minute, though, he leaned over to look at the dough in the basket. It was still dough, sad and blobby down inside the bottom of the basket. His shoulders sagged as he sighed, and he waved his hand over the dough. It crackled and rose, gradually transforming into a fully baked loaf of bread. Which looked much more appealing than a sad blob. Glancing up at Hodjarl's look of approval, he reached in and grabbed the fresh loaf, taking a bite out of it. This time, it did taste a lot less fabricated.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer